Megaman X : Eclipse

Eclipse · 39964

Offline Eclipse

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
on: July 13, 2011, 05:25:59 AM

Megaman X: Eclipse is a response to the decline in gaming, particularly to the decline in the Megaman X series. It is meant to be the 4th installment for the SNES that many of us wanted after Megaman X3. Its going to have 8 bosses, its going to be 16-bit. Its going to be everything you would expect from a 4th Megaman X game on the SNES. We plan for Megaman X: Eclipse to be released for Windows, Android and the OUYA. In the future, Ubuntu and HTML5 are possibilities.

We spend a lot of time testing our game to make sure it stays true to the SNES series. We need every smallest detail to be perfect so that we keep it from feeling like some glitchy fan game. Of course we're doing our best to be as innovative as we can so that we can bring a whole new experience to Megaman X.

For now, only 1 of our 8 bosses has been revealed. His name is Scorch Raptor, and if you click the spoiler below you can see our art design of him. Credit goes to justicefrog of deviantart.com

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Video of his boss battle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuLou0Bo86s

You can download the demo from our blog, http://mmxeclipse.blogspot.com , as well as read up on our recent updates. Be sure to follow us!

If you guys have any enemies, tilsets, minibosses or anything that you are willing to contribue, please email us at megamanprojecteclipse@gmail.com and we will get in touch with you! Our biggest need is a spriter for our bosses.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:47:59 PM by Eclipse »

Offline carlos-182

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 05:52:18 AM
This is looking good. I'd tell you all the bugs I found, but I suppouse you know what to fix.

Please, don't let the project die, it is going in a very good way  8)

Congratulations and keep this project alive  :D

Offline Eclipse

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 06:45:12 AM
This is looking good. I'd tell you all the bugs I found, but I suppouse you know what to fix.

Thanks! Yeah, that video is actually quite outdated now, even though its been just over a week, I believe, since it was made. We've been working on it constantly.

Please, don't let the project die, it is going in a very good way  8)

Congratulations and keep this project alive  :D

Don't worry, that's one of the things I wanted to stress. This game will be completed. It wasn't really going anywhere the first 4 or 5 months this year because of schooling and whatnot, but we have made alot of progress since picking it back up and I'm very excited to get this game released.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 10:15:09 PM
So far looks like you're off to a great start. I don't see why you won't be including X and Zero at once though. It looked cool there in your video, and I always liked that about the newer titles.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 06:46:09 AM
Is this being done with Game Maker, MMF2, or C++? It looks really good, despite the color errors of the x-buster charging. :)

Offline Eclipse

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 08:46:17 PM
So far looks like you're off to a great start. I don't see why you won't be including X and Zero at once though. It looked cool there in your video, and I always liked that about the newer titles.

We're still figuring out story-wise how X and Zero will be played, but both will be playable.

Is this being done with Game Maker, MMF2, or C++? It looks really good, despite the color errors of the x-buster charging. :)

We're making this one with Game Maker. And yeah, the colour charging looks terrible because of how Game Maker is, but we'll make it look better soon.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Sorry for no "big" updates recently, been working on the little things the last little while. (Saving, pause screen, some gameplay tweaks, etc.)
And for those wondering, we'll be using save files, no password system.

Posted on: July 19, 2011, 07:12:31
Added a link to the blog! All updates will be on there from now on.

Offline Eclipse

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 03:56:38 AM
The past little while we've been experimenting with the gameplay, fixing bugs, adding new features, etc. and we never really had the time to get tilesets and make new levels and enemies. We finally got around to getting a tileset and came up with a few new enemies, the pictures are attached to this post since they were rather huge if I used the "IMG" tag.

The project is not dead, and never was. We're still looking for any pixel artists that wish to help. I'm doing all the enemies mostly by myself at the moment.

Oh, and we're more likely to update our blog than we are here.

http://mmxeclipse.blogspot.com/

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 06:50:23 AM
Green legs? What's up with those? Return X armor? I love me some Return X, bro!

(Sorry, am I just mindlessly speculating?)

Offline Eclipse

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 10:53:28 AM
Green legs? What's up with those? Return X armor? I love me some Return X, bro!

(Sorry, am I just mindlessly speculating?)

It's just a placeholder for the armor. We have armor designs, but they will not be revealed until the game is out.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 12:01:55 PM
It's just a placeholder for the armor. We have armor designs, but they will not be revealed until the game is out.
Yeah, I figured it'd be something like that :P Still, the little bit I've seen looks interesting, but that first video with the square enemy by the door? Total X6 level design, man.

Offline Eclipse

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 07:34:49 PM
Yeah, I figured it'd be something like that :P Still, the little bit I've seen looks interesting, but that first video with the square enemy by the door? Total X6 level design, man.

It was just an idea we had so we quickly made an enemy and tried it out. We definitely aren't aiming for an X6 level design at all but I can see what you mean. The enemy will probably look different later, and it'll do more than just circle around. Thanks for the feedback though!

Posted on: August 26, 2011, 20:23:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuLSTJ3WMLs

A video of a demo level will be up soon.

Posted on: November 30, 2011, 05:15:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEh2Xm0ysNg

New song

Offline SonicZH

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 08:29:39 PM
We're still figuring out story-wise how X and Zero will be played, but both will be playable.

We're making this one with Game Maker. And yeah, the colour charging looks terrible because of how Game Maker is, but we'll make it look better soon.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Sorry for no "big" updates recently, been working on the little things the last little while. (Saving, pause screen, some gameplay tweaks, etc.)
And for those wondering, we'll be using save files, no password system.

Posted on: July 19, 2011, 07:12:31
Added a link to the blog! All updates will be on there from now on.

What about game maker color?
i am making a simpler game tho, classic megaman.

I separate each color into a different sprite, and recolor it as white so that the color blend can be any color, and draw each of them in the draw_sprite_ex
, then I change each of the color in the step function or draw function.
image_blend will only work for one particular sprite assign to the object, so I have to use draw_sprite_ext in the draw event instead.
etc
draw_sprite_ext(spr_scroll,0,x,y,1,1,0,$FFFFFF,1)
draw_sprite_ext(spr_scroll,1,x,y,1,1,0,lb,1)
draw_sprite_ext(spr_scroll,2,x,y,1,1,0,db,1)

colors that do not change can be combine into one layer.
u will probably need about 5 layer if there is 4 changing colors.

It is easy to seperate the sheet into sheet for each color using character maker 1999.

Offline Eclipse

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 06:55:07 AM
What about game maker color?
i am making a simpler game tho, classic megaman.

I separate each color into a different sprite, and recolor it as white so that the color blend can be any color, and draw each of them in the draw_sprite_ex
, then I change each of the color in the step function or draw function.
image_blend will only work for one particular sprite assign to the object, so I have to use draw_sprite_ext in the draw event instead.
etc
draw_sprite_ext(spr_scroll,0,x,y,1,1,0,$FFFFFF,1)
draw_sprite_ext(spr_scroll,1,x,y,1,1,0,lb,1)
draw_sprite_ext(spr_scroll,2,x,y,1,1,0,db,1)

colors that do not change can be combine into one layer.
u will probably need about 5 layer if there is 4 changing colors.

It is easy to seperate the sheet into sheet for each color using character maker 1999.

That method works for classic megaman because it is 8 bit. It's a bit different when dealing with MMX sprites, we would not get the right colors.

However I posted that a long time go and have already developed a colouring system for it.

Offline SonicZH

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 05:18:06 PM
why will the method not work? is there some performace issue? Each color is link to a variable that can be change freely. and i have tried using multiple changing colors. using some boolean logic it is also possible to obtain certain random color if desire. like a range of blue.
I am not saything this way is better but i am quite certain it will work.
blue=make_color_rgb(100,100,200+count);
etc...
Anyway care to share how u implement ure, changing of colors?  I like to study other people methods as well.
I only know about different sprite_sheet and layers.

Not familiar with set_blend_mode option... but it probably work too.
Anyway programming aside, i like the big moving square robot idea.
Great work and keep it up =)

Offline Eclipse

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 05:16:30 PM
why will the method not work? is there some performace issue? Each color is link to a variable that can be change freely. and i have tried using multiple changing colors. using some boolean logic it is also possible to obtain certain random color if desire. like a range of blue.
I am not saything this way is better but i am quite certain it will work.
blue=make_color_rgb(100,100,200+count);
etc...
Anyway care to share how u implement ure, changing of colors?  I like to study other people methods as well.
I only know about different sprite_sheet and layers.

Not familiar with set_blend_mode option... but it probably work too.
Anyway programming aside, i like the big moving square robot idea.
Great work and keep it up =)

It would not create the correct shading of blue that X has. Plus it's to much of a hassle compared to my method, but I will not be releasing any game code.

Offline SonicZH

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 05:46:26 PM
was just giving some input because someone commented on the color u implemented having errors.
And was trying to suggest some other ways in case it could do some help.
You seems to be blaming the IDE. Hence i suggested some way to solve it, as gamemaker definitely can do it.
I am not interested ure code at all. was just trying to help and interested why do u think its not possible in the first place.
Sorry if I am rude in anyway. I will avoid talking about code if you do not like it. :)

Offline Eclipse

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 07:24:08 PM
We have decided to show one of the eight Mavericks that will be in Mega Man X Eclipse. Scorch Raptor.

Credit goes to our maverick designer justicefrog on deviantArt, he did a tremendous job.

We are looking for the right person (or people) to sprite the 8 Mavericks of Mega Man X Eclipse. If you feel that you may be the right person, show us an example of your work by spriting one frame of Scorch Raptor. Email it to us at megamanprojecteclipse@gmail.com. We will be in touch with anyone expresses interest.

Offline Eclipse

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 05:39:20 AM
We have quite a few major updates that we're very excited to share.

Check out the updates in detail here. To summarize, we're now able to publish this game on Windows, Mac, Android, HTML5 and hopefully the OUYA. Our soundtrack of 47 songs is being finalized as well.

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 12:00:14 AM
That si amazing!

Offline Eclipse

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 06:22:07 AM
That si amazing!

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback.

Just wanted to post some details about the playable demo:

• You will be able to play Scorch Raptor's level
  • You will be able to dash, air-dash and up-dash even though you won't have the leg upgrade. (Doesn't mean that's what the leg upgrade is)
  • We hope to have Scorch Raptor animated for a boss battle, but we still need someone to animate him.
  • There is no set release date for the demo but we're very close to being able to release it. The main thing we're holding out on is animations for Scorch Raptor.
  • The demo will only be available for Windows

There are some other details being worked out, but those are the main ones I wanted to announce.

Offline Eclipse

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 07:45:14 PM
We've decided to release the stance sprites for our boss Scorch Raptor. We need him to be animated so if anyone has interest, email us! (I've posted our email a few times, just scroll up)

There are 2 slightly different variations that we ended up with. The main difference being his left arm and his tail is positioned a bit differently. It seems like everyone we've showed it to has mostly chosen the right one but we'd like to see everyone's opinions.

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 07:27:46 PM
The one on the left.

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 05:54:24 AM
I like how the right one has a bit more visible details.

Offline Eclipse

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: December 24, 2012, 07:59:04 AM
The right one has been in favour of mostly everybody. Someone offered to touch it up some more so we are waiting for him to show us the result.

Since we aren't quite finished with the demo yet, I decided to re-create Neon Tiger's level with our engine to show it's realism compared to MMX3. The video will be uploaded hopefully by the week of the New Year, given how my work schedule plans out. I've just found some minor bugs that I want to work out first. This hasn't slowed down overall progress, it was something I decided to do while the others worked on Scorch Raptor's level.

A few plans have changed with the demo as well. We originally decided to just release it for Windows, however it'd be really nice to get feedback on how it runs on separate Android OS's as well. So we're going to work on releasing the Windows version as planned and then we will work on optimizing and porting it to Android afterwards. It'll probably also have the Neon Tiger remake in it as well.

Offline Eclipse

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 07:30:25 AM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o1eUenlzuU[/youtube]

The video of the Neon Tiger level has been uploaded!

As stated before; this is to show you guys our engine and its realism to the SNES series. We took the map from VG maps, put in some enemies and that's how it ended up. Unfortunately, YouTube cut the video from 60 FPS to 30 FPS so it's only half as smooth as it should be. Scorch Raptor's level is next on the list for videos, and then the demo! Happy New Years!