The Blind Archer · 25371

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #50 on: June 24, 2010, 12:25:34 AM
1. Those 3 start out at much higher levels than the others. The only Laguz that can hope to catch up is Lethe, but then she has lower base stats than Ranulf. And yes, there are people who don't use the Royals but it still doesn't change that while previous FEs might've thrown you one super unit near the end to save the day RD gives you 4 of them.
Given that your team is split into 3 pieces in Part 4 that's kind of a necessity to prevent first-time players from screwing themselves over, something which RD runs a fairly high risk of as it is.  Not to mention the sheer insanity that is Dheginsea.

And believe me, I've Bonus EXP'ed the hell out of Lethe.  She's competent, but even among the non-royals, there are better laguz.

2. Volke is only slightly better than a Whisper
Yes, and I'm "slightly" obsessed with Yoshi.  He's still far more viable.  4 extra strength and +25 critical means a lot on a character who should be double-hitting virtually everything.  Then of course there's the fact that Bane is literally Lethality+Mercy.  I will grant you that most of that is irrelevant against the three Mantle bosses, but it still leaves Volke a LOT more capable than Sothe/Heather against all the rest.  Pretty impressive given the general tendency of non-royal late entries to suck.

Also, on the general strength of knives, Baselard sits at 18; the same as Alondite and Ragnell.  You take a large power drop for a ranged assault with Peshkatz, this is true, but a Whisper dedicated to close combat could do quite well if their Strength caps weren't so horrible.

3. Sigrun is available in one chapter before part 4.

3-11 and 3-E.  Check your sources.

Elincia also gets more versitality due to being able to use staves and gets Amiti in 2-F so she can hold on her own there. Oh and Tanith has better base stats than what Sigrun would have at a similiar level, is only 3 levels away and gets an awesome ability.
Bringing up Tanith only drives home my point, that Sigrun is an example of a character who sucks for reasons other than level/availability.  She's as available as two other non-staff-wielding pegasus riders and amply leveled, but her stats simply do not measure up.  So to claim that the entire cast is over-powered is wrong.

4. Mist starts out at level 1 when the other GMs start out at around level 8 on average
Mist also starts with Florete, a madly powerful and bizarrely light ranged sword, complete with high accuracy and critical.  It plenty compensates for her initial weakness.  The problem is, when your starting weapon strength is only 4 attack strength behind the SS weapons, it doesn't leave much room to grow.  Mist does not have the growth rates to keep up, and even if she did, her Strength cap stops her entirely too early.  Bonus EXP will only make her less of a disaster, but she can NEVER be overpowered (which is quite a shame considering what a beast she could be in PoR with a Sonic Sword).

5. True, but you must admit that the gap between Shinon and the other bow users was much smaller in PoR.
In ease of raising, yes.  I don't think the performance advantage is that drastic, but using an alternative takes more effort.  Then again, Rolf is at least competent to start with, he just doesn't get any lead time over Shinon like he used to.

Instead IS tried to be 'original' and went with an 'epic' story with a 'huge' twist that the dark god was actually part of the good guys and that the goddess you've been all worshipping was actually the bad one. No actually that there was no good or evil in this story, just something about order vs. chaos. Excuse me, but there's a reason why all the most popular fictions all are basically the same dozen or so stories retold and that they all revolve around good vs. evil, so why did IS feel the need to stray away from that, especially since that way they also destroyed everything that PoR established?
The better stories out there tend to challenge the absolute of good versus evil.  Heck, even PoR did to some degree, as virtually the entire storyline centers around conquering racial tension.  For that matter so does MMZ; from day one you're on the side of "Mavericks" fighting against the "hero" of human utopia.  And throughout Z2 and Z3 Harpuia challenges his own beliefs.

Ashera is evil for the same reason that Copy X is: Apathy.  She doesn't question herself and cares nothing for the people under her.  The twist isn't the switcheroo from public perception, as their roles were quite reversed in ancient times when Yune was out of control (and incidentally PoR implies that the "pop" Ashera is invalid; see Stefan's support conversations with Mordecai).  Rather, the twist is that Ashera and Yune are in fact the same person.  In trying to "fix" herself by casting off what was unwanted, she started down a dark path and very nearly sealed the fate of all that she (previously) cared for.

I finished RD within 80 hours while I finished SD within 15.
Hmmmmmmm!
RD is unusually long even by FE standards, and SD is a handheld based on an NES game.  Kinda opposite extremes, as far as FE is concerned.  I said that both are adequate, not that they're comparable.  Simply put, I don't see SD as too short.  I do see it as incomplete, knowing that FE3 on the SFC offered a remake and more (that and even the uneducated know that there's more to the story if they've seen Marth's SSB trophies), but that's not the same thing, and the DS sequel is aimed to fix that anyway.

Then again you put characters on a higher priority than the overall plot so I suppose that's where our opinions differ.
Only because if the characters aren't involved in the plot, it makes the entire gameplay scenario feel unrelated and a lot less compelling.  If you have no attachment to who you're playing as, you have less of a reason to keep playing.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 01:37:24 AM by Hypershell »

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #51 on: June 24, 2010, 12:34:47 AM
If you have no attachment to who you're playing as, you have less of a reason to keep playing.
I'm not trying to get embroiled in this argument. I'm only saying that I agree with this 100%.

And that, in my opinion, it's highly integral to FE. If you don't care about who lives and dies because the characters are as lifeless as units in Advance Wars and still want to play FE, then yes. SD is for you. But you'd probably have more fun with AW.

Okay, I'm done. Carry on.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Ike-Mike

• Protoman: "Nein!"
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: June 24, 2010, 01:05:32 AM
The better stories out there tend to challenge the absolute of good versus evil.  Heck, even PoR did to some degree, as virtually the entire storyline centers around conquering racial tension.  For that matter so does MMZ; from day one you're on the side of "Mavericks" fighting against the "hero" of human utopia.  And throughout Z2 and Z3 Harpuia challenges his own beliefs.

Ashera is evil for the same reason that Copy X is: Apathy.  She doesn't question herself and cares nothing for the people under her.  The twist isn't the switcheroo from public perception, as their roles were quite reversed in ancient times when Yune was out of control (and incidentally PoR implies that the "pop" Ashera is invalid; see Stefan's support conversations with Mordecai).  Rather, the twist is that Ashera and Yune are in fact the same person.  In trying to "fix" herself by casting off what was unwanted, she started down a dark path and very nearly sealed the fate of all that she (previously) cared for.
... wow, I certainly haven't seen it that way. Thanks for clearing that up, since it's my main gripe with Radiant Dawn.

I so see it as incomplete, knowing that FE3 on the SFC offered a remake and more
Though the difference between FE1 and FE3 Book 1 is pretty much the difference between the original Kirby's Dreamland and Spring Breeze.
But then you'll probably use it as an argument that both FE3 books should've been in one game with KSSU as the reason but I personally wanted both halves to be as fleshed out as possible, which is exactly what I'm getting.

And that, in my opinion, it's highly integral to FE. If you don't care about who lives and dies because the characters are as lifeless as units in Advance Wars and still want to play FE, then yes. SD is for you. But you'd probably have more fun with AW.
But AW doesn't have stats, level ups, swords and magic! :P

Yeah, that's the main thing that brought me into FE: I've never played a SRPG before so I was very amazed when playing FE7 that you can take a strategy game and put RPG elements into it and it would actually work so well. Sure, that each character is an individual with a distinct personality might be part of the reason too, but the former left a much bigger impression on me which makes FE my favorite series to this day.

Offline The Blind Archer

• Self-proclaimed jack-of-all-trades of art in training
  • Robot Master
  • I use localised names
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem New Dawn
Reply #53 on: July 17, 2010, 06:30:41 AM
Post-release bump.

FE12 was officially released yesterday in Japan, and there's rumors that sometime next month we'll hear about release dates for NA and other regions.  I don't plan on getting the rom for this, but what I've heard so far about this game just makes it sound awesomer than awesome.  That and some of the new characters, i.e. Roro, look badass.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: July 17, 2010, 05:27:59 PM
I've been checking what limited gameplay info Serenes Forest has.  I'm happy to see that Shadow Dragon's extra characters are returning, and that the sidequest chapters allegedly are now rewards for working quickly rather than for deliberately sucking at the game.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #55 on: March 15, 2012, 11:22:39 AM
WISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3mAnZ40dgI[/youtube]

i dun care how old the last post was, this is relevant. and awesome. :D

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #56 on: March 15, 2012, 06:14:01 PM
I still miss the ultra-snappy animations of the GBA sprites, but this isn't too bad either.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #57 on: March 15, 2012, 08:06:21 PM
I'm just really intrigued by the combo attacks there.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #58 on: October 28, 2012, 06:17:11 AM
*blows on topic*

*chokes for a few seconds on the dust*

ow

anyways

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=n-BB3KbVUYI[/youtube]

all DLC confirmed for NA as well. this made me tear up too, to be honest.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: October 28, 2012, 07:36:47 AM
Not to bait or be a dick or anything, but am I the only person perturbed by strategy games that make absolutely no use of flanking and rear assaults?

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #60 on: October 28, 2012, 07:59:58 AM
Not to bait or be a dick or anything, but am I the only person perturbed by strategy games that make absolutely no use of flanking and rear assaults?
Well this installment has some flanking strategies, in that if you're next to someone they can join in for an extra attack. Which is cool.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: October 28, 2012, 08:30:06 AM
That is cool, but I mean like in Gemfire or Final Fantasy Tactics, where hitting them in the ass is advantageous.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #62 on: October 28, 2012, 10:03:56 AM
Eh, I'm not bugged by it.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: October 28, 2012, 10:06:32 AM
I love running around [parasitic bomb]. Like in Mega Man Legends. Or Beowulf. STONE. Disgaea has lots of moving around. What are newer Fire Emblems like? Are they slow and what-not to be remain classic like?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #64 on: October 28, 2012, 10:08:35 AM
Well FE11 (the first DS one) was horrible and ignored most of the advances Radiant Dawn and the preceding ones brought. Seriously, no support conversations? wtf?

But they're more fast-paced, or so it seems to me. Then again, I usually have my characters set to fast movement.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: October 28, 2012, 10:15:47 AM
Is that where they look like little ants grabbing little ant eggs from what was once under the rock?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #66 on: October 28, 2012, 10:22:43 AM
wat

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: October 28, 2012, 10:28:16 AM
like moving really fast

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #68 on: October 28, 2012, 10:38:35 AM
yeah, they do.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: October 28, 2012, 10:43:15 AM
incredible

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: October 31, 2012, 03:30:53 AM
Fire Emblem has a variety of options in terms of how quickly you want the gameplay to go (movement speed, attack animations, and such).  I find the general pacing to be slow, but that's because I think a lot, and generally don't play a lot of strategy games, so yeah.

For the record, I agree with Zomirby; Shadow Dragon was pretty horrid compared to Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn.  Despite the shiny visuals it's still evident, from a story/narrative standpoint, that it is based off of an NES game (further most of its new content is a reward for deliberately sucking at the game).  Nevertheless I was still hoping that FE12 would make it here, as it looked to have improved on many of those weaknesses, but it seems Nintendo fell to the "if the franchise stumbles just let it die" mentality during that timeframe.  I guess that's what we call hacking-bait, eh?

I never saw it as odd in Fire Emblem because the combat takes place among individual soldiers, and a single human being (and I assume dragon/cat/whatever) can turn around very easily.  Flanking is something that affects the group, not the individual.

So while there is no "directional" modifiers for the individual battles, formation in terms of your team in general is of course very relevant.  You can get "flanked" in the sense that a unit at the edge of your line is vulnerable from more angles, therefore is liable to take more attacks in a single turn and die.  This is something you need to be conscientious of throughout the Fire Emblem games, and ESPECIALLY Radiant Dawn.  There's a lot of emphasis on terrain as well, including Radiant Dawn offering bonuses for elevation (IE; attacking someone from atop a ledge).

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #71 on: October 31, 2012, 04:42:21 AM
Fire Emblem has a variety of options in terms of how quickly you want the gameplay to go (movement speed, attack animations, and such).  I find the general pacing to be slow, but that's because I think a lot, and generally don't play a lot of strategy games, so yeah.

For the record, I agree with Zomirby; Shadow Dragon was pretty horrid compared to Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn.  Despite the shiny visuals it's still evident, from a story/narrative standpoint, that it is based off of an NES game (further most of its new content is a reward for deliberately sucking at the game).  Nevertheless I was still hoping that FE12 would make it here, as it looked to have improved on many of those weaknesses, but it seems Nintendo fell to the "if the franchise stumbles just let it die" mentality during that timeframe.  I guess that's what we call hacking-bait, eh?
I never saw it as odd in Fire Emblem because the combat takes place among individual soldiers, and a single human being (and I assume dragon/cat/whatever) can turn around very easily.  Flanking is something that affects the group, not the individual.

So while there is no "directional" modifiers for the individual battles, formation in terms of your team in general is of course very relevant.  You can get "flanked" in the sense that a unit at the edge of your line is vulnerable from more angles, therefore is liable to take more attacks in a single turn and die.  This is something you need to be conscientious of throughout the Fire Emblem games, and ESPECIALLY Radiant Dawn.  There's a lot of emphasis on terrain as well, including Radiant Dawn offering bonuses for elevation (IE; attacking someone from atop a ledge).
That FE12 translation patch is nearin' completion, btw.

Also all that stuff is great stuff. And, again, support conversations. <3

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: October 31, 2012, 06:48:20 AM
You're full of [parasitic bomb]. Koei's Gemfire uses flanking and rear assaults, and that game deals with armies, except in the case of special units.

And what about any military strategy ever? Tywin Lannister is all like "Aggravate their flanks, but do not engage them" and Jaime Lannister gets captured from a rear and flanking assault. Also horses trump footmen.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #73 on: October 31, 2012, 07:45:57 AM
You're full of [parasitic bomb]. Koei's Gemfire uses flanking and rear assaults, and that game deals with armies, except in the case of special units.

And what about any military strategy ever? Tywin Lannister is all like "Aggravate their flanks, but do not engage them" and Jaime Lannister gets captured from a rear and flanking assault. Also horses trump footmen.
To be fair, it is one-on-one combat (or in this, two-on-one), and if you only have a single foe coming at you in armor (which makes noise) you tend to hear them in time to react accordingly. Also, you're moving one troop at a time. The concept of flanking, which requires multiple troops to move at once, is somewhat irrelevant to the gameplay when you're only moving one character at a time.

just one

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: October 31, 2012, 08:45:14 AM
In that case I would like to bring up Tactics. An individual can catch an individual FLATFOOTED (an advanced nerd term), which allows him a greater chance to exceed the target's armor class, which in Tactics correlates to a higher success chance.