Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 07:46:01 AM
You did?
If you did, then I forgot, I guess.

Sorry.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Cypher

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • NewUniversal
Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 08:58:09 PM
It's not like the thread was 20 pages back, and from 1999. The thread is still relevant, and a discussion can indeed continue. On the subject itself, as long as Cap-big bucks-com sees financial gain in the franchise, I don't see them ending it. There's always a side story that can be explored, or a spin off here and there.

And as long as they are solid, fun titles, keep it going, I say.

One Hundred Legs

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 09:10:11 PM
I'd really like a few new Mega Man games.

Not necessarily Classic. Any MM will do. Really.

Offline Cypher

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • NewUniversal
Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 09:16:50 PM
I'd really like a few new Mega Man games.

Not necessarily Classic. Any MM will do. Really.

Indeed. I've always been partial to the X series, and something showing the gap between X and Zero franchises (the Elf Wars being the sexiest place my mind took me).

One Hundred Legs

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 09:21:41 PM
I don't think they'll END it, as in the canon story not allowing for more sequels, but they'll surely leave it to sleep like they did Breath of Fire if they don't think continuing is worth the cost.

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #30 on: July 18, 2011, 07:54:19 AM
From what I've gathered, they do plan to end it sometime. Knowing Capcom, I'm not even going to attempt a timeframe. But I don't blame them, I for one don't want the Classic series to end soon. I think when the time comes, we'll all know.

I know it's about money, but Capcom has enough profitable franchises at the moment, so I don't think continuing the Mega Man series is strictly about money. I mean, there's very few video game series' that have survived this long, and I believe in putting it to rest the right way.

Offline RockBluesMan

• "I have fury!"
  • Cyberelf
  • Just Keeping it real, people.
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 03:17:54 AM
Well, so far, with Universe and Legends 3 canceled, I'm losing hope and think Mega Man 11 will end it.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 04:04:31 AM
And end their cash cow? Not likely. 11 will be another Rock vs 8 bosses vs Wily happy ending.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline MrBaryl

• A new Shooting Star.
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Everything for you"
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 05:56:00 AM
Yeah, the same addicting thing.

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 06:19:27 AM
Maybe it's just me, but releasing another nes styled Megaman game after the MML3 would [acid burst] me off. That only shows that Megaman can only survive on low budget crap made just to please the fans. We don't need that now, we deserve something fresh for once.

Offline RockBluesMan

• "I have fury!"
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 04:17:34 PM
Well, it would be nice to deserve something fresh for once, but to be fairly honest, Capcom only relies on past ideas. Mega Man 9 and 10, that's obvious, the only thing fairly fresh was Shooting Star, and that itself was based off of Battle Network. Seriously, how would you update Mega Man?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: July 22, 2011, 04:22:16 PM
Many many ways. For one, catching up to EVERYONE ELSE and introducing the series to 3D. not 2.5 D, 3D. X7 was a first try, so we can forgive it, but they should have improved upon it, not taken 2 steps back.

Oh how I dream for a 3D platformer megaman with actually good and challenging level design, nice graphics, (cell shading can help there though. It gives a nice look) and good gameplay.

Im not saying abandon 2D, not at all. But, well, some 3D console entries would be appreciated. legends was the ONLY time they ever did it and somehow got it right. (which then baffles me more as to how they could botch X7)

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: July 22, 2011, 04:26:14 PM
For one they could

-Give the license to Inafune
-Let him reboot the series
-Let him tell the story he originally planned

Gameplaywise I think it's fine. But I feel many people would like to see how the story was originally meant to be.

And even though I dislike the thought that Zero kills Real X, I'm still interested in seeing how it would turn out.

This reboot idea would, of course, refer to the Mega Man series as a whole, and not just the classic series.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: July 22, 2011, 04:29:35 PM
That would be awesome.

though that was Inticreates that was planning the Zero vs real X. that wasnt Inafune. Inti wrote that, and inti changed it.

Imagine this now: Inafune/Comcept + Inticreates

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: July 22, 2011, 04:51:23 PM
Imagine this now: Inafune/Comcept + Inticreates

Still needs the license.

But generally I can see the two doing nice things together.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: July 22, 2011, 05:41:27 PM
Especially since Inti is made of Ex Capcom employees, (whom worked on what, Classic and X series?)

Would be like EX-CAPCOM EMPLOYEES UNITE!

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: July 22, 2011, 05:52:15 PM
Alternatively, they can join Platinum Games. Same deal.

I like Platinum Games.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: July 22, 2011, 06:23:23 PM
The possibilities are endless really.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: July 22, 2011, 06:40:53 PM
Except Capcom won't see these possibilities.

They're sitting on fantastic franchises that could be revitalized and turned into gold if given into the hands of someone who cares.
Instead they sit on them and let them rot.

What's wrong with outsourcing games to good developers? I bet Inti creates (for example) could make Gargoyle's Quest games just as great as the originals.
And Capcom would make no loss since someone else does the job.
What prevents them? Pride?

Offline RockBluesMan

• "I have fury!"
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: July 23, 2011, 12:39:29 AM
Well, I don't know. All I can say is, God help us for something great. I don't really think a reboot will help too much though, considering "9" was technically the rebirth of Classic Mega Man, and "Universe" as a sort of remake of some sort.

Let's just hope someone will help Capcom. Ever since Inafking left, cancellations have gallored. God, what's next, Miyamoto leaving Ninten... crap, I won't jinx it.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: July 23, 2011, 12:41:13 AM
Bad upper staff I wager.

The bigwigs Inafune was sick of.

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #46 on: July 23, 2011, 12:54:18 AM
After the cancellation of Legends 3, I'm beginning to wonder about the main series. Mega Man Universe was just a fun sidegame, and I wasn't really impacted when that was canned, but Legends 3 was going to be a truly modern sequel, and that being cancelled made me think Capcom just doesn't really have a place for Mega Man at this time.

To me, Mega Man 9 and 10 were nice placeholders until we could get a modern game (establishing the simplistic routes that made the originals such a hit), but it seems now that they only wanted to create a short novelty of making 8-bit games, and then abandoning the series again.

To cap it off, Capcom has come a long way in the 3D realm. They can turn out hit after hit, but it's almost like they respect the original Mega Man too much to bring him into 3D. Which I can somewhat understand, I don't know how you'd retain all the fast-paced action, but for now, we're left to wonder...

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: July 23, 2011, 07:46:17 AM
Honestly, 9 and 10 are fantastic for what they were, and they could continue to make 11 that way and I'd be happy.

BUT, to ignore the other franchises like this is kinda sad. I'd love to see a high def X9.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: July 23, 2011, 08:36:17 AM
I don't care if X9 (or MM11) is hi- or lo-def, as long as it's fun. Wouldn't have my hopes up for the story making sense in the grand scheme of things (God knows MMX canon is already borked), though.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: July 23, 2011, 09:12:53 AM
Honestly, 9 and 10 are fantastic for what they were, and they could continue to make 11 that way and I'd be happy.
9 could have done without reusing 2's music.

though I enjoyed Its castle a bit more than 10's I think. (though the space elevator in 10 was a wtf moment of epic proportions)

but it's almost like they respect the original Mega Man too much to bring him into 3D.
Letting the series stagnate in 2D without even TRYING to modernize to catch up to it's same era competitors, isnt exactly my idea of respect.

The franchise NEEDS to catch up to it's competitors from the same era. Im not saying MAKE 3D HI RES MM CLASSIC (would be nice though) but for example, the X series, could REALLY stand to finally enter and stay in the 3D realm for a while. And I dont mean X7 3D, I mean change up the formula. more bosses. More abilities, more stages, platforming with more depth made for a 3D platformer, longer levels, the works. overhaul the formula while retaining the same basic concept of Rock/X fighting bosses and getting their weapons upon defeat across a stage for each.

Sort of like prime revamped the metroid series while still sticking to the same idea from the 2D games.

I think Capcom just sucks at reimagining and revamping gameplay formula. And I cant blame them, all they do is release fighting games or rehash an old Street fighter for the billionth time. I would lose my touch too.

(and this is where other developers come in!)