Why do some people hate/dislike the PSX-era Rockman X games more?

Irregular Ass-R-Us · 20418

Offline Irregular Ass-R-Us

• Dedicated Pompous Gimpy Douchebag With A Burning Passion! (◥▶◀◤).
  • Robot Master
  • Ultra Super Godly Royal [Top Spin]. (◥▶◀◤)
    • View Profile
Hi guys.

I wanted to ask one thing. I noticed some people hate/dislike the PSX-era Rockman X games. I want to ask why is that? I love all the Rockman X games equally (Excluding X7. That was OK). I loved the Super Famicon games because i loved the music , sprites and gameplay. Everything was perfect. I had those same feeling for the PSX games. Maybe i did not like X5 much because of Alia. But other than that i loved the PSX-era games. X6 was special for me  <3. X4 was amazing and really well made out of the first three because it was really high quality made (I played Rockman X4 so i did not suffer the bad voice acting in Megaman X4). I feel like i do for X4 for all three of them.

I can understand that some people hated the 3D static backgrounds and platforms which i can understand. Other than that i see no reason why they are hated/disliked. I liked The sprites, backgrounds and music. (The Music is superbly phenomenal).

I would like to hear why some of you guys dislike/hate them.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 06:39:59 PM
Some people like and dislike lots of things... I don't know how you get the idea that this particular hate is noticeable, honestly. :\

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 06:41:33 PM
Some people i met really despise the psx era games. I just would like to know why they hate/dislike it.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 06:46:15 PM
I don't mind the PSX games so much, X4 has some boring music but that's subjective.

The Air-Dash in the PSX X games is ass though.

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 06:47:35 PM
That is true there is some delay in it.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 06:57:36 PM
- Feels kind of sluggish in the controls compared to the earlier games in the series (particularly the dash... which I use pretty much at all times).
- I'm not a fan of the general style they use for the backgrounds (X5 and X6, particularly).
- The music, while still good overall, doesn't hold up compared to the earlier games (except possibly X3... that one is very hit and miss for me).

Those are the main reasons I don't like them quite as much. I still like them, but it's just not quite the same for me.

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 07:04:19 PM
- Feels kind of sluggish in the controls compared to the earlier games in the series (particularly the dash... which I use pretty much at all times).
- I'm not a fan of the general style they use for the backgrounds (X5 and X6, particularly).
- The music, while still good overall, doesn't hold up compared to the earlier games (except possibly X3... that one is very hit and miss for me).

Those are the main reasons I don't like them quite as much. I still like them, but it's just not quite the same for me.

- The controls in X4/5 do indeed feel sluggish but in X6 i found them to be 99% perfect.
- I Agree on the backgrounds. The backgrounds did not look beautiful and colourful as they did in the SF games.
- I disagree (Except X4, It is a hit and miss.) The soundtrack was fitting and amazing and kept me going in stages. But i do know what you mean with some of the soundtrack being repetitive and boring. I particularly disliked Magma Dragaards in X4 and Makoeens X5 themes because they made me feel bored sometimes.

Thanks for sharing! 8)

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 07:08:32 PM
Really the only PSX title I didn't like was X3. Way better on the SNES. But thus far I've played through the first three and I'm on the fourth, poking through the next two, and I have no problem with them.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 07:09:39 PM
IMO only one of the PSX X games was actually good: X4.  X5 and X6 are both pretty terrible and as such the PSX era kinda suffers from that.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 07:20:12 PM
IMO only one of the PSX X games was actually good: X4.  X5 and X6 are both pretty terrible and as such the PSX era kinda suffers from that.

I liked X4 and X6.

X5 was depressing and it had Alias interruptions. X6 in all honestly was an exhilarating ride for me. I personally liked the bosses, levels and story more than X4/X5.

X4 had a really splendid production value and it was amazing, but the gameplay felt slow for me and the story could have been a bit more better . X6 felt really fast paced and it has a better story (excluding how zero repaired himself), it gives me a really high feeling of joy when playing it. X5 was not as good as the other two. I did not feel as pumped or excited when playing it because the whole theme and atmosphere felt depressing. The gameplay in X5 on the other hand was really amazing, i loved it. X6 had a very disappointing boss which let me down.

So i think the three both have equal flaws and their good sides. I still love them as much as the Famicom games.

Thanks for sharing  8)

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 08:06:24 PM
I actually think the framework for the PSX-era games was fantastic.  Game feel was terrific, the control felt precise yet fluid, visual design was terrific and the ability to fully play as different characters was a plus.

The problem?  Level design was horrendous.  HORRENDOUS.  And with how little else changes, level design is pretty much what makes or breaks a Mega Man game.

X4's biggest problem was that most of its stages were straight lines with enemies strewn about, but the way that they broke up the stages into two parts hurt more as well.  For most of the stages, you can literally just run from one end to the other without even trying to dodge enemies and you'll make it to the second half of the stage without dying, whereupon you get your health refilled.  There's no incentive for a player to actually perform well throughout the stage, and there's little interesting in the stages to bother with anyway.  Everything felt too cramped, exploration was essentially non-existent (with even powerups just hiding in plain site), and the post-Maverick stages were basically just boss rooms one after the other.

X5 was a step in the right direction in terms of level design, making more open stages that branched off in different directions and actually had a design to them that extended beyond "straight line", but it ruined that by all its other framework problems like the poorly-implemented time limit, armor upgrades and Maverick leveling system.  Alia also got in the way causing more player deaths than the actual stage design, particularly in the Skiver's stage where a text bubble will actually stop you from being able to take out a bomb in time, or in Mattrex's stage where a text bubble will stop you mid-jump when you're heading towards a safe zone.  Stage ideas like fighting off the submarine miniboss in Duff's stage was neat, but was too cramped and definitely needed some fleshing out.

X6 is the worst game I've ever played from a major developer.  Stage design is garbage, boss design is garbage, the gameplay is garbage, and you can tell that nobody working on this game had any idea of what good game design is supposed to look like.  I wouldn't wish this game upon my worst enemies.

Mega Man Unlimited - Playthrough, Review and Criticism
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxNyTfF87xMRmb6jqKKTAmOrElKZkv3om

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 09:05:49 PM
I actually think the framework for the PSX-era games was fantastic.  Game feel was terrific, the control felt precise yet fluid, visual design was terrific and the ability to fully play as different characters was a plus.

The problem?  Level design was horrendous.  HORRENDOUS.  And with how little else changes, level design is pretty much what makes or breaks a Mega Man game.

X4's biggest problem was that most of its stages were straight lines with enemies strewn about, but the way that they broke up the stages into two parts hurt more as well.  For most of the stages, you can literally just run from one end to the other without even trying to dodge enemies and you'll make it to the second half of the stage without dying, whereupon you get your health refilled.  There's no incentive for a player to actually perform well throughout the stage, and there's little interesting in the stages to bother with anyway.  Everything felt too cramped, exploration was essentially non-existent (with even powerups just hiding in plain site), and the post-Maverick stages were basically just boss rooms one after the other.

X5 was a step in the right direction in terms of level design, making more open stages that branched off in different directions and actually had a design to them that extended beyond "straight line", but it ruined that by all its other framework problems like the poorly-implemented time limit, armor upgrades and Maverick leveling system.  Alia also got in the way causing more player deaths than the actual stage design, particularly in the Skiver's stage where a text bubble will actually stop you from being able to take out a bomb in time, or in Mattrex's stage where a text bubble will stop you mid-jump when you're heading towards a safe zone.  Stage ideas like fighting off the submarine miniboss in Duff's stage was neat, but was too cramped and definitely needed some fleshing out.

X6 is the worst game I've ever played from a major developer.  Stage design is garbage, boss design is garbage, the gameplay is garbage, and you can tell that nobody working on this game had any idea of what good game design is supposed to look like.  I wouldn't wish this game upon my worst enemies.

Agreed on level design. It was garbage indeed. For me extreme mode makes no difference because as you said you can basically rush through the level no problem with just barely dodging enemies. I think that the levels should have been sprited rather than have those ugly static 3D backgrounds.

Even though they have their negatives . I still like them personally despite all the negatives. Other than some stuff in X6. The gameplay was no different from the others. Other than i pretty much agree with this.

Thank you for sharing  8) that was a really good post.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 09:14:34 PM
I have to agree with Mike on some of the stage design. I mean, don't get me wrong; [tornado fang] X3's stage design sometimes, that stuff's just malicious. But X4 really was a bit too straight. Some sections (Storm Owl part 2) were way, way too short as well, X5 had weird pacing issues and the tedious backtracking for getting all the armor or 100%ing the game (outside of parts, screw bothering with those), and X6.. I'm not going to cite the infamous bit for Gate's Lab 1, because we've discussed it to death and Hypershell might get me for it. But Blaze Heatnix is probably a good example. The same boss reused several times, and one of the biggest dickmove autoscrolling sequences in the entire franchise...

But beyond issues like that, I mostly get annoyed with the PSX era for the heavy focus on Zero. I know Inafune created Zero to steal the spotlight, but X4 and 5 were really blatant about it, to the point that Zero skips a(n admittedly laughable) boss fight and generally gets more story in X4 while becoming the primary catalyst of the entire plot of X5. And if the series had ended there, then Zero would've even been the one to finish Sigma for good. I like the guy as a character, but it just felt a bit too much for X's own series.. X6 kinda eased on the Zero focus, but he was still a major catalyst and pulls a Protoman party-crashing trick with his magical appearance at the end if you don't save him.

Then Capcom did the same thing with Axl, but that's a different subject. Either way, I still love X4 and 5 over 2 and 3, if only because I grew up with the PSX games more than the SNES ones (albeit I can appreciate X1 the most overall), but their faults have only become a bit more glaring over the years.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 09:18:58 PM
I thought X4's levels were fine until you cleared all of the Maverick stages.  Space Port and Final Weapon are the most bland, uninspired fortress levels I've ever seen in a Megaman game.  I'd say most of X4's stages also suffer from being a little on the easy side too.  X5's stages were good but everything else that was bad about X5 overshadowed that.  Heck, Alia single-handedly prevents you from enjoying a stage due to her unavoidable text boxes.

IMO I felt that X2 had the strongest overall level design in the X series.  The layouts were very open while the stages remained challenging as well.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 09:25:10 PM
I have to agree with Mike on some of the stage design. I mean, don't get me wrong; [tornado fang] X3's stage design sometimes, that stuff's just malicious. But X4 really was a bit too straight. Some sections (Storm Owl part 2) were way, way too short as well, X5 had weird pacing issues and the tedious backtracking for getting all the armor or 100%ing the game (outside of parts, screw bothering with those), and X6.. I'm not going to cite the infamous bit for Gate's Lab 1, because we've discussed it to death and Hypershell might get me for it. But Blaze Heatnix is probably a good example. The same boss reused several times, and one of the biggest dickmove autoscrolling sequences in the entire franchise...

But beyond issues like that, I mostly get annoyed with the PSX era for the heavy focus on Zero. I know Inafune created Zero to steal the spotlight, but X4 and 5 were really blatant about it, to the point that Zero skips a(n admittedly laughable) boss fight and generally gets more story in X4 while becoming the primary catalyst of the entire plot of X5. And if the series had ended there, then Zero would've even been the one to finish Sigma for good. I like the guy as a character, but it just felt a bit too much for X's own series.. X6 kinda eased on the Zero focus, but he was still a major catalyst and pulls a Protoman party-crashing trick with his magical appearance at the end if you don't save him.

Then Capcom did the same thing with Axl, but that's a different subject. Either way, I still love X4 and 5 over 2 and 3, if only because I grew up with the PSX games more than the SNES ones (albeit I can appreciate X1 the most overall), but their faults have only become a bit more glaring over the years.

I highly agree with this. The stages in X4 feel too short because they are separated into two parts and are too straight forward which makes them feel fast and really easy to do. I also dislike Zero becoming the main character, i am a fan of Zero but the game is called Rockman X. I think Zero should have been more of a mentor to X. In X4 i disliked how Zero got a bit more character development than X. I pretty much agree with you.

Thanks for another great post  8).

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 09:30:46 PM
I thought X4's levels were fine until you cleared all of the Maverick stages.  Space Port and Final Weapon are the most bland, uninspired fortress levels I've ever seen in a Megaman game.  I'd say most of X4's stages also suffer from being a little on the easy side too.  X5's stages were good but everything else that was bad about X5 overshadowed that.  Heck, Alia single-handedly prevents you from enjoying a stage due to her unavoidable text boxes.

IMO I felt that X2 had the strongest overall level design in the X series.  The layouts were very open while the stages remained challenging as well.

I actually liked the spaceport stage it felt as you were in a hurry to stop the Colonel and also it felt as you were high in the air, the song was very good and suitable. The final weapon though was terrible and bland, the music and just the whole design bored me and made me yawn. X5 stages were OK except they felt dull and empty for me. and with Alia interrupting you, it felt awful.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 11:25:32 PM
A lot of people?

Because it's "Not muh X1".

Theres tons of people who hate them just because they are not the SNES games. hell, lots of people hate the X series in general because it's not NES Classic MM.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 12:15:45 AM
If there's one thing I really liked about X5, it's how all of its stages were mission-based.  I do like the idea of going into a stage and having a goal to reach, like taking out the submarine or defusing all the bombs or whathaveyou.  They did more with this idea in X8 and it worked out much better.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 01:27:02 AM
Preaching to the choir, but yeah, very much agreed that the level design is what stands out the most about what I disliked about the 32-bit trilogy. Along with the fact that especially with X6 (as I elaborated on a while ago), that the controls were wonky as hell.

I mean, when you're playing as Zero in X6, you're on one of those silly wires traversing a chasm, and you accidentally press a button sequence that makes Zero DIVE TO HIS DEATH, when you just wanted to jump up and slash an enemy that was coming in too close? That's a problem, and should've been something that your QA testers caught if you gave your game more than less than a year's worth of dev time.

It's a shame too, considering that the 32-bit trilogy had some of the best "combat sandbox" aspects this side of the Zero series.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 02:30:54 AM
But beyond issues like that, I mostly get annoyed with the PSX era for the heavy focus on Zero. I know Inafune created Zero to steal the spotlight, but X4 and 5 were really blatant about it, to the point that Zero skips a(n admittedly laughable) boss fight and generally gets more story in X4 while becoming the primary catalyst of the entire plot of X5. And if the series had ended there, then Zero would've even been the one to finish Sigma for good.
He also died in a boss explosion irrelevant to whether or not he was even on-screen during said explosion.

I'm not stupid enough to try and argue that Zero was not a major focus of the PS1 arc.  I'm just saying, while there is the appearance that they set out to sing Zero's praises, there is also the end result that says they really sucked at it.

I will also argue that despite Zero still being the source of conflict in X6, X6 really did bring us some good character development on X's side.  Seeing how he reacts to a threat that hits on a personal level (and is not Sigma and therefore doesn't invoke the "you're crazy, I'll kill you" response) was very interesting, and at the same time, he did remain true to his "merciful" side in the end.  

IMO only one of the PSX X games was actually good: X4.  X5 and X6 are both pretty terrible and as such the PSX era kinda suffers from that.
While I disagree with this particular sentiment, I do understand it.

See, X4 was the only "classic-feeling" game of the PS1 era.  It literally was a Super NES game with a new engine, superior tech, and Zero.  Unless you're THAT bothered by air-dash momentum, anyone who denounces X4 is I believe doing so mainly out of hardware bias.  Yeah, it ain't perfect, but after X3's buster upgrade I don't think it really needed to be.  It was damn well awesome and every bit worthy to stand in the light of the first two SNES games.

X5 and X6 both attempted to mix up the formula.  X5 was largely unsuccessful in doing so, as besides the multi-armor thing very little of its original elements are remembered fondly, and ALL of them are presented in a horrendously rough state with much-needed fixes applied in later games.  X6 did most of that fixing (Navigator assistance, Power-Up Parts, Ranking, a spike-immune armor that doesn't destroy whatever concept of customization that the Power Up Parts are trying to create, starting with an armor that does not completely destroy any sense of progression in collecting X's other crap, having a branch ending that does not present the more difficult boss to the less skilled player and also does not emphasize the anticlimactic nature of the main ending, and making a Zero boss who doesn't suck).  However, it also severely ramped up the difficulty in very untraditional methods, catering to people who were willing to explore the ins and outs of how to squeeze every ounce of speed and distance out of the game engine than to people who just wanted to equip Weapon X so that they could destroy Obstructing Block Y.  It's a love-letter to gamers like me who maybe enjoy the games just a little too much, but it's not particularly approachable for the general public.  It is literally the "Super Mario: The Lost Levels" of Mega Man X, except without the intent of being Japan-only and therefore lacking the any validation to people who would otherwise make it a point to be good at it just so that japanese bunny girls wouldn't laugh at them.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 03:13:03 AM
You're giving awful design far too much credit. 

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 03:21:23 AM
You're assuming I give a damn about how you define the term "awful design".  I'm the guy who defends Godzilla Unleashed; praising X6 is extraordinarily easy by comparison.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 03:21:53 AM
The only thing I really didn't like about X4 was the soundtrack and lack of decent X storyline, which I detail perfectly right here!  8D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z84_dvzT-hM[/youtube]

And some of the melodies are pretty decent in X4, mind you. Just didn't like the instrument choice at ALL. Way too high pitched. Especially X's opening theme and Zero's opening theme around what should have been an awesome guitar solo part!

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 03:23:58 AM
I actually thought X4's soundtrack, overall, was the best of the PS1 games.  X5 and X6 were both rather hit-or-miss at times, with X5 suffering a critical "miss" both for X's theme and for the main boss theme.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 03:29:35 AM
I'd have to say that X6's soundtrack, overall, is the best of the PS1 games. X5 is my personal favorite though. Yeah, the X5 intro themes are relatively shitty, the main boss theme is in my Top 3 favorite X boss themes in the series. However, I know I'm in the majority on that one and I fully can understand why.

With X4, pretty much everything after the main stage themes are pretty much crap.