Mega Man Starbound - Galaxy's Champion

Yoku Man · 188237

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #250 on: April 12, 2012, 04:32:21 PM
You give some fine points too.

Well, I will think about this and see what should be done. I still like the name that goes with the various sketches. Perhaps she can have another role in the game that we haven't come up with yet and get rid of her relation to Terra. Or perhaps that can still be the key to her character.

She doesn't necessarily have to be a part of the Stardroid Army.
Wait! Rigel should be Terra's sister.

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #251 on: April 13, 2012, 05:34:38 AM
Mega Man is sliding now?

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #252 on: April 13, 2012, 07:00:38 AM
Meh..... As I said it's little buggy, esp. in the game engine room. It needs lots of work. But at least it's there now. :P

Added screen shot. See previous post above.

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• The Laberynth Librarian
  • Resistance Member
  • Individuality, so F*#K popularity
    • View Profile
Reply #253 on: April 13, 2012, 08:00:35 AM

What I have so far, I have added more frames for Duo, with a custom head.  I have also created Wyrme, a stage enemy or mid boss!?

Along with Koidrake sprites so far.  Also, the Border Design is not finished, still in beta process.

It's a start.----------------------

Almost forgot, I think Blackhook in these forums, has some decent Ra Thor sprites.  If he is willing that is.  -u-'

They're coming to take me away
hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=veasman#

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #254 on: April 13, 2012, 09:37:24 PM
Is there sprites for a big boss/miniboss teleport animation in GB style? I can't recall any of the minibosses teleporting on screen in the GB games. I think they just appeared. Though I could be wrong.
I was thinking about using it for a title intro in the engine where MegaMan teleports on the screen, blasts the screen, and then transitions to the title menu select screen. I'm just thinking of some ideas for the beginning of the title screen.

Offline Yoku Man

• Robot Master of Yoku Blocks.
  • Resistance Member
  • "Don't Trust Your Eyes, Trust Mine."
    • View Profile
Reply #255 on: April 13, 2012, 09:59:18 PM
Is there sprites for a big boss/miniboss teleport animation in GB style? I can't recall any of the minibosses teleporting on screen in the GB games. I think they just appeared. Though I could be wrong.
I was thinking about using it for a title intro in the engine where MegaMan teleports on the screen, blasts the screen, and then transitions to the title menu select screen. I'm just thinking of some ideas for the beginning of the title screen.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is. But it shouldn't be too hard to make a GB Pallete version of the NES Miniboss teleport animations. Considerinng the size differential, it should be perfect for a GB cutscene Mega Man.

Perhaps we should think about a Intro that goes before the Title too. Like how Mega Man V starts with some story and text. We could think of something that is not the norm for a story and just make things self aware. Like it could just have something like "In the year 20XX, NMario created an engine named Mega Man World...." And it can go on to explain its purpose and such.

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #256 on: April 14, 2012, 06:38:08 AM

Yes there is, go to Sprites Inc. there is only one section that has them.  Go to the MegaMan 4 enemies section, scroll down till you get to the mid-bosses.  The Mid-bosses, Hippo, Whale and Snail have large teleporting.  For the GB, no there are not. 

hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #257 on: April 14, 2012, 08:07:19 AM
Done, and uploaded.

Actually I think I got the NES large teleport sprite for use on a sprite sheet some time ago. I just used that and recolored it to Mega Man's color, and added a bit more dark outlining.

Actually Starsim, I think instead of a story intro like your idea, I might start an intro with a silly Dr. Wily segment or something, and maybe expand on whats going on. From there, I'll probably just frame transition to the title intro or something.
I still have to fix the font for the text typing though. X_X

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #258 on: April 14, 2012, 08:48:23 AM
I need to know if the head of Duo looks good enough, before I start making a better sheet.

hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #259 on: April 14, 2012, 03:01:09 PM
Done, and uploaded.
Actually I think I got the NES large teleport sprite for use on a sprite sheet some time ago. I just used that and recolored it to Mega Man's color, and added a bit more dark outlining.
Actually Starsim, I think instead of a story intro like your idea, I might start an intro with a silly Dr. Wily segment or something, and maybe expand on whats going on. From there, I'll probably just frame transition to the title intro or something.
I still have to fix the font for the text typing though. X_X

Awesome use of sound effects and nicely animated. Can't wait to see what you have planned for the Intro.

I need to know if the head of Duo looks good enough, before I start making a better sheet.

It's hard to say. I'm still not 100% convinced its good enough. Something about that version seems off. Keep trying different styles of heads till I see one I like. Then you can go from there and sprite the rest of Duo's frames.

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #260 on: April 19, 2012, 09:20:56 AM

I have changed Duos head, along with the first frame (scratch) of his meteor form.  Plus, I have checked out all of the sprites of Duo in each of the games, he has been in.  I changed his ear, because of it.

The Border is finished. 

I hope Blackhook doesn't mind, but I like his Ra Thor sprites a lot. I changed his colors a tad. 

I also added a new enemy/block.  The only safe spot, is on top.

hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #261 on: April 19, 2012, 07:50:05 PM
After looking at this new head. I guess I am beginning to understand what it is I prefer. I think I liked the previous head, but the face is wrong somehow. Maybe its how the eyes and mouth look. Maybe he won't need to have lips and speak during his cutscenes. Mega Man never did. (Although strangely Dr Light and Auto did in MM10)

I think If Ra Thor does show up, I dunno, I'd prefer a different sprite to Blackhooks. It looks a little squashed. Ra Thor was quite thin and tall in SAR.

Sorry about all this negative commentary lately. I just want the best possible look. And its hard to convey what that is. But I really appreciate everyones help so far. Thats the whole point of sketches and rough designs so we can keep trying and trying till we get it right.

Keep up the good work everyone. I'm loving how all these designs are evolving.

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #262 on: April 19, 2012, 09:52:45 PM
The thing I didn't like about the last head, after long thoughts and pondering.  His head was to square looking.  Now that you mentioned it, his eyes and mouth do look a little weird.  His eyes are a little small, his mouth may not be needed at all.

So you want Ra Thor to be a little taller than, I'll see what I can do.

Plus, that is what C&C is for, the best advice anyone can give or receive, is criticism. 

hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #263 on: April 20, 2012, 12:54:38 AM
oh god ra thor?

this game gets better and better

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #264 on: April 20, 2012, 03:40:58 PM
My criticism sense was tingling! I heard somebody doesn't like my sprite? That's impossible!
Joking aside, I don't remember Ra Thor being much thinner/taller than the RMs in SAR. Though My sprite really isn't anything special.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #265 on: April 21, 2012, 07:27:20 AM
Well here is try numero tres.

I added a little more flair, kinda? Did what I could to keep a little bit of the earlier sketches without conforming to either one too heavily. I believe Star was saying something about a princess in an earlier post? Maybe Rigel is her? Perhaps she acts in a role akin to Blues in Rockman 3? You're not initially sure whether she is good or bad. Also I don't know why but I always seem to come back to blades/melee with her attack style.

Confused?
My first idea is maybe she's the Princess and is helping Rock.
Second one is you're not sure which side she affiliates with for a good part of the game like Blues' first appearance.

Anyways, hope you guys like this one more!

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #266 on: April 21, 2012, 02:57:14 PM
She looks beautiful! Intriguing idea that she could be the princess. That adds even more depth into the story.
Several possibilities, she could be a double agent, secreted her way into Orions ranks as his number one soldier, or perhaps she was originally a stardroid and had a change of heart. She could still be a princess in both circumstances. Ruling originaply by force as a Stardroid or a beloved royal of the goodies who is taking on the oppressors single-handed. A brave woman.
Duet was the name I was going to name the Princess, but perhaps that could be her real name. It goes well with her role too, a duet requires two, and she has two identities.

As for her latest design. I LOVE IT. I think we've nailed our first final desihn for one of our original characters. Duet/Rigel has that regal warrior look about her and still looks Stardroid-like with the armour.
I'll post a follow up reply once thedesign has sunk in more. She's growing on me. Perhaps a nice high quality colour may be next.

Offline MC Jimmy

• Loser who makes MM72 music.
  • Net Navi
  • Pon de Replay?
    • View Profile
    • MC Productions
Reply #267 on: April 24, 2012, 11:24:03 AM
Skimmed through the topic. This looks pretty neato.

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #268 on: April 24, 2012, 02:44:26 PM
Skimmed through the topic. This looks pretty neato.

Yep! Thanks for showing an interest Jimmy. I'm hoping to make this an exceptional fangame, unlike any previous one before it. Like an artist always tries to achieve, he will make his work of art stand out with its own style and look. As far as I'm aware, no one has tried to do the Gameboy Advance style of fangame yet. I think its looks cool and cute with the vibrant colours and outlines.

I also think the limitations of the gameboy canvas and physics will make for extra challenge for the game too. I will put to good use the strengths of the "well respected" Mega Man V game and expand it from there, and if its a success I'm hoping to do sequels too.

Btw, folks, still in the process of finishing the Dr Wily Gimmick stage. It'll be in two parts, because of how big it is becoming. I'm incorporating as many gimmicks from all the Mega Man games into the level as I can so that everything can be coded into the engine. There will be anything that a fan could want easily accessible to be recreated in their own game... for convenience of course. No need to thank me. :P

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #269 on: April 24, 2012, 08:04:22 PM
I'm actually quite anxious as to how your gimmick level is turning out. I wonder how much difficult it will be to go through the level. :)

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #270 on: April 24, 2012, 08:54:40 PM
I'm actually quite anxious as to how your gimmick level is turning out. I wonder how much difficult it will be to go through the level. :)

I'm hoping for it to be as challenging as a regular stage. It won't be as long as believed if you keep to a designated path. The stages are designed to have replay value, so you can take another path next time to try out alternate gimmicks. Just think of it as a regular Mega Man 6 Stage.

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #271 on: April 29, 2012, 10:54:00 PM

What I have so far, Rigel based on the picture from before.  Ra Thor, side by side comparison to Blackhooks and mine.  Auto with another customed face.  Mouthless this time, I also made his eyes a tad bigger.

Wyrme with a different color scheme, I am opened for color choices for him.

Also, does everyone like the color scheme I have chose for the bosses?

hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #272 on: April 30, 2012, 02:54:45 PM
I tried to stick with the NES limited colors. MegaMan uses 2 sets of palettes (one for the body, the other for the head part), the new colors used for Dr. Wily would use a 2nd set.

The use of a 2nd palette is all fine and dandy , just remember how it's all very situational. By adding more palettes specifically for one character, you sacrifice them on another, unless they share their palettes. You just got to consider at all times "what else will be on screen?".

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #273 on: May 01, 2012, 06:26:28 PM
The use of a 2nd palette is all fine and dandy , just remember how it's all very situational. By adding more palettes specifically for one character, you sacrifice them on another, unless they share their palettes. You just got to consider at all times "what else will be on screen?".

Which would be more true for an NES game than a GBA game. Recall that Megaman Mania was a GBA title, using all of the GBA processing power, going over the NES and GB color limits. In fact, the Wily here would be using one single 16 color sprite palette (out of a total of 16 sprite palettes).

They really took advantage of this for some of the original bosses, that have more 'shading' then the NES port overs. MMV especially, check out the Megaman Mania screen shots earlier in this thread.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline fifthindependent

• Pretentious Bastard
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
    • Fifth Independent
Reply #274 on: May 02, 2012, 01:14:13 PM
What I'm showing here is when you move, the collision box and the player aren't 'sync' together. There seems to be a slight delay of the sort.
doing some testing, I was kind of able to fix this. However after doing so, when you move forward, either the player or the screen kind of moves a bit shaky. This was an issue from before thought to be 'fixed' now, so I don't know what else to do. :(

I don't think it's really a problem.  In MMR the collision boxes and sprites themselves have this problem, although the player can't see it, and no one has complained about it after a month of the game being available for download.

If you really want the problem alleviated, did you try using a fastloop to set the position of the player sprite?  What I did was set the player sprite's position to the collision box instead and had all the movement attached to the collision box and I scroll the screen based on the collision box rather than the player sprite.

Do you mind if I add you on MSN Messenger?  I can perhaps help you out with things a little since I use MMF2 as well.

Also, as for the Wily sprite, I think the NES did it that way because of the sprite palette limit on the NES as others mentioned.  Although, you aren't working with NES limits.  ;)  The sprites in the sheet however wouldn't be possible on the NES, unless you used an additional palette for them, because sprites on the NES can only have 3 colors per palette plus an additional transparency color.