MadManX · 18379

Offline MadManX

• Supporter of Everything Epic!
  • Robot Master
  • The Fightin' Fef!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
on: June 06, 2010, 04:59:34 AM
I know when I got here, I've been blabbing left and right, "OMG IMMA MAKIN' A FANDUB OF MMZ!!" Well, I was finally gonna post the first episode...right about today, but due to setbacks, this project is way behind. On the to-do list:

1. Zero (my main guy) has not sent me in his lines, even though it's been 2 months and everyone else did, and then some (potential recast)
2. Issue between mixing sfx & voice (whether to be minimal, include the arrange album only, or try a custom soundtrack)
3. Whether my direction would either exploit the backstory behind the games, or just cause more confusion

Now, for a few details:

-Direction - This fandub is aimed at mixing the plot and events in-game while having the (translated from direct translation) scripting of the Drama tracks. Along with this, give some lesser characters a little depth while staying within plot constraints, via "codec calls". For example, the intro will be lengthened to put light on Ciel's situation.

-Voice Acting - Even though this is a "kids series", I wish to explore the better parts of it from the Drama CD acting. For something to compare, imagine the likes of Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (minus the cursing and gore :P ), or at least Astro Boy script-wise

-Music & SFX - I have been able to find a sfx rip of all sounds for the whole series, yet some of them have their Jap VA attached to them. Replacement sfx will be needed. However, the means to mix them (Audacity, then Adobe Premiere) has proven long and tedious...not to say I won't do them, but doing all this solo... :\  As for music, some of the early work is...decent, to be nice. Giving more life to the soundtrack (using OSTs from Resident Evil, Parasite Eve, Metal Gear Solid, Mega Man Legends, and other Sci-Fi inspired music) would help flesh out the acting and tension between the scenes. The Arranged sountrack is also available, and even though they make the feel come alive most of the time, some tracks are still lackluster.

So, I'm appealing to the fans, if anyone would like to help check my work on scripting and/or help write future episodes, please contact me via skype, msn/windows live, or email, I'm available!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:54:16 AM by MadManX »

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 07:22:31 AM
Consider me interested. If you need it, I may be able to help in the acting department.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 04:08:41 PM
Just the first game?

Offline MadManX

• Robot Master
  • The Fightin' Fef!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 04:28:13 PM
All right, my Zero's back on board! Hope it stays that way...

And no Zan, MMZ1 is just the tip of the iceberg. The rest of the series is soon to follow, along with the drama cd tracks when appropriate. I just don't want to plan too far ahead and drop support from the VAA if I can't handle managing it.

I made an audition video a while back stating everything I want to do with this, right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4ixvQn6nJ8
(Yes, I edited this to use as an audition video...just stay quiet and the feds will go away...  8D )

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 05:39:15 PM
I don't think I'd make a particularly good voice actor, but I am mildly interested in this project. I'm curious if the fan community actually has suitable voice talents.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 05:42:16 PM
And no Zan, MMZ1 is just the tip of the iceberg.

You realize, right, that when it comes to 1 and 3s drama tracks, you'd be relying on inaccurate translations which weren't done for presentation's sake? I don't think you should stray from the game script.

I don't think I'd make a particularly good voice actor, but I am mildly interested in this project. I'm curious if the fan community actually has suitable voice talents.

You forgot to object.

Offline MadManX

• Robot Master
  • The Fightin' Fef!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 06:19:47 PM
That IS true (as no translation is perfect), I'm just saying the presentation quality could be given a little...oomph. Because, even though conceptually Mega Man Zero is going to be as real as Mega Man will get, the dialogue when said aloud is...clunky, at least. I'm trying to find a middle ground to find what could fit as modern-day conversation, good characterization, and staying truthful to the plot. Granted, some of the drama tracks are only retellings with little "spins" (such as Zero "talking" to Ciel, though it could be mumbling to someone else he imagines). But, there are moments where they explore unexplained events, such as Elpizo's position before the Resistance, and the Elf Wars.

Case in point - the full, unedited english script for MMZ1 here on Gamefaqs: http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/551912-mega-man-zero/faqs/50121

(Also, if at least some of my script ideas do get an approval, hopefully the Zoom-in feature will avoid text boxes  8) )

Also, just a quick statement, all main characters have found a place for MMZ1. However, if you don't mind waiting for MMZ2 for more characters, or coming in for an extra, I'll send you a script right away!

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 06:30:41 PM
If we going to do a fandub, one certain person shouldn't be forgotten. The voice of Zero, Lucas Gilbertson!

Offline MadManX

• Robot Master
  • The Fightin' Fef!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 06:39:08 PM
 >0< The point of this is to get his attention to OFFICIALLY dub this! If Capcom said no to dubbing MMZ, it's not like he can do much. He should be under contract to keep his voicework professional, like everyone else.

Besides, if by luck my 2 guys dropped out and he wanted in, he needs to bring his A-game. This wouldn't be anything cheesy enough like Command Mission, in which even Resident Evil would chuckle. Nope, I want his best! MMX4 fandub cutscene-quality, all the way!

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 06:50:30 PM
He should be under contract to keep his voicework professional, like everyone else.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf-JE2FKD-k[/youtube]

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 07:04:08 PM
Any idea who should voice Dr. Weil/Vile?

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 07:17:53 PM
I wouldn't mind auditioning for that.

For your Zero actor, is he going to be doing a Lucas imitation or his own thing? And are you getting someone different for Omega? Are you even planning this far ahead?

Also, I call Blazin' Flizard. I always enjoyed doing his voice.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline MadManX

• Robot Master
  • The Fightin' Fef!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 07:22:34 PM
Yes...but THAT was already released so many times, Capcom wouldn't give a crap about laying a copyright claim on it. Besides, why do you think he only has one video on his YT page?

Speaking of dubbing MMZ, the point is that if the fandub rose to popularity over the official dub (when they decide to release it) by any other means besides unlicensed voice work and mixing, what would you think they do? Pay reparations to the fandub actors for doing a job well done? Most likely, this would be hunted down and sued to kingdom come. So, legally (unless Capcom manages from the bottom of their heart to use this officially at the last second, which would put strain on my fandub actors), I don't think this would be a good idea. Not to say I wouldn't work with Lucas, given the right conditions (and if he saw the Audition post running 2 months on the VAA  >8| ), but it's a fan dream.

Besides, the guys I managed to rope in aren't that bad for Ameteur VA.

Main VA: Koichi Saito - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nukZigZE40

Understudy: Ry-Guy (Ryan H. Nelson) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-79eHagBuEQ (Best I could come up with besides posting his audition lines here, he's also the lead role for Phantom, and numerous understudies)

This. Is. In good hands.

P.S. Oh shiz, Imma gettin' swamped...LEMME GET A PEN AND PENCIL OMG!! :O

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 07:30:15 PM
Here some Omega Voice Clips requested by me from Lucas.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/12/13/2221944/iamthemessiah.wav

That happened one year and 5 months ago.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 07:39:36 PM
This whole dub thing sounds certainly like a nice idea. How about asking some abridged series voice actors to help? Those guys are talented.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTLbnDhEYKs

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 07:52:27 PM
Saito's voice is perfect for playing "dynamic yet quirky" characters.

Offline MadManX

• Robot Master
  • The Fightin' Fef!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 09:35:11 PM
http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/showthread.php?t=51693

This...was the original audition thread for MMZ1 (if I did the whole series, this would've been suspicious and looks like it will be dropped), beginnning from early March to mid-April. Nobody from MegamanAbridged showed up, but those who did, I salute them. Even though finding the right voice was a tedious task, I know this cast, given time, will play their parts well (and I've been practicing myself for the right Fefnir voice). If anyone would like to hear the full cast, ask and I will give. The only problem I have had is getting the lines in, and me being intimidated by managing and mixing the project by myself.

Considering it, I think asking Lucas Gilbertson as the true form of Omega would be orgasmic, but seeing as his page on Facebook doesn't get checked, I have no way of contacting him.

Finally, this was the plan for how I was going to do these episodes:
1. Play-test for ways to make the experience as story-like as possible (do not exploit glitches in programming, do little things like hint that Zero picked up his pistol rather than have it on himself) before recording
2. Set up a script to go along with the whole gameplay, using editing only as needed to cover mistakes.
3. Once script and footage are made, bundle the script with a download link for the footage to use as reference when sending to the actors. Meanwhile, rip an .mp3 of the movie and use audacity work on inserting the sfx for key moments on a separate .mp3 track, if arranged/custom music will be used.
4. Once all lines are gathered, insert the lines w/ audacity and use Adobe Premiere to insert the music and finalize the movie in a good quality.
Cut, paste, and repeat.

However, since my Zero (Koichi) has not sent me in his lines, and I didn't discover that audacity trick until now, I have kept meek about the project. THIS is why people make fandub groups, not do stuff solo.  X(

After I take care of my own VA work (2 projects right now), I'll start mixing those sfx and improvise the intro scene. I was hoping to find help for mixing, but I guess that's too much to ask. THIS is also why I've posted here, after all this time to do my things.

If you read through this, thank you for listening.   :|

Edit:
I do have plans to hopefully cover the series up until MMZ4, and although I have had thoughts about the main characters (I actually know someone with a good Weil voice, look up AussieRoth7, if I can talk him into it), it's just that I've been slacking on tedious work and yada yada yada...

Well, actually, I feel more confident about doing the mixing! Well, I might take Zan's advice and tone down some of the ideas in favor of doing something more simpler for the intro, but I'll leave the rest in.

Edit 2:
Well, by random stroke of luck, I just found a really cool guy to help on Skype (surprisingly, he sounds a lot like Lucas Gilbertson...but he isn't, and he hasn't even heard of Zero 0.o ), and he's agreed to help mix the sounds. I'm giving him 2 weeks to coincide with my Zero's deadline. Things are looking up!

Edit 3:
As a bonus, for who I have Elpizo in mind, look up JonFawkes. His Zero's...okaaay, but I'd think it's more fitting for a bishounen role. And besides, Lelouch Vi Britannia + Vega/Balrog = Elpizo basically sums him up. Of course, he's in a dubbing group, so I doubt getting him. It's not like I don't have other people...including myself...

*Note: Editing. #1 way to avoid double posting, bitchez! :P

Offline MadManX

• Robot Master
  • The Fightin' Fef!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 08:32:21 PM
Another update, finally...and now, the prologue!
http://www.youtube.com/v/uZq5tvd-0xU&hl=en_US&fs=1&
It's not much, but it'll do for now due to a recent Custom Windows 7 Update (which eliminated PInnnacle Studio, leaving me more time to understand Adobe software). Zero VA Koichi and Ry-Guy still hasn't given me lines, but thanks to spending some time with Adobe Soundboard, I've already mixed the intro running sequence.

So, progress-wise, here's the list:
Video - 100% - for this episode, taking it one episode at a time
Sound - 20% - finished the intro chase scene, and almost scene 1, but planning to cut some lines for something a little easier
Lines - 80% - have plenty of extras, but Zero's missing (Koichi, Ry-Guy...), and a couple others just skipped out (but I have the lines I can work with for them)

As for a deadline, I'm hoping this saturday will be it (At I'll promise I'll put in the sfx are in by then -u-' )

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 09:03:59 PM
Ciel sounds kinda cute, though a little too quiet.

Offline MadManX

• Robot Master
  • The Fightin' Fef!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 09:18:06 PM
Ciel sounds kinda cute, though a little too quiet.
I didn't know how to bump audio while I was making that, and once I did, I made the upgrade. So...  >3<

At least that won't happen when I finally mix the episode! owob

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 10:03:08 PM
Not really feeling Ciel. She doesn't really sound into it, like shes just calmly reading off of a piece of paper.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 10:09:34 PM
I'm actually gonna have to agree.  I think her voice sounds good for Ciel, but perhaps if she just raised her voice a little more, or put a little more emotion into it.  Otherwise, I'm looking forward to this.

Offline MadManX

• Robot Master
  • The Fightin' Fef!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 02:37:17 AM
First episode up!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZeUVmZ1eMs[/youtube]

Now, for some reason, Adobe Premiere CS5 made the video a lot blurrier than it was, even though I used the raw .avi file. If anyone has any explanation, please contact me.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 02:52:23 AM
THAT'S IT

THIS DOOR IS GOING DOWN

That's about where I closed it.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 02:56:51 AM
It ain't bad. There's some cheese, but I like cheese in small doses.