Sky · 17052

Offline MadManX

• Supporter of Everything Epic!
  • Robot Master
  • The Fightin' Fef!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 02:12:01 AM
Besides, X doesn't have the awesome glitches that Zero has, he can hax bosses with his saber glitch in 6 seconds!

Also, Zero (back in his maverick heyday) was Jotaro Kujo and Kratos put in a blender...he's only a bishounen because one power cable liked the back of his head too much. (what do you think that hair's made of?)

Offline Sky

• massive idiot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • for kids
    • View Profile
    • art blog
Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 02:23:38 AM
zero is a viking

squemp

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 03:16:06 AM
X was a pain to use in X6.

But that game doesn't exist so hey.
*gives Ka-Shaymin ZEE UPPERCUT!!*

Now YOU don't exist.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 04:30:30 AM
Gotta admit X6 was pretty terrible though. But, X7. Now THAT'S a game that doesn't exist.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Sky

• massive idiot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • for kids
    • View Profile
    • art blog
Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 04:34:42 AM
Gotta admit X6 was pretty terrible though. But, X7. Now THAT'S a game that doesn't exist.
i liked x7 a little though
i couldn't enjoy x6 at all

"you are the only one is is no one else left to fight"

squemp

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 04:36:39 AM
I like X7... Wind Crowrang's stage is pure RAAAGEE!!! and I still have to play the final stages, but I like it...

*prepares to be crucified*

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 04:52:53 AM
*starts gathering the boards and nails*

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 04:59:20 AM
Would you like the entire crucifixion or just the getting nailed to the cross part?

Personally I never played X7 myself, though I don't think I would enjoy it anyways.
X4 X5 and X6 are the way to go.

Offline MadManX

• Supporter of Everything Epic!
  • Robot Master
  • The Fightin' Fef!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 05:31:30 AM
Well, just to be sure...DON'T. The 3D aspect kills it, you aren't even given a shadow to know where you land! Couple it with a "lock-on" mode, and it's a disaster. Only part I liked about it was Axl and Zero's new type of weapons that you got from bosses.

X6...could've been better, and even though it had some good ideas (enhancement parts, multiple armor sets), the nightmare system shows how shoddy the stage design was.

*pulls out holy water*  -_- I'm armed and I'm not afraid to use this...

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: June 08, 2010, 05:35:46 AM
X7 could have been a great 3D X game if it stuck to being 3D all the time, got a good camera, added some speed to the players, and redid some level segments that were bland and stale. There was so much potential. The graphics and music were really good for the series style too. The actual gameplay physics themselves, like the wall climbing and so forth, were really well done. Just things like Zero being slow as all hell when attacking, and damage being next to nothing, really shot the game down.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 07:26:06 AM
I... I can see all of that actually.

I still like it. There's not much that will make me dislike a game; it would have to be worse than this for me to not like it.

Guess I'm easy to please.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 01:21:09 PM
Zero's been on a date?

Word of Sensei in MMXOCW, yes.
"We also had her [Iris] on a date for the CD illustration."

It would be this one:

I believe the source is X1~X6 Soundtrack booklet.

Offline Girla PurpleHeart

• Sailor Eris
  • B-Class Hunter
  • ~Midna's True Guardian And Duchess of Twilight~
    • View Profile
    • PurpleHeart Palace
Reply #37 on: June 08, 2010, 03:18:51 PM
Actually, when I used X, he's pretty strong, but doesn't have much ability to use it all. Instead, he has to get all elements from the Mavericks to defeat Sigma, which made him stronger. Also, if you collect all the armors, then X would be a lot stronger than before.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #38 on: June 08, 2010, 05:14:59 PM

Hmm... do the holes in her soles mean that she has the ability to dash just like X and Zero?

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: June 08, 2010, 05:19:32 PM
the actual gameplay physics themselves, like the wall climbing and so forth, were really well done.

Except the dash wall jump, you mean.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #40 on: June 08, 2010, 05:43:07 PM
Hmm... do the holes in her soles mean that she has the ability to dash just like X and Zero?

You mean the thrusters? Almost every reploid and his grandmother has one. But it doesn't mean they can dash, only certain ones built for combat, like Agile.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: June 09, 2010, 12:19:14 AM
It would be this one:

I believe the source is X1~X6 Soundtrack booklet.
Correct.  Thanks, Saber, I didn't have the image handy.

Rock's feet say no.

Except the dash wall jump, you mean.
Why you need this in a title with proper air-dash momentum, I will never know.  Not to mention that even without it, anyone who got equipped with Hyper Dash in X5/X6 had to get used to non-dash wall climbing.

Frankly, when it comes to 2-button dashing setups, I'm more concerned with dash-to-dash-jump lag time (MM10, Bass, looking at you).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: June 10, 2010, 04:53:40 PM
isnt X the one with the past SA class weapon that commander sigma was relying on to snipe a giant berserk mechaniloid?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: June 10, 2010, 09:15:32 PM
I recall reading somewhere that the legs contain an air compression system. I assume this the gems at the foot bottom, and is how the robots jump so high, dash, as well as the source of the footstep noise. Would explain Rockman & Forte's jumping noise I suppose.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Sky

• massive idiot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • for kids
    • View Profile
    • art blog
Reply #44 on: June 10, 2010, 09:37:59 PM
gems are vents
makes perfect sense right

squemp

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: June 10, 2010, 10:03:16 PM
I recall reading somewhere that the legs contain an air compression system. I assume this the gems at the foot bottom, and is how the robots jump so high, dash, as well as the source of the footstep noise. Would explain Rockman & Forte's jumping noise I suppose.

It's also how they change their momentum in mid air.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: June 11, 2010, 02:57:20 AM
Always nice to justify game mechanics...

isnt X the one with the past SA class weapon that commander sigma was relying on to snipe a giant berserk mechaniloid?
Yet it was Zero who did the only noteworthy damage prior to Sigma's generator hit.

Missed this last time:
X7, I agree somewhat with OBJECTION MAN's next post, in that it'd have been a lot better if the designers stuck to 3D.  There are a lot of concepts that clash between the two play-modes (auto-lock and Zero's special attacks; jumping slash is NOT for side-scrolling), and the only 2D level design in the game that's worth a damn is Stonekong's.

X6, I found to be extraordinary, but it is really freaking hard so I can understand why such an unapproachable layout doesn't make for the best marketing.  And yeah, the Nightmare system blows, as does Sentsuizan.  Other than those two points, I find the game to be outstanding, having corrected several of X5's flaws (power-up availability, Zero's boss AI, ranking), and demonstrating a core stage layout that goes far deeper than what one traditionally expects from a MegaMan X game.  In no other title can you literally collect everything without defeating a single one of the 8 Mavericks, but at the same time, reaching it all is still tricky enough to be engaging.

Also, the power-up-to-enemy ratio makes the game very unique.  You can tank yourself up to absurd lengths and plow head-first through massive enemy mobs, which I find does an excellent job of conveying the sense that X and Zero are a force to be reckoned with, and makes the battles feel that much larger in scope.

It may not be user-friendly but it is certainly a great experience for those who are willing to put themselves to the test.  I consider X6 to be to MegaMan X what Lost Levels is to Mario.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: June 11, 2010, 03:24:50 AM
Yet it was Zero who did the only noteworthy damage prior to Sigma's generator hit.

That's because X didn't hit the generator, the generator!

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: June 11, 2010, 06:41:56 AM
I'm sorry but deep doesn't describe X6's level design. More like cheap, bullshit, and frustrating. Case in point; putting a lock on pass through wall projectile enemy in a zone where you need to remain crouched or the ceiling will magically crush you. But of course standing up, getting hit, and in some cases, attacking, will stand your ass up and cause you to be insta-killed. The mere fact that they even left in such a bullshit mechanic like that is bad enough, but that's just the beginning of the crap X6 spews from every angle.

X6 has some really bad level segments in some places. It was not thought out at all. It was a failure in level design, and in engaging difficulty. Their idea of difficulty was not particularly skill based, but rather luck of the draw or grind for power-ups till you can just survive the bullshit.

The parts system especially urked me. Getting parts was fine. Yeah OK they could die, that sucks, but it was a repeatable process, and quick to find a few right away. Too bad you cant equip them, until you grind the same damn enemy over and over and over again. Once you collect enough EXP- err nightmare souls, then you can finally equip one [tornado fang]ing part. That is bullshit.

Notice a pattern here? Grinding? Keep that bullshit out of my Megaman X games. So now lets look back. What was so great about X1? No grinding for parts, money, items, etc. It was straight up action, with a little exploration. You find stuff and can equip it right away. No waiting for all 4 parts, or having to grind money or 'souls' before you can even think about using the power-up you just found. It has proper game flow, which X6 can't begin to even think about.

The nightmare system seemed like a good idea on paper, but the next time you decide to randomize an item, or capsule, DONT. I spent nearly a half hour trying to get the capsule in dung beetle's stage.

X6 was almost a complete failure at living up to what makes a Megaman X game good, and in a lot of cases, what makes any game good. Anything it fixed, it turned right around and completely broke in another way.

Then of course, X7 took all these problems and just added more to them. Abysmal.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #49 on: June 11, 2010, 06:44:36 AM
I'm beginning to see that you hate a large majority of things here if they don't match your desires and seemingly go out of your way to criticize them as downright steaming piles of [parasitic bomb].

Then again, my perceptions are usually wrong. So take it with a grain of salt.

That being said, I didn't mind the level design at all; I play the games to play them, not to analyze every single thing about them.