Gundam

Guest · 44295

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: June 29, 2014, 05:29:25 AM
My disconnect is a few of the spin offs honestly, funny though for me I love G-Gundam for being silly over the top fun but I loathe Gundam Wing for be an example of everything that shouldn't be done in a Gundam series.

Personally, I couldn't stand G-Gundam when it aired on Toonami. I just couldn't get into it at all.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: June 29, 2014, 05:31:52 AM
Personally, I couldn't stand G-Gundam when it aired on Toonami. I just couldn't get into it at all.

Fair enough, even as a G-Gundam fan I can totally understand why it wouldn't appeal to everyone, it's an acquired taste.  XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: June 29, 2014, 06:22:35 AM
I would've been fine with G-Gundam if it stuck with the tournament stuff. It was everything outside of that which I could not stand.

Wing is a favorite of mine more for nostalgia & mech design more than anything. And, as flawed as it could be at times, I actually enjoyed the story of what Treize was trying to accomplish, with his manly man-ness!

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: June 29, 2014, 06:31:11 AM
I liked Trieze too, his English VA was perfectly chosen, as for G-Gundam like I said it's not for everyone; I just like sunrise took a risk with it rather than doing the rinse and repeat of the classic UC stories.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: June 29, 2014, 06:43:34 AM
As I said with Destiny, to each their own.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: June 29, 2014, 07:45:54 AM
The Devil Gundam overstayed its welcome, in my opinion. Having some side stuff outside the tournament wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but when it feels like nothing gets accomplished for the duration of that time, it starts feeling long and drawn out.

Wing I still enjoy for what it is. It has issues, sure, but at least the story felt like it had a good pace. The characters remained consistent throughout as well, which is something that can't be said for several series. Maybe too consistent in some cases I guess, but that doesn't bother me too much knowing many people who are that way.

I have a feeling that I enjoyed AGE more than the majority of people did, if only for the concept.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: June 29, 2014, 07:47:58 AM
I still have yet to watch AGE. I'll get around to it eventually.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: June 29, 2014, 05:02:28 PM
I still have yet to watch AGE. I'll get around to it eventually.

AGE isn't bad or anything but it is flawed, the series suffers mostly from pacing issues.

Generation 1 takes to long to get to the good bits
Generation 2 doesn't take long enough to set things up.
Generation 3 fixes these issues but devolves into SEED like story elements near the end.

Age has wonderful mech designs though and Flit might be one of my favorite gundam protagonists now, it's the first time we've seen a character grow up from young kid to old man. You'll find something to enjoy from it for sure.

Offline Adelaide

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: July 09, 2014, 12:32:37 AM
I started with Wing honestly. It was... lacking. Gundam 00 did a much better job of being Gundam than Wing personally. I am SO glad that I'm not alone on my dislike of G Gundam either.

But yes, do enjoy yourself some AGE, PB. The worst of it is definitely Generation 2 IMHO. I didn't care for Asemu and it felt like it was over before it began. Which is fine, because Generation 3 was more interesting anyway. But ya know... might be because I liked SEED? Whatever.

I should go back and re-watch it sometime.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: July 09, 2014, 12:38:24 AM
I am SO glad that I'm not alone on my dislike of G Gundam either.

This is why I loved Build Fighters so much. It's everything I wanted out of G Gundam, but didn't get.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: July 09, 2014, 01:29:33 AM
Generation 2 was kind of lacking, yeah... which is too bad, because I liked the design of AGE-2 the most. Oh well.

I enjoyed the pace of Generation 1, personally. It was definitely slower paced, but due to that it was probably the most fleshed out. It really sets the stage for Flit, and watching him age into an older man in the other generations was pretty well done.

Asemu... well, I like him in Gen 3.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: July 10, 2014, 02:01:24 AM
Yeah Asemu gets...whiny after they head into space, he was better when generation 2 was still on the colony; kinda had a super hero vibe with his double life there.  XD

Archer

Reply #87 on: July 11, 2014, 07:26:04 AM
[ARC] Gundam Extreme Vs Maxi Boost: Brave Commander x Inf. Justice vs Xi Gundam x 00 Gundam

The Brave Commander is a really nice machine, I wish it and the Flag (as well as its many variations) were featured in more games.

Jeez it wasn't even that long ago I got Full Boost and I'm already impatient for the next one, I suppose that's how it goes with these games.

Speaking of which, FB is having a summer sale of all its DLC.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: July 11, 2014, 07:31:11 AM
Yeah, I always liked the Brave Commander from 00, as well as the Flags. Great overall designs on them.

And I still need to pick up this game.

Archer

Reply #89 on: July 14, 2014, 08:25:18 AM
Some more info about Rencoguista:

TOYSUP!#03 富野インタビュー
・キャピタルタワー建設はRC元年。宇宙側から建設。人類はレール網周囲の居住区に移り住んで疲弊した大地と自然の回復を待つことにした
・UCのスペースノイドの生き残りというか残党の様な連中が月の裏側に拠点を作っていてキャピタルタワーと対立抗争する
・金星付近に水のコロニー、海のコロニーを設定。人類が地球を離れた際に心理的な面においても海を必要とするのではないか。
規模は直径100km深さ150mの薄い円盤状。
平べったい水の塊が宇宙に浮かんでいる絵を思い付いた時に「これでイケる!」手応えを感じた
・水のコロニーはまだ誰も映像にしてないから自慢していいよね。水深は潜水艦が行動可能な深さから割り出した。
宇宙を背景にして潜水艦が出せる 海の底には水を支える構造物があるので間を縫う戦闘シーンも出せる
・「レコンキスタ」にガンダムの再生、取り戻しの意味はない
・人口減・環境悪化の原因は、UCの間に覇権を巡って戦争をくりかえしたため

TOYSUP!#03 Tomino Interview
-Capital Tower was built on the first year of RC. They started building the space side first. Mankind moved residence to near to the rail network to wait for the exhausted earth and nature to recover.
-The surviving spacenoids from the UC era, you might call them remnants, build their own place on the far side of the moon and oppose the capital tower.
-There's a colony of water/ocean near Venus. What mankind needs most, psychologically, when away from Earth, is the sea. 100 km diameter 150m wide disc. He envisioned a disc of water just floating in space and decided it'd be a great image. Now there can be submarines in space. Also there's a structure below it holding up the water where battle scenes can take place.
-Reconquista (not guista in here) means the rebirth of Gundam, NOT a retaking.
-The reason for depopulation and environmental degradation is the wars for supremacy that took place during the UC era.

マニニィ 「ベルリィに負けるな! ルイン!」
ノレド 「ベルリィ! 三千五百回生を盛り上げろ!」
ベルリィ 「あっ!?」後ろからドツかれて、つんのめるが、踏み止まる。
ルイン 「(誰にいうともなく)年下を辱めるなよ!」
生徒A 「今の体の動きだって、尊敬しちゃうよぉ」
生徒B 「ルインこそ総監殿に取り入ろうって、ベルリィをかばうのか!? さすがだなぁ」
ベルリィ 「あれ!?」
ベルリィの素っ頓狂な声に一同が見る。石壁の上にノレドがライヤを引き上げて、踊らせようとしている。

□ 校庭の別の場所
生徒A 「あれ、どこの女子だ!?」
生徒B 「キャピタタァーが監視している女子のはずだぜ?」
ノレドたち 「(オフ)ウォォォォ!」
ルイン 「もういいから! マニニィ、この子どうしたんだよ」
マニニィ 「あたしたちのクラスに編入してきたんだよ。記憶が戻るまで面倒みろってさ」

Scenario (script) sample from a book Tomino wrote on the basics of visual media that went on sale in 2011
First half of an episode, "When the G's G-Setter activates!"
"Grendodard and Saint Lason Academy" instead of the "Saint Flower academy"
tl;dr Belry defeated a woman pirate and her robot is being kept in a warehouse in the school; the "Capitator" is afraid because said robot wasn't made in Ameria.

宇宙エレベーターの本
・UC時代に資源を消費しつくして、地球は死滅寸前に追い込まれた。
そのためRCは重工業を再生させずにキャピタルタワー周辺に重工業を集中させた。
キャピタルはその為に資本の意。
・RCの人口は1/10以下。
・タワーがアマゾン上空なのは、緑が残っているのはその周辺だけだろうと思ったから。
・タワー基部は河と海の間を移動できる。1000年の間、移動は当然あったという想定。
・ゴンドラをMSの20mから逆算したが球は容積が小さいので失敗した。でも直さず連結すれば良い。
・宇宙エレベーターの速度は500km/h。
・キャピタルタワーの先端は宗教的聖域。
・今の10代の子供たちに50年後の地球をどうするかの解を求めてくれよという物語

Space Elevator book
-The UC era used up most of Earth's resources and manking is coming close to extinction
-RC didn't bring back heavy industry but focused it on around the capital tower
-Capital tower's capital means capital as in economic terms
-RC's population is under 1/10th (of UC's?)
-The tower's in the amazon because Tomino thought that'd probably be the only place on Earth where greenery is left at all
-The base of the tower can move between the river and sea.
-They messed up the size of the gondola but instead of fixing it just have the MS connect to it.
-Space elevator's speed is 500km/h
-Top of the capital tower is a religious place, holy land
-Story is to ask the children of 10+ years to think about what to do with Earth 50 years from now

ガンダム展
富野インタビュー

・G-レコでは「愛とロマンと冒険」を全面に打ち出す。
・現代文明の問題点を抽象的に示す事で子供たちに具体的にこういう問題を考えてくれというメッセージを示す。
・クンタラは人類が滅びかけた時に、共食いをやってエサになった人種。クンタラは人種差別問題、文明崩壊の恐ろしさ、人の業の深さの象徴。
(なぜそこまで深く突っ込むのか?)思春期に真剣に見てくれる人がいる。トリトンでアニメは思春期に強く訴えかけられる可能性を確信した。優れた物語というのはたとえ絵空事であっても「自分達がどう生きている現実をどう捉え対応していくか」という受け手側の思考を刺激する。現実に向かう回路を絶対に持っている。

Gundam exhibition Tomino interview
-G-Reco will feature love, romanticism and adventure
-By featuring the problems of modern society he wants children to think about said problems
-The Cuntara are the people who became food when mankind turned to cannibalism at the brink of extinction. They represent the problem of racism, the horrors of the collapse of society, and the depths of human sin
-(Why go so far?) Because children in puberty watch anime. From Triton he learned that there's a strong possibility of anime speaking to children in puberty. Even if it's fantasy, a good story will make the viewer think of how to apply what they have learned to real life. There is a circuit in there that leads to the real world.

つづき
・G-レコを作るにあたって「ガンダム離れ」を意識し「視聴者は子供だ」と徹底的に思った。
・手垢にまみれたガンダムだと対象年齢が上がってしまう。
・できるだけ物語の原理原則にもどるため若いスタッフの意見も無条件に聞いた部分もある。
・G-レコでは以前のガンダムに比べ「共存していかなければ」という皮膚感覚が強く出ている。
・共食いまでいった人類がその後千年を乗り越えてきた過程で「身近にいる人を許す」という感覚が育ってきたのではないか。
・物語背景として極限状態を描く事で「現実世界でそれはやりたくないね」という事を次世代に伝えたい。
・このじいちゃんだって、そこまで人が愚かしいとは思っていない。

-When creating G-Reco, Tomino made note of how children aren't watching Gundam anymore and is trying his best to make a show for kids.
-If it were his usual thing that viewers' age would rise.
-In order to keep the story to the basics he consulted young staff and sought their opinions on everything.
-G-Reco has a stronger message of co-existence than other previous Gundam series.
-Mankind went as far as to cannibalism but after a thousand years learned to forgive.
-This dark background is to tell the next generation "you don't want that to happen, do you?"
-Tomino doesn't think humanity is THAT stupid

Archer

Reply #90 on: July 17, 2014, 06:46:01 AM

Seven years have passed since Sei Iori won the 7th Gunpla Battle Championship World Tournament. The Gunpla Battle Championship is now run by Yajima Trading. With new rules and battle modes, the game's popularity has become even more widespread.

However, the Seiho Academy that Sei Iori once attended has failed to catch onto the trend. The only member of the school's Gunpla Battle Club is its president, middle-schooler Fumina Hoshino. Currently there is no way the club can participate in the middle an high-school division of the upcoming All-Japan Gunpla Battle Championship, where players fight in teams of three.

Then Fumina meets a new transfer student. He is Sekai Kamiki, a young martial artist who has been traveling with his master. Together with a young Gunpla builder named Yuuma Kousaka (China's brother,) they finally have three members for their team.

Sekai Kamiki, Yuuma Kousaka, and Fumino Hoshino - Team "TRI FIGHTERS" is about to begin its challenge!

Airs October 2014 on Televi Tokyo.

Mecha designers: Okawara, Ishigaki, Teraoka, Ebikawa, 2 SD designers and real life builder NAOKI.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: July 17, 2014, 06:54:03 AM
So hyped for this. I like the Gundam designs too. Thanks Ruri!

Archer

Reply #92 on: July 17, 2014, 07:57:08 AM

Build Burning Gundam
The Gunpla used by Sekai Kamiki. Its level of completion is very high, and it can be controlled with ease even by Gunpla Battle beginners such as Sekai. The Build Burning Gundam excels in melee combat, where Sekai can make use of his Jigen Haoh school martial arts techniques.

Lighting Gundam
Yuuma Kousaka’s Gunpla, which has been built based on the Re-GZ from "MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM: CHAR'S COUNTERATTACK." The Back Weapon System has been improved with Yuuma's own modifications. This Gunpla specializes in long-range shooting.

Winning Gundam
An original SD Gundam Gunpla built by Fumina Hoshino for the All-Japan Gunpla Battle Championship. It makes full use of its characteristics as an SD Gundam, and is loaded with various gimmicks such as recombining transformation.

Yuuma Kousaka
A second-year student at Seiho Academy middle school, and younger brother of China Kousaka. Yuuma is a gifted young Gunpla builder, with enough talent to win the Grand Prix in a modeling tournament's Artistic Gunpla Contest.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #93 on: July 17, 2014, 07:59:56 AM
I saw some promo screens of an older China writing a letter to her brother. Apparently she lives in France now!

Archer

Reply #94 on: July 17, 2014, 08:22:20 AM

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #95 on: July 18, 2014, 01:59:48 AM
Hmm, I'm liking the plot points and designs of both series so far. They both have potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #96 on: October 08, 2014, 07:29:04 PM
Build Fighters Try started and it was fantastic. Same great feeling as the first series!

Archer

Reply #97 on: October 10, 2014, 12:36:51 PM

thanks banagher

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #98 on: October 10, 2014, 12:54:00 PM
Well, Bananas did help until UC0100. The years after that...

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #99 on: October 10, 2014, 03:58:13 PM
Well, Bananas did help for the first 100 years. The years after that...
Bananas? o-O

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection