Wreck It Ralph

Flame · 10416

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 02:56:41 PM
saw the movie this Saturday

the humour was a hit and miss most of the time, but I really enjoyed the main story and characters. That's pretty much my only thoughts.

also

[spoiler=cameo spoilers????]Skrillex appears. I don't understand.[/spoiler]

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 01:33:04 AM
saw the movie this Saturday

the humour was a hit and miss most of the time, but I really enjoyed the main story and characters. That's pretty much my only thoughts.

also

[spoiler=cameo spoilers????]Skrillex appears. I don't understand.[/spoiler]

I did read that he was in the movie somewhere. I kind of went wut at that too.
Anyways, I don't expect to actually see the movie at the theaters since my family's kind of strapped for cash but worst comes to worst piratebay is my friend.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 06:17:56 AM
this was a phenomenal movie

laughs were had, tears were shed, it was great

and the cameos were nice too

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 07:49:31 PM
I'll probably see this, which is rare for me, because I try to boycott all the ugly CG movies.

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 07:57:35 PM
So, I finally broke down and saw it.  I have to say, the movie was pretty slow in the beginning, but once you got to the middle of the movie, it really picked up quickly!  And man!  This movie is surprisingly dark for a kids' movie!  But also extremely heartwarming.  The interactions between Vanellope and Ralph are just filled to the brim with "daww" moments.  And laughs.  Lots of laughs.

"Double-stripe!"  X3

Now, I will say that Robotnik, Sonic, and a number of other characters really had no business cameoing in this movie.  This movie is about game in a "retro-style" arcade, not about gaming in general.  All the console-exclusive cameos (there weren't many, but they were there) were an unnecessary feature, considering there was a million arcade-exclusive characters they could have used. (Most of which, they did.  Heh.)  But since they were purely cameos, it really didn't do much.  Really, the only video "real-life" game character that got a serious role in the movie was everyone's favorite foul-mouthed cube-hopper, Q*Bert! (I'll be seriously surprised if he doesn't get a new game after this movie.)

You know, this movie also makes me wonder...  This was just one bunch of games in one arcade.  If they got another Wreck-It Ralph machine hooked up to the same power network, would Ralph end up meeting himself?  And would the other Ralph be just as discouraged as the one in this movie?  Maybe this quandary will be answered in the sequel, if there is one? (Though, I think the video game serves as a "half-sequel".  It also justifies console game characters appearing in the arcade, somewhat.)

All and all, great movie.  Would easily "wreck"-ommend it to anyone who likes heartwarming movies with happy endings and video games.  :3

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 10:59:27 PM
Sonic The Fighters was on Arcade ;)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 11:07:48 PM
Though it takes place in an arcade, it is not purely about arcade games and their characters. As we've said before.

It has, is, and always will be about gaming in general. The arcade is nothing more than the setting; the movie isn't about the arcade, but someone who's been the bad guy for years and begins yearning for something new. Something different. He doesn't want to be a bad guy anymore.

That's the movie.

Not the arcade, but Ralph's struggle and the events surrounding that struggle.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 11:24:48 PM

Not only that there were quite a few play choice arcade cabinets. Mortal Kombat was originally an arcade game too!

...Makes me wonder why Dirk the Daring didin't cameo, which is odd as the arcade game Dragon's Lair helped revolutionize gaming. Also a mega man lookalike appears in the background chuggin' beer (or I could've mistaken him for an in-game NPC, given how far he was) in the bar scene, when Ralph is talking to the bartender.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline White-Jet

• The Wandering
  • Master's Unit
  • It's tough being an avatar when you're so restless
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 11:37:28 PM

There's also SegaSonic the Hedgehog, but I think it's a Japan exclusive, so it's rarely known.

But like everyone says, it's not strictly arcade only, so there could be other console characters that could have a cameo other than Sonic and Eggman. 8D

MAKE WAY FOR HAJIME'S DRAGON DELIVERY EXPRESS!!! 8D

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 12:14:04 AM
oh yah Street Fighter was on the arcade too

speaking of street fighter im sad that im the only guy who knows the characters. Also the little reference/joke in the movie
[spoiler]M. Bison says "You're not going turbo are you?!"[/spoiler]

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 12:47:11 AM
oh yah Street Fighter was on the arcade too

speaking of street fighter im sad that im the only guy who knows the characters. Also the little reference/joke in the movie
[spoiler]M. Bison says "You're not going turbo are you?!"[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Though I thought that referenced SF2 Turbo, as the movie went on I'm pretty sure that referenced Turbo, the true identity of King Candy and the first person to gamejump, resulting in the disposal of his game and the one he jumped into.[/spoiler]

Just sayin'.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 01:24:31 AM
Its a double reference!  8)

Or they did it to throw people off

or just me off

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 01:27:00 AM
Its a double reference!  8)

Or they did it to throw people off

or just me off
Probably to throw people off, in the same way that
[spoiler]King Candy's love of pink was referencing how he wasn't actually the King at all, and that the castle wasn't his either. He wanted everything in there to be pink to make it his domain[/spoiler]

There's lots of things in this movie that seem one way at first but end up being something else in the end, and I love it for that. :D

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 01:29:45 AM
maybe spoilers
[spoiler]That is why I love Turbo. Chevok's Gun is my favorite trope.[/spoiler]

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 02:22:15 AM
That's something else I liked about the film.  All the seemingly random, but completely relevant plot twists and turns.  There was just enough there to not be overwhelming, and each one was entirely worth paying attention to.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: December 09, 2012, 12:47:02 AM
Here's the Sonic the Fighters cameo

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: December 09, 2012, 12:54:41 AM
Oh, kick ass.  I didn't even notice that.

And yes, I know.  Bowser was in an arcade game, too. (At least three, actually: Mario Kart GP 1/2 and, of course, Vs. Super Mario Bros..)  So the movie actually has me on a pure technicality.  XP

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: December 09, 2012, 06:20:26 AM
I'm just glad the film industry got over their phobia of game franchise movies.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: December 09, 2012, 10:26:58 AM
I love how Sonic near the start is essentially doing a sonic says, on returning to your game.

[spoiler] Sonic mentioning that you cannot respawn outside your game and therefore die for real is also something of a foreshadow the the danger characters like Ralph, Calhoun and Felix are in, and Turbo himself, since once he gets bug zapped, since that isnt his game, "King Candy" is gone for good.

speaking of which, Turbo caught me completely and pleasantly by surprise. I did not see that coming.[/spoiler]

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #44 on: December 09, 2012, 10:36:57 AM
[spoiler] speaking of which, Turbo caught me completely and pleasantly by surprise. I did not see that coming.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Oh yeah me too. I thought his history was just told to define that term for the audience, since I'd wondered what it had meant.

But for him to reappear, I did not expect that. :3[/spoiler]

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: December 09, 2012, 05:47:12 PM
[spoiler]Oh yeah me too. I thought his history was just told to define that term for the audience, since I'd wondered what it had meant.

But for him to reappear, I did not expect that. :3[/spoiler]
[spoiler]That's totally one of those things you should have seen coming, but there was absolutely no possible way you would have, you know?  Like, it's totally obvious in hindsight, but there were absolutely no signs it was going to happen.[/spoiler]

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: December 09, 2012, 09:26:18 PM
[spoiler]It was nice seeing Turbo in glorious 3D quality though.[/spoiler]

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: December 09, 2012, 11:53:28 PM
[spoiler]That's totally one of those things you should have seen coming, but there was absolutely no possible way you would have, you know?  Like, it's totally obvious in hindsight, but there were absolutely no signs it was going to happen.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]that means it wasn't obvious.
Speaking of which, I totally missed it the first time around, but when the Hero's duty spaceship goes flying into Sugar Rush, it smacks straight past sonic, making him lose his rings, lol.
[/spoiler]

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: December 10, 2012, 12:33:27 AM
Ha, Sonic's the one to preach, he'll permanently die if he gets touched again :p

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: December 10, 2012, 01:15:38 AM
funfact, when they told Sega they wanted to do a scene where Sonic loses his rings, they told them it can only happen if he falls over. He didn't fall over in the scene they had done, so they re-animated it.