Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012

Joseph Collins · 3174

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
on: September 29, 2012, 07:04:33 PM
So...  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  The new one on Nick.  It looked stupid, sounded even more stupid (rap theme song?  Really?), but I watched it anyway.  Did I like what I saw?  Short answer: Yes.  It has my interest.  Long answer?  Well, I've composed a list of likes, neutrals, and dislikes about the show.  It contains spoilers, so you have been warned.

[spoiler]- I like the new hobo-style costumes -- especially the leg pieces.
- Donnie is a geek. :3 Mikey is a dork. X3
- Rob Paulsen as Donatello? That's kind of cool.
- The random comic-style scenes are kind of interesting.
- Leo likes Star Trek "Space Heroes"? That's an interesting trait.
- Sickle! Mikey has a chain-sickle!! O_O
- Kilroy! :D
- The turtles' naivety on the surface is pretty funny.
- The turtles have very unique designs and distinct eye colors. That's kind of neat.
- I'm glad they kept the Leo/Raph rivalry.
- Okay, I admit the jokes are funny. Heh heh.
- Is that a Scramble machine? :D
- ... Raph has a pet turtle? Ha ha hah! That is so awesome! XD
- Ooh. They kept the Oroko Saki/Splinter rivalry. Neat! Too bad Splinter lost everything in that fight...
- April is really cute.  X3[/spoiler]

Neutrals
[spoiler]- So, when the turtles get serious, their eyes disappear? Okay...
- Oh god. Are they going to show this stupid "I'm a turtle and here's my weapon" montage before the turtles go topside? Or just whenver they need filler?
- April is a little girl? And Donnie has a crush on her? Donnie has a crush on her? Not sure what to make of it. Can't figure if this is good or bad.
- The turtles are really, really bad at fighting as a team... No team coordination whatsoever.
- Utroms? Already? o_o
- ... "Boo-yah-kah-sha"? Whatever happened to "cowabunga"? Too "old school" for this series? :P
- Donnie has a pencil neck.
- Oh, would you look at that. Spike mutated into some kind of plant-mantis thing. Does that mean he was a flourist of some kind? Or did they completely ditch the "last thing you touched" mutation thing?[/spoiler]

Dislikes
[spoiler]- Raphael isn't hard-ass enough.
- Splinter is ugly as sin.
- Leo isn't much of a leader at this point...
- Too much [tornado fang]ing anime influence. Sweatdrops, emotes, [parasitic bomb] like that. It does not work with 3D animation.
- That theme song? No, no, and no. Also, no.
- So... the mutagen was just found in an alley? And everyone just mutated instantly? Really?
- The... "Krang"? God damn it. Seriously? Utroms. Utroms!
- The "Krangs" certainly are... lacking in emotion. The Utrom from the last series were much more interesting. These guys are just annoying.
- I think the turtles overreacted to Raph yanking that robot's arm off and locking the doors with it. It's just a robot, after all.[/spoiler]

As I said, I expected... well... a train wreck.  But it turned out to be loads of fun!  Some things need a little work here and there, and there's of course a few things I don't like, but all and all, I think it was a fun thing to watch and I look forward to more episodes.  :3

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 07:11:31 PM
I feel relatively indifferent to this reboot.

I did like the 2003 TMNT show (up to season 4) and the CGI film.

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 08:21:10 PM
I feel like this series is a sin.
I [tornado fang]ing love the 2003 series. Sure, it had its ups and downs. But in general it was good (up until Fast Forward and that series with Cyber Shredder, which was a lot of wasted potential. ESPECIALLY SINCE WE WERE SUPPOSED TO GET AN ALL OUT WAR OF THE SHREDDERS BITCHES!) And no matter what people say, I liked Utrom Shredder.

I only watched those few preview clips and followed more or less on the news about this.

But I'm far from amused.

I shall however reserve absolute judgement until I've watched few full episodes. But your dislikes are making me less than eager to pick it up.
I think I'll stick with Transformers Prime for now.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 09:33:30 PM
You know what I just remembered.  Rob Paulsen was Raphael in the old 80s cartoon.  And now, he's Donatello.  I just realized this a half-hour after I made this post.

That's kind of awesome, but kind of weird, too.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 10:11:43 PM
A couple thoughts on it:

I think it was pretty good, but im going to admit I think the models look ugly
Don's voice is too weird. I know it's Rob but I think it doesnt fit him well.
Michelangelo's voice is perfect. Beast Boy ftw
Shredder looks promising, the voice is really intimidating as well.
The whole "Splinter is actually a human turned into a rat" is stupid.  -AC

Im glad it didnt end up bad, like ultimate spiderman