The End Has Come...

Rin · 13823

Aresian

Reply #50 on: December 16, 2010, 04:18:44 AM
It's not just TV shows. It's Manga, it's stuff on store shelves. It's stuff that can be obtained by staying up simply a little later without mommy and daddy knowing. My point is... both parties (corporations, the suppliers and the parents) need to do something more effective.

Something more than twiddling their thumbs about it. This seems like a more fun way to do things. Well, not fun for all of us... but definitely interesting! At least potentially interesting.

At least they are trying, is my point. Which ironically, is supposed to be the true American way with these kinds of things. Trying to do something to bring about a better tomorrow. But liberality has taken a turn for the "retarded" and pretty much means "do whatever you want" these days. I dunno... I just think we should think a bit more. Think less inwardly and more outwardly. I guess this is the part where I turn into an eagle or something.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: December 16, 2010, 05:32:49 AM
If they're afraid to try and work WITH the laws set in place to help people... nothing good happens.

Problem is--though I hate to sound like a broken record--the laws are so vague and restrictive that not much can be done with them. It's just like the Hays Code and Comics Code Authority--artificial restrictions placed on a medium under which not much can be tried or done.

And I can hardly blame publishers for their concerns and fears since the punishment for not complying is having their reputations ruined by the government. (Or something like that)

(And maybe I'm just a liberal, but I don't like this "protect the children" bullshit. For all your restrictions and demands and whatnot, how are you going to prevent kids from being exposed to awful things in real life? Lock 'em up? Yeah, good luck with that...)

EDIT: I remembered something--for example, you can't try anything new in BL because BL is, AFAIK, not allowed. At all. (I know you don't care for BL, but just bear with me)

Aresian

Reply #52 on: December 16, 2010, 05:48:05 AM
Kids get exposed to enough "Real Life" bullshit when they go to school. I should know. I've been through more crap in my life in one year of Middle School than I have the entirety of my whole eff'n life. Public school is more or less structured this way.

People don't need TV and Manga to expose themselves to "lol IRL" when the crappy social structure of the inevitable education system will do everything you're pandering for. *shrugs* Just saying.

As for the law being vague... I know. It is vague. And again, I understand the ph33r. I stated that. ph33r is a part of being human after all. But... I still say we have to make attempts to do something. Vague or not, the political government isn't always out to get us.

And well honestly... growing up in a generally liberal home (not counting when I was raised by my grandmother) I realize the failures that come into play with that. Not counting "lol raep" I had sex for the first time at a very early age, when I really honestly... didn't have any business doing so. I don't regret my course in life, but I do regret that I didn't have both the parental guidance I needed from my mother as well as the proper protection from idiocy on both TV and in school.

LUCKILY I wasn't a [tornado fang]ing moron however, otherwise I'd be like most teenagers in my area. A baby's daddy, on drugs and gang banging.

Oh no, I had a sense of self, thankfully.

Offline Girla PurpleHeart

• Sailor Eris
  • B-Class Hunter
  • ~Midna's True Guardian And Duchess of Twilight~
    • View Profile
    • PurpleHeart Palace
Reply #53 on: December 16, 2010, 05:53:58 AM
Quote from: n from Dan Kanemitsu's Paper Trail Blog
A game journalist named Kiyoshi Shin wrote on his Twitter account that the reason video games weren’t included in this bill was thanks to the CERO rating system (here: http://twitter.com/kiyoshi_shin/status/13463440047734784).

Looks like the video games are safe since they got an CERO rating system.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: December 16, 2010, 05:57:54 AM
Looks like the video games are safe since they got an CERO rating system.

*looks at quote from Dan* Way to be redundant.

Though it begs the question of why a ratings system for anime and manga wasn't proposed or set up instead. Oh wait, Ishihara's a [tornado fang]ing idiot.

Aresian

Reply #55 on: December 16, 2010, 06:07:38 AM
The rating system is another example of an attempt to do something. It's a start, though I don't think it fixes things either to be honest. You know as well as I do that people bypass rating systems regularly. I played my first GTA when I was definitely too young to do so, for example.

Can't say if he knows that or not. Old Codger might not be capable of creative thought beyond his own world. Most people aren't. Liberal or Conservative really... Extremists on either side are close minded.

I'm kinda tickled really. The mod in me tells me I'm supposed to stop this and the other topic, but the member in me realizes this is some of the most interesting discussion I've had on RPM in a while.

I'll let someone else spoil the party if it REALLY needs to be.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: December 16, 2010, 06:17:09 AM
The rating system is another example of an attempt to do something. It's a start, though I don't think it fixes things either to be honest.

Neither does this law. Dad told me that everything it bans will just go underground, and thus nothing is fixed while new problems arise. Which is why you don't pass laws like this.

Man...I don't think I have the energy to keep arguing about this. This is just depressing as all hell.

Aresian

Reply #57 on: December 16, 2010, 06:19:39 AM
Which means we go in a circle. Because I'll counter with "So we do nothing because of the possibility nothing will change?" and all that.

It is depressing. But some people will keep trying. I'm proud of those people, because they still fight for what they believe in. Albeit many are misguided individuals, I still have respect for those who fight for what they believe in. Once you give up, you've already lost.

• Sailor Eris
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • PurpleHeart Palace
Reply #58 on: December 16, 2010, 06:37:20 AM
And besides, this law might be temporary since the next Tokyo Government election doesn't start until 2013, which hopefully Ishihara won't be in the vote. Or I rather want him to resigned from being Government.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: December 16, 2010, 10:08:47 PM
Don't be so sure the next party wont keep it. We've already seen that it passed with no problem whatsoever, so it wouldn't surprise me if it sticks around for a long time. At least until some new manga or anime rises that challenges the vagueness of the law with material that would make actually DEFINING the law necessary. Unless some party uses "repealing the law" as a campaign point. (though it could be unlikely, its doable, under the "Its the parents job not the government's!" Idea... Which many politicians use. Hell, just look over the pond to the good ol' nameless US of A. Half the conservatives ALWAYS use some variation of that argument- usually "Its the citizens right, not the government!" )

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

• Sailor Eris
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • PurpleHeart Palace
Reply #60 on: December 16, 2010, 10:29:11 PM
Well, I do see a point what you mean. I mean if the law doesn't take effect until mid-July of next year, the Anime series would still have fan service; hentai or not. But I'm worried that companies may filed for bankruptcy because of this new law, but I had a feeling that they might make big sales in the future since that law has nothing to do with it. And besides, let the citizens to buy manga because people don't give a [parasitic bomb] about this *cough*dumb*cough* law.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: December 16, 2010, 11:04:33 PM
If they file for bankruptcy just because of this, then its their own faults for relying majorly on fanservice.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: December 16, 2010, 11:07:56 PM
If they file for bankruptcy just because of this, then its their own faults for relying majorly on fanservice.

And I'm sure there's lots of non-fanservicey shows whose studios will go under, too.

And I doubt that not using fanservice will be enough to appease the higher-ups whose job it'll be to ruin the reputations of broadcasters and whatnot for not complying.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #63 on: December 16, 2010, 11:23:43 PM
I'm pretty sure that Myazaki still holds license because he is technically with Disney when it comes to producing his work stateside, and he lives elsewhere in Jap-Land.

So yeah, only oh-so few anime will be unnaffected. But look what goes under the radar while this [parasitic bomb]'s happenin': Live Reality Nipps! Whooops~

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: December 18, 2010, 09:26:19 AM
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2010-12-17/tokyo-governor/restricted-works-are-for-those-with-warped-dna
In the press conference, a representative from the Weekly Asahi news magazine noted that Ishihara said in his 1972 book True Sex Education that "no book of any sort could instigate children toward crime or delinquency and that even if all undesirable books were wiped off the planet, crime would still take place." When pressed about this, Ishihara responded that he was wrong at the time and the world is different now. He then characterized people who read and write the restricted material as "sad people with warped DNA."

Ishihara's writings before he became a politician have inspired a dōjinshi (self-published manga and other works) event next year. Opponents of Bill 156 contend that the content in Ishihara's novels, if made into anime or manga, would be restricted by the amendment.

This guy really just has no excuse. He's trying desperately (and failing hard,) to justify his law. Though by his OWN definition then, he himself has warped DNA. (also, notice how the comment could be particularly taken as anti-gay, considering his view of them.)

Welp, mr Shintaro Ishihara I think Buzz Lightyear said it best...
"You are a sad, strange little man. And you have my pity."

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #65 on: December 18, 2010, 09:23:15 PM
I guess he would drop out of office before the new law kicked in and insanity would have gotten the better of him, considering how it sounded he was lost in the Island of Misfit Toys, after all.

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: December 20, 2010, 11:29:26 PM
I was going to post that link; guess I'm too slow. XD;

Oh, and it gets worse. Remember those books that Ishihara wrote? Well, Sankaku Complex has some details on them...

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/12/17/ishihara-otaku-have-corrupt-dna/

I am hardly surprised to learn that not only does he hate women (and I was considering visiting Japan someday, too...), but his novels inspired copycat crimes. And that he doesn't really give a [parasitic bomb] about any of that.

This isn't related to Douchehara, but still terrible. Oh, and any opposition to the ban will be ignored.

I thought Japan was a democracy?..

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: December 21, 2010, 12:01:05 AM
Even Democracies have their moments... Depends on who's large and in charge, as well as money and influence(s).

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #68 on: December 21, 2010, 12:26:09 AM
Even Democracies have their moments... Depends on who's large and in charge, as well as money and influence(s).

Don't forget the occasional sane politician, although those can be quite rare these days. I have no idea what's going over there, but I guess japan's politics are either going nuts because of the ban and the "outrage", or something else. one of the two.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: December 21, 2010, 12:49:14 AM
This Ishihara guy is starting to sound a lot like Hitler. I know that this comparison is not rational, but it's the only one I have. :\

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: December 21, 2010, 03:49:21 AM
Nah, I say its more like a Communist style thing. Control of the Media.

Aresian

Reply #71 on: December 21, 2010, 09:10:26 AM
I was going to post that link; guess I'm too slow. XD;

Oh, and it gets worse. Remember those books that Ishihara wrote? Well, Sankaku Complex has some details on them...

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/12/17/ishihara-otaku-have-corrupt-dna/

I am hardly surprised to learn that not only does he hate women (and I was considering visiting Japan someday, too...), but his novels inspired copycat crimes. And that he doesn't really give a [parasitic bomb] about any of that.

This isn't related to Douchehara, but still terrible. Oh, and any opposition to the ban will be ignored.

I thought Japan was a democracy?..

Well. First... not all democracies work the same and... Democracy is overrated anyway. America has proven this alone. Two, Looks like he is just as "genetically defective" as the perverts he hates. Or idiotic. Not sure which. Oh well, everyone has flaws I guess.

It doesn't really refute his opinion... As a self-proclaimed lolicon, I can say the majority of my "kind" are demented. I've seen a lot of pr0n and what have you in my day... a lot of it is more eff'd up than what I read in the article above. I mean really? Before anyone has anything to say... a lot of them probably have done or at least have fapped to or schlicked to or thought of worse things in their time. So... let us not be on our high horse, it's kinda silly to act like our [parasitic bomb] doesn't stink. Then we're just as bad as he is. And that's not cool.

Also... hah? Seriously? JAPAN has ALWAYS been sexist to the extreme towards women since days of old. There has never been a time in Japan where it was not sexist. The sexism isn't going anywhere. If you're going to Japan, get over that quickly or simply don't go. This one guy better not have ruined that for you because it was like that before him and long after him it will be like that. Come now, this is the motherland of Hentai. You can buy used panties in vending machines, SCHOOLGIRLS are made to wear sailor uniforms that are... quite revealing at times and buruma is a FETISH there. Not to mention for a long time you had to SQUAT to pee and it was common place for people to hide cameras in your toilets.

Let us not disregard the groping either. It's Japan. Come on.

And on my final note... reading this on Sankaku Complex and considering what he's said and the content of the site and the people that go there and the fact that well... let us face it, everyone here in this discussion is obviously gathering material from there... >_> He's not unreasonable. Sankaku Complex isn't exactly the most kosher part of society.

EXTRA MODE: So, I read some other stuff you've all been poking at.

“I received a lot of objections to the revision, but what caught my eye was this next one.

A lady calling herself the granddaughter of former Prime Minister Takeshita wrote to me, and she writes manga so she didn’t want any increased censorship.

The last thing I said to her was ‘Would you show these extreme manga to your grandpa [the former PM]? Write your manga using your own judgement as to whether your grandpa would be angry.’”

Yeah. So... Ya know? He points something very interesting out. In that, would you do something you're ashamed of? Should you? That's always something I've found interesting. There isn't a thing I do that I wouldn't be openly willing to state. Well, except maybe illegal downloads for obvious reasons, but nothing to my parents for instance. Not that I have parents that are that influential. I do better than they do.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: December 21, 2010, 02:14:36 PM
Yeah. So... Ya know? He points something very interesting out. In that, would you do something you're ashamed of? Should you?

It wasn't that she was ashamed of what she was doing for a living--it's that the politician who said that was humiliating her for opposing the ban.

Not cool.

Aresian

Reply #73 on: December 21, 2010, 02:38:35 PM
Because she was "doing something worthy of being humiliated" in her own eyes? or in the eyes of the ones who love her? Haha, not that I ever said he should've done that anywhere in there.

No, that wasn't my point at all. I was addressing something different altogether.

That was a dick move from any direction. Publicly, he had no right to display a private discussion, unless it had something to do with a political argument, and under that clause, protection of others privacy is a must.

Just the natural order of things.

But again, that is beside my point.

• Sailor Eris
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • PurpleHeart Palace
Reply #74 on: December 24, 2010, 05:08:28 AM
I had a feeling that Ishihara is going to resign.