It's official... No MMLegends for PSN straight from VP's mouth.

IQ-0 · 5469

Offline IQ-0

• Ice Queen Zero
  • Resistance Member
  • Friendship Advisory - Magical Content
    • View Profile
    • 1CC Gaming
“For example, there are games in our catalogue that have logos or other things that would be identifiable as other people’s I.P. without permission, and either due to historical litigation or fear of potential future litigation, sometimes we aren’t allowed to use those.

“Other things, like for example you had voicework in the game, but the voice actor… Within the scope of the contract that was there, either the contract is lapsed in terms of its term or the contract never defined that digital distribution was an allowable use for their work etcetera. So voice acting, scores, soundtracks, middleware contracts all have to have the same stuff there.

“In some cases, the company that we did things with is gone, but that doesn’t mean that somebody doesn’t own the rights and couldn’t come after us, so in the name of having to protect ourselves, sometimes these things are not going to be able to be put up again, and in the case of the emulations, we can’t make changes to the content, so there’s no way to just sort of remove it and just have it be up there.

“The net result is, in the case of Legends, unfortunately Legends isn’t going to be able to be up there; it failed an I.P. sweep and a contract check.”

More info here
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/05/20/mega-man-legends-will-not-be-showing-up-on-the-playstation-network/

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Must be an American side only thing, since the PSP saw both games re-released in Japan.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
I'd imagine so, otherwise I'm sure they would've brought those over here to the US. I wonder what failed the IP and Contract checks?

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
They did list voice acting specifically, so perhaps in the vast amount of it in there something was amiss.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
They mentioned the year 2000 being the turning point in terms of Capcom's development contracts and when they started to think that 2-3 years wasn't the end of a video game's life, so maybe we can still see Legends 2 or Misadventures, even if the first one is a no-go.

But I'll tell you, every time the topic of denying a Legends rerelease comes up, we seem to get more questions than answers.  Going by the whole "talent/services pre-2000 weren't secured" logic, how did X4 and MM8 clear the gate?  The "digital distribution" bit could be presented as an explanation, but then that doesn't explain why we didn't see the PSP Legends ports.

I guess Capcom doesn't trust that we'll understand, or keep from raging/harassing over, whatever Legends-specific issues they're having.  Still, the unknown is a killer.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Archer

I wasn't expecting it in the first place anyway

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Totally fine.

I have a hard copy of the game so I'm all good.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Well I thought I read that Japan is blocking PSN period.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Totally fine.

I have a hard copy of the game so I'm all good.
As do I.  But it'd be reassuring to see the games given another crack at the masses, if nothing else to help build anticipation for the new title.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Megaman-RA

• Revived, Reborn, Reawakened
  • Cyberelf
  • Revived, Reborn, Reawakened
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 06:09:02 AM
Hearing about it really hurt me bad. :( I hate it when that happened.

Offline Sigma Zero X

• Cool Mirage Diver
  • Robot Master
  • "Here We Go!"
    • View Profile
    • Sigma Zero X's Mega Man X Videos
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 05:03:50 AM
I did some research about the IP issue.  I already mentioned this in another thread recently, but I just realized what the VP probably meant.

First, let's view Legends 1:

Watch this video how to get the X Buster (skip to 7:31 for my point), watch short process for getting the comic book, and watch the short dialogue from Jim before giving the comic book:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG3DKvFfSSI[/youtube]

Does something Jim said look familiar to some of you?  It probably does.  For those who don't, here is a link to read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Man

I don't know if anyone here knows about Action Man, but it is an IP name trademarked by a different company.

Let's move on to Legends 2:

The quiz from the Pokte Village in Manda Island with its music and real life trivia is filled with IP names by other companies or famous people.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hlDsS8gz64[/youtube]

As much as I hate to admit it, rereleasing Megaman Legends 1 and Megaman Legends 2 is not an option unless the following occurs:

1.  Alter the comic book and what Jim says about it is altered.  A YouTube comment in the Legends 1 video brought up that the comic book in the American version is actually an adult magazine in the Japanese version.  Changing the already changed won't be so bad after all.

2.  Alter the questions in the quiz to where the Mayor or her students ask about Megaman game history, characters, story, or gameplay.

Otherwise, a remake of both games might be ideal for the best.  There is a high chance of that not happpening considering Capcom's history.  

"Well.  This is just delightful!" - Marino, from Mega Man X Command Mission

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 05:40:36 PM
I hope that isn't the biggest reason they won't re-release it over here. Surely not!

Offline Masterge77

• Robot Floatzel
  • Cyberelf
  • Buizel and Floatzel, the best Water Pokemon
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART account
Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 10:05:16 PM
This is the same kind of thing that is causing Nintendo to not release EarthBound/Mother 2 on the Virtual Console, to me, it seems like Legends is the Capcom equivalent of the Mother series, constantly getting abused and neglected by the company, but appreciated and supported heavily by the fans.