Keiji Inafune leaves Capcom (UPDATE)

kosmos · 63723

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #200 on: November 06, 2010, 10:40:49 PM
Makato Yabe developed the initial scenario of the ZERO-series, just as he did for ZX. Reviewing this premise, Inafune wanted Zero to be put in as the main lead. From there, Inticreates staff put together the story, with Capcom staff reviewing it and giving pointers.

Given the above, I think Inafune's involvement with the story of the X-series pretty much amounts to thinking up Zero's scenario. Inafune simply imagined "his" story for Zero, and let others work it into the games.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #201 on: November 06, 2010, 10:44:28 PM
Yeah. Serues will be just fine. In that case, its Zero's story then we should worry about. As in, the chance of ever getting closure to the [parasitic bomb] X4-6 set up with Wily being behind the scenes. (And which X7 only so much as mentioned in a pre boss fight banter)

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #202 on: November 06, 2010, 10:47:39 PM
Considering Inafune's desire to end the X-series at the fifth game, and Capcom's unwillingness to even touch that subject, I'd say that in regards to Wily in the X-series, we're screwed with or without Inafune. And that is something we should have realized as soon as X7 was released.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #203 on: November 06, 2010, 10:59:39 PM
Well if anything, nwe can see X6's Isoc erasure as Wily moving on. I mean, he DID seem pretty content with Zero beating Gate and his Zero powered creations, (Gate himself included,) regardless of him still being buddy buddy with X. I suppose we can assume he has decided to be content with Zero simply proving himself "better" than X in his eyes.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #204 on: November 06, 2010, 11:44:39 PM
You never tried beating High-Max early, did you?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #205 on: November 06, 2010, 11:45:30 PM
Hmm. there IS that, true... It slipped my mind. :B

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #206 on: November 07, 2010, 03:46:57 PM
I'm specifically referring to how wide it is at front view. Compare:
http://mmxz.zophar.net/megamanxz/megamanxtreme2/mmx2salessheet.jpg
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/jacfalcon/Anime%20Stuff/megamanxdayofsigma-ZeroX.jpg
I'm not sure what you thought I meant by "X3 character change screen", but I am perfectly aware of what you were talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTFacGXgvvM - see 0:35  Compact enough for you?

You're referencing an issue fairly specific to Sensei's style, which was not a constant throughout the entire series.  Width of the helmet may be interpreted independently of the height of the horns.

To be honest, thats the only thing I would worry about with Inafuneless capcom. He wont be there to push for sequels.
I'm fairly certain that Inafune wouldn't push one millimeter towards Command Mission 2, barring heavy pressure from the fans.  He was approached to make the original and outright refused based solely on genre.  I also believe he's already stated that if he were to make another X game it would not be X9.

The only hing he was good for is doing Zero's story. Though even then, he would just be vague about it when asked for detailes, such as say, if Serges and Isoc are Wily, (when we all know they are in some way, him.) and although X4 and 5 were cool what with Zero being the focus, he was the ONLY focus. Its nice if you focus on Zero, but X should get some of that too.
X4's focus on Zero was probably a combination of Inafune being at the head and the fact that it was Zero's introduction as a fully playable character.  I don't object to that, but X could certainly stand more cutscene time; Zero's are about Zero and X's are about the enemy.

X5 and X6 are kind of logical extensions thereof, when you think about what they were trying to do.  Inafune telling the team to "wrap up" the story in X5 means they need to tackle Wily (which they sucked at) and X vs. Zero (which they also sucked at if you're playing as X).  While X6 didn't exactly offer closure either, it did at least show us Wily's involvement and him stepping out, we just don't know why.  I'd say that at least is a step further than X5 leaving us with this ominous warning that someone other than Sigma hates X, and just dropping it there as Inafune intended.

I also think that, even though Zero is the source of conflict in X6, the game does give us an excellent insight into X's character.  There aren't many other games that show us what gets under his skin, how far his determination goes, and how even when he is convinced that force is necessary, he is still not without compassion.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #207 on: November 07, 2010, 04:18:20 PM
I'm not sure what you thought I meant by "X3 character change screen", but I am perfectly aware of what you were talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTFacGXgvvM - see 0:35  Compact enough for you?

You're referencing an issue fairly specific to Sensei's style, which was not a constant throughout the entire series.  Width of the helmet may be interpreted independently of the height of the horns.

I distinctly recall Flame complaining that Zero's back horns should be visible at front views and not obscured by the others; creating a menacing appearence. But if it is solely Sensei's style, then we're acknowledging that the back horns originally were not visible at front view and that therefore, they technically shouldn't be. Much like Zero's shoulder pads shouldn't be as squared as Sensei depicts them.

When arguing solely on the height of the back horns, we're talking about what is a very minor difference only visible at side and 3/th view, that is not even constant within Maverick Hunter X. Whereas the production art raises it to match the model, Day of Sigma follows the lowered horns:

http://jef.mobile9.com:8080/download/wmpreview/158/1258237823-1.jpg
http://img.youtube.com/vi/G_zYsxFOwIM/0.jpg

So why this difference between model/production art and Day of Sigma? If I interpret the designer correctly, making a model of Sensei's more complex helmet design is only possible if it is less compact than they it wanted to be, hurting its appearence. The leveled horns instead allow for a more compact form that is harder to model, but would look better over all. Both designs have their advantages and disadvantages and the final decision was one of aesthetics; there is no level of laziness associated with it. As such, it's just you guys and the designer disagreeing on taste

Offline Ninja Lou

• Samurai/Ninja of RPM
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Ninjas........Damn
    • View Profile
Reply #208 on: November 07, 2010, 08:06:20 PM

http://jef.mobile9.com:8080/download/wmpreview/158/1258237823-1.jpg

Just wondering Zan but do you have a MHX wallpaper for X that I can also add to my wallpaper folder?

This post has been approved by Marle!

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #209 on: November 07, 2010, 08:36:45 PM
Just wondering Zan but do you have a MHX wallpaper for X that I can also add to my wallpaper folder?
Click here, Lou.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #210 on: November 07, 2010, 10:25:39 PM
I distinctly recall Flame complaining that Zero's back horns should be visible at front views and not obscured by the others; creating a menacing appearence.
Had you responded to Flame, that might mean something.  I know he and I often think alike but we are not the same person. >U<

If I interpret the designer correctly, making a model of Sensei's more complex helmet design is only possible if it is less compact than they it wanted to be, hurting its appearence.
Contradictory to that interpretation is Yoshikawa's front-facing "Zero II" image on that very page.

Honestly, I think the notes on that page are less than clear.

As such, it's just you guys and the designer disagreeing on taste.
My disagreeing with Yoshikawa's tastes are nothing new.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #211 on: November 07, 2010, 11:03:03 PM
Contradictory to that interpretation is Yoshikawa's front-facing "Zero II" image on that very page.

Honestly, I think the notes on that page are less than clear.

So we acknowledge we have no clue what exactly Yoshikawa's reasoning for the change was?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #212 on: November 07, 2010, 11:45:30 PM
Just to add some closure to my argument, as Zan brought it back up- Zero's head being too wide actually seems to be a problem present more during X5, and to a smaller extent, X6. And its not the horns that make it too wide, but just that its as a whole, too wide. but like Hyper said, its just Sensei's style. Im fine with the horns not being visible from the front, as long as they still have their proper height and curve. (much like Day of Sigma) its mainly MHX's character art of Zero that bugs me more. they seem the exact same height.

Ah whatever.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #213 on: November 07, 2010, 11:51:51 PM
Any one of you have any ingame images of his helmet? Cause the only widespread image of Yoshikawa's X1 Zero is at an odd angle.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #214 on: November 08, 2010, 12:07:59 AM
Looking back at a few Youtube playthroughs, in ingame images, his helmet looks normal. they raised the back horns a slight bit, but for the most part, they seem normal. Except his ONLY widespread character image has them leveled off.

Rthis means I only have to really complain about X8's helmet now. (and about the odd angle of MHX Zero's art making his helmet look like that)

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #215 on: November 08, 2010, 12:13:30 AM

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Ninja Lou

• Samurai/Ninja of RPM
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Ninjas........Damn
    • View Profile
Reply #216 on: November 08, 2010, 12:37:46 AM

This post has been approved by Marle!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #217 on: November 08, 2010, 12:51:22 AM
Damn, those models really ARE pretty bad.

Anyway, the model's helmet looks oddly enough, like the character art with the leveled horns, while the art itself, like I said, has the horns looking more normal.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #218 on: November 09, 2010, 05:19:47 PM
So people, one question:

Are we still talking about Inafune leaving?

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #219 on: November 09, 2010, 06:38:31 PM
So people, one question:

Are we still talking about Inafune leaving?

Read the thread and find out.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #220 on: November 10, 2010, 12:33:46 AM
Ironic that on RPM we still care about the thread title at the 9th page.

Judging by Page 7, my responses to the tangents are apparently more interesting than my thoughts on the original topic.  Don't say I didn't try. >U<

Damn, those models really ARE pretty bad.

Anyway, the model's helmet looks oddly enough, like the character art with the leveled horns, while the art itself, like I said, has the horns looking more normal.
Wasn't kidding about the models, was I?  You can almost dismiss them on the grounds of being meant to be viewed from a distance, but then they pull EXTREME closeups on X's for the Get Weapon screen. X(

It's funny what you notice in artwork once you subject it to scrutiny.  Before this discussion I never noticed nor cared if Zero's lower horns were visible from the front in X3.  And I never noticed that his upper arms in MHX dialogue are about as long as his neck, either.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #221 on: December 01, 2010, 10:04:45 PM
And he uses New Blog! Its super effective!

SO Inafune has resurfced with a brand new Blog called "It's Keiji Inafune!"
http://inafking.exblog.jp/

Introducing himself as "Keiji Inafune, without a title", the former producer utilized his first post to give us a brief status update, starting off by expressing his desire to continue making games -- social games, online games, and everything else in between. Beyond that, he's also interested in working on films, books and comics.

"I'd like to challenge things that I couldn't do during my salaryman era and greatly exceed my former self," says Inafune in regards to projects outside of games.

Inafune says that, now free of his salaryman lifestyle, it would be meaningless to not use this opportunity to try things that he couldn't quite do before.

In closing, Inafune isn't announcing any new projects at the moment, but hopes to keep us posted via the blog.

http://protodudesrockmancorner.blogspot.com/2010/12/keiji-inafune-returns-with-all-new-blog.html

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #222 on: December 01, 2010, 10:06:15 PM
At least he seems to be happy.

Let's see where this is going.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #223 on: May 11, 2011, 01:13:59 PM
Didnt know where else to put this, so Ill just leave it here. Inafune talks about hos at some points he had to get sneaky in order to come out with a game.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/09/inafune_capcom_dev_secrets/

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #224 on: May 11, 2011, 05:19:47 PM
Well that explains why there's so many Rockman games...

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything