What if: Dr. Who Anime

Flame · 2027

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
on: July 16, 2010, 07:00:39 PM
I dont know if this is old news to you guys, but I felt the need to post it, if only because it was real cool.

its fan made, but pretty well done.

32-year-old Paul "OtaKing" Johnson, a professional
translator in Sheffield, England (who bears no relation to Toshio Okada, the "OtaKing" who co-founded Gainax), released a video on YouTube in February 2009 called "Making a proper Doctor Who anime." The 4-minute video depicts a fight scene evolving from rough drawings into a fully detailed, inked, colored, and dubbed animation, created entirely by Johnson himself.

Between February 9, 2009 and April 5, 2010, Johnson released four videos of scenes and clips from his anime short for a total of 13 minutes of footage (mostly unfinished) and has brought two voice actors onto the project: Northern Ireland's Phillip Sacramento and Japan-based Sachiko Souno.

"It's just an 11 minute fake 'what if' trailer
for a Doctor Who anime if one had been made back in the early '90s," Johnson said. He also noted that his influences are largely '80s and '90s anime, specifying Bubblegum Crisis, Macross, and Project A-Ko." Since he is a self-proclaimed "80s purist," the short features no CG, only hand-drawn frames. As such, Johnson calls the project "fun but massively time-consuming."

The final cut of the short features characters speaking in both English and Japanese; dialogue in each language will also be subtitled in the other, although Johnson clarified that Sacramento and Souno have "only a few lines". The piece is 11 minutes long total and nearly complete, but Johnson indicated that he plans to show it to BBC, who own the copyright to Doctor Who, before any potential release.

Its best watched in HD, BTW.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqR8A8ecKWo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pBdJOwLp40[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JApUCaP7ubY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0IQ5fZ2XrQ[/youtube]

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 07:08:11 PM
Reminded me of older animes. Which is a good thing.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 08:33:05 PM
Reminded me of older animes. Which is a good thing.

With a little bit of flash, as far as I can tell how the animation is moving.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 09:02:36 PM
I have no [tornado fang]ing clue regarding Dr. Who, but I've seen those videos in the past because they were done by the guy who did The Rise and Fall of Anime Fansubs.

God, whenever I see that montage of the guys there getting turned into those driving trash cans in the assembly hall, I start to feel sick, even though I've seen far sicker [parasitic bomb] in anime. Must be because of that saw sound running through flesh and cloth.

Is that a permanent "rebuild", by the way?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 10:21:33 PM
Well, given they are replacing large portions of the body with mechanical parts, I would say yes. Not to mention the fact that they open up your skull so that your brain is connected to the helmet and all that stuff.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 09:45:29 PM
The reason I never watched this, even tough I've encounted those videos multiple times, is because... OTA-[tornado fang]ing-KING.
I mean... goddamn.
I'm gonna watch this now, however, and tell you what I think.