Yakuza 3 reviewed by actual members of the yakuza

Align · 2861

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
on: August 11, 2010, 12:43:18 AM
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html
Deserves its own thread for being so dang interesting.

Posted on: 2010-08-10, 23:42:37
S: I don't know any ex-yakuza running orphanages.
K: There was one a few years ago. A good guy.
M: You sure it wasn't just a tax shelter?
K: Sure it was a tax shelter but he ran it like a legitimate thing. You know
Anyone else think of Pulp Fiction or the like?

Offline Romantic Fool

• Since 1995
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 01:51:18 AM
I was thinking Tarantino too when I was reading through the whole thing. Haha, it was pretty cool.

Revolutionary

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 01:54:47 AM
Gotta love how the game manages to be pretty damn realistic.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 03:30:20 AM
That's pretty amusing.

Then again, videogames are so ingrained in Japanese society, I'd be surprised if that guy HADN'T managed to convince those three yakuza to play the game.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 04:45:13 AM
That was an awesome read. It's nice to hear that they got things pretty accurately for the most part (although not perfect by any means). No surprise about the fighting in the game not being realistic though, that's to be expected :P

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 05:16:34 AM
Well, honestly, it shouldn't be too surprising. Real life Yakuza have been praising the RGG/Yakuza series for a while now, ever since the original games on PS2. This is just likely the first article of its type that English users can understand.

In the end, RGG does a great job of being a video game version of a Yakuza-themed Miike film. It's got some stuff that's definitely pretty out there (transforming buildings and PUNCHING TIGERS IN THE FACE, any one? 8D), but deep down, it tells a story of the classical, nobel Yakuza that really don't exist any more.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 05:20:07 AM
Haha, wow. That was a fun read.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 09:26:00 AM
In the end, RGG does a great job of being a video game version of a Yakuza-themed Miike film.
Other way around?

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 03:32:36 PM
deep down, it tells a story of the classical, nobel Yakuza that really don't exist any more.

Noble, you mean.  But yes, the yakuza playing it seemed to be nostalgic for that classical noble yakuza.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 03:37:00 PM
That is indeed a nice read, in more than one way. One of the best text format I've ever seen.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 11:45:18 PM
Other way around?

No, I meant what I said. The RGG series started as a video game series. The movie adaptation by Miike came afterward.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 12:45:24 AM
No, I meant what I said. The RGG series started as a video game series. The movie adaptation by Miike came afterward.
"Video game version of a Yakuza-themed Miike film" kinda means the contrary to me, seeing as you mean the game's a "version" of a film. Unless you meant the film when you said RGG. Which, being the name of the saga, gets confusing.

Ironic that the only excellent and amazing videogame movie so far is the one nobody knows exists.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 06:15:34 PM
"Video game version of a Yakuza-themed Miike film" kinda means the contrary to me, seeing as you mean the game's a "version" of a film. Unless you meant the film when you said RGG. Which, being the name of the saga, gets confusing.

No, what I meant was more along the lines of "thematically, the RGG game series basically has more in common with the likes of Miike's Yakuza themed movies". That much can be evident, seeing how the game series does a lot to invoke a bizarre sense of humor, matched with hard-boiled action-drama. Again, not unlike many of Miike and other various directors' work in this same vein. 

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 05:41:28 AM
Nice read!

Ironically, the sections that Shirokawa seemed to enjoy the most were cut out of the US version: mahjong, the sexual massage parlor, and the hostess clubs. After I explain to him what Sega cut from the US version, he said: アメリカ版を買った奴がかわいそうだ。セガUSAが最低だね.(Translation: I feel sorry for the people who bought the American version. SEGA USA sucks.)
8D