Mega Man Legends 3 Prototype version officially announced!

Turian · 65527

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #125 on: May 16, 2011, 01:25:15 PM
Trust me, it could have been all cubes. Also, I'm guessing the wall running that you can do has something to do with it. They probably didn't fully code the feature to handle more than flat surfaces for the moment.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #126 on: May 16, 2011, 07:49:04 PM
That's a good point, the walls could be flat because of Barret. Though in 3D game programming the graphical and physical are not one in the same, Despite what the graphics show, Barret wouldn't be impacted by them physically. It would just look odd as he ran through a tarp on his way up.

That said, I'm starting to wonder if they will bother fixing that at all because of this... Suddenly I feel uneasy about the whole thing.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #127 on: May 16, 2011, 08:19:00 PM
You mean you didnt feel uneasy to begin with?
I was uneasy the moment Capcom said it's greenlight depended on how well they considered the prototype sold.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #128 on: May 16, 2011, 10:46:36 PM
I meant, uneasy about the quality of the final product.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #129 on: May 17, 2011, 01:47:28 AM
Who are you kidding?  You've BEEN uneasy about the quality of the final product ever since the concept of the Devroom was first announced.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #130 on: May 17, 2011, 02:11:16 AM
It wasn't so bad after since I saw how the dev team was reserving the right to change things enough to fit the style. And this, well, is just boxes with textures. I sure as hell hope they go back and redo the entire town period before official release.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #131 on: May 17, 2011, 02:50:06 AM
The point stands.  Every time a new snippit trickles through the line, somebody finds a reason to second-guess it.

The game is not only unfinished but is pre-greenlight; they have publically stated that the Prototype includes access to unfinished areas, and we can see that the dungeons show what they're capable of for the time being.  That should be enough for a $2 game.  ESPECIALLY in light of the fact that we've seen storyboard drawings being used as cutscene placeholders; it should be no small stretch of logic whatsoever that not every featured polygon is necessarily in its final state.  Hell, Tron's in it, and according to the Devroom's character introductions, her design hasn't even been approved yet.

None of this is anything unusual, either.  DASH2 Episode 1 had some rough spots as well; off the top of my head Barrel's model was unchanged from L1.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #132 on: May 17, 2011, 03:28:45 AM
True, true. I guess I'm just paranoid Capcom won't fix the obvious crappy buildings. I mean, they DID give us X7 after all. It's not unlike them to just half ass things at times. Legends 2 probably had a bigger budget than Legends 3 will ever see though. Gah, the worries!

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #133 on: May 17, 2011, 04:41:32 AM
That's a good point, the walls could be flat because of Barret. Though in 3D game programming the graphical and physical are not one in the same, Despite what the graphics show, Barret wouldn't be impacted by them physically. It would just look odd as he ran through a tarp on his way up.

That said, I'm starting to wonder if they will bother fixing that at all because of this... Suddenly I feel uneasy about the whole thing.
That's precisely what I meant. Everything looking like a box is an infinitely better solution than Barret clipping through everything as he makes his way around. Which do you think would cause a larger outroar?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #134 on: May 17, 2011, 04:53:14 AM
True, true. I guess I'm just paranoid Capcom won't fix the obvious crappy buildings. I mean, they DID give us X7 after all. It's not unlike them to just half ass things at times. Legends 2 probably had a bigger budget than Legends 3 will ever see though. Gah, the worries!
I honestly see the problem with X7 to be not visuals or any of the models or environments, but a bad engine and overly linear stage layout. AKA bad level design. Mega Man games usually look pretty good. I can only think of the models in X8 and MHX as an odd exception. (character design aside.) And maybe Command missions lack of expressions. But environments pretty much always look great. Im certain Legends 3 will be no exception for it's final release.

Especially a game that's been 10 years in the cue and which they are pouring so much creativity, love and fan imput on.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #135 on: May 17, 2011, 11:57:47 PM
That's precisely what I meant. Everything looking like a box is an infinitely better solution than Barret clipping through everything as he makes his way around. Which do you think would cause a larger outroar?
The simple solution would be to limit which walls Barrett can climb.  Which they have to do anyway for their landscaping in the dungeons.  They'll get there.

I honestly see the problem with X7 to be not visuals or any of the models or environments, but a bad engine and overly linear stage layout. AKA bad level design.
Zero's disconnected hair aside, Flame has a good point.  There wasn't a whole lot wrong with X7 visually; hell the character models are considerably better than X8's.  But the only 2D segment worth a damn in the entire game is Stonekong's level.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #136 on: May 18, 2011, 12:08:27 AM
I honestly see the problem with X7 to be not visuals or any of the models or environments, but a bad engine and overly linear stage layout. AKA bad level design. Mega Man games usually look pretty good.

There are many many MANY problems with X7. The visuals & models were not one of them.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #137 on: May 18, 2011, 01:20:03 AM
"I HAVE NO CHOICE!"

Stop whining X. It doesn't suit you.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #138 on: May 18, 2011, 11:08:31 AM
X7 does have a sweet soundtrack though.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #139 on: May 18, 2011, 01:19:03 PM
What MegaMan game doesnt?

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #140 on: May 18, 2011, 01:56:29 PM
Megaman II Gameboy

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #141 on: May 18, 2011, 06:20:05 PM
Megaman II Gameboy

I thought Airman's stage tune from MMIIGB was actually catchy.  The others, however...

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #142 on: May 18, 2011, 08:28:43 PM
I thought Airman's stage tune from MMIIGB was actually catchy.  The others, however...

The real problem with the MMII GB soundtrack is really just the high pitch aspect of it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHiWIdtttqY[/youtube]

I mean, I think this version sounds much better than the original.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #143 on: May 18, 2011, 09:39:39 PM
1 song doesn't make a soundtrack..also it had to be tampered with to be 'listenable'

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #144 on: May 19, 2011, 12:54:45 AM
Okay, you CANNOT YouTube link MMII Air Man without linking Yuu's remix.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsqAm9WOIAs[/youtube]

The real problem with the MMII GB soundtrack is really just the high pitch aspect of it.
True.  Xtreme1 has the same problem, which you can easily observe by comparing the victory jingle to Xtreme2's (same music, different instruments).

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #145 on: May 19, 2011, 01:08:11 AM
Xtreme 1 had a lot of that whiney violin type thing.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #146 on: May 19, 2011, 03:51:26 AM
1 song doesn't make a soundtrack..also it had to be tampered with to be 'listenable'

No no, my point is that a lot of the tracks had good melodies. It was just the high-pitch ness which made in intolerable. I just didn't feel like linking all the remixes.

Okay, you CANNOT YouTube link MMII Air Man without linking Yuu's remix.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsqAm9WOIAs[/youtube]

True.  Xtreme1 has the same problem, which you can easily observe by comparing the victory jingle to Xtreme2's (same music, different instruments).

Heh, I was just using the other link to illustrate a point about what a better 8-bit MMIIGB soundtrack would sound like! And yeah, with Xtreme 1 as well.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #148 on: May 20, 2011, 08:11:41 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that was a smart move?

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #149 on: May 20, 2011, 08:13:33 PM
The longer they hold off and refine, the better to be honest. It'll give the 3DS a bigger install base, and increase the quality all at the same time. It also drives forward into the cost factor, making a green light more and more a viable option, like Inafune did with Dead Rising. Sooner or later it was a "we sank enough cash into it, might as well just go all the way."

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout