Bill S. 978 may shut down video game playthoughs, streaming, reviews and karaoke

Sakura Leic · 6561

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Basicially what is going on is that a bill was proposed to the US congress to stop and take down any videos that violates copy right laws.  This bill was made for movie the movie industry so that people can't watch full movies for free on You Tube and such.  However the way the bill is worded affects all media they think is copy righted and will take down any of it unless they have promission from the owner.  

Now I think that's messed up because first of all while I agree that movies are deffinitly harmed by this, video games aren't.  Second if this does happen a good portion of internet videos will be deleted and inorder to be able to post playthoughs of games they would have to send a message to the person who owns it to do the video and chances are they won't notice.  Third is that the video game companies only own the program that makes the game not the experience of playing the game and sharing that experience with the pubilc.  Fourth this means the end of video reviews from other

If this bill gets passed Luiz Prower's, Cloud 8745's, chuggaaconroy's, BradRy2's, The Angry Video Game Nerd's, Irategamer's, ProtonJonSA's, AzureBlade49, ClementJ642's, maybe even Vixy's videos and many more will be deleted.

This also effects karaoke videos which is, and as much as I hate to say it, how Justin Beiber got famous.  Not you may not care about that but it'll definitly affect people who posts karaoke videos and possibly people who made video game karaoke videos like BrentalFloss and PB since they did have video game material in their video's.

Now the good news is that it just got proposed on June 20th meaning that it's a long way from being debated.  Chances are it may not get passed at all or someone will actually read the wording of it.  But that doesn't mean we should ignore this and brush it off.

If you need more details and, if you're in the US a way for your voices to be heard, watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hytigOSjJxc&feature=feedf

And just when me and a friend of mine started doing our first playthough.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
The bill would do more than just take the video down. If you have 10 offences within a 180 day period, you would get jail time.

Here is another point of reference, an opinion piece written by a lawyer who specializes in the entertainment industries.

The thing is the way the bill is worded is incredibly vague. It would need to be more specific to pass. And even so, this probably won't affect people who stream video game footage all that much. Stuff like that would fall under fair use. Hell, some game developers like Capcom actually support streams. Shutting down fighting game tournaments and the like would actually be a detriment to Capcom. Not to mention it would be very bizarro if you get jailed for putting videos of 3rd Strike Online Edition on Youtube using the in-game feature that uploads those videos directly.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Yeah forgot to mention a lot of things but I'm just reporting it.  I honestly don't expect to be approve the way it's worded either, especially with the gate of mass fan boy hate the guy in the video just opened up.  Still I am going to send my two cents anyway just to feel important.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
And it would also affect Vloger's accounts, such as Clement, Orkimedes, Wayforward as well (since they happen to use official sources for their videos). I still think that the government saw green in their eyes when they thought of this up.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
I don't know much about political enforcement and whatnot. But this sounds, like Sato said, incredibly vague. The guy in the video stated everything perfectly, and i can't see half of the people who upload copyrighted footage regularly obey this law. Phenomenally huge companies like Facebook and Twitter would get hit pretty badly. I mean, they ENCOURAGE video sharing with friends and the world. That's why they became so popular in the first place, taking that away would be stripping them at the foundation considerably. And i could only imagine them fighting back - and winning.

This whole thing sounds like a method of scaring people, and they're doing a terrible job. 

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Now that bill's just silly. Why is America so silly. Let's hope there are unsilly people there that realise how silly this is =w=a

Even from a political standpoint it's silly. How do you even enforce something like that?

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Five years for streaming too many videos with copyrighted stuff in it. BULL-[tornado fang]ing-[parasitic bomb].

I dunno how they'll enforce this, either, but still. I know that at least one of my sisters has a YouTube account--I'd hate for her to get thrown in the slammer for five years because ten or more of her videos had copyrighted stuff in it, no matter how briefly.

Jesus, when will the old media just take some time to learn about new media instead of condemning everyone who uses it?

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Five years for streaming too many videos with copyrighted stuff in it. BULL-[tornado fang]ing-[parasitic bomb].

I dunno how they'll enforce this, either, but still. I know that at least one of my sisters has a YouTube account--I'd hate for her to get thrown in the slammer for five years because ten or more of her videos had copyrighted stuff in it, no matter how briefly.

Jesus, when will the old media just take some time to learn about new media instead of condemning everyone who uses it?
Exactly.

The bill would do more than just take the video down. If you have 10 offences within a 180 day period, you would get jail time.
*paranoid* -_-

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Well, I told Dad about it; he said that it'll get shut down quickly. Still...

Offline IQ-0

• Ice Queen Zero
  • Resistance Member
  • Friendship Advisory - Magical Content
    • View Profile
    • 1CC Gaming
I know game companies are being a [sonic slicer] about uploading newer games on YT but classic games are safest bet.

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
I can see where they're coming from. But YouTube's current policy pretty much takes down whatever's unacceptable, so I don't see what the big deal is. Full movies I can understand. But reviews are a completely different thing. Seriously, they'd be so greedy that you can't even see it? Either way, it's publicity for them.

But jail time is absolute bullshit. Sure, take the video down, but why punish kids? Like it's been said, it's very vague, so who knows what we COULD post...

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
The bill kinda seems redundant anyway, it's just that the police can't or don't try to adequately enforce it probably because of the overwhelming amount of material. And if they can't enforce what they have now, what makes them think that they'll be able to enforce this?

The 10 strikes thing seems silly. That means I can upload 9 copyrighted videos without consequences. That's about enough for a whole movie if I were to upload it to youtube.

This bill is in the early stages, so don't expect it to be passed like this. Though what we need to do is to send someone who represents the video game community so that our voice can be heard and be fairly represented.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Now that bill's just silly. Why is America so silly. Let's hope there are unsilly people there that realise how silly this is =w=a

Even from a political standpoint it's silly. How do you even enforce something like that?
Pretty much this. Just replace "silly" with "[tornado fang]ing RETARDED". In Caps.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
oh crap, I am [tornado fang]ed.  :o

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios

replace silly with foolish and you've got a post worthy of Franziska von Karma.

Also, this bill is just [expletive deleted].

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
I hope this bill does not pass if it we are [sonic slicer]ed.

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib7-vSrp6y8[/youtube]

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
won't it only apply on commercial stuff
so youtube vids etc are fine

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight