Why do people hate Rockman 7 so much?

Irregular Ass-R-Us · 11282

Offline Irregular Ass-R-Us

• Dedicated Pompous Gimpy Douchebag With A Burning Passion! (◥▶◀◤).
  • Robot Master
  • Ultra Super Godly Royal [Top Spin]. (◥▶◀◤)
    • View Profile
on: August 15, 2013, 12:25:27 AM
Hi guys. I was wondering, why do some of you hate or dislike Rockman 7? I don't see anything wrong with it really, to be honest its my third favorite Rockman Game. It had a great soundtrack,gameplay,bosses and difficulty ( i am a lover of hard games that kick your ass). I would like to hear your thoughts and ideas.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 12:27:11 AM
Bob and George sprite comics.

Maybe that's just me though...

Also the localization.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 12:30:23 AM
I still haven't gotten around to finishing it, and I forgot my password... -u-' So far I think it's okay.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 12:58:45 AM
People probably hate it because it's an SNES MM game that's not Mega Man X.

Personally I love the game!

Also related:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YOZuBzY0sE[/youtube]

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 01:03:48 AM
People probably hate it because it's an SNES MM game that's not Mega Man X.

Personally I love the game!

Also related:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YOZuBzY0sE[/youtube]
so was MM and Bass, and people- wait people hate that one too... But thats more for difficulty reasons.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 01:16:34 AM
Well I didn't like the soundtrack to MM & Bass, I'll say that much.

That and the pathway thing. Oh, and the Blues treatment.  -_-

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 01:22:52 AM
Which soundtrack? SNES or GBA? Personally I prefer the GBA. I think the SNES soundtrack is terrible, a result of putting too much in the visual department.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 01:24:08 AM
Which soundtrack? SNES or GBA? Personally I prefer the GBA. I think the SNES soundtrack is terrible, a result of putting too much in the visual department.

There's only one good song from the SFC soundtrack.

Coldman's stage.

But yeah, graphics are beautiful in R&F, can't say the same about the music or the level design. And honestly its more of a Bass game than a Megaman game. Since its easier to play as Bass than it is as Megaman.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 01:24:39 AM
Well I didn't like the soundtrack to MM & Bass, I'll say that much.

That and the pathway thing. Oh, and the Blues treatment.  -_-
Yeah I agree that they were really kicking him way too much, seriously being chopped in half?!

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 01:30:16 AM

I'm not fond of either, really. I like GroundMan's stage a lot, but not the instrument choice. It sounds SO much better in 8-bit!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnUbJxu7_ZI[/youtube]

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 02:15:31 AM
edit: nevermind, thought the title said Rockman X7

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 02:35:32 AM
Because its not as polished and impressive as Megaman X in every way.
Personally its probably my favorite Classic Megaman game but it is terribly flawed.

From an objective stand point the animation is awkward.
The soundtrack while one of my favorites airs on the cartoony side which turned off people who had played X and X2.
Megaman was bigger meaning he had less room to jump making the game annoying for veterans of the NES games. Though the proportions are more or less accurate to the World series.
Also like the World series people didnt seem to like the 4 bosses, mini stage, then 4 bosses gimmick.
Most of the sound effects were awful.
And then there are about a million little things that people like to nit pick like Cloud man having 4 fingers on one hand, rush search in general, junk man, etc.

With all of that said most people just cant see past the flaws and enjoy it for what it is.
An extremely fun and satisfying adventure that has a lot of heart.
If i remember correctly i think the game was made in only 3 or 4 months.
If that is the case that just amazes me how much they did in that amount of time.
It also makes me wonder how much more it could have been improved with more time in development.
But like i said im not sure about that as i dont have the greatest memory haha.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 03:10:48 AM
The sprites are too big resulting in cramped screen space. As a result it felt slower and clunky. Otherwise I enjoyed it, with it's additions and further developments of series features.

Overall I felt 8 was much more balanced in screen size and speed.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 05:05:34 AM
Mega Man 7 is my favorite Classic game. So it does really sadden me that so many people take issue with it. I think it's terribly underrated.

The bigness of the sprites never hampered gameplay for me. I was never in a situation that I didn't have enough room to move around or an enemy was approaching from offscreen too fast. And because the sprites are bigger I'd say the game moves very fast. Mega Man goes flying when he slides in that game. MM8 is the one that feels slow to me, until you buy Hyper Slider.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 05:07:09 AM
The weapons in MM7 were fantastic. And I must also say [tornado fang]ing SUPER RUSH ADAPTER KICK ASSSSSSSSSSSS!!!  8)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 05:20:00 AM
Man, I've never had an issue with MM7, the music is great, the graphics are bright and colorful, the game introduced both Auto and Bass, and overall it just feels like a natural advancement of classic Megaman formula.

It was definitely a step up from how bland the 8-bit games had gotten by the time 6 had rolled around. Though I might just take more issue with 5 and 6 because of them doing the two castles thing like MM4 did, but not having two different songs in each castle (That and the two castle thing had gotten really tiring in 6). Unless they were strapped for time there really is no reason they couldn't have done two more songs.

Anyway, I'm getting off track here. MM7's still probably my favorite of the classic games. Hopefully we get it on the Virtual Console this year along with the rest of the Megaman games.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 10:12:12 PM
Megaman/Rockman 7 really isn't bad, it's just different while still sticking to the familiar system without odd or too-drastic changes. As we've shown, a lot of people here seem to like it and probably liked it back when it came out too. Not my favorite game, but it's better than others in the series for me.

This is just theory from seeing some of the more vocal hate years ago in other places, but perhaps the reason why some people give it so much crap, aside from the bigger and sometimes awkward-looking characters, is that at the time, it wasn't Megaman X. Even for what 7 brought to the table in terms of new features (which the X series would semi-replicate on their own accord, like the Shop system finally being implemented as of X8 and even sooner if you count the Xtreme titles), X was the leaner, meaner, faster and more 'badass' thing at the time. Who gave a whatzawhosit about Rock's sliding and Rush Coil when X could just scale the wall and then dashjump a gap with precise ease? Super Adapter? What's that, I can't hear you over the armor ability of charging every single Maverick weapon!

Of course, in retrospect and hindsight, people are more willing to separate the two now and see them for what they are, which is why 7 is seen a bit more positively nowadays. Most of the hate's shuffled onto 8 in recent years for its more questionable design choices, or Capcom's second cash-in of the retro craze via 10 (or Capcom in general, but that's beside the point).

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 11:57:40 PM
Very good points guys  :). I too think that the screen was a bit cramped and the animations were a little weird. But i am happy to see people that like the game. I agree pretty much with Nexus since he took the words out of my mouth. I am making a Rockman X engine at the moment but i think i will remake Rockman 7 with some upgrades and change some stuff. But overall i think it is a amazing game that is underrated and should deserve the same amount of praise that Rockman 2 and Rockman 3 did.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 02:46:31 AM
Most of the hate's shuffled onto... Capcom's second cash-in of the retro craze via 10

Which is just sad. R10 is an improvement on R9 in almost every way, and Inti Creates truly put heart into its development.

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 03:41:05 AM
I havent heard about anyone hating 10.
Its an awesome game!
My only dislike is that its 8 bits but thats kind of the point for that game.
Megaman 9 succeeded because of the retro nostalgia.
Megaman 10 succeeded because it was fun, creative, legitimately difficult, and imo had outstanding level design.
The soundtrack was hit or miss but at least had its own unique style and didnt try to be Megaman 2.

I dont hate megaman 9 but its my second least favorite game in the series.
It did everything in its power to regress an already stagnant series in a near dead genre.
The games saving grace was a good weapon line up and a few good tunes.

And this is coming from someone who has a guilty pleasure for Megaman X7.

Im not trying to say 9 deserves hate, just that it receives more praise than games like 7 and 8 which at least tried new things.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 03:50:27 AM
You summed up my thoughts about 9 exactly, it was an okay game but it did all it could to take steps backwards in the series, going back to 8-bit, simplifying the graphics to MM2 style, cutting the slide and such, re-using music from MM2. Its not a bad game per se, its just not a very good game.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 08:52:36 AM
Which is just sad. R10 is an improvement on R9 in almost every way, and Inti Creates truly put heart into its development.

Unfortunately I haven't had much exposure to either besides some choppy emulation that I never did much with, so I can't personally judge. I've seen a lot of people [sonic slicer] about how Capcom was just trying to cash-cow with 9 and 10, but for some reason other places just tend to ignore the improvements 10 seems to of made and then turn around and praise 9 for being like 2.

I guess it's just something I should chalk up to 'it's the internet'.  :\

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 12:57:16 PM
Fans for the most part were more complacent with the idea of 9 being in 8 bits simply because it had been over 10 years since we had a classic Mega Man game. And at the time it was kind of cool and bold to make a game in that style. when 10 was released it was seen as a lazy cop out to make money. Much like how people dismissed Sonic 4 before even playing it. and yes it was lazy of them to put the game in that style again however the game is extremely well made, well thought out, and for the most part fun to play. people continue to judge a book by its cover in essence.

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 01:19:27 PM
I think Rockman 10 should have been a 16 bit improved version of 7 with the features that 10 has.

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 05:56:48 PM
I think Rockman 10 should have been a 16 bit improved version of 7 with the features that 10 has.
I would prefer if they used the RnF sprites then.
Still 16 bit but a lot nicer to look at.