The Official RPM E3 2011 Discussion Thread (June 6 - 11, 2011) - It's Game Time.

Jericho · 37547

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Wii U looks great, I can definitely see myself upgrading if given the chance even if the new control is a bit gimped.

*eyebrow raise*

"Gimped" how, exactly?

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
...haha
Just a bit confronting on first sight.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Rolling Fighter and Dwarf

Because, [tornado fang] YEAH FIGHTERS AND DWARVES

Oh yeah there is a Dwarf too..

in that case, [tornado fang] the Magician, Dwarf all the damn way, and i'm naming him GIMLI!!! I hope this game has a color edit  [eyebrow]

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
You know what I think I'm going to do? I'm gonna do more one off posts like the info post for Dragon's Crown and call them "Jelly's Highlights". Tat way we can get some exposure for games that have gone under the radar at E3. On another note, anyone think it's awesome that both Rayman Origins and a Kamitani game both got announced/showcased somewhat prominently at E3 of all places? :)

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
You know what I think I'm going to do? I'm gonna do more one off posts like the info post for Dragon's Crown and call them "Jelly's Highlights". Tat way we can get some exposure for games that have gone under the radar at E3. On another note, anyone think it's awesome that both Rayman Origins and a Kamitani game both got announced/showcased somewhat prominently at E3 of all places? :)

I too think it's very awesome.  Those two games sure as hell show that 2D still can kick ass<3

Which reminds me, what happened to Dust An Elysian Tail, haven't heard anything about that yet o.O

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
*whew* I was almost worried there, thanks Vixy :)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I think i'll main the warrior lady <3.

I would definitely main the warrior lady if you know what I mean.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
"And now as the first use of my newly found magical powers; I'll grant myself the grossly oversized tits I've always wanted!"

It reminds me so much of Shadows Over Mystara, and that makes me exponentially happy. Day one purchase, no doubt.

That Dust game also looks really sweet.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
It reminds me so much of Shadows Over Mystara, and that makes me exponentially happy. Day one purchase, no doubt.

Everyone who openly claims this must be prepared to play with me.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Love me sum Shadow Over Mystara~ So much fun with 4 players together! <3

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Man I wished my brother wasn't playing frickin' Combat Arms all day yesterday and kick me off the computer when I was watching the Wii U today. I missed a lot from Nintendo thanks to him..  X(

Also can't wait for Dragon Crown's, though it sucks I won't be able to play it... ;O; LOL the Sorceress' walk just demands respect.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWDXdHIyKts&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sgol8qcfg0&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-R-c1D7lNg&feature=related[/youtube]

Posted on: June 09, 2011, 02:51:32
Also: Nintendo roundtable starting in 8 MINUTES

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Nintendo's Developer Roundhouse part two takes place now - Ubisof is present!

Liveblogs below:

IGN
Kotaku

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Apparently Ubi was the ONLY third party dev in that round table.  Disappointing.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Info on the Aliens: Colonial Marines game for the Wii U

And I quote...

The device will, at times, become the game's motion tracker, a device in the fiction of the Alien universe that can track the location of enemies and friendlies by their motion. Pitchford explained that players may be asked to sweep their controller around them, looking for approaching enemies, which will show up as blips on the display of the controller.

As the hugest fans of Aliens, I cannot stress to you how [tornado fang]ing awesome this idea is and why I think the Wii U controller is going to be awesome.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BurfwwqrrgA&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
From what I've read about Wii U on GameSpot yesterday (right here) has already gotten me stoked for it's release. Can't wait for a new Super Smash Bros. and Skyward Sword finally in 1080p HD! >w< But I gotta wonder, I can bring stuff from my Wii into Wii U (user accounts, games I bought / downloaded, Miis, etc) and will it be backwards compatible with Wii and GameCube games?

Any news on the Devil May Cry Collection?

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
I think you should keep the original Wii (or the original Gamecube), so you can play Gamecube games on it.
The WiiU is able to play original Wii games fine tho, as it was mentioned in the specs. ^^;

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2011/06/20-minutes-of-direct-feed-footage-of-skyward-sword/
"Upgrade detected"
Hmm, I don't think we've seen that kind of personality in a Zelda game before? I certainly wasn't expecting it there. I'm really glad I preordered this back when I had money.
Dashing using up stamina feels really weird though.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone. He feels it could be nice if they can make the "personal" portable space and the stadium-like "public" console space mesh together.

Sounds nifty actually!

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Some hints from the article.

Making a portable version had its appeal for him, as they'd be able to do a number of new things. At the same time, there would be limits, as they'd be handicapped in some areas when it comes to offering the usual enjoyment areas of Smash Bros.

Specifically, Sakurai feels that a portable system makes the game a more "individual" experience in that, compared to a console, it's easier to make players attached to the data that they've built up and collected. The fact that you're carrying the hardware with you makes for a more personal experience.

The difficulty here is that the current Smash Bros. games haven't relied on rewards, collecting money or raising your character's level. There's no element of gaining experience to make your character stronger, Iwata noted.

What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone. He feels it could be nice if they can make the "personal" portable space and the stadium-like "public" console space mesh together.

Iwata summed it the basic idea nicely: players would spend time on the 3DS version, building up their character and collecting stuff, then show off their skills on the Wii U version.

Sakurai noted that as the Wii U is an HD system, this version could offer 60 frames per second visuals, high quality graphics, dynamic effects, and smooth character movements.

While it is important to have both versions of the game be enjoyable on their own, Sakurai feels that connectivity between the two versions will make the experience even more enjoyable.

Closing off the little section offering vague hints about the new Smash Bros. games, Sakurai said that his aim with the 3DS version is to offer players a slightly different experience from conventional Smash Bros. games. He believes that there is merit in having skilled and unskilled players play together, so one emphasis will be on elements of players helping one-another.

For the programmers, the difficulty is in making two games at once. Sakurai wants to place a focus on smoothly making the basic systems. They will first begin by porting the basic gameplay systems of Smash Bros. X to 3DS and Wii U.

Smash Bros. DX = Melee
Smash Bros. X = Brawl

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
I find it interesting to read that Sakurai personally was responsible for balancing characters in Brawl.  Did he not let himself revisit older characters after doing the newer ones?  Because seriously, look at Bowser, look at any other heavyweight, and...what were you thinking?!

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Sound the alarm,

Capcom character possible in the next SSB

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/117/1174797p1.html

During IGN's interview with Masahiro Sakurai, the legendary designer behind the Super Smash Bros. titles and the inventor of Kirby, we asked him about the possibility of a Capcom character crossing over into the next Super Smash Bros., which is coming to both 3DS and Wii U. Here's what he had to say:

"I can't say that it's entirely out of the realm of possibility that some Capcom character could appear in the next Smash Bros. The big problem, though, comes from the idea of trying to get characters from a completely different universe to fit with the style that has been dictated by Nintendo's characters in a fighting game.

"In fact, I actually think it's a miracle that we got Smash Bros. and all the Nintendo characters to work together in the first place. Especially when you bring Pokemon into the mix and a lot of the complications that are caused by that being an almost completely different entity on its own, it's really something. So this is something that obviously will come up more as we get started on the new Smash Bros. development, but keeping those things in mind I think is important."

Development on the title hasn't begun yet, but it's encouraging that Mr. Sakurai sees the biggest hurdle as one of ensuring a good fit, as opposed to other potential complications. Given that both Solid Snake and Sonic appeared in Brawl, a classic Capcom character or two could definitely work in the new title.

We also asked Mr. Sakurai whether, looking back at Brawl and Melee, there were any things that he wasn't able to include - but really wanted to - that he could potentially put into the new title? He told is that: "There were actually a lot of things, but perhaps that's something to be talked about when we get closer to discussing that game in more detail."

Guess we'll have to wait and see. We'll have our full interview with Mr. Sakurai up next week, so stay tuned.