At The Movies With RPM

Protoman Blues · 199455

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #125 on: March 06, 2009, 08:22:59 PM
I'm excited about Star Trek.  I've been a Trek fan since the early 90s and I've heard all the naysayers concerning J.J. Abrams's film.  I could care less about what the fanboys/girls have to say.  I'm looking forward to the ride.

Here are some problems I have with it, thus far:

#1. Time Travel.  It deals with it.  Time Travel + Trek = VERY Iffy

#2. A Star Wars Star Trek film.  Abrams is admittedly not a fan of Star Trek.  He prefers Star Wars.  So, this is basically a Star Wars fan's take on Star Trek, which is a very interesting concept.  *in Gundam Wing Announcer voice* However, Star Trek, in terms of story, is vastly superior to Star Wars, so we'll see how this turns out.

#3. Lack of Ideas. This was the problem I had with Enterprise, which was unwatchable.  They're still going back in time, and NOW they're touching upon already established characters, further showing that the brain trust behind Star Trek lately have completely run out of ideas.  At least Voyager had a great idea...the show just sucked unfortunately.  DS9 was the last truly good Trek show.

*in Gundam Wing Announcer voice* However, even with my gripes with the film, I'm still very much looking forward to seeing it.  The latest trailer looks very nice.

Offline Acrosurge

• Crossover Hunter
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #126 on: March 06, 2009, 09:21:26 PM
PB, you're awesome and I highly respect your opinion.  Know that.   :)

Star Trek as a franchise has reached a critical mass unmatched by any other visual story-universe out there.  You find comics and manga, perhaps, with more continuity, but as television/film creations go, you won't find anything that has covered more stories than Trek.  What new stories do you tell?  What new creative staff do you bring in to tell them?

While J.J. is a Star Wars fan, I trust his ability to tell character-driven stories, which in the end, is the essence of Star Trek.  If that character-core comes with a frosted layer of action, I'm good with it.  Besides, the Federation would school the Galactic Empire in space combat, so that aspect of J.J.'s directorial choices won't bother me.  >BD

I also like the classic characters portrayed by the cast of the 60s.  Be that as it may, I don't mind seeing those same characters again portrayed by different actors.  To be honest, I'm excited to see them again.  I don't insist that Kirk only be portrayed by Bill Shatner, so unless the cast are depicted as wildly different the the characters I knew, I'll still enjoy the ride.

As for time-travel, its hit or miss.  There have been good Trek time-travel stories and bad ones.    Worst case scenario: this whole story takes place as an alternate timeline.  I'll be a little bummed, but still interested in how JJ tells a Trek story.

Enjoy life,
Acrosurge

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #127 on: March 23, 2009, 07:37:09 AM
Last morning (or night).  I finally watched Rock&Rule.

While there are some story flow flaws that might be distracting, but honestly, the characters, animation and special effects are just great in and of itself.  For a movie that had 3 years of script and budget problems (mainly budget problems).  This is honestly a very shiny and colorful and mesmerizing gem of animation~  Period.  Or just watch it for Mok, and Mok alone and practically all the scenes involving Nuke York or Club 666~ VERY immersive and inversive~

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #128 on: April 05, 2009, 01:57:08 AM
Alright. There. I've watched them all.
Ladies and gentlemen, it's time for:

THE FUTURAMA MOVIE REVIEW ROUNDUP
~~~Brought to you by Fishy Joe's~~~

Futurama: Bender's Big Score
Score: 2/5
~This was the first of the four Futurama movies, a revival to the series. Naturally, the writers would find getting back into the groove a bit awkward, but I had no idea when I bought this movie that they would be this far out of practice. Bender's Big Score, aside from time travel and Bender's usual hi jinx, is nothing more than a rushed collection of cameos and gay jokes. It's as if the intention of the movie was to draw in the mainstream crowd, somehow, not realizing that the Futurama name just turns off people for no good reason at all, and that there's probably no reaching out to them. Even so, there were enough sightgags, puns, and general mindplay to make me feel like watching some of the older episodes again. And even with all of those negatives said, it's still passable. But...ugh...just barely.

Futurama: The Beast of a Billion Backs
Score: 3.5/5
And now we're talking. I'm not sure what got the writers' shiny metal asses in gear, but this movie was much better. The movie had a far, FAR larger cameo cast than BBS, but focused more on and better-developed the main and secondary cast, rather than try to force everybody that has a name and career chip into some kind of semi-major role. Now some of the deleted scenes (like the extended Scruffy the Janitor role) should have been kept, but other than that, it got close to the perfect balances of corny humor and outlandish story writing that made the series great.

Futurama: Bender's Game
4.5/5
...then Bender's Game came along and perfected those last traits on top of throwing in preposterous ironies and some long-standing secrets to some of the series' questions that have never been answered. This movie even managed to work in references to other works (and modern culture) without seeming forced. Especially the mock-QVC scene. It's so funny when it hits you, I won't spoil it. Even the characters' actions and expressions do the series justice. Out of the 4 movies, this one is perfection, and you might actually wind up re-watching this one.

Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder
Score: 4/5
And finally, Into the Wild Green Yonder winds down this crazy hayride, hodown, hectic haze of havoc. Granted, it also reminds you how environmentally mental our friends in the entertainment industry actually are, but hey, that's to be expected. It's not like the "green" in 'Into the Wild Green Yonder' is about greenhouse gases or global warming or anything of the sort, it's about...oh wait...that's a spoiler in and of itself. Thankfully, Futurama has a history of showing how both sides of the aisle are wrong in some instances, and that keeps the series alive, instead of being written off as an animated version of "The View" if it had aliens and more males. Back on track, this movie carries on what Bender's Game started and took the already headstrong Leela and made her adorably so, even while she's spouting off such colorful metaphors as MOTHER[hard knuckle]ER, etc. Yes, that's bleeped. ...it's almost a shame; it would be worth hearing. Other than that, just about every genius writing tool Futurama ever used is here, and after a few big surprises, we watch as Planet Express' crew takes a big leap through space. Where they are now is anyone's guess.

Hopefully at the animation studio, gearing up for a new season of shows and a revival. I never have looked at news about the futurama of this great franchise called Future, but I sincerely hope to get some more laughs out of the great animators, writers, and voice actors that radioactively brighten up any day.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #129 on: April 10, 2009, 12:56:57 AM
JUST finished up Hercules (Disney, finished airing). It's too bad they don't use the planetary alignment scenario anymore..

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #130 on: April 10, 2009, 10:35:54 AM
After rewatching Ong Bak 2's fight scenes~

seriously, watch it now

great fights, not a bad story at all, [tornado fang]ing awesome costume work (and in an indian setting), and such beautiful ass kicking.

download it, or buy it bootlegged at your nearby chinatown 8D

Offline Rabid Golf Cart

• Formerly known as Tsuyoshi
  • RPM Explosive Guy
  • Excellent!
    • View Profile
    • It might be tumblin'
Reply #131 on: April 14, 2009, 03:26:51 AM
I must have seen Repo! The Genetic Opera like 50 times in the last month and a half.

Offline Flok

• Passionate Gamer
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Killsringman
    • View Profile
Reply #132 on: April 25, 2009, 06:13:44 PM
I am looking forward to King Shot the most in 2009. Supposedly it will be Jodorowsky's last movie, just consider his current age! And the cast looks very promising, with David Lynch being a producer as well.

Lately I have seen It(1990)(Oh yes, that very nice clown movie!) and Taken(2008), a very good action flick with Liam Neeson.

Flok's favorites:

Offline Sniper X

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #133 on: April 25, 2009, 06:38:30 PM
I watched War of the Worlds... at school. There's a film club. I thought you have to film something but that club is just to watch... at school. Most of the movies are from novels and books (Twilight included). Its like a mini cinema with a medium size TV (sometimes a projector). I got a home cinema at home. I usually watch Smallville with my dad.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #134 on: May 03, 2009, 11:36:39 PM
G.I. Joe: Resolute. That was a good three-hour movie right there, typically since it invovled GI Joe.

Posted on: April 26, 2009, 07:14:06 PM
X-Men Origins is a well-played out action flick, made connections a bit to "Watchmen", with Deadpool. Not going to spoil much, but down the waterfall the crazed running man goes.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #135 on: May 04, 2009, 01:27:01 AM
X-Men Origins: Wolverine is... well, it's not bad at all, until the final section of the movie. The last part just didn't sit well with me whatsoever. Until that point though, not bad at all.

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #136 on: May 04, 2009, 02:22:01 AM
I'd say the Wolverine movie is actually quite... solid and likable.

This is coming from X-men illiterate btw and I didn't even watch the first two X-men movies.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #137 on: May 05, 2009, 08:51:07 AM
I'd say the Wolverine movie is actually quite... solid and likable.

This is coming from X-men illiterate btw and I didn't even watch the first two X-men movies.

You're allowed to like it, especially if you're X-Men illiterate. Nothing wrong with that at all. Hell, I liked it, up until that last bit I mentioned. Just a warning to those who follow Marvel stuff though, there's a chance the last little bit will bug the hell out of you.

Offline borockman

• Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #138 on: May 05, 2009, 08:54:59 AM
I didn't even realized there is Deadpool in that movie. That's how illiterate I am.  XD

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #139 on: May 05, 2009, 08:58:03 AM
You're allowed to like it, especially if you're X-Men illiterate. Nothing wrong with that at all. Hell, I liked it, up until that last bit I mentioned. Just a warning to those who follow Marvel stuff though, there's a chance the last little bit will bug the hell out of you.

What bit? I'm an X-Men illiterate and the last parts still bugged the hell out of me.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline borockman

• Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #140 on: May 05, 2009, 09:00:06 AM
Hmm, btw which last part are we talking about again? end credits?

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #141 on: May 05, 2009, 09:10:25 AM
The facility. Especially who they fight there, and what the film makers did to him. That's all I'm gonna say for spoiler purposes.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #142 on: May 05, 2009, 09:13:34 AM
Yep, that bugged the hell out of me.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline borockman

• Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #143 on: May 05, 2009, 09:15:20 AM
Ah, ok point taken, the last batch of the movie is indeed the worst.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #144 on: May 10, 2009, 06:21:57 AM
Me and Yoshi got back from Star Trek.
personally, I liked it.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #145 on: May 10, 2009, 06:23:37 AM
Me and Yoshi got back from Star Trek.
personally, I liked it.

So do I.  I saw it tonight as well, and I thought it was excellent!

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #146 on: May 10, 2009, 06:28:29 AM
Simon Pegg is an awesome Scotty
also, actual screentime for Pike.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #147 on: May 10, 2009, 06:47:57 AM
Quinto was also a fantastic Spock as well.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #148 on: May 10, 2009, 07:37:06 AM
Here are some problems I have with it, thus far:

#1. Time Travel.  It deals with it.  Time Travel + Trek = VERY Iffy

#2. A Star Wars Star Trek film.  Abrams is admittedly not a fan of Star Trek.  He prefers Star Wars.  So, this is basically a Star Wars fan's take on Star Trek, which is a very interesting concept.  *in Gundam Wing Announcer voice* However, Star Trek, in terms of story, is vastly superior to Star Wars, so we'll see how this turns out.

#3. Lack of Ideas. This was the problem I had with Enterprise, which was unwatchable.  They're still going back in time, and NOW they're touching upon already established characters, further showing that the brain trust behind Star Trek lately have completely run out of ideas.  At least Voyager had a great idea...the show just sucked unfortunately.  DS9 was the last truly good Trek show.

*in Gundam Wing Announcer voice* However, even with my gripes with the film, I'm still very much looking forward to seeing it.  The latest trailer looks very nice.
I actually found DS9 the WORST of all the series'... I really disliked it.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #149 on: May 10, 2009, 07:49:01 AM
I actually found DS9 the WORST of all the series'... I really disliked it.

....Really?  You liked Voyager & Enterprise more than DS9?  Wow.