Mega Man 7, Mega Man 8, and Mega Man & Bass: The worst games in the series?

Krazy Monkey · 19142

Offline Splash

• B-Class Hunter
  • Something here?
    • View Profile
I really don't like how 8, 3, and 2 to a lesser extent have broken cycles.
Well... Rockman 2 has single not broken cycle
Metal>Bubble>Heat>Wood>Air>Crash>Flash>Quick>Metal

http://quickmaster-exe.deviantart.com/
I like to draw... NOT!
Seriously.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
I wasn't aware people didn't like 7, 8, or MMB. I love 8 and MMB and hold them as two of my favorites. 7's pretty fun also. I mean [tornado fang], do these people not expect games to evolve?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I wasn't aware people didn't like 7, 8, or MMB. I love 8 and MMB and hold them as two of my favorites. 7's pretty fun also. I mean [tornado fang], do these people not expect games to evolve?
Yes.

But then again the main beef of this came from that one Mega Man 9 (or was it 10?) article on IGN... So yeah...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
On the same note, I don't see what's so blasphemous about having a favorite style of presentation. I acknowledge flaws in every Mega Man game. Just because I prefer 8-bit doesn't mean I'm a blind retro trash lover. There are merits there.

And the series has evolved already. Into Mega Man X, then Legends, then Zero, then ZX.

Offline BaconMan

• Robot Master
  • Get Equipped With Bacon Slice
    • View Profile
 [objection!]

Everybody knows the worst was the first.

The GutsMan canyon. The disappearing block traps. The Footholders. The nigh-inescapable FireMan traps. The exact-frame fire-freezing, and those oddbal upward jumps to make in a single tile-width of a gap.

O:< BIG EYE. (Logic: Way harder to beat than any robot master.)

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
YEAAHHHHH!  You had to LEARN the game, and EARN your stage clear!

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
The footholders are evil...EVIL I tell ya

Offline KyoKusanagi

• I was an engineering major in college until I learned engineering had nothing to do with trains.
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
I have to agree that the first Megaman game is probably the worst, given that it is the most frustrating.

When I played it for the first time, I thought the music was screeching into my ears. (I'll hand it to you that the Famicom/NES was relatively new at the time, given that the game was made in 1987.)

I don't appreciate the vertical level design either.

I know some friends of mine who didn't like Megaman 9's graphics, (why so IGNorant?) wanting it to be more like Megaman 8 or something a whole lot more.

I like Megaman 7, 8 and MM&B. I just wish there was a Playstation version of MM&B. If anything, MM&B succeeded in making a difficult Megaman game with the charge shot. That deserves praise. Also because of a playable Bass.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
What you want to do to avoid frustration is to start with CutMan.  His level is overall pretty weaksauce in terms of difficulty, but it has one of the best songs in the game.  Then you beat ElecMan, where the Rolling Cutter makes everything much easier.  Once you have Thunder Beam, re-play ElecMan to obtain the Magnet Beam.  Then you can keep going in weakness order, using the Magnet Beam to make crossing pits easy.  By the time you're actually forced to use Magnet Beam, you will have had plenty of practice with it.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
8 is awesome.  Rush was utilized excellently.  Unlike 7 and B's damn Rush Search...

Seriously, I hate the concept of digging for invisible items.  Doesn't belong in a MegaMan game.  MM&B, though challenging, was enjoyable.  7, same deal (that last capsule and Burst Man are both hell).  Of the three I consider 7 the weakest, but by no means bad.  I just think that there's too much that detracts from its focus.

Here I go being blunt again, but it can't be avoided. The reason why people hate Mega Man 7, 8, and Bass, is because they're not NES or NES-styled (like 9 and 10). That's the reason. People give a lot of bullshit reasons, but that's the real reason.
Bull's-eye.

Well... Rockman 2 has single not broken cycle
Metal>Bubble>Heat>Wood>Air>Crash>Flash>Quick>Metal
Crash Bomber is not really practical against ANY boss save the Wily cannons.  And Metal Blade scores powerful damage against half the bosses in the game.  I'd say that's broken enough, even if not in the same way as other titles.

The "broken" cycles that are segmented, I think add a nice touch.  Not saying I want to see them in EVERY game, but they can be nice to shake things up once in a while.  X5 actually could have benefited from it, I think, seeings how a full-8 weapon cycle with the stages divided into two distinct goals creates a very obvious preferred order.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline X-3

• ???
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
I liked 7, but didn't find 8 all that fun, strangely enough. I haven't played much of MM&B, so I can't really say much about that.

I seem to rail on 6 a lot, so I guess I think that's the worst.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Crash Bomber is not really practical against ANY boss save the Wily cannons.

It's more of an indirect hit weapon. But, even including that knowledge,the weakness chain is all over the place; it's more effective on QuickMan than FlashMan.

The "broken" cycles that are segmented, I think add a nice touch.  Not saying I want to see them in EVERY game, but they can be nice to shake things up once in a while.  X5 actually could have benefited from it, I think, seeings how a full-8 weapon cycle with the stages divided into two distinct goals creates a very obvious preferred order.

I honestly think that X5 should never have shown the second set of stages until after the Enigma firing. There's little to no plot excuse to enter these stages beforehand, other than to label the Hunters as pricks that kill innocents over items they don't need yet.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
It's more of an indirect hit weapon. But, even including that knowledge,the weakness chain is all over the place; it's more effective on QuickMan than FlashMan.
I didn't say "not strong", I said, "not practical".  The delay between impact and explosion for indirect attacks is too long to aim it reliably, not to mention the obvious slow-down with time elapsed to damage done; for any such boss you're better off picking a different weapon.

I honestly think that X5 should never have shown the second set of stages until after the Enigma firing. There's little to no plot excuse to enter these stages beforehand, other than to label the Hunters as pricks that kill innocents over items they don't need yet.
Perhaps story-wise that is true, but X5 has enough issues with item and armor availability without restricting stage entry.  Plus it's frustrating for those players whose special weapon focus is more on general usefulness than on boss weaknesses, if they have their eye on one of the later four (though I doubt that's terribly likely in X5).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline RockmanHalo

• Just a regular Cleveland...
  • Net Navi
  • Polackman
    • View Profile
I liked 7, though the changes to the buster were awkward and the sounds kind of irked me. I loved 8, though. Strangely enough, however, I found MM&B to be the least fun out of all of the original series since I couldn't for the life of me position a jump right.
Ever.

Talk. Fast.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Personally I liked Mega Man 7 and 8 (Mega Man 8 was the only game that I've finished, though), though I was frustrated to death with Mega Man & Bass. 7 and 8 did give you a reason to explore these stages to find hidden items and power-ups that you'd normally miss because the inability to go back to those stages in the earlier NES Mega Man games. Mega Man 7 and 8 I consider to be "good" while I consider Mega Man & Bass to be "bad" because the gameplay just reminds me of how flawed Mega Man X6 was. -_-

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Mmm.. I think thats a bad comparison...

Megaman and Bass is an example of a game that was explicitly made with Bass in mind, and almost no thought given to how Megaman would traverse it.

X6 is an example of challenging level design. and its a welcome challenge too. Its not "flawed" its just HARD. Spikes do that.
whats "flawed" is the way the nightmare was implemented. It could have been much better done, but instead they opted for frustrating blinds and such. Otherwise, its doable as either X or Zero.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Superjustinbros

• It's me.
  • Resistance Member
  • Something
    • View Profile
    • Super Justin: The Blog
*scratches head*

I never played MM&B, but I thought 7 and 8 were alright entries in the series, although I preferred the eighth much more because all the new stuff that was introduced into the seventh (such as larger-looking Robot masters), seemed to not do well for me.  :\

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Megaman and Bass is an example of a game that was explicitly made with Bass in mind, and almost no thought given to how Megaman would traverse it.
*cough*burnermansstage*cough*

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
I never had any real trouble traversing MM&B as Rock.  In fact the bosses are generally easier with him thanks to the charge shot.  However, I will say, the battle with King's air ship does feel a little cheap (though not as much so as, say, Burst Man) due to the fact that it's basically impossible to either prevent or recover from damage knockback.  Bass's double jump gives him more leeway, but Rock, even with extra platforms, is a sitting duck if struck in mid-air.

...I consider Mega Man & Bass to be "bad" because the gameplay just reminds me of how flawed Mega Man X6 was. -_-
*UPPERCUT!!*

Sorry, reflex action.  I know X6 isn't approachable, but that makes it hard, not flawed.  There's a difference.  Flawed would be X5, when nobody stopped to consider if Zero could get the Life Ups, or if someone might actually want to try Gaia Armor before all 8 bosses are defeated.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
I still haven't fought Burnerman as Mega because the instant-death napalm section is almost impossible to complete as him. Though, I'm not sure whether or not it's difficult to get to safety in time with Mega single-jump, or if I just suck too hard.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
I found X6 to be easier than X5...

Then again, the damn X vs. Zero fight is pretty hard, imo...

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
...I sincerely hope you are referring to playing as X.  Because as moronic as Zero's boss AI is, you at least have the excuse of Shin Messenko being difficult to dodge without jumping over his head, and fairly frequently spammed.  Fighting UA X is a cakewalk, I've stalled against him long enough to force the music to restart.  Twice in one battle.  

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Yes, playing as X.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
I still haven't fought Burnerman as Mega because the instant-death napalm section is almost impossible to complete as him.
You know, I never had a problem there.  Certainly no more so than I did as Bass against that worm miniboss.  Guess that makes me feel big.  *shrugs*

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Neither did I.

Now Bass vs. that obscene thing King uses with the obvious phallic symbol... I have trouble with that one. Then again, it may be because I ran out of a certain weapon.