Acid · 4356

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
on: December 21, 2008, 12:20:39 AM
Is that:

- MM2 has the best Wily Stages.
- MM3 is the best overall.
- MM4 has the best non-Wily final stages, including fitting music.
- MM5 is the prettiest of the 8-bit games, with some real gems among its soundtrack (such as the intro theme and the final battle music).
- MM7 is the best non-8-bit classical Mega Man, with the second best Wily stages.
- MM8 has some really cool bossmusic and DUO!
- MM9 found its own style despite various attempts to recreate MM2.

You guys can share your thoughts too!

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 01:02:54 AM
-MM6 has a jetpack suit

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 01:11:00 AM
Megaman 7 has the most underrated boss tune ever. Also, the classic series is what video games should be at their core, good fun without any fluff.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 01:12:55 AM
MM1 is a timeless gem.  I still say CutMan is a Latin Lover with his awesomely hispanic theme, plus the RM designs are still excellent.  Also, I think the Wily Stage songs are very underrated!

MM2 has the best music, IMO.  Especially the Boss music.  The level designs are awesome.  It's also my personal favorite!  And [tornado fang] YEAH, ALIEN WILY!

MM3 is the best Classic MM game, for me.  It brought so much to the table.  Blues, Rush, Blues, Broken Rush Jet, Blues, Blues, Doc Robots, and Blues.  Also, I think MM3 has the 2nd best music, but without question, the best Weapon Get theme ever.  The level designs were top notch.  Also, Blues!

MM4's music is very Underrated to me.  The RM designs were awesome, especially Disco Dancing PharaohMan (Thanx ACID). 

MM5 was a great game, with even more kick ass RM designs.  Also, no real need to use anything but the Mega Buster.

MM6 is an underrated game, IMO.  The music is among some of my favorite, plus I love the Rush Armor.  Still the weakest game I think, but I still love it very much.  Also, gotta love The Mysterious Mr. X, when Wily just wasn't trying anymore.

MM7 is an absolute gem for me.  Super Rush Adaptor, you get to fight Blues and get his Shield, Forte & Gospel, one of the best Boss Themes and Wily Machine themes ever.  Just an all around fantastic game.  Also, arrogant FreezeMan is <3!

MM8 brought a very unique style, which I really loved.  Electrical Communication still holds as the greatest piece of Animated MM for me as well.

MM9 was such a refreshing game to play.  Fantastic Boss Music, kick ass RM designs, totally broken weapons, FABulous JewelMan, sexy SplashWoman, and the best Wily Machine theme ever, IMO. 

Offline Flok

• Passionate Gamer
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Killsringman
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 02:15:14 AM
It's time to answer this familiar question again:

MM1: The true classic, while it's sequel is like, you know, the true sequel. True=Awesome in my dictionary. Every once in a while, whenever another great Mega Man comes out, I tend to think back to the one that started it ALL.

MM2: The greatest fan favorite Mega Man game out there, and the most memorable one for many.

MM3: My personal favorite, besides having excellent additions such as Proto Man, Rush and the Slide, it is also the longest Classic game, with the best music, the best Dr.Wily stages, the most variety and the most memorable to me, it being a big part of my childhood. MM3 is my favorite single player game.

MM4: RING MAN. That, and the Mega Buster, Dr.Cossack stages, and more great music, like any good Mega Man game.

MM5: In my opinion, the weakest and most average of the Classic games so far.

MM6: The underdog. I dig underdogs.

MM7: The greatest cast of Robot Masters is to be found here. Bass gets introduced, it has fresh graphics, MANY secrets, a weird shop and the hardest final boss.

MM8: Another pair of fresh graphics, and that's about it. A bit better than MM5.

MM8.5: The most "mature" cast of Robot Masters is to be found here. The CD database rocks, Mega Man & Bass are both fully playable, and this is the most difficult Classic game for me as a whole.

MM9: One of the greatest revivals to a franchise ever made, and it will inspire many game developers out there for sure. Has the best lineup of Boss Weapons, and is in overall, one of the best. I love it so much, the most important reason is because it finally exists!

Flok's favorites:

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 03:27:27 AM
MM6 Really is a underrated one.
It gets dismissed as broken or terrible so fast, some people just can't look past a few flaws to see a great soundtrack, some creative robot master designs and probably the best use of Rush.
Rush Power.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 03:29:48 AM
MM8: I actually got "Megaman" trips from playing this game.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 08:36:59 AM
I only think of the GB games.
Seriously, I never knew the existence of the NES games until a few years later.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 08:42:02 AM
It could be worse.  For years I only knew Mega Man from the TV show and its toy commercials.  I remember when I first looked at a list of NES games online and thought, "They made six games out of that one silly show??"

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 09:32:50 AM
I'll cover the ones I always cover!

MMPC: Brings in bizarre RMs in a bizarre world.  Nobody likes it (okay, except one person I know of) but it's inclusion in the history brings a richness only nonchalont licensing can bring.  By all means, the best non-Capcom MM game.

R&F WS: Brought us the return of Tango, Reggae, and Quint!  Sort of.  One of the only times Wily really isn't behind the "mysterious attacks".  Kornomn looks like one of the enemies from MM2.  Now if only we could hack the weapons from it so we can fight some "impossible battles"...

Wily Wars: Brings us Metal Blade in every single MM game (if you know how). 

RM Strategy: Brings us playable Auto, Beat, Rush and Eddy as well as many unique bosses and 3-D graphics.  Some of them even look decent!

Offline ParasiteBirth

• Useless Dweeb
  • A-Class Hunter
  • Some random dweeb
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 03:54:25 AM

Is that:

- MM2 has the best Wily Stages.
- MM3 is the best overall.
- MM4 has the best non-Wily final stages, including fitting music.
- MM5 is the prettiest of the 8-bit games, with some real gems among its soundtrack (such as the intro theme and the final battle music).
- MM7 is the best non-8-bit classical Mega Man, with the second best Wily stages.
- MM8 has some really cool bossmusic and DUO!
- MM9 found its own style despite various attempts to recreate MM2.

I agree with you on all your points Acid,

-MM6 has a jetpack suit

And you too Align,

And also,  the fact that MM4 introduced the Charge shot, made it even more awesome.

Check my YouTube Channel for Challenges, Speed Run videos and more!

Offline BaconMan

• Robot Master
  • Get Equipped With Bacon Slice
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 06:12:59 PM
MM1: Freaking HARD levels. Bosses are pusses, though. Also, scoring system rocks; I wonder why it ever went away...

MM2: More hardness; but manageable. The first real game of "paper rock scissors" that isn't totally obvious the first time.

MM3: This is the one that started it for me; and I still think it's the best. Yes, we know Rush and Blues. But this is also the only game where you replay "broken" levels and face SIXTEEN Robot Masters! 16, in one game. You'd have to drop at least 3 credits to do that, in the arcade versions, which are the only other ones I know of that even feature more than 10. Best master weapons, too.

MM4: Replaced fast-action reflexes with patience. Not the best, but noteable for it's boss levels.

MM5: An overall good execution, but it fails in one critical point. "The Retard Coil."  -_-

MM6: A very fun title, and it's good to see them trying something new. Plus, springs and timer-bombs are only hints as to what's to come. FAR too generous with E-Tanks and 1ups, however.

MMV: GameBoy finally gets it's own bosses and master weapons! Fun levels and good music, too. Stardroids and Duo really make me wonder what the first chapter of this saga really is... after all, in MM8, Duo seems to recongize Blues... (I'm not sure if Wily/Light "built" him, at all! Maybe they've all been "Reploids," all along...)

MM7: Amazing title, and probably my 2nd favorite; if nothing else, for the ShadeMan level. It truly went beyond expectations. You encounter Bass there, you encounter and fight Proto there, it has secret music, and the splitting passage at the miniboss - just truly epic. Also, my personal favorite Wily music, ever. Rush Search was fun/funny about the first 2,500 times I used it, too.

MM8: Probably the most playful, fun title; though a bit slow-paced and far too forgiving for my tastes. You know those spots in TenguMan's level, where you ride the bubbles? If that were ANY other game, those spikeballs = death. (See also; WaveMan) And anybody who thinks the FrostMan boarding sequences are hard needs to play the Jet Stingray and Squid Adler levels in the X-series.

MM&B: Collecting the CDs was fun. But outside of that? Was pretty standard faire. Levels are very difficult as MegaMan, bosses are tougher as Bass; which seems pretty fair, I suppose.

RnF WS: Uh-oh! There's an entire set of levels, bosses, and weapons I have *nothing* on! ^.^

MM9: I swear, I'm the last man on Earth (who cares) that doesn't have that game yet. Damned new-gen systems...   ;O;

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 06:37:44 PM
MM9: I swear, I'm the last man on Earth (who cares) that doesn't have that game yet. Damned new-gen systems...   ;O;
I don't have MM9 either... ;O;

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 07:11:54 PM
Sobber party time  ;O;  ;O;  ;O;

Offline Acrosurge

• Crossover Hunter
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 03:45:07 PM
Sobber party time  ;O;  ;O;  ;O;
Count me in.   O^O  I don't have MM9 either, and no hope of affording a next gen system in the near future.   ;O;

... but I did enjoy the classic series.  MM5 was the first MM game I owned and it kicked my butt at first.  I have to agree with Acid; MM5 was overall the best-looking of the classic games on the NES.  The Mega Buster owned serious booty in that game, too (it was our first taste of the overpowered goodness that was to come with the later Mark 17 Mega Buster).

Enjoy life,
Acrosurge

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 03:34:11 AM
It would have been better if you didn't lose your charge upon getting hit and if you could continue to charge up while sliding.  Seriously, what was up with that?  Your charge level doesn't increase during a slide?  4 and 6 didn't have that problem, so why 5?

Offline Rock Bomb

• Worst Example of a
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 03:41:05 AM
MM1 is fun to run through, so long as I don't have to go through gutsman's stage...

MM2 has the best Music

MM3 has the best items ( Rush Jet was so great in this game, it was broken, and capcom took it out.  ;_; )

MM4, 5, and 6 are underrated

MM8 has the best Animation

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 05:41:07 PM
Some games that stand out to me (though not neccessarily the best) are:
- Mega Man 5, the way I see it, this was the game that brought about the "current (at least for the time before Mega Man 9)" classic Mega Man. Your appearance was slightly updated, you had your charged shot, and Beat is intoduced. Not to mention that we finally learn more of Proto Man, and what he's all about.
- Rockman & Forte 2, although it's not made by Capcom, Bandai really tried to make it look like that. And like Gauntlet101010 said, they even went a step further; forgotten characters were given new life, like Tango, Reggae (but us Americans only know him as that bird who laughs at you if you put in the wrong password in Mega Man 7), and Quint (though it's not actually him, they still recognize he's too important of a character to just forget about). Though the gameplay was mediocre for Mega Man standards, it still felt like Mega Man.