Sony Patents In-Game Advertising

Police Girl · 3958

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
on: May 29, 2012, 05:56:14 AM
Well... Not in the "Product Placement on Billboards" sense.

Full on "Stopping the game to show you a TV-style advertisement", yeah we'll see how the public reacts to that.

Article here.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:06:38 PM
If they're stupid enough to actually implement this in their next console, I imagine Sony's games division will be shutting down a week or two after launch.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:23:06 PM
Now where did I put my cipher...

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 09:36:36 PM
They might as well put these advertisements as loading screens if they intend to do this but honestly this is a horrible idea and I have no idea why Sony even thought of this.  If you want to put advertisements in games do like they did in Pikmin 2 where the collectibles are blatant advertisements, if it's like No More Heros or Fallout put it as billboards or something, or like have banners in pause screens like forums and Youtube have it if you don't have ad blocker.  Whoever came up with this idea better be demoted or smacked on the head because games are not meant to have this sort of thing, but I doubt that they would actually do this sort of stupid thing, beta testers would hate it and speed runners would riot.  Otherwise if it does happen then I may lose all faith in Sony, despite how good their games can be.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:32:20 PM
Like Sakura said, the only way.....semi-intelligent way to do this would be to do it during loading times, even though the idea of gaming should be to make loading times as unnoticeable and short as possible. Loading time ads would not accomplish that and would still be a stupid idea. Any other time during the game would be the stupidest, most massively idiotic abomination in gaming history and would warrant taking the game and the system and setting it on fire in front of a Game Stop or Sony Headquarters.

There's no way in hell they are this stupid.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 02:29:28 AM
Like Sakura said, the only way.....semi-intelligent way to do this would be to do it during loading times, even though the idea of gaming should be to make loading times as unnoticeable and short as possible. Loading time ads would not accomplish that and would still be a stupid idea. Any other time during the game would be the stupidest, most massively idiotic abomination in gaming history and would warrant taking the game and the system and setting it on fire in front of a Game Stop or Sony Headquarters.

They might as well put these advertisements as loading screens if they intend to do this but honestly this is a horrible idea and I have no idea why Sony even thought of this.  If you want to put advertisements in games do like they did in Pikmin 2 where the collectibles are blatant advertisements, if it's like No More Heros or Fallout put it as billboards or something, or like have banners in pause screens like forums and Youtube have it if you don't have ad blocker.  Whoever came up with this idea better be demoted or smacked on the head because games are not meant to have this sort of thing, but I doubt that they would actually do this sort of stupid thing, beta testers would hate it and speed runners would riot.  Otherwise if it does happen then I may lose all faith in Sony, despite how good their games can be.

They've done that before.

[youtube]kX4f9zts6JM[/youtube]

Though they removed those since.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 02:48:16 AM
...They did this almost 3 years ago and someone wants to do it again?

Excuse me....
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Why does that statement make me think of this?

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=302

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 04:01:50 AM
They've done that before.

[youtube]kX4f9zts6JM[/youtube]

Though they removed those since.

I'm not surprised and I bet they did.

Offline Sigma Zero X

• Cool Mirage Diver
  • Robot Master
  • "Here We Go!"
    • View Profile
    • Sigma Zero X's Mega Man X Videos
Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 06:54:41 AM
This probably won't last long after it is implemented. 

"Well.  This is just delightful!" - Marino, from Mega Man X Command Mission

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 02:13:10 PM
If it's implemented.  They've been sitting on it for almost a year.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
  • Don't sweat the technique.
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 06:34:05 PM
I'd have no issue with it if it were placed in the loading screens, the games would cost less, and the ad was less then 10 seconds. Shelling out to advertisement makes sense in them trying to get a little extra cash, I have no issue with it. However, I do have an issue with it being like Bionic Commando for the PS3. Pepsi---everywhere. There's a problem when an advertisement makes up 20% of your designs. And annoys the crap out of me, because pepsi tastes like Silverbacked Gorilla sweat.

I can live with ads, as long as there is a counter balance here and it's does NOT interrupt me having a good time to play a commercial about genital herpes.  

Nothing quite breaks the flow like a game of Dragon's Dogma then for the UR-Dragon to come forth about his groin issues.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 10:09:20 PM
I'd have no issue with it if it were placed in the loading screens, the games would cost less, and the ad was less then 10 seconds.

This is the video game industry, there is no way they're going to make the games cost less. That would be sensible.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 10:44:08 PM
Heh, last I remember of in-game advertising is the Soap Shoes from Sonic Adventure 2 (that and the billboard adverts for other games, such as Phantasy Star Online and NiGHTs), guess it wasn't the last I would see product placement, at least in THAT game it was subtle, with "If you can be cool as the blue blur himself, buy these shoes!". Speaking of which he hasn't worn since, I guess his little adventure wore them out pretty quick and went back to his good-ol frictionless sneakers.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.