It's dead, Jim.

Sparky · 57566

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #250 on: September 23, 2011, 02:43:40 AM
Megaman has done racing, Though they should do it again, because Battle and Chase was so damn fun. A modern version would be sweet.

Ive also been waiting for a good 3D megaman platforming forever. I wish we would get one of those. Its certainly possible, but I would give it to an outside party to handle. I dont think Capcom could do it.

Say what one will about Sonic Team, at least theyve tried. again and again.
I know people count stuff like Legends (which I honestly count as an RPG/action/dungeon crawling hybrid) and the 3D parts in X7 (or was it X8?) as a 3D platformer. But I'm talking about straight platforming, the kind Mario 64, Sonic Adventure and Crash Bahdicoot do so well. Both Jak 2/3, Ratchet & Clank and Metroid/Other M have done 3D platforming with shooting in a wonderful manner, so it could work really well. Not only that, imagine the kinds of bosses that the series could have in 3D. The series is famous for its inventive bosses. Honestly, most of my favorite gaming boss fights have happened in 3D. I'd love to see Megaman take a shot at those.

And Sonic Team, I can't blame them. Sega requires a yearly Sonic, but they've learned too with these mistakes, even if the games are still being bought by fans regardless of quality, they still want to make them respectable. But Sonic has one of the toughest kinds of gameplay to work with, and they have tried alot of different things. Only when they settled on a single style, they could make it work. But for a team that has to churn out a whole game every year, I give them kudos for this.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #251 on: September 23, 2011, 03:03:46 AM
Legends isnt a Platformer. Its a 3D Action RPG/Dungeon Crawler.

X7's 3D segments are Platformers. But again, badly hindered by the [parasitic bomb] level design.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #252 on: September 23, 2011, 12:40:14 PM
Legends isnt a Platformer. Its a 3D Action RPG/Dungeon Crawler.

X7's 3D segments are Platformers. But again, badly hindered by the [parasitic bomb] level design.

I know people count stuff like Legends (which I honestly count as an RPG/action/dungeon crawling hybrid)
Which is what I said exactly.

Anyway, I kinda imagine a game like this, with more jumping, would be quite cool:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-wsiyf-5jY[/youtube]

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #253 on: September 23, 2011, 12:50:36 PM
Oh [tornado fang], Flash, you brought up XBuster. The last time I saw that, the Planet servers were still up.
Shame the last I played, it was broken like crazy, because it would have been great if it were finished. But, Cutstuff's 8bit Deathmatch serves the same purpose, and that was pretty much released.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #254 on: September 23, 2011, 03:00:52 PM
The Xbuster Quake mod thing? Thats pretty much what I ALWAYS imagined a 3D Mega Man platformer looking like.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #255 on: September 23, 2011, 03:19:13 PM
I always asked myself why Capcom didn't just make a game like this. Just... a regular 3D platformer, like every single other company did with their 2D platformer franchises. I used to tell myself that fans just liked the 2D platforming without ducking or aiming up too much. Now I honestly just don't know.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #256 on: September 23, 2011, 03:42:17 PM
probably because the 2D kept selling well, and the 3D Legends bombed. So they skipped the 3D, and kept at 2D, until X7, where again they tried 3D, by integrating it with 2D. It failed. So back to 2D it was.

Command Mission was 3D, although not a platformer, but it probably didnt sell well or they didnt want to take the risk of trying 3D again, if there isnt a CM 2 or another 3D effort.

So they went 2D with X8. buuut, X8, and ZX2, didnt sell well enough, so the 2D began to stagnate. With no idea left on what to do, they figured a return to Classic's roots would be a welcome revival of the classic franchise.

then they made another one.

but apparently 10 didnt do well enough since we dont have 11.

And so we are where we are now, where Capcom doesnt know what the [tornado fang] to do with megaman and doesnt want to take the risk and try something. So they neatly fold him away and focus on merchandise instead. Until someone gets a lightbulb over their head and releases another megaman game, one which will be received as "FINALLY A NEW GAME" but which will probably be nothing all too special at all.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #257 on: September 23, 2011, 05:30:33 PM
But they never actually tried a 3D platformer. That's what confuses me.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #258 on: September 24, 2011, 05:20:02 AM
I suppose their baby-step of X7 was enough to discourage them.  Although, frankly, a lot of X7's failings came from the inability to merge 2D and 3D properly.  Had it been exclusively one or the other, it'd have been better, and I think the 3D was further along than the 2D.  The only 2D segment worth a damn in the entire game is Stonekong's stage, and even that's pretty straightforward.

ZX got only a small taste of Metroid-vania and the public seemed to lose interest quickly.  Fighting games, albeit in a very simplistic sense and a long time ago, were done in the arcades (re-released on Anniversary Collection).

As far as MegaMan needing to do something different goes, Legends 3 in and of itself is something that not only hasn't been done in a decade, but is unusually inaccessible for a classic game.  In this age of re-releases and downloadables the Legends series is still nowhere to be found.  That's what pisses me off about the Prototype; the sheer lack of competition on the 3DS would have been an outstanding opportunity to expand the audience.  It is, or rather would have been, for all intents and purposes a new experience to much of the gaming populace.

But seeings how that ship has sailed, I think getting Rockman Online into the english-speaking world would be a good place to start.  How many of us HAVEN'T been dreaming of multiplayer Mega Man since MM3 or so?  A great deal of the fanbase was more excited about some Korean-developed game than they were about Universe, that says something, and if Capcom had any sense, they'd pay attention beyond just what to cancel.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #259 on: September 24, 2011, 11:37:50 AM
I suppose their baby-step of X7 was enough to discourage them.  Although, frankly, a lot of X7's failings came from the inability to merge 2D and 3D properly.  Had it been exclusively one or the other, it'd have been better, and I think the 3D was further along than the 2D.  The only 2D segment worth a damn in the entire game is Stonekong's stage, and even that's pretty straightforward.

ZX got only a small taste of Metroid-vania and the public seemed to lose interest quickly.  Fighting games, albeit in a very simplistic sense and a long time ago, were done in the arcades (re-released on Anniversary Collection).

As far as MegaMan needing to do something different goes, Legends 3 in and of itself is something that not only hasn't been done in a decade, but is unusually inaccessible for a classic game.  In this age of re-releases and downloadables the Legends series is still nowhere to be found.  That's what pisses me off about the Prototype; the sheer lack of competition on the 3DS would have been an outstanding opportunity to expand the audience.  It is, or rather would have been, for all intents and purposes a new experience to much of the gaming populace.

But seeings how that ship has sailed, I think getting Rockman Online into the english-speaking world would be a good place to start.  How many of us HAVEN'T been dreaming of multiplayer Mega Man since MM3 or so?  A great deal of the fanbase was more excited about some Korean-developed game than they were about Universe, that says something, and if Capcom had any sense, they'd pay attention beyond just what to cancel.
True. They haven't been risking anything to begin with, so they don't change a single thing, even though it does have potential.

...are they even letting Megaman Online come true? Or have they kinda forgotten about it?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #260 on: September 24, 2011, 04:03:08 PM
It's been pretty quiet with the occasional update.  Yeah, I know, that's not the most confidence-inspiring news given Mega Man's track record this year.  

I don't believe they'll cancel it as they did the others, seeings how it's a joint project with Neowiz.  However, last I heard, they're still iffy with whether or not they even want to release it in Japan.  The game could still very well turn out Korean-exclusive.  Despite a fair amount of publicity (well, how many other Korean games do we hear this much about?), there are no plans to release it elsewhere.

It'll be a damn shame if that doesn't change, 'cuz I'm sure fans of Command Mission will be watching the game like a hawk.  What are the odds of Cinnamon, Ferham, Scarface, etc. seeing the light of day again?

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #261 on: September 24, 2011, 06:31:39 PM
Not to mention it mixes Classic cast with X series cast.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #262 on: October 16, 2011, 12:31:49 AM

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #263 on: October 16, 2011, 02:21:03 AM
Thanks, Batty.  The videos are a little tough to find admist all the flooding on Facebook.
(and it's awesome seeing my 'bot front and center on that wall 8) )

To add to the pile, check here at 1:11:21 for Dashe's interview with some guy hired two months prior:
http://ja.twitch.tv/capcomunity/b/297470584
Was supposed to be Seth, but a scheduling conflict reared its ugly head.

I'll be at the 'con myself tomorrow, so I ought to get to meet the gang then.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #264 on: October 16, 2011, 04:06:33 PM
So when are they gonna march up to the Capcom booth and put on that little show?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #265 on: October 17, 2011, 03:19:24 AM
Was about 3:15 today.  We all marched, chanted, sang, did the Data-dance, and got a photo op with Seth Killian.

Somebody posted a YouTube video of the march, but they recorded ONLY the chanting, which kinda makes us look like a bunch of lunatics (well, even more of a bunch of lunatics than we already are).  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBgH2sRL8kE

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #266 on: October 17, 2011, 09:29:28 AM
Was about 3:15 today.  We all marched, chanted, sang, did the Data-dance, and got a photo op with Seth Killian.

Somebody posted a YouTube video of the march, but they recorded ONLY the chanting, which kinda makes us look like a bunch of lunatics (well, even more of a bunch of lunatics than we already are).  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBgH2sRL8kE
I just hope that rattled more cages than it seems. Capcom could use a damn wake-up call.

Offline prower42

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #267 on: October 20, 2011, 06:13:02 AM
I think we'd better take a look at this

mfw hearing this

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #268 on: October 20, 2011, 04:59:58 PM

SUCH WORDS

NEVER GIVE UP THE FIGHT

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #269 on: October 21, 2011, 12:54:07 AM
FPS, RTS, TPS, a GOOD 3D platformer, racing, a more big arcade action focused 2D platformer ala Metal Slug or Gunstar, a brawler, a Metroidvania, a WRPG, a story-led choice game, a fighting game, any game with stealth mechanics, a schmup, a roguelike, an adventure game, a minigame collection, a second character spinoff, a sandbox mission-led game...

Tons of styles to explore, and within each style, a ton of gameplay styles to explore. But honestly, I was more talking about keeping the regular style people are familiarized with, while changing up the gameplay, the way Prime and Other M were different.

FPS/Story-led Choice game = Super Adventure Rockman, Racer = Battle and Chase, Fighting = Mahvel vs Capcom, Schmup = Rush Marine/MMV Rush Adapter Segment.. Minigame Collection = WarioWare (Technically? There's a ton of Mega Man-Themed minigames so I guess capcom could release a pack..)

The list goes on. Half of those has been done already. ;)

Well, they've tried to go with the Super Sentai plot in ZX/Star Force.. although Star Force was more Super Sentai-ish plot wise, since they had everything that made a Super Sentai plot obvious and possible for an anime adaption.

I'd say we take the grimdark route.. but look what happened to Bomberman, but it's well worth the risk since gamers are growing out of the cute and cuddly phase.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #270 on: October 21, 2011, 01:15:17 AM
gamers are growing out of the cute and cuddly phase.
Which is why many of them like My Little Pony.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #271 on: October 21, 2011, 01:23:58 AM
And why Legends fans cling to Servbots as the most iconic and widespread series reference.

Funny, IGN just posted an article about how not to reboot MegaMan.  Unfortunately, Jonathan Drake is severely misinformed about his X6/X7 development stories, but I applaud the effort all the same.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #272 on: October 21, 2011, 01:32:15 AM
FPS/Story-led Choice game = Super Adventure Rockman, Racer = Battle and Chase, Fighting = Mahvel vs Capcom, Schmup = Rush Marine/MMV Rush Adapter Segment.. Minigame Collection = WarioWare (Technically? There's a ton of Mega Man-Themed minigames so I guess capcom could release a pack..)

The list goes on. Half of those has been done already. ;)

Well, they've tried to go with the Super Sentai plot in ZX/Star Force.. although Star Force was more Super Sentai-ish plot wise, since they had everything that made a Super Sentai plot obvious and possible for an anime adaption.

I'd say we take the grimdark route.. but look what happened to Bomberman, but it's well worth the risk since gamers are growing out of the cute and cuddly phase.
Many of those weren't even good. =P

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #273 on: October 21, 2011, 01:56:49 AM
You ask me, Battle and Chase needs a reboot. That [parasitic bomb] was fun. But real short. A few more player characters wouldn't go amiss either.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #274 on: October 21, 2011, 02:01:37 AM
Which is why many of them like My Little Pony.

Well, there's an explanation for EVERYTHING, and MLP is just one of those things that appeased to nearly everyone, as they had a gun pointed to their heads by the fans.

Many of those weren't even good. =P

Yeah, but it gives capcom some time to look back on those and go the Sonic route, as many of those were a slightly risky chance at trying something new.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.