Mighty No. 9

Nexus · 255980

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1700 on: June 26, 2016, 09:07:43 PM
Welp I think considering what happened at Objection-Man's stream we can confirm that Patch is the true evil in the universe.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #1701 on: June 26, 2016, 10:03:31 PM
Okay, it's actually the stomach the items are coming out of going by the concept art, but that's not stopping them from being the evilest little bastards of Mighty No. 9.

LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT THE EVIL IN ITS EYES!!

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1702 on: June 27, 2016, 02:25:17 AM
I really need to play a game with air-dashing, I'm not used to doing that.

ZX1/2? Model H?

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1703 on: June 27, 2016, 02:27:26 AM
ZX1/2? Model H?
Eh to be honest even though Model H is broken I actually used Model P a lot.  Kunais everywhere!

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1704 on: June 27, 2016, 02:44:15 AM
Model P was THE speedrun form. Especially in ZXA where they buffed his neutral attack.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1705 on: June 27, 2016, 02:47:07 AM
I also use F for Pandora and Prometheus since it has vertical shooting.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #1706 on: June 27, 2016, 05:02:39 AM
Model P was THE speedrun form. Especially in ZXA where they buffed his neutral attack.

Not at all in ZX1. In fact it's never used. HX gets the lion's share for obvious reasons. P is pretty good in ZXA though.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1707 on: June 27, 2016, 06:29:18 AM
I beaten the main game, and I'm gonna say it's a good game, I had a good time with it, however the Wii U version is not the ideal version to play and sometimes it makes me wish I had the PC version. The performance issues is what really bugs me with the game on the Wii U. I really don't mind the graphics, however I get the feeling the game wants to run at 60 FPS a few times but can't. On Wii U it's sub 40-30 FPS most of the time, and sometimes suddenly drops to single digits when I go very fast or when lots of things are happening on screen, even with bloom disabled. I'm not sure if it's an issue of optimization, the Wii U not being powerful enough, or both, but I'm hoping they'll fix the performance issues eventually. I wouldn't mind if they lock it at 30 FPS (inb4 I get called a console peasant) if it means stopping the dropped frames and stuttering. I also ran into a nasty bug that Objection Man ran into in the final level which made it harder than it should have been. Other than, it felt rewarding learning the patterns and how to address certain obstacles in the stages and get the most points possible. The Mighty Numbers are also fun, the controls are tight when the frame-rate issues weren't working against me, and the soundtrack is pretty good. Overall, did not regret picking this game up.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #1708 on: June 27, 2016, 09:54:38 PM
So I downloaded the game via my brother's PS4 account (he's an $80 backer) and decided to beat Ray's stage immediately after passing the intro. Not too hard, but it was a little obnoxious with some of the enemy placement, and I can see why Beck's dash is a pain in the ass considering it's all too easy to dash through one enemy and slam your face into the one behind it.

Then I played Pyrogen's stage and lost all my lives to spikes, constant damage around every corner and death pits. I didn't even get to the later parts where I know it gets even more hectic. Whoever designed that level can go [tornado fang] themselves, this is the first stage in the order that most people are probably likely to play and the difficulty spike is so massive. At least Guts Man's stage in MM1 only really screwed you at the very beginning, not midway to the end constantly.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1709 on: June 27, 2016, 10:13:32 PM
Cryo is even worse unfortunately.

Perhaps you should try Brandish or Counter Shade next time.  Though Counter Shade's stage is probably going to test your patience because of how different it is once you understand how the stage works it shouldn't be too bad.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #1710 on: June 28, 2016, 02:28:37 AM
Countershade's stage is fine if you can get around those obnoxious electric traps. Seriously, what is it with this game and purple strands of death?

I think Avi is a good boss to start with. His stage is fairly straightforward, and once you understand how his attacks work, there's no real reason why you should ever get hit. Seismic works too, some moderately tough (but fair) platforming followed by an easy boss fight.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1711 on: June 28, 2016, 06:46:48 AM
Cryo is even worse unfortunately.
Agreed. The last stretch of Cyro's level is usually what kills my score runs because of the spikes and knockback.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #1712 on: June 28, 2016, 12:49:41 PM
Kinda wish you can gain upgrades to beef Beck like "No Knockback" effect and such.

I recently played MM7 and MM8, which I never got to play before when they were first release, and I enjoyed the power-ups you find hidden in the stages.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1713 on: June 28, 2016, 03:17:51 PM
Honestly a lot of the main game feels like it was developed by assholes who don't understand Mega Man level design, and didn't design the stages around the dash either besides those lazy moments of infinite air dashes.
There's Classics hard, Mega Man Zero hard, and Mega Man & Bass hard. This feels like somewhere closer to MM&B in that you'll be thrown into a room with an instant death obstacle, and you'll probably die the first time inevitably if you don't catch onto the trick and it's still obnoxious enough to probably kill you multiple times after that too. Meanwhile damage and enemy positions go in tandem with screwing you up. And then you'll hit a moment, a flow, where the game doesn't seem all that hard, only to get stopped in place because another instant death obstacle pops up.

Am I really supposed to crouch dash precisely under these two giant purple death generators in a row? The game tells me to crouch dash (which in and of itself is arguably a bad game design choice if you have to tell a player to use a certain function just to continue), but I always seem to come up way too early and die as a result.

EDIT: And apparently Countershade's stage has no checkpoints. Wonderful.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #1714 on: June 28, 2016, 06:07:07 PM
Am I really supposed to crouch dash precisely under these two giant purple death generators in a row? The game tells me to crouch dash (which in and of itself is arguably a bad game design choice if you have to tell a player to use a certain function just to continue), but I always seem to come up way too early and die as a result.

That is easily my least favorite segment of the game by far. There's no reason for you to know that crouch dashing even exists (you auto crouch-dash under those narrow passages), and the game introduces you to the mechanic in a situation where you die if you happen to be off by a little. You have to stand uncomfortably close to the hazard and crouch dash so that you'll come up on the other side. It's horribly designed.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1715 on: June 28, 2016, 08:00:34 PM
Well I hate to say I turned up the Normal difficulty lives count to 9, but it's becoming necessary with how much instant death there is in this game. I beat Avi after five deaths, if only because I finally figured out how to avoid all of his attacks but one consistently and his second phase speeds him up so that double-damage ram hurts like hell. I then took on Brandish, beat him after two deaths. Now i've figured out Countershade's level gimmick but those goddamn electric wires get me every time.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1716 on: June 29, 2016, 05:14:36 AM
Anyone noticed the ranking system having some leeway in getting high ranks for Beck? I was score-running through Brandish's stage, died to Brandish in my first life, but defeated him on the second life and still managed to get an A-rank. A similar situation happened when I tried to run through Avi's and Battalion's stages. I'm guessing the rank is tied to how much points you can rack up as long as you don't die often and get as much bonuses as possible. I also noticed that you get docked for dying; I've lost 2000pts being taken away per death as Ray but I haven't paid attention to see if it happens with Beck as well.

-EDIT-
Okay you do get docked for dying as Beck as well.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1717 on: June 30, 2016, 07:47:00 PM
Well I've reached the end game but put the game down for now after realizing just how obnoxiously drawn out the final boss is going to be. I have seen the ending, though, so I know what goes down.
Honestly? The presentation and graphics don't bother me that much, though at the very least they could've drawn animated mouths for when people speak - and they wouldn't even have to be lip-synched. My opinion from before still stands that the level designers decided to be a bunch of lazy asses when it came to punishing the player, because instant death is just way too frequent. I never died by normal enemy damage once, although I've come close. The weapons suffer from the old Mega Man effect of 'a couple are really good (Brandish, Battalion), the rest are situational'. The Dash mechanic was still poorly thought out.

More particularly, the bosses are also really annoying. It's one thing to learn their patterns, took me a bit with Pyrogen, but it's another when most of them come down to either finding the right circumstances to avoid almost all damage, or trading hits back and forth until you die or they go down. I brute-forced several of the bosses by just finding a good weapon and spamming it (aka the two I mentioned above, though ice on Batt was.. unintuitive). If I hadn't, no pattern mastery would've saved me from a lot of pain, especially when they start throwing out the instant kills. Even Pyrogen and I came down to the wire since I didn't have his weakness yet, so I had to buster-only him.

What puzzles me is the multiplayer inclusion, they scapegoated it last year as being part of the reason for delays (though really it was probably just Deep Silver's awful publishing and Red Ash) yet it doesn't seem to have any worth at all. No one's obviously going to be playing Mighty No. 9 for its multiplayer. And the co-op is apparently designed in a way that Call has to be on-screen to be controlled or else she'll go into an off-camera autofollow mode, and can die and be revived freely, but.. it's not local, it's online-only, which means having two people on two consoles and TVs/monitors means jackshit. And no one will be playing Race Battle either. So that's an entire pair of modes down the drain.

This game wasn't terrible. But it was frustrating, and less fun than any mainline Mega Man game I've ever played besides Mega Man & Bass, and that's a hell of a statement.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1718 on: June 30, 2016, 09:09:56 PM
yeah the game isnt terribly engaging. its not particularly fun compared to classic megaman games. the Dash mechanic was definitely poorly thought out- for beck anyway- Ray is actually somewhat engaging. The decreasing health makes for an incentive to dash.

But they drop the ball there too. Ray doesnt even need to attack enemies to dash them. you can just dashspam without attacking at all, for small enemies at least. but the core is there- Ray's gameplay is infinitely more engaging than beck's

on Kamiya...

he did say that thing about inafune being a businessman, but he later clarified (after it became such a big meme) that he never meant it as an insult. He "respects inafune as a businessman" or something like that.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1719 on: June 30, 2016, 09:26:44 PM
I did remember hearing Kamiya clarifying that, but it's so hard to find on the Internet considering that meme greatly overshadows what he really meant, especially recently. :\

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1720 on: June 30, 2016, 10:09:25 PM
I can recall seeing him retweeting something someone else said that was along the lines of "if you like Mighty No. 9 you're jealous" or some garbage (which by the way I never asked to see that tweet, somebody on my following list retweeted that and it showed up on my feed).

As for the game itself, I personally put down Mega Man & Bass and have little incentive to give that game up another chance whereas Mighty No. 9 kept me playing, and has kept me playing since I got it. I can definitely see where Nexus and Flame are coming from, but whatever Mighty No. 9 does wrong was never enough to for me to put it down. Maybe it's because I enjoy figuring a way around the problem with this game, and seeing a payoff that rewards patience and practice. Either that or I've gone crazy. I mean did get my ass handed to me a bunch of times with Pryo's stage when I first starting this game, but eventually I persevered and came out on top with an A-rank which felt rewarding, and was able to do that across all of the other stages for Beck (though I got an S from replaying the intro stage but that's easy compared to the others). Maybe the frame-rate issues on the Wii U version is both a blessing and a curse? From my experience, the controls were tight enough to let me know that "I screwed up" more than having "the level designers are bastards" come to my mind when the frame-rate wasn't working against me.

-EDIT-
Here's something I forgot to mention: in the final level, I noticed the reforming Xels seemed to respawn based on my position than being completely broken(?). In that one spot Objection Man had trouble with, instead of using the Super Missiles (a.k.a. Battalion's weapons) from a distance, I just used the Pippy-pop (a.k.a. Beck's buster) close to the bottom stair step and shoot the bottom until it's solid and broke an opening above the bottom one and advanced through that way. I can't be certain if that's the case with other versions of the game, however.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1721 on: June 30, 2016, 10:53:06 PM
Maybe i'm being overly harsh, but I didn't back it and only looked forward to it as a fan. I am a bit of a harsh critic at first until I soften up to something, if I ever do, though.

Also i'm sure anything can be made better by just playing it enough to memorize and perfect it. Those who play past their anger and annoyance to actually start score attacking the stages for A and S ranks or speedruns will probably better appreciate it than those who just play these games through and are done with it for a bit.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1722 on: July 01, 2016, 12:05:57 AM
I just had a crash, but hear me out on this before any fingers are gonna be pointed. I think the crash happened probably from overheating the system since I've been playing it a lot. The game never crashed on me once since the v1.1 patch until now. When my game froze, I did what any common sense person would do (and because something like this happened to be with BioShock 2 and Splatterhouse 2010 on the Xbox 360) by unplugged the power from the back, plugged it backed in, and tried powering it back on again. Everything is still functional, however, when I took the disc out of my Wii U, I felt a faint warmth from the disc from playing it so much. The disc is still fine, though. So I literally just debunked the "bricking" rumor.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #1723 on: July 07, 2016, 03:44:19 AM
I actually had the PS4 version crash on me last night. I was doing Challenge 36, which is beat every stage back to back on one life. It's as brutal as it sounds. Took me forever to beat it. But one time I got up to Cryo and beat her, and after the results screen I got an error code and was booted to the XMB. No widespread info on PS4 crashes, so it's probably just a freak thing.

I feel Battalion is the best boss to go after first. His stage is easy, the boss fight is easy, and the weapon you get is THE best in the game. Don't argue with that. It's incredibly powerful, and it has low energy cost. It is this game's Metal Blade.

However that only applies to Beck, I feel. I started playing Ray today. Battalion's stage gets a bit trickier when you can't get rid of explosive barrels from afar. And the fight is a lot harder cause if you play it too safe, your health will run out. But if you go ham on him, he'll hit you before you can absorb from him.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1724 on: July 07, 2016, 05:51:42 AM
I haven't played all the challenges yet since I started up a Hard mode game and almost done, just have to beat the final level. And yeah, I can't agree more with going for Battalion first instead of Pyro, which is why I like to call it the Super Missile. It's great for clearing groups of enemies and milking as much out of the score multiplier as possible. Ray, which I managed to beat last night, in some areas felt like a wake-up call compared to Beck's game, especially with the late-end game bosses. The choke points with Ray for me where Bat and Branish, although part of was probably from me trying to go too gung-ho on them, Branish's case switched up his desperation attack a bit that throw me off (plus I didn't get the pattern down for Beck either), and having a hard time predicting where Bat was going to jump to and not colliding with him when I'm vulnerable. An example for me was the Nameless tank, which admittedly had a bit of out of the box thinking to avoid one of its which I liked, but I'm not sure if this its own issue with the Wii U version's poor frame-rate or it requires super-precise timing, I ended up getting hit anyways despite trying the idea I came up with out. So what I did to deal with it was lolclawing it to death ASAP and bounce off it during one of its other attacks to take down the tank quickly as possible.

[spoiler=Final Boss]For Trinity, the first form wasn't too bad for me when I used Bat's Gatling gun to soften her up when she was doing the Yellow Devil attack then clawing her when she prepared the reversed version of that, but the second form and the flower rushing attack was too quick for me anticipate with just Ray's claws so I used Cryo's bouncy ice balls to slow Trinity's flower rush attack down so I can score some quick hits with the claws.[/spoiler]