Pokemon Generation VI: X/Y & Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

Guest · 762599

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1675 on: October 09, 2013, 05:04:53 PM
Well one of my friends is upset because Malamar's base stats seem to really suck according to Smogon calculations, and he's been obsessing about this thing.

HP: 80
Attack: 100
Defense: 90
Special Attack: 70
Special Defense: 60
Speed: 70

I kind of expected this from a Pokemon with a 2 Stage Evolution, a really good Type combination and both Contrary and Topsy Turvy.   I don't really care since I don't care about stat buffing and debuffing as much as the next guy, Galvantula, Houndoom, and Meinshao are more my style.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1676 on: October 10, 2013, 12:21:20 AM
that's one reason i don't pay attention to base stat totals and tiers and stuff. it sucks the fun out of the game.

I CAN NEVER USE THAT PIECE OF CRAP POKEMON CAUSE ITS BSTS ARE TOO LOW AND I NEED TO USE THIS ONE THAT IS IN THIS TIER AND IT NEEDS THIS NATURE AND ABILITY AND... WAIT, JUST HAVE FUN AND PLAY THE GAME? WHAT'S THE POINT IN THAT?

too much work for me :D

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1677 on: October 10, 2013, 12:30:45 AM
Yeah I pretty much suck at competitive battling, but I do find it interesting.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1678 on: October 10, 2013, 12:41:25 AM
One of the main reasons why I say to hell with competitive battling.  Mewtwo is always on my team.  In competitions, I'd be booted out before the first match because I'd refuse to take him off my team. 

I'm looking forward to the exploration and general training.  I make my own story when playing.  To hell with competitive battling.

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
Reply #1679 on: October 10, 2013, 12:48:21 AM
Well one of my friends is upset because Malamar's base stats seem to really suck according to Smogon calculations, and he's been obsessing about this thing.

HP: 80
Attack: 100
Defense: 90
Special Attack: 70
Special Defense: 60
Speed: 70

I kind of expected this from a Pokemon with a 2 Stage Evolution, a really good Type combination and both Contrary and Topsy Turvy.   I don't really care since I don't care about stat buffing and debuffing as much as the next guy, Galvantula, Houndoom, and Meinshao are more my style.

Funny you say that. Meinshao holds up pretty well against higher tiers; and Galvantula and Houndoom don't only because STEALTH ROCK CAN GO DIE IN A HORRIBLE CAR ACCIDENT.

The problem about Mewtwo is that he is, quite literally, the strongest Pokemon in the whole metagame. That doctor from the movie wasn't kidding around.

And wait... CONTRARY?! o-O
That makes Malamar the opposite of weak! Dare I say, contrary to what his stats say? AHAHAHA *shot*

But seriously, If Malamar has Superpower in its movepool we are all [tornado fang]'d.

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1680 on: October 10, 2013, 12:51:10 AM
Yeah I don't like that about competitive battling, the strategies are boring and I rarely follow them.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1681 on: October 10, 2013, 12:58:27 AM
Mewtwo also have a great move pool to play around with.  I've already started deciding what all he should learn for a nice, well-rounded moveset.  But, yeah, he's un the uber tier, and thus is usually banned.

You know, if you're a real competitive player who's worth your salt, you wouldn't give a fig about tiers and would find ways to beat teams that use upper-tier Pokemon, rather than pussy out and ban them.  Banning them from play is the coward's way.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1682 on: October 10, 2013, 01:03:19 AM
I agree with that, I never follow "teirs".

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1683 on: October 10, 2013, 01:09:34 AM
Mewtwo also have a great move pool to play around with.  I've already started deciding what all he should learn for a nice, well-rounded moveset.  But, yeah, he's un the uber tier, and thus is usually banned.

You know, if you're a real competitive player who's worth your salt, you wouldn't give a fig about tiers and would find ways to beat teams that use upper-tier Pokemon, rather than pussy out and ban them.  Banning them from play is the coward's way.

That's... not really why tiers exist. Smogon gets a bad rep for diminishing the cool factor of pokemon. Really, tiers were made to prevent the stronger pokemon from steamrolling the weaker ones that people do want to use. You see, Smogon does their best to maximize the strengths of any given pokemon. The issue is that they can't be biased and will also have to maximize the strengths of the stronger pokemon also, making already strong guys, well, uber. The main problem is how competitors interpret the site's patronage; by blatantly ignoring weaker but still good pokemon for the strongest of the strongest. Also, [tornado fang] stealth rock.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1684 on: October 10, 2013, 01:11:41 AM
Yeah the Stealth Rock thing is terrible, they ban Double Team but keep that in, yeah good priorities.

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1685 on: October 10, 2013, 01:18:08 AM
The tiers wouldn't be half the problem it is if it banned stealth rock. I'm okay with spikes and toxic spikes because they actually require strategy, preparation, and foresight to use. But stealth rock says [tornado fang] that and toss out once and BAM, 4 of the 16 (now 17) types are INSTANTLY unusable in competitive battling. And at least a fourth of the entire pokedex has been almost COMPLETELY neglected in the eyes of competitors. O:<

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1686 on: October 10, 2013, 01:18:47 AM
Again, if you're a trainer worth your salt, you will find ways to use weaker Pokemon against upper-level Pokemon.  Thus what I said is quite valid.  The stronger trainer will step up to the challenge and use their underdog team to carve a path to victory.  The weaker trainer will ban stronger Pokemon.

It's the same thing as saying that good artists shouldn't enter contests because they will outclass the weaker artists.  

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1687 on: October 10, 2013, 01:20:39 AM
Again, if you're a trainer worth your salt, you will find ways to use weaker Pokemon against upper-level Pokemon.  Thus what I said is quite valid.  The stronger trainer will step up to the challenge and use their underdog team to carve a path to victory.  The weaker trainer will ban stronger Pokemon.

It's the same thing as saying that good artists shouldn't enter contests because they will outclass the weaker artists. 
I beat Hypershell's Mewtwo with [tornado fang]ing Gardevoir who is in the Never Use Tier in a [tornado fang]ing Double Battle, I may have been swept but that is a [tornado fang]ing achievement!

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1688 on: October 10, 2013, 01:23:09 AM
apparently stealth rock has been altered to only do 25% damage max.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1689 on: October 10, 2013, 01:25:16 AM
So now Charizard stands a chance, poor poor Charizard.

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1690 on: October 10, 2013, 01:26:04 AM
Due to the STUPENDOUS variety of the Pokemon metagame, there do exist combinations and strategies that are considered blatant cheating or breaking the system. There still need exist rules and guidelines to force them out.

I also feel the need to iterate that it doesn't exist one pokemon that scare people away, but a the synergy that can terrify people. I mean, anyone with half a brain can beat Mewtwo, but when you pair him up with the likes of sandstorm Excadrill and/or speed boost Blaziken, then suddenly, you may rethink your opinion. unless your Garchomp, seriously, screw that guy.

apparently stealth rock has been altered to only do 25% damage max.

WATWATWATWAT. I demand source NAO. :O

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1691 on: October 10, 2013, 01:26:59 AM
Hell, I lacked a Master Ball in Yellow (Ringman blew it on an Abra) and only one of my Pokemon (my Pidgeot) was up to snuff.  Mewtwo tore through my team like so much wet toilet paper.  I still managed to whittle him down and catch his stubborn ass in a Poke Ball.

I'm a lousy trainer.  But dammit, I'm not going to wuss out just because someone has a team full of Legendaries.  Even if I get my ass handed to me and take out only one with Self-destruct, I'll still count it as a small victory.  I was brave enough to go against an experienced trainer in battle.  That itself is a victory.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1692 on: October 10, 2013, 01:33:27 AM
The problem I have with Legendaries in competive battling is that unless you are willing to cheat you have to reset your game over and over again to capture that Pokemon so it has a good Nature and in some extreme cases the IV's you want.  That's why I don't bother with Legendaries.  I'll fight them but I won't fight an entire team of them, especially if Darkrai is included, [tornado fang] Darkrai.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1693 on: October 10, 2013, 01:37:00 AM
All mine will have terrible Natures and bad IVs because I can't be arsed to reset all the time. It's there, it's ready for capture, whatever personality it has I get.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1694 on: October 10, 2013, 01:40:02 AM
Yeah if I'm going into competive battling I prefer to breed my Pokemon because it's easier for me to do.  

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1695 on: October 10, 2013, 01:44:52 AM
Can't wait to catch that weird Impish Mewtwo with the screwed-up stats! 8D

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #1696 on: October 10, 2013, 01:51:00 AM
Yeah if I'm going into competive battling I prefer to breed my Pokemon because it's easier for me to do. 
That's what I have done in Pearl. It's a good way to pass certain moves to the baby (and in the pre-Gen V/post-Gen I games, keep one-of-a-kind TMs circulating).

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1697 on: October 10, 2013, 01:55:45 AM
Or a Neutral Nature one, you never see a Neutral Nature in competitive battling suggestions.

That's what I have done in Pearl. It's a good way to pass certain moves to the baby (and in the pre-Gen V/post-Gen I games, keep one-of-a-kind TMs circulating).
I usually use it to pass on Natures.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1698 on: October 10, 2013, 01:56:52 AM
I should just make it my goal to have a team of weirdos with weird and ineffective stats, just to be a troll trainer. 8D

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #1699 on: October 10, 2013, 01:59:49 AM
Don't be so Adamant, you Jolly well know what to do... Being Careful or Impish won't cut it! 8D

[spoiler]lol natures that minus sp att[/spoiler]

I'm watching you all. Always watching.