US/Japanese manga publishers form Multi-National Manga anti-piracy coalition

Flame · 14788

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
http://www.mangatoshokan.com/forums/showthread.php?6426-Change-of-Direction
http://www.onemanga.com/

Apparently, scanlation sites have been under mounting legal pressure by a US/Japan anti piracy coalition which has been going around stopping scanlation sites.

MULTI-NATIONAL MANGA ANTI-PIRACY COALITION FORMED

San Francisco, CA, June 8, 2010 – Today a coalition of Japanese and U.S. publishers announced a coordinated effort to combat a rampant and growing problem of internet piracy plaguing the manga industry. “Scanlation,” as this form of piracy has come to be known, refers to the unauthorized digital scanning and translation of manga material that is subsequently posted to the internet without the consent of copyright holders or their licensees. According to the coalition, the problem has reached a point where “scanlation aggregator” sites now host thousands of pirated titles, earning ad revenue and/or membership dues at creators’ expense while simultaneously undermining foreign licensing opportunities and unlawfully cannibalizing legitimate sales. Worse still, this pirated material is already making its way to smartphones and other wireless devices, like the iPhone and iPad, through apps that exist solely to link to and republish the content of scanlation sites.

Participants in the coalition include the 36 members of Japan’s Digital Comic Association, Square Enix, VIZ Media, TOKYOPOP, Vertical, Inc., the Tuttle-Mori Agency and Yen Press. Working together, the membership of the coalition will actively seek legal remedies to this intellectual property theft against those sites that fail to voluntarily cease their illegal appropriation of this material.

“It is unfortunate that this action has become necessary,” said a spokesperson for the group. “However, to protect the intellectual property rights of our creators and the overall health of our industry, we are left with no other alternative but to take aggressive action. It is our sincere hope that offending sites will take it upon themselves to immediately cease their activities. Where this is not the case, however, we will seek injunctive relief and statutory damages. We will also report offending sites to federal authorities, including the anti-piracy units of the Justice Department, local law enforcement agencies and FBI.”

The coalition stated that it has currently identified thirty sites targeted for action.
http://www.viz.com/news/newsroom/?id=617
http://manga.about.com/b/2010/06/09/u-s-japan-manga-publishers-band-together-to-stop-scanlation-sites.htm

discuss?

IMO, this is bullshit. theres thousands of mangas that arent licensed in the US, and never will be, which is WHY we go to scanlations.
And even if they stomp out manga sites, Ill still be able to torrent manga.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
So that means we'll have to be stuck with [parasitic bomb]-overraited manga (Twilight) now even though good manga lacks in the US? What the [tornado fang], I don't feel like reading Naruto once a week, and Avatar: The last airbender. what the hell guys.. wait. It's Squeenix. Damn, I knew those guys are not to be trusted. I HATE IMPORTING!  >_<

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
So that means we'll have to be stuck with [parasitic bomb]-overraited manga now even though good manga lacks in the US? What the [tornado fang], I don't feel like reading Naruto once a week, and Avatar: The last airbender. what the hell guys.. wait. It's Squeenix. Damn, I knew those guys are not to be trusted. I HATE IMPORTING!  >_<

...why the [tornado fang] is Avatar: TLA, a western animated series even mentioned in a post related to [tornado fang]ing manga scanlations being attacked? What does Square-Enix alone have to do with this when the article clearly states that they are one of a 36 corporation strong coalition against manga piracy? Humor me with an answer, because the more I see you post the more I wonder if I'm just getting annoyed with no justification or as I suspect, you don't have a [tornado fang]ing clue what you're saying.

ON TOPIC: FUUUUUUUUCK, I'm following (or semi following) way too many manga for it to be conceivable to buy them all at whole market prices (much as I would adore that). This initiative is scaring the [tornado fang] out of me, but it's to be expected with how the manga scanlation sites have paraded around with the scanlations while making money off the ad spaces they sell & advertise themselves with.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
...why the [tornado fang] is Avatar: TLA, a western animated series even mentioned in a post related to [tornado fang]ing manga scanlations being attacked? What does Square-Enix alone have to do with this when the article clearly states that they are one of a 36 corporation strong coalition against manga piracy? Humor me with an answer, because the more I see you post the more I wonder if I'm just getting annoyed with no justification or as I suspect, you don't have a [tornado fang]ing clue what you're saying.

I hate explaining things..

1. If this is come to pass, most likely SE and other companies would have to be blamed for it by millions of anime and manga fans that couldn't afford almost all the manga in existence.

2. Avatar: TLA is also had a comic book/manga adaptation. Basically, we might have to resort into buying US merchandise again. And I don't feel like burning $20 just for some adaptation you can get online.

3. Why that when I say something, I feel like I'm better off at other boards SAYING these things? This hardly makes any sense.  -AC

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
I hate explaining things..

1. If this is come to pass, most likely SE and other companies would have to be blamed for it by millions of anime and manga fans that couldn't afford almost all the manga in existence.

2. Avatar: TLA is also had a comic book/manga adaptation. Basically, we might have to resort into buying US merchandise again. And I don't feel like burning $20 just for some adaptation you can get online.

3. Why that when I say something, I feel like I'm better off at other boards SAYING these things? This hardly makes any sense.  -AC

1. They would only be "blamed" because manga scanlation sites have never done a good job of keeping what they are doing discreet. As much as it's helped bring a lot of people to the manga culture, first hit ads on Google for something of this magnitude are like a giant "kick me" sign placed on their backs.

2. Irrelevant to this discussion. If you wanted manga, you wouldn't be looking at adaptation comics from American properties. You would be looking at/paying for manga.

3. It might be because you don't ever keep your opinion focused throughout an entire post. It might be because of this weird condescending attitude you take whenever you present your arguments. It could also be because this board has a more rigid stance on saying things without merit vs. saying things that are at least thought out. Pick your poison.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
3. It might be because you don't ever keep your opinion focused throughout an entire post. It might be because of this weird condescending attitude you take whenever you present your arguments. It could also be because this board has a more rigid stance on saying things without merit vs. saying things that are at least thought out. Pick your poison.

That explains alot. I might need better sentence structures afterall. However, I've seen US properties trying to mimic the japanese style and calling it manga. It's happened before. It's also why ads are never a good idea. More ads = easier pickings I say.

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
what is this I don't even

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Another attempt to hunt pirates? Laf.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Bring Manga over here and I´ll stop reading scanlations. Greedy bastards

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Considering I pretty much only read stuff that has no chance whatsoever of getting a western release, this is a gigantic kick in the balls. Manga scan sites should be a bit more careful with how they distribute stuff. Like comic scans. They pretty much move from blog to blog, and one dude posts all the links on the /co/ board at 4chan from time to time. Releasing everything in a big site with ad revenue in webcomic format with scans and translations attribuited to this and that guy is a dumb move.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
For every one thing that goes down or gets taken down, there are 5 more waiting to take it's place.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Well if they start translating more manga and bringing it to local bookstores so that way there's more than those vapid and not really intresting shojo mangas then they wouldn't have this problem in the first place.  Furthermore scanlation sites shouldn't even translate the entire thing if it exists in america fully translated already.  They should only give samples of it, like 1 chapter or one volume, so that way we can decide if we want to buy it or not because there are mangas I wish I never bought, ie. Gintama, Scrap Princess, Peace Maker, Dears, and a few others.  

In fact they could use the sites to advertise or even sell the manga.  Scalation sites should also have a price for downloading the manga and some of the proceeds should go to the creators of the manga they download.  But the way that both ends are going is beneficial to no one.  

There's a demand for manga but the companies aren't providing the supply so therefore people are forced use scanlation sites which not only provide the supply they reqiure no profit which means the companies lose money dispite the fact that they don't have a supply to give to lose money in the first place.  So because some of the companies are losing money they are boycotting theses sites and forcing them to shut down, but chances are this is going to happen again because they'll probably still provide no suppy and call for the demand of non profit scanlation sites to provide the non existant supply and the consumer would much rather read it on a computer screen for free instead of paying for the offcial release, if there is one, no matter how many times said sites beg them to buy it.  It's a vicious no win cycle because both organizations are made to not work together harmoniously like other relationships between internet media and what said media is showing you.

Take the Nostalgia Critic for example, he reviews really old and really bad movies for no profit other than the donations he recieves.  However he gives credit to people who made the films so that way the companies who made the horrible movies get more dinero and pubicity because the people watch the reviews want to buy the movies to actually see how horrible it is and show their friends.  That's why Fox, Warner Bros, and other networks like him because he is actually supplying a demand for thier excess suppy, or at least they get more publicity/ratings whatever works.  

On an somewhat unrelated note one independant director is actually trying to sue the Nostalgia Critic saying he can't show his image on his site, which isn't illegal and he's only suing him because his feelings got hurt because the Nostagia Critic said his movie was bad.  It makes no sense because his movie was probably bad and now people want to see it.  But Nostalgia Critc took down the image because he's nice and likes to fight fire with fire.  The independant director is going to be premoting a comedy short at Comicon and he hopes to get a contract with Comedy Central for it.  Nostalgia Critic is also going to be there to boycott the short with a few of his friends, so chances are if this works the director is going to lose a huge amount money because he was dumb enough to try to sue someone without a concret reason.

In conclusion I find this complaint to be stupid because these guys aren't doing anything to satisfy the consumers demand but I understand why scanlation sites shouldn't be continuing the way now because they are hurting these companies even more than the companies are hurting themselves.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Hah. Good thing I fully downloaded all the volumes of Eat-man a while back.

because then theres mangas like that...

Viz had it at one bit, but they dropped it after localizing the second volume.

Weeell vizz, if you didnt drop mangas that I liked, perhaps I wouldnt be "pirating" them.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
*excellent post*

What the hell? Since when is Sakura dropping knowledge on fools like this? I've been away from the site waaaay too long. XD

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
It has nothing to do with greed

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
For every one thing that goes down or gets taken down, there are 5 more waiting to take it's place.

Treating the symptoms, not the cause. Eh?

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
What the hell? Since when is Sakura dropping knowledge on fools like this? I've been away from the site waaaay too long. XD
Eh I plan to own a business and I'm good with money so I guess it's natural for me to understand this.  Plus I'm tired of bookstores not having any veriaty in there manga selection, because I'm one of the few people who actually would buy the official release if they have it since I'd rather read it in my hands than a screen.  Yes America has their comics and I really should start thinking about reading some, if they have it, because for some weird reason thanks to my brother I'm really intrested in X-Men, and maybe get some Batman too since he's my favorite hero.  

But I grew up with manga and I don't like a majority of shojo since it's not really realisitic and a couple of them are yaoi.  I mean I don't mind light yaoi, heck 2 of my friends are bi, and God Child isn't that bad but I prefer strait couples thank you very much.  I also don't really go for a lot of main stream manga either, I prefer lesser known mangas like PhD Phantasy Degree, Gimmick! not Hot Gimmick just Gimmick!, and the Saiyuki series.  Okay Saiyuki is a bit more main stream but not a lot of people have any idea what it is.  But if I can't go to a book store to pick up a copy of Kami Kaze Kaitou Jeann or Dazzle to only find it's not there or it doesn't exist anymore than what can I do.

I only know about what nostagia critc does because of my brother because I don't know the name of the web adress and I need new speakers.

It has nothing to do with greed
It's not really about greed per say it's more about stupid desisions on both sides.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Eh I plan to own a business and I'm good with money so I guess it's natural for me to understand this.  Plus I'm tired of bookstores not having any veriaty in there manga selection, because I'm one of the few people who actually would buy the official release if they have it since I'd rather read it in my hands than a screen.  Yes America has their comics and I really should start thinking about reading some, if they have it, because for some weird reason thanks to my brother I'm really intrested in X-Men, and maybe get some Batman too since he's my favorite hero.  

But I grew up with manga and I don't like a majority of shojo since it's not really realisitic and a couple of them are yaoi.  I mean I don't mind light yaoi, heck 2 of my friends are bi, and God Child isn't that bad but I prefer strait couples thank you very much.  I also don't really go for a lot of main stream manga either, I prefer lesser known mangas like PhD Phantasy Degree, Gimmick! not Hot Gimmick just Gimmick!, and the Saiyuki series.  Okay Saiyuki is a bit more main stream but not a lot of people have any idea what it is.  But if I can't go to a book store to pick up a copy of Kami Kaze Kaitou Jeann or Dazzle to only find it's not there or it doesn't exist anymore than what can I do.

I only know about what nostagia critc does because of my brother because I don't know the name of the web adress and I need new speakers.
It's not really about greed per say it's more about stupid desisions on both sides.
It's good that you want to start your own business, but there's a whooooole lot of factors you have to consider before actually starting it.

...that, and if you plan on getting initiated on western comics, PLEASE ask for advice. I fell out of the loop in the 90's because I had a completely crappy taste. ake sure you go in reading something like some classy Vertigo thing, or something. Surf the wave into the awesome. (Franco-Belgian comics can also be excellent. I recomend)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
It's good that you want to start your own business, but there's a whooooole lot of factors you have to consider before actually starting it.

...that, and if you plan on getting initiated on western comics, PLEASE ask for advice. I fell out of the loop in the 90's because I had a completely crappy taste. ake sure you go in reading something like some classy Vertigo thing, or something. Surf the wave into the awesome. (Franco-Belgian comics can also be excellent. I recomend)

Don't worry I'll only start my business after I graduate from college with a Major in Plant Science and a Minor in Business, because I don't want to end up like my mom's boss his business is doing well but sometimes he has no idea what he's doing because he had no former business lessons, I mean you can run a business by only following your instincts but I'd like to get a former knowledge so I can get a better understanding of how it works. 

I want to learn about plants as well. I don't know if it'll be for the plants themselves to sell so people can have an alternative to getting food or simply so they can have cleaner air.  Or to use the extract of the plants to help people thereputicly with oils, bath salts, soaps and other things like Bath and Body Works but hopefully a little less expensive and a bit more organic since, well people are using it. 

I just want to help people either way because I'm a mostly honest person and I despise people who take advantage of others just for money. I mean I like money as much as the next person and I am a bit greedy but only because I want to be able to be happy I can buy or afford things, be it for food or recreation, without having to depend on others too much.  But this way in the future, I mean I'm only 17 for crying out loud I have plenty of time to find out exactly what I want to do.

As for the comics I need to find a store first with really old comics so I can start from the beggining, although I hope it won't be expensive.  I probably won't find one it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
YES! HOW CAN THEY EXPECT ME TO PAY FOR THEIR HARD WORK?! IF IT'S NOT RELEASED IN MY COUNTRY, I SHOULD PIRATE IT!

Never the less... wut.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Don't worry I'll only start my business after I graduate from college with a Major in Plant Science and a Minor in Business, because I don't want to end up like my mom's boss his business is doing well but sometimes he has no idea what he's doing because he had no former business lessons, I mean you can run a business by only following your instincts but I'd like to get a former knowledge so I can get a better understanding of how it works. 

I want to learn about plants as well. I don't know if it'll be for the plants themselves to sell so people can have an alternative to getting food or simply so they can have cleaner air.  Or to use the extract of the plants to help people thereputicly with oils, bath salts, soaps and other things like Bath and Body Works but hopefully a little less expensive and a bit more organic since, well people are using it. 

I just want to help people either way because I'm a mostly honest person and I despise people who take advantage of others just for money. I mean I like money as much as the next person and I am a bit greedy but only because I want to be able to be happy I can buy or afford things, be it for food or recreation, without having to depend on others too much.  But this way in the future, I mean I'm only 17 for crying out loud I have plenty of time to find out exactly what I want to do.

As for the comics I need to find a store first with really old comics so I can start from the beggining, although I hope it won't be expensive.  I probably won't find one it's just wishful thinking on my part.
Ah, good. And don't forget the basics for a good location, space, distributors, etc.

That seems like a wonderful goal. A bit common for teenage idealism, but I hope you'll get there. =P Still, start thinking of your own life early. It's a good thing to do.

When it comes to starting certain comics, you don't need to start with the very first. Old comics didn't really have set stories or origins, and people who aren't familiar with them aren't really keen on going through years of Golden Age stuff. =P For example, you want to read Batman? Read the best arcs. Start with Year One, the canon origin, and go onwards to the rest. Wanna read Green Lantern? Start with Rebirth, and go through with it, since you don't need previous knowledge to know much about it. Marvel Cosmic? Start with Annihilation.
Thing about hero comics, is that there's alot of crappy arcs, and alot of good ones. And you don't need to know everything about the story to follow them, since they switch authors pretty often and they change moods, stories, canon and alot of other stuff. Just ask around for which are the best arcs, and enjoy them. Not from the first to the last like Manga, but by picking up small stories. Either that, or pick up a comic which has already ended and is guaranteed to be good, like Starman, Transmetropolitan, or Bone. It'll be more than worth it.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Ah, good. And don't forget the basics for a good location, space, distributors, etc.
Of course, like I said I'll wait til I'm older because as I said before I'm not fond of my town because it's really really small.

That seems like a wonderful goal. A bit common for teenage idealism, but I hope you'll get there. =P Still, start thinking of your own life early. It's a good thing to do.
I'm not even sure if my genereration even has idealism because as far as I know they don't care about anything other than themselves and the people they text.  Honestly I'm not exactly sure if it's normal teenage behavior to be deliquents or just because there's nothing intresting in this town.

As for the comics that's really good advice I had no idea it worked like that.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Wow. there was a wise and srs bsnss side to Sakura that i did not expect.

Yeah. When I go to Borders, for example, almost NOTHING there catches my eye. Its all very bland. because publishers say "They like manga? lets give them manga!!" and then proceed to bring here ANYTHING, regardless of how good it is or not. And so, we end up with not only the overrated mainstreams, but the real bland "meh" ones, with only a few gems in there.
AND LOTS AND LOTS OF SHOJO. Jesus, why is there so much of it?

I mean, perhaps Im the only one who sees it this way. But perhaps... If they listened a bit more to fan requests, they could bring over more quality stuff. Im all for quality over quantity any day.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
That's true I mean here in Barns and Nobel there is barely anything that catches my eye and they take out a lot of mangas I like too, like PhD and Dazzle.  In fact sometimes they put mangas like the Kingdom Hearts series and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumia in the teen section...near the Twilight series. *shudders*  The pokemon manga is in the kids section and they only have up to the Yellow saga.  

I don't get why the manga industry does this, I mean I was lucky I found a copy of the ZX manga and Megamix in Barnes Noble because normally I don't order online because I expect it there!