The Official RPM E3 2011 Discussion Thread (June 6 - 11, 2011) - It's Game Time.

Jericho · 37722

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Well I do needs me a Golden Zelda Wiimote.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
That would be insanely epic...  Despite owning 4 remotes already I'd STILL have to get that.  XD

You know, I hate to say this, but I found Nintendo's show a bit of a letdown.  New hardware unveil is nice and all, but when all was said and done, I'm largely now excited about the exact same games I was already excited for (Mario, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, Star Fox, Zelda).  An impressive list, sure, but I've known about all of them since GDC or earlier.  I was hoping for something new beyond just Luigi's Mansion 2.

They have no definitive "flagship" Wii U title.  The Zelda video would have been it, EASILY, but it's a "tech demo", and we all remember what happend with the Gamecube in that department.  Other than that it was just Mii games.  And NSMBMii was basically just rubbing salt in the wound of anyone who had other Mario characters they wished had made the roster (Wario and Peach being the popular ones).

And why was Ubisoft the only 3rd party at their 3rd Party Roundtable?  Ubisoft was already in on Wii and 3DS launches in full force, anyone with a brain stem could have told us they'd be there for Wii U.  And they're among the top 3 counter-points that come to mind when people speak of 3rd party woes with the Wii (the other two being Capcom and Sega).  If Nintendo wants to show that they're being more 3rd-party-friendly, that wasn't the way to do it.

I am thankful for the fact that the Wii wasn't completely forgotten.  Mario Party 9 and Fortune Street give us something other than Skyward Sword (looking awesome, as ever) to look forward to.  The latter is pretty awesome since it's a first for english release.  But then that raises questions as to other Wii/DS games that are still not seeing translation.

To be fair, there's plenty from Nintendo's camp to look forward to.  It's just that we knew about most of it already.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Why is everybody getting so bent out of shape about "NINTENDO DIDN'T ANNOUNCE ANY GAMES FOR THE NEW SYSTEM!"?  It's not coming out until after next year's E3.

That said, yes, it was a very weak showing from Nintendo overall.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
In all fairness it's hard to top 2010's E3.  Nintendo blew everyone's socks off back then with a plethora of new games.  Problem is, we're still waiting for most of 'em.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
They still beat the pants off of Sony and Microsoft this year imo.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
What Nintendo showed was fine. It's just that the overall presentation wasn't very good.

....cept for the opening orchestra. That was lovely.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Agreed on all counts.  I don't think they "lost" the show to either Sony or MS by any means (MS was weak and as I understand it the same "we already knew this" complaint applies to Sony).  They just lacked that definitive "holy crap" moment (again, Zelda U would be it if it wasn't a tech demo).

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
[youtube]y9uYCU8jFiU[/youtube]
Delicious HD Zelda. Definitely watch in 720p full-screen.

Offline DjKlzonez

• B-Class Hunter
  • Once a year
    • View Profile
Should have posted this a while back.
Aw crap.

Steam       Youtube

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Already been posted.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline DjKlzonez

• B-Class Hunter
  • Once a year
    • View Profile
Damn, next time i'll check the previous pages.

Steam       Youtube

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Has Treasure announced anything on Guardian Heroes and Radiant Silvergun?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
I got a holy crap from Smash Bros. and Kirby.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Don't know why people feel it might cost $250. Think about it, a new powerful next-gen console with the same pricing as their handheld? I don't think so.

$300 - $350 seems much more believable.

[youtube]y9uYCU8jFiU[/youtube]
Delicious HD Zelda. Definitely watch in 720p full-screen.

Simply amazing. Shame it's only a tech demo though. :(

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Don't know why people feel it might cost $250. Think about it, a new powerful next-gen console with the same pricing as their handheld? I don't think so.

$300 - $350 seems much more believable.
Seems like it.  On the other hand, Nintendo is under some heavy pressure right now in terms of pricing.  Their new console is seen as competing with much older systems, and with the low-end Vita matching the 3DS, they're liable to find themselves in a tight spot.

I'm still inclined to agree with you, though.  I think $300 is a fair estimate.

I got a holy crap from Smash Bros. and Kirby.
I'd agree if Smash Bros. was shown, but it wasn't, it was merely announced.  We got some early concepts/goals from an interview, but those can change radically over the course of development, which has not started.  It's hard to get that excited when nothing's really been set in stone yet.  We all knew that Smash on Nintendo's next console was inevitable, and a handheld version's been in constant demand ever since Brawl.

Now if they were to tell me that Mewtwo was in it, that'd be a different story. 8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Agreed on all counts.  I don't think they "lost" the show to either Sony or MS by any means (MS was weak and as I understand it the same "we already knew this" complaint applies to Sony).  They just lacked that definitive "holy crap" moment (again, Zelda U would be it if it wasn't a tech demo).

I don't tend to subscribe to the competitive aspect of the conferences against each other. I usually judge on what was shown to their respective fan base as well as how their product was presented. In that sense, IMO Sony & Nintendo both did a really good job, and Microsoft's was terrible. The presentation of those Kinect games were abysmal, long, and painful to watch, and I'm not even a hardcore MSoft fan.

Both Sony & Nintendo showed what they needed to show.

Seems like it.  On the other hand, Nintendo is under some heavy pressure right now in terms of pricing.  Their new console is seen as competing with much older systems, and with the low-end Vita matching the 3DS, they're liable to find themselves in a tight spot.

I'm still inclined to agree with you, though.  I think $300 is a fair estimate.

I disagree. I think Nintendo is fine in terms of pricing, both with the Wii U and the 3DS. All people are waiting for to buy the 3DS are really good games (I was waiting for a Zelda bundle, but alas), and Nintendo showed a good portion of the gems that are coming. Plus, Sony's believably much worse in terms of finances than Nintendo right now, to the point where they had no choice but to make it $250 just to compete. But if Sony doesn't deliver good games in the first year, then I just don't know. I want the PSVita to do well.

I'd agree if Smash Bros. was shown, but it wasn't, it was merely announced.  We got some early concepts/goals from an interview, but those can change radically over the course of development, which has not started.  It's hard to get that excited when nothing's really been set in stone yet.  We all knew that Smash on Nintendo's next console was inevitable, and a handheld version's been in constant demand ever since Brawl.

Now if they were to tell me that Mewtwo was in it, that'd be a different story. 8D

Agreed on both counts. However, that's no reason not to get the Bitchslap thread up and running again!  8D

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
I posted some pretty damn good movesets in the Bitchslap thread, and I'm quite proud of them.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
By the time the Wii U comes out, the 3DS will have seen at least one price drop. $250 for a Wii U would be more reasonable compared to a <$200 3DS. But yeah, I'd guess it will go for $300. And the PS4 and Xbox720 will be $400 at the very least.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Simply amazing. Shame it's only a tech demo though. :(

Why shame?

We are bound to get at least one Zelda title for WiiU.
And looking back at Nintendo's techdemo history it will look FANTASTIC.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Thank you Nintendo, now I have a good reason to throw out my sucky SDTV and opt for an LCD HDTV. :3 If my parents can afford one...