The Resident Evil / Biohazard Thread

Setsuna F. Seiei · 36410

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #175 on: June 28, 2011, 10:00:54 PM
I'm thinking this all has to do with hatred of GameStop and whatever their overseas equivalents are. Couldn't Capcom and a few other companies politely request that they not take in new release trade-ins until a certain amount of time has passed, if they don't already? Which wouldn't be much fun, but at least they'd have their profits.

Offline MrBaryl

• A new Shooting Star.
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Everything for you"
    • View Profile
Reply #176 on: June 28, 2011, 10:07:45 PM
They won't do that unless the companies force them, But I guess Capcom doesn't want that so they make a  game which you can't replay or re-sell. It's like "YOU BUY IT FROM ME AND THAT'S IT".

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #177 on: June 28, 2011, 10:16:51 PM
Nasty thought: Locked saves plus unwinnable situations (either bug- or design-induced) equals shitstorm of massive proportions. Unless Capcom is smart/nice enough to offer patches (somehow. Admittedly not sure if the 3DS can do patches).

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #178 on: June 28, 2011, 10:24:21 PM
I just don't think the statement was supposed to mean what the guy inferred. It's just too weird.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #179 on: June 28, 2011, 11:14:59 PM
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but what's the issue? I haven't played the game, or any past Mercenaries mode in a RE for that matter, but I know they're minigames. How is this game different? Does story progression in this game prevent you from going back and replaying earlier levels? Cause if it doesn't, I really don't see why people are all uppity. So you just have someone else's scores and name attached to the game, and potentially everything's already unlocked? So what? It's not like they're charging for Online Pass DLC or anything. Please correct me if I'm assuming incorrectly here.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #180 on: June 28, 2011, 11:24:47 PM
You can't reset the game/start it over. So if, say, things aren't doing so well and you have no way of making them better, you're hosed. Now who's to say that there won't be tons of used RE:TM copies stuck at points of no return? (I may also be assuming incorrectly here)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #181 on: June 28, 2011, 11:30:57 PM
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but what's the issue? I haven't played the game, or any past Mercenaries mode in a RE for that matter, but I know they're minigames. How is this game different? Does story progression in this game prevent you from going back and replaying earlier levels? Cause if it doesn't, I really don't see why people are all uppity. So you just have someone else's scores and name attached to the game, and potentially everything's already unlocked? So what? It's not like they're charging for Online Pass DLC or anything. Please correct me if I'm assuming incorrectly here.

Perhaps since the game is entirely score-based, people would want to earn their high spot themselves. For example, if a player completes a mission and gets a score their really proud of, only to find out they didn't make a new record because the previous owner already beat it in record time. Sorta defeats the purpose of getting your own scores i guess... not entirely sure myself.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #182 on: June 29, 2011, 12:32:17 AM
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but what's the issue?
I'll admit, I'm not familiar with Resident Evil Mercenaries.  But, the practical impact aside, this is hard to read as anything but a dick move.  Sometimes people like to start stuff over, even if it's a simple matter of wiping high scores, and they shouldn't have to purposefully corrupt their files to make that happen.  Assume for the sake of argument that there are no "points of no return" in the game, everything can be revisited, and all user-entry is forever able to be edited.  So what?  The same is true of Super Mario World, that doesn't mean nobody ever restarts it.  It could be as simple as one day wanting to "earn" everything over again.  As a matter of progression, structure, and satisfaction.  People do that.  And I know Mercenaries 3D does have skills and abilities to be unlocked, if nothing else.

The real question, though, is not "What was lost?"  It's, "What was gained?"  What is the purpose, either to the player or to Capcom, of a single permanent save, with no alternate slots and an inability to clear?

Capcom, in doing this, is asking for a leap of faith that their game will accommodate all possible desires of restarting without the need to actually do so.  That is an extremely lofty promise given that we're talking about what often amounts to personal preference.  I restart many supposedly replayable games, Punch-Out!! and a variety of Mario titles among them.  So, why, Capcom?  What's the tradeoff?  To us?  To you?  To the game balance?  If they cannot answer that, then they are asking for a risk, even if it amounts to only a minor annoyance, with nothing to be gained.  That is senseless, and it's no wonder they'll catch [parasitic bomb] for it.

I don't much care because I don't follow Resident Evil.  But it strikes me as a supplier trying to exercise undue control over how a consumer uses their product after they've purchased it.  Generally not something they have any business doing, so I can sympathize.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Ace DeSpade

• More awesome than you.
  • Robot Master
  • ^Is awesome.
    • View Profile
Reply #183 on: June 29, 2011, 12:43:37 AM
I never really cared much about RE: TM3D to begin with (I'm not paying for a game that's basically NOTHING BUT A MINIGAME which I can already play on my RE4/5 (mostly 4, since I'm not fond of RE5's The Mercenaries, which happens to be the one that this game is closer to, from what I've seen.) But still, it's one hell of a dick move. It completely defeats the purpose of an used game, and there's bound to be SOMETHING that makes players want to restart. There always is.

Not to mention games can get buggy. If the game ends up being bugged and needs to be restarted, what? We're gonna have to buy a new one? Sorry, Capcom, count me out of your milking this time.

[insert decent signature here]

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #184 on: June 29, 2011, 01:18:52 AM
Das stier kot (That's bullshit). What's the point of buying the game if you can't start over?! Good thing I don't plan on buying the damn game if I get a 3DS.

Offline MrBaryl

• A new Shooting Star.
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Everything for you"
    • View Profile
Reply #185 on: June 29, 2011, 01:42:18 AM
The point is that you can't re-sell it, it's yours forever so cheap gamers will have to buy it for full price. I think it's a good move for a game that's supposedly just a mini-game port.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #186 on: June 29, 2011, 02:07:07 AM
. It completely defeats the purpose of an used game,

Uh, I believe that's the exact point of this.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #187 on: June 29, 2011, 02:09:41 AM
Capcom claims that's not the reason, but it's hard to imagine what else it could be.

The point's been brought up that one could, in theory, force the game to restart by killing power in the middle of a save.  But you really shouldn't have to "break" your game to restart it.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #188 on: June 29, 2011, 02:32:11 AM
Maybe that's one way. A risky way, but it could still work. Honestly I'm sure it'd be easier with an Action Replay or something if those even exist for the 3DS yet.

Honestly, this not completely deal breaking for many, but is still really stupid. At least it's not like their PSN DRM I guess.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #189 on: June 29, 2011, 02:41:55 AM
The point is that you can't re-sell it, it's yours forever so cheap gamers will have to buy it for full price.

But, there's nothing preventing you from selling it or anyone else from buying it. I seriously don't see why everyone is making a big stink out of this. It's not that big a deal. So what the game has someone else's name on it? Ignore it, it's just a name. So what everything's already unlocked? Don't use them until you fulfill the unlock requirements again. So what there's already hi scores logged on the cart? Beat them just like people had to back in the days of arcade machines.

I mean, people are really mad about this? This is a dick move? DRM is a dick move. Forcing players to be logged in just to play a game, even by themself, yeah that's more of a dick move. DLC characters and other [parasitic bomb] you have to pay for that's already on the disc, yeah that's more a dick move. Having to pay money to access online modes if you don't have the activation code from when the game was purchased (not that Capcom has done this yet, just saying), that's definitely a dick move. This, though, is such a minor thing. You're not screwed out of the playing experience in any way. You're just denied the satisfaction of unlocking things. Which I would wager most of the gaming community doesn't care about. They don't have this OCD-like desire to start everything from absolute scratch. They just want to play the game.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #190 on: June 29, 2011, 02:52:48 AM
You're just denied the satisfaction of unlocking things. Which I would wager most of the gaming community doesn't care about.

Wouldn't all of this complaining  prove otherwise though?

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #191 on: June 29, 2011, 03:11:40 AM
Wow. This is a crazy example of removing staple user control out of a digital media. This is terrible. It serves no purpose other than to restrict the user. I will be boycotting this game.

(I wonder if it would clear the save data to pop the cart during saving or forever corrupted save data.)

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline MrBaryl

• A new Shooting Star.
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Everything for you"
    • View Profile
Reply #192 on: June 29, 2011, 03:20:23 AM
I read somewhere that removing the cart doesn't work, The game creates a backup for situations like that.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #193 on: June 29, 2011, 03:23:00 AM
It has two internal (not in-game) slots for saving. One of them is for back-up if you accidentally pull out the cartridge too early. If you are not able to save a game properly, it will load a session from your last game play.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #194 on: June 29, 2011, 03:32:46 AM
Wouldn't all of this complaining  prove otherwise though?

No, I'd say the outcry is from a very vocal minority.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #195 on: June 29, 2011, 03:47:22 AM
No, I'd say the outcry is from a very vocal minority.

Unlocking things are largely part of replayabilty, which make or brake a game for a lot of people. Whether it's alternate costumes, levels, modes, play functionality (etc.) 

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #196 on: June 29, 2011, 03:59:25 AM
It has two internal (not in-game) slots for saving. One of them is for back-up if you accidentally pull out the cartridge too early. If you are not able to save a game properly, it will load a session from your last game play.

Gah! A valid feature any other day, but in this ONE case I curse it's inclusion!

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline prower42

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #197 on: June 29, 2011, 11:03:32 AM

DON'T LET THIS BE YOU, CAPCOM

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #198 on: June 30, 2011, 03:17:35 AM
Gah! A valid feature any other day, but in this ONE case I curse it's inclusion!
Eh, I was afraid of that...  I know Pokemon does the same thing.

Honestly I'm sure it'd be easier with an Action Replay or something if those even exist for the 3DS yet.
Firmware updates create a bit of an issue as there's a very real chance that unlicensed hardware will be rendered useless in the future.  Wii went through that, which is why soft-mods pretty much dominate the scene there.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #199 on: June 30, 2011, 10:55:58 PM
So let me get this straight...

Making a game with a permanent save which cannot be reset, making a game only playable once- a dick move of epic proportions and about 15 steps back of technological regression which they HAVE to know will [acid burst] many players off is a good idea...

But Mega Man Legends 3 still needs a trial run before they even green light it because it's an investment risk despite the overwhelming fan support for the game which has been demanded of capcom since the second game.

MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO ME.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.