Dark Souls

Acid · 52007

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #350 on: November 14, 2016, 12:41:52 AM
Oooh yeah. I noticed that in AotA as well. I genuinely had to change my entire set from EK/Havel to full Gold-Hemmed Black (and later Chester set) in order to stay competitive in that entire DLC, which is a major no-no. (Granted, Chester + Pharis Hat became my Fashion Souls set for NG+ so I can forgive it a bit.) It forced me out of the mid-roll tank playstyle I was accustomed to into DODGE EVERYTHING OR [tornado fang]ing DIE. Which I thought was cool at first but then later realized that this is not exactly balanced.

Fume Knight is the best example imo, because while he was difficult, without changing my playstyle I was still able to overcome him after only a few tries.

Also I forgot to mention earlier that BB also had the whole rally HP-regen system that I entirely forgot, which made aggressive play more viable than DS3. I'd forgive a lot if you could regen from counterattacking in 3.

But uh... Yeah... Miracles in DS2 are... Sad. I'm amazed even after all the massive nerfs Sorcery got since vanilla, it's still the twink magic of choice.

Honestly, given my bias for DS2, my rankings have shifted to:

DS2 > BB > DS1 > DeS > DS3

Which, again, I'm heavily biased with 2 being my favorite. I know 2 has a lot of problems. Plus actually playing DeS (I've at least had BB in my hands for a good ten minutes as well as watching a fuckton of streams) would prooobably shift that around a bit.

The Rally system honestly should have been in Dark Souls 3, otherwise I feel like I'm just trading blows 90% of the time.

Thankfully I eventually adapted in DS3 and despite having no heavy armor or a shield I've become pretty good at dodging around fast weapons and timing my heavier blows in PvP.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #351 on: November 14, 2016, 12:51:29 AM
I kind of love AND hate how DS3's PVP has gone from the more focused 1v1 duels of DS1 and 2 to more chaotic all-out brawls between hosts and white, gold, red, and purple ganksquads. It's stupid and it's a mindless healfest but goddamn is it entertaining to watch.

Plus you still get your fightclubs so.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #352 on: November 14, 2016, 05:54:11 AM
The New arena from the DLC has also made choosing the type of PVP you want far easier too!

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #353 on: November 15, 2016, 05:21:58 AM
Now THAT is convenient. I heard a lot of griping about Ashes of Arandiel being too PVP arena-focused but so far it seems like that's a non-issue.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #354 on: November 15, 2016, 05:47:14 AM
Now THAT is convenient. I heard a lot of griping about Ashes of Arandiel being too PVP arena-focused but so far it seems like that's a non-issue.

Once you beat the second boss of the DLC in the frozen lakebed area it unlocks a new option at the Firelink Shrine bonfire where you can pick the kinda duels you wish to do. It remains unlocked forever even after NG+ as well!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #355 on: November 19, 2016, 03:28:33 AM
I really disliked Ashes of Ariandel. Holy [parasitic bomb] could it be any more uninspired and absolutely irrelevant to the main game.

"hey, remember bloodborne? well here's some more bloodborne enemies!"
"hey remember painted world? Here it is again!"
"Hey, remember lady Maria? here's a rehash of that."
"Remember Sif? here, have this turbo dogger that you fought before as a stage enemy but this time fights you near a grave as a boss"

the viking looking enemies were cool though i guess. But I just can't be bothered to finish the damn place.

That said, the arena is somewhat enjoyable.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #356 on: November 19, 2016, 04:15:48 AM
"I really disliked Ashes of Ariandel. Holy [parasitic bomb] could it be any more uninspired and absolutely irrelevant to the main game."

Disagree so much, my only complaint is that it's too short, but given it was one part of the originally planned expansion that can be expected. That being said how can you say it's irrelevant when the story isn't finished yet.

All of Dark Souls 3 is heavily influenced by Bloodborne.

Whats wrong with revisiting a popular location, besides we learned ALOT about both this painted world and the old one in this DLC alone.

"Hey, remember lady Maria? here's a rehash of that."

Characters are completely different both in design; backstory and fighting style.

"Remember Sif? here, have this turbo dogger that you fought before as a stage enemy but this time fights you near a grave as a boss"

Knights of Faron have a presence in the painted world; considering their relationship to Knight Artorias the wolf at least makes sense. It's the same species of wolf as the corpse from the swamp too.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #357 on: November 19, 2016, 05:45:59 AM

All of Dark Souls 3 is heavily influenced by Bloodborne.

Whats wrong with revisiting a popular location, besides we learned ALOT about both this painted world and the old one in this DLC alone.

The problem is it has no identity of it's own. Brume Tower, Elleum Loyce, Shulva, those were all unique and brought something new. they were true expansions.

AoA is just a painted world rehash on a larger scale. And thats fine- but I would have preferred something totally different, considering the rest of the game is already a "greatest hits" series of rehashes and callbacks to previous souls games, including heavy Bloodborne influence that it suffers from.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #358 on: November 19, 2016, 04:03:55 PM
The problem is it has no identity of it's own. Brume Tower, Elleum Loyce, Shulva, those were all unique and brought something new. they were true expansions.

AoA is just a painted world rehash on a larger scale. And thats fine- but I would have preferred something totally different, considering the rest of the game is already a "greatest hits" series of rehashes and callbacks to previous souls games, including heavy Bloodborne influence that it suffers from.

I don't feel comparing the two painted world works very well though.

The original painted world is just a left over test area, it was designed to test their level design and enemy placements hence why it was so varied it also allowed them to use Priscilla who was meant to be the new "Maiden in Black" of Dark Souls 1 but was ultimately cut from that roll in the story. It's a cool area but outside shedding some light on velka's followers and Havel's rebellion it's not important too the story and certainly doesn't have must personality beyond "Jesus bonewheel skelies ruuuun".

Ashes of Ariendel is a fully realized community, we visit multiple locations from a snowy field to the ruins of an ancient tribe of barbarians to the settlement of velka's followers finally delving into the depths of the church and finding the source of the rot afflicting the painted world.  All the while we see hints of the turmoil the corvians are facing as the ones still loyal to showing flame to the painter girl are cruelly hunted down and killed by Corvians loyal to Sister Friede who is also an interesting character as she is one of the three sister of Londor and even comments on you being lord of hollows if you followed that story line.

Painted World of Ariendel is in short a fully realized world with packed with life, and a full story; we see from an outsider's perspective the danagers of clinging to the old world and learn they did not make the same mistakes as Lord Gwyn until Sister Freidie arrived and influenced their culture with her own, the Rot is the Painted World's abyss after all.

DLC#2 will likely involve finally creating this new Painted World, Miazaki promised the second DLC will be story heavy and I feel like DLC1 was setting something up, plus it sounds like these two expansions were meant to be one thing originally like Bloodborne's own was (two DLCs merged into one large one)

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #359 on: December 06, 2016, 02:04:35 AM
I feel like we didn't get to see enough of what was under the church; A giant room with a few hallways wasn't enough (and the giant room was more of a chore than anything else). Otherwise, I liked AoA well enough.

... So sad the Corona is useless though.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #360 on: January 19, 2017, 07:16:44 AM
Finished my DS3 fashion souls, finally!

[spoiler=Main set - Profaned Greatsword/Parrying Dagger][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Secondary set - Irythill Rapier/Grass Crest Shield][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Face detail][/spoiler]

Armor is Pharis Hat/Mirrah Vest/Black Knight Gauntlets/Black Leggings. As for rings, I'm running Carthus Milkring/Untrue Dark Ring/Chloranthy Ring/Ring of Favor (and Protection :P).

I finally have my fashion souls set up for all three Dark Soulses. Feels good, man.

If I haven't posted my DS1 and 2 builds yet I'll do that too.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #361 on: January 19, 2017, 03:16:29 PM
Your fashion levels are maximum!

Shall I post my Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne fashion souls too? (I still need to do my current fashion souls to Demons/Dark Souls 1 and 2)  8D

One common thing of my character Ruelia is she uses a light greatsword and thats about it, focusing on dodging and maybe miracles depending on the game. She's based on an old DnD character.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #362 on: January 20, 2017, 04:11:57 AM
Please do!

And yeah, that character (Lorian, who has nothing to do with the boss and I swear to god I made up that name before DS3 even released since she was my DS2 sorceror [tornado fang]) started out as rapier/estoc but I switched to profaned after realizing finally how based it is for PVP.

Anyways, I'll post my DS1/2 characters in a moment. Just have to take some screenshots.

EDIT:

[spoiler=DS2 Snake]
Easily the most generic character I've ever done but WOO JOUSTING

Set is Grand Lance/Greatsword on right, Tower Shield and Pyromancy Flame on left. Armor is Durgo's Hat/Robes of Judgement/Drangleic Leggings/Drangleic Gauntlets. Rings are Leo Ring/Third Dragon Ring/Royal Soldier Ring/Stone Ring.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=DS2 Lorian]
I made her to be my edgelord character (hence leveling dex). And yes, I know I got the tattoo location wrong in the DS3 version but I handwaved that away in her faux-backstory anyways.

Her fashion souls isn't entirely complete but right now I'm satisfied with no helm/Grave Warden Top/Imported Manchettes/Alonne Knight Leggings. Running a Rapier/Sorcery build with Blossom Kite Shield on offhand. Ring set is Covetous Silver Serpent Ring/Southern Ritual Band/Clear Bluestone Ring/Stone Ring.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=DS1 Scarlett]
My first actual Dark Souls character period. Build's horribly unoptimized and also part meme.

Set is Chaos Zweihander on main, Grass Crest Shield on offhand. Yes. I'm THAT guy. And yes, the zwei IS modded to say Bass Cannon. When NOT shitposting, I run Quelaag's Furysword/Miracles. Rings are Havel's Ring/Ring of Favor and Protection, naturally. Armor set is Pharis Hat/Chester's Long Coat/Elite Knight Gauntlets/Elite Knight Leggings. (Leggings not pictured because I needed to fastroll since I had to kill the Anor Londo firekeeper.)[/spoiler]

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #363 on: January 20, 2017, 02:19:44 PM
Dark Souls 2 had the best potential for fashion AND cosplay

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #364 on: January 20, 2017, 03:27:37 PM
Please do!

And yeah, that character (Lorian, who has nothing to do with the boss and I swear to god I made up that name before DS3 even released since she was my DS2 sorceror [tornado fang]) started out as rapier/estoc but I switched to profaned after realizing finally how based it is for PVP.

Anyways, I'll post my DS1/2 characters in a moment. Just have to take some screenshots.

EDIT:

[spoiler=DS2 Snake]
Easily the most generic character I've ever done but WOO JOUSTING

Set is Grand Lance/Greatsword on right, Tower Shield and Pyromancy Flame on left. Armor is Durgo's Hat/Robes of Judgement/Drangleic Leggings/Drangleic Gauntlets. Rings are Leo Ring/Third Dragon Ring/Royal Soldier Ring/Stone Ring.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=DS2 Lorian]
I made her to be my edgelord character (hence leveling dex). And yes, I know I got the tattoo location wrong in the DS3 version but I handwaved that away in her faux-backstory anyways.

Her fashion souls isn't entirely complete but right now I'm satisfied with no helm/Grave Warden Top/Imported Manchettes/Alonne Knight Leggings. Running a Rapier/Sorcery build with Blossom Kite Shield on offhand. Ring set is Covetous Silver Serpent Ring/Southern Ritual Band/Clear Bluestone Ring/Stone Ring.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=DS1 Scarlett]
My first actual Dark Souls character period. Build's horribly unoptimized and also part meme.

Set is Chaos Zweihander on main, Grass Crest Shield on offhand. Yes. I'm THAT guy. And yes, the zwei IS modded to say Bass Cannon. When NOT shitposting, I run Quelaag's Furysword/Miracles. Rings are Havel's Ring/Ring of Favor and Protection, naturally. Armor set is Pharis Hat/Chester's Long Coat/Elite Knight Gauntlets/Elite Knight Leggings. (Leggings not pictured because I needed to fastroll since I had to kill the Anor Londo firekeeper.)[/spoiler]

"Well What is it?"  XD

They all look quite fashionable.

That it did, Dark Souls 3 isn't too bad either sadly it's more challenging for Demons Souls and Bloodborne.  O^O

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #365 on: January 21, 2017, 12:46:04 AM

Easily. Had a really good balance of heavy and light armor sets, hats, hoods, helmets, gloves, gauntlets. Even had an ecchi set. (The desert sorceress chest looks good on guys by the way. I put it on for manly fistfighting sessions.)

"Well What is it?"  XD

They all look quite fashionable.

That it did, Dark Souls 3 isn't too bad either sadly it's more challenging for Demons Souls and Bloodborne.  O^O

Haha, thank you! I'm still working on Lorian in DS2 since she's only about halfway through NG (since I had to restart my saves when I bought the game). I'll update when she's finished.

DS3's fashion souls potential is pretty good but some of the sets just... Don't look that great. The sunless set comes to mind for instance.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #366 on: January 23, 2017, 11:39:09 PM
I personally have trouble with DaS3's fashion souls. everything just sort of blends together in a way that makes it hard to stand out. its a similar problem to bloodborne. Where everything technically matches well, but nothing stands out because everything is a variety of dark trenchcoat and dark boots and dark gloves

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #367 on: January 30, 2017, 07:21:52 PM
So... I tried the DLC arena for the first time last night. Something very mystical happened.

The first two guys I fought were twinks who used quickstep weapons (I think bandit's on the first, bringand's on the second), both with Darkmoon Blade... And they shredded my [parasitic bomb] to nothing. I don't know how they did it, if they just leveled exclusively DEX and FTH (they had next to no HP, since I got an R1 on each of them and it tore off like half their health), but it was weird as [parasitic bomb].

I have never seen that before and I haven't seen it since. I was just sitting there like... "Man how many levels of meta am I on right now?"

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #368 on: January 30, 2017, 09:40:21 PM
So... I tried the DLC arena for the first time last night. Something very mystical happened.

The first two guys I fought were twinks who used quickstep weapons (I think bandit's on the first, bringand's on the second), both with Darkmoon Blade... And they shredded my [parasitic bomb] to nothing. I don't know how they did it, if they just leveled exclusively DEX and FTH (they had next to no HP, since I got an R1 on each of them and it tore off like half their health), but it was weird as [parasitic bomb].

I have never seen that before and I haven't seen it since. I was just sitting there like... "Man how many levels of meta am I on right now?"

I stopped trying to understand meta a long time ago-I just swing around a giant piece of iron and hope it smooshes fools.  8D

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #369 on: February 01, 2017, 08:48:42 PM
I dont bother with the 1v1 myself. I like the 3v3. The more the merrier.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #370 on: February 06, 2017, 04:19:49 PM
My only problem with that arena mode is actually finding people to play. Matchmaking takes ages.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #371 on: February 11, 2017, 10:02:34 AM
Decided to sit myself down and blow through the last couple bosses today. Finished it. (Didn't move into NG+ since The Ringed City is in a month and a half, may as well wait.)

I can now say I've beaten all three Dark Souls titles. I can finally resume being a regular human being. Least 'til I get DeS and BB.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #372 on: February 12, 2017, 12:55:43 AM
Can you guys help me out w/ something? I just bought the Bloodborne DLC but nothing was downloaded or added to the download list/history.

I checked the game and I have the latest update. I am definitely down $20 or whatever the cost. Did I get screwed? :\ Is there anything early on that can be checked in-game to see if the DLC is there (only played a little bit of BB so far)? The title screen seems the same.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #373 on: February 12, 2017, 03:19:15 AM
Maybe not in-game, but can you check your PSN account?

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #374 on: February 12, 2017, 03:34:56 AM
Yeah, my download history doesn't list this purchase, that's why I'm kinda worried :\