Is Zero that much more interesting X?

Waifu · 3168

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
on: August 14, 2010, 03:11:07 AM
I read some posts on this and other forums and it seems that X isn't really all that interesting to most fans. Zero is just a generic badass dude with a 'mysterious' past and a game breaker power that can destroy the world but X had always been meant to be the main character technically. Zero had always been a part of the Spotlight Stealing Squad, a large majority of the events in series had to with Zero even when X was the lead character of his own series. Zero had his own series finally the way is was supposed to be originally but Zero is basically a post apocalyptic story where he saves the day from a tyrannical X or his copy. My question is to other people of RPM, is X not an interesting character despite the development he gets in the series?

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 03:15:32 AM
I think people should lay off the Red personally. Since the recent X game we are getting (or in this case, Korea's) might shine a little light in X's past. Besides, he's the hero of the story, plus most of his history is pretty much rounded up in X1-3.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 03:50:14 AM
Its because the only character they ever BUILD on is Zero. he gets ysterious dreams of his past, he gets love interests and friends whom he later is forced to kill for the mission, he gets used, he he he.

X? Alia obviously has feelings for him, but hes as oblivious as can be, his character doesnt really go anywhere, his highlight was when Double betrayed him, that was just about it, they tried to give him some oomph to his character by adding his "dilemma" over violence, which resulted in the forced character development called X7, where he retired from active hunting. Which didnt feel natural at all (and was contradictory to it being an X series game, not a Zero/Axl one, wtf the main character is an unlockable?), and actually felt out of character. Hes always disliked having to resort to killing, but much like Zero, if he had to, he did it. It never caused him THAT much inner turmoil. He was basically just the sappy equivalent to Zero. and then suddenly in X8, hes back to his usual self, as if nothing happened. He moans and groans about the fighting starting again, but thats it. he actually seems almost too comfortable with maverick hunting, more than usual.

In short, Its because Zero gets the better Character development, while X gets almost none.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 04:14:19 AM
While I do not dislike Zero... I prefer X. I prefer X so much it's not even funny.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 05:13:03 AM
Speaking of character development, I know X is an action game but why didn't expand on how "human" X is? Or even his immunity to the Zero/Sigma/Whatever virus?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 05:26:15 AM
because there are no humans on screen to compare him too,
and theres no need to delve into his immunity. we as players know it is because he was made by Light. And the whole cast knows both Zero and X are immune. They cant figure out why however, because of how complex their systems are. Leaving Lifesavor to only theorize on "antibodies"

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 04:14:23 PM
they tried to give him some oomph to his character by adding his "dilemma" over violence

That was ALWAYS there.

RockmanX1:
"I don't like fighting. But, I cannot stand by while there are those who are threatening our peace... All right, let's go!!"

and actually felt out of character.

1) I think you're letting the dubbing get to you. When the same story is delivered by Showtaro, X is awesome like he should be.
2) You're confusing the Red Alert Incident for anything but a petty game of cat and mouse in which X wants no part of; he has bigger matters to attend to, until innocent get caught up in the affair.

then suddenly in X8, hes back to his usual self

Looks like you actually paid no attention whatsoever to X7's endgame; X returned to the front lines then and there.

In short, Its because Zero gets the better Character development, while X gets almost none.

False. X and Zero are developed alongside each other. As a matter of fact, they're developed in RELATION to each other; leading up to the destined battle. X's development occurs early on, whereas Zero's development only really starts in X4. You're only thinking Zero has that much more development because X4 is the first to tell its story in a different format.

Leaving Lifesavor to only theorize on "antibodies"

Signas and Lifesavor are very different characters.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 06:46:24 PM
X7 cost X a lot in character development, but I don't feel that in the series as a whole Zero has been the spotlight-stealer that others [sonic slicer] about.  X and Zero have been developed together, though in different ways, and apparently a lot of people who want to be fans of the title character just happen to like Zero's direction better.

He does occasionally get shafted in cutscene time, but that's mainly X4 and X7.

1) I think you're letting the dubbing get to you. When the same story is delivered by Showtaro, X is awesome like he should be.
I'm not convinced of that.  If you have any retranslations of X7 to share then we'd love to see them, but I'm pretty sure that even the Japanese saw X as more sappy than he really should have been in X7.  I mean, those 4Koma jokes had to come from somewhere.

2) You're confusing the Red Alert Incident for anything but a petty game of cat and mouse in which X wants no part of; he has bigger matters to attend to, until innocent get caught up in the affair.
This petty game of cat and mouse involves Red Alert demolishing everything in their way as they search for Axl.  The public was suffering since the highway revisit at the very beginning; X just sat on it hoping that they'd shut up and go home.

Looks like you actually paid no attention whatsoever to X7's endgame; X returned to the front lines then and there.
Recall that in X7's endgame X was dead-set against Axl becoming a Hunter.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 07:06:15 PM
The dilemma of X disliking what he does was always there, yes, but never as big as in X7. What are these "bigger" matters that your referring to?

Taking a desk job with Alia and bitching about how violence isnt the answer? Scolding Axl for defending himself when Red Alert tried to stop him from leaving?

Hoping a rouge bounty hunter group will just as Hypershell put it- Shut up and go home?

His stance everywhere else but X7, was that he dislikes having to retire fellow reploids, and WILL try to peace-talk given the chance,(and he has in both X5 and 6) but if there is no other way, then he WILL pull the trigger.

X's confrontations go something like this.

>try to talk.
>try to reason and avoid fighting
>Successful?

>Yes= Good. lets both go home and solve this without senseless violence.
>No= Damn. I would have preferred not to fight... But If I must, I will.

then suddenly in X7, he gets far more pacifistic than usual, outright refusing to fight, even though he is the only hunter along with Zero who CAN finish the fight. (which he acknowledges when he decides to rejoin the team, and it IS the reason for his doing so)

Then in X8, he seems far more resolved to "finish the fight." than ever.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 07:45:02 PM
I'm not convinced of that.  If you have any retranslations of X7 to share then we'd love to see them, but I'm pretty sure that even the Japanese saw X as more sappy than he really should have been in X7.  I mean, those 4Koma jokes had to come from somewhere.

The basic script is the same, but it makes a big difference in presentation; much more determined and less whiny.

This petty game of cat and mouse involves Red Alert demolishing everything in their way as they search for Axl.  The public was suffering since the highway revisit at the very beginning; X just sat on it hoping that they'd shut up and go home.

As a fan of Xtreme2, you should be well aware of X's trust in Zero. Furthermore, X is actually placing trust in Axl too, wanting him to prove himself as a Hunter and fix his own mistakes. X returning to the front lines then and there would have trampled all over that. However, X's turmoil about innocent casualties would eventually force his hand.

Recall that in X7's endgame X was dead-set against Axl becoming a Hunter.

X's usual reluctant fighting self did return at the end of X7, even if he holds strong sentiments against Axl.
But, X acting tough and wanting Axl not to repeat his mistakes, does not exclude him from eventually warming up to Axl. As it is, X is not training Axl, but rather letting Axl discover the harshness of reality by himself.

The dilemma of X disliking what he does was always there, yes, but never as big as in X7. What are these "bigger" matters that your referring to?

Earth recovery operations. Remember, Eurasia!

His stance everywhere else but X7, was that he dislikes having to retire fellow reploids, and WILL try to peace-talk given the chance,(and he has in both X5 and 6) but if there is no other way, then he WILL pull the trigger.

As recent experiments should have told X; simply being on the battlefield incites people to challenge X. Just want a part to save the world? Battle to the death first! X knows that at times his own presence worsens the situation. Why would he forcedly escalate a minor conflict such as Red Alert's? It doesn't even have Sigma written all over it, nor can be compared to the earth shattering of Eurasia and the Nightmare.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 09:01:20 PM
As a fan of Xtreme2, you should be well aware of X's trust in Zero.
Very.  But I actually see their relationship in X7 as being under pressure.  The two of them don't address each other very often, and when Zero does speak to X, it's either with a cold shoulder or a begrudging attitude towards X having left the field.

X:  "Zero, do you read me?  I'm going, too;  take me with you."
Alia:  "X?!"
Zero:  "Okay.  Do as you please."

X:  "I know.  OK everybody, let's go.  Let's get this fight over and done with."
Zero:  "Heh, now that's the X I used to know!"

Zero:  "We're heading for a war zone, just the type you hate.  Are you sure you can do this?"
X:  "I'm not going to fight.  I'm going to stop this madness."
Zero:  "Hmph.  Do as you please."

I see X's actions in X7 as straining their friendship.  While it is very true that Zero sees X's compassion as a strength, X prior to X7 had a firm grasp on the fact that getting your hands dirty was unfortunately necessary.  Recent events from Zero's point of view made it clear that a disappearing act doesn't accomplish anything, Sigma or no Sigma (X6).  By refusing to fight outright, X is turning his back on those who are caught in the middle, so what's the point?

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)