Should MM11 (if it's made) be 8Bit?

CyberXIII · 18997

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: April 02, 2010, 05:13:17 AM
And he'll be the only one who doesn't die in that game.

Offline DjKlzonez

• B-Class Hunter
  • Once a year
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: April 02, 2010, 05:40:39 AM

That would make a good game

Steam       Youtube

Offline Krazy Monkey

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: April 13, 2010, 07:50:11 PM
Wow. This is one of the rare occasions where I come across someone who doesn't hate Super Paper Mario. Despite what people say about that game, I thought it was good. Extraordinarily good, in fact. It had good gameplay, an awesome soundtrack, an epic storyline, you name it. The only problem I had with it, is that the bosses were little to no challenge (that also goes for the final boss).

Offline Henger83

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: August 13, 2010, 02:05:24 AM
The retro-style of MM2 is pretty cool, but I wouldn't mind seeing something with 7 or 8's graphics. You can do so much more with 16 and 32-bit graphics when creating sprites.

&

Well, I would be fine with Wily Wars style

I agree with both of you. I also agree with the people stating that graphics don't make a good game. But that does not mean that a good game should have sub-par graphics. Especially with the tools game developers have now.They are not limited like they were back in the days of the NES. You should not limit what can be done with Mega Man now. Look at the powerful hardware consoles we have now. Why do people want new games to look exactly like an NES? I was annoyed that Capcom choose to do 9 in NES style. Then when I found out that they took out the slide and charge shots, I was pissed. o//////o It should have been an option to play with them or not. But to completely remove them was -AC Playing MM9 was like playing Mega Man 2 part 2. Not that the game was bad but still. It's too many steps backwards.

Actually what Capcom should do for newer Mega Man games is include both retro style graphics (I'd prefer 32 bit style) AND new HD animation and provide an option as to which style you want to play in (that's what they should have done for 9 and 10 which should have had at least the graphics of the two arcade games). Kind of like what Nintendo did with the Game & Watch Gallery Games for the Gameboy Color. Or Better yet, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix. That's how they should make Mega Man. That would be  0v0  *o* And the game would be great as well, it doesn't have to be crappy. Now tell me you wouldn't want Mega man like that?

He's not the only one who will rant.
It's a downright terrible idea.

Why cant we get something like this?

Or this? (which keeps a similar character display style to the 8 bit)

Wow  *o* where are those images from?

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: August 13, 2010, 02:10:06 AM
Wow  *o* where are those images from?
http://orioto.deviantart.com/

also, you bumped a topic, whine whine, etc etc.

Offline Henger83

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: August 13, 2010, 02:31:10 AM
Thanks  owob There's quite som enice artwork.
I didn't notice the date.  :o There aren't that many new topic in the RM original section anyway.

I sound like I'm whinning? o-O

All I'm saying is that a good game can have graphics as well. People are heavily implying like a MM game can only be good if it's done in NES style. Look at Maverick Hunter X, I know if Mega Man 2 was remade in that style with the game play intact, people would see newer graphics won't ruin a MM game. That's all.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: August 13, 2010, 02:33:38 AM
I sound like I'm whinning? o-O
Hah, no. I was being satirical of the general response to necroposts.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: August 13, 2010, 02:38:03 AM
sub-par graphics

8-bit does not equal "automatically sub-par".

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: August 13, 2010, 02:47:06 AM
Should switch from 8 bit to 16 bit to 32 bit

Offline Henger83

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: August 13, 2010, 02:58:09 AM
Well MM9 graphics were the best 8 bit style graphics I've ever seen. And I know if the game as it is now was released back then on the NES, it would be well praised for it graphics even now. But, the hardware that it runs on now can handle so much better. Why limit the game like that? It's way below what the hardware can handle.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: August 13, 2010, 03:01:48 AM
Why limit the game like that? It's way below what the hardware can handle.

Look up "Retraux".

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: August 13, 2010, 03:02:35 AM
Well MM9 graphics were the best 8 bit style graphics I've ever seen.

Play more Rockman5 and Rockman6.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: August 13, 2010, 03:04:54 AM
Oh fun, this topic's back

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #63 on: August 13, 2010, 03:39:22 AM

Rock is not happy one bit...

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #64 on: August 13, 2010, 03:43:41 AM

Rock is not happy one bit...

1b4 Akira Yamato.

Eh, the reason why I think games are also going back to the beginning is the lack of origional material these days. I belive they kinda stopped after ZXA and Starforce. It's also why movies are being remade into thwee-dee.

I'm not very suprised about the gravedig either, it seems to be as common as topic derail these days.  -_-

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Henger83

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: August 13, 2010, 04:05:57 AM
Look up "Retraux".

Stuff like that should be optional. It's like a kid saving enough money to buy an HD TV and then buying an analogue black & white one instead and forgetting the HD one altogether. You can do that but it's not for everyone. I have a fondness for the classic series but I don't want the new games to look like that. Some people do. Which is fine.  But that shouldn't stop new games from looking much better than an NES game.

It can be done better, why settles for less? It's things like that, that some game companies use against the consumer. They can say stuff like "We need a new game. Oh, just make something really quick and slap mega man all over it. As long as he's on it people will be happy. They'll buy it." It's because of stuff like that  that a great thing only turns out to be a slightly okay thing or worse.

Play more Rockman5 and Rockman6.

Hmmm, the actual in game artwork (such as the ending pictures) in part 9 look better than anything in part 5 or 6. That's what i was referring to in terms of graphics. I should have mentioned that. Part 6 did look very nice while you're actually playing.

Oh fun, this topic's back

I had to do it. ;)  It really bothers me many people (not just here) want new MM games in 8-bit style. We can have both old and new damn it. Why settle for retro only? Or use the Sega Genesis style graphics from the Wily Wars at the very least (and I wasn't a Sega fan back then mind you).

As for the grave digging, I guess it's because something that should have been fixed wasn't but still can but no one is willing to or they have no idea how. Originality, everything is a copy of something else in one form or fashion, directly or indirectly. It's in our nature to do that. You and I may think the same idea but not reveal it to each other but that does not mean one copied off the other. Some of the thing we do now can appear to be new to us just because we are not aware they have been done before.

VixyNyan, very cool sig owob

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: August 13, 2010, 04:10:43 AM
Hmmm, the actual in game artwork (such as the ending pictures)

Those can't actually be done on NES, though.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: August 13, 2010, 04:14:04 AM
Stuff like that should be optional. It's like a kid saving enough money to buy an HD TV and then buying an analogue black & white one instead and forgetting the HD one altogether. You can do that but it's not for everyone. I have a fondness for the classic series but I don't want the new games to look like that. Some people do. Which is fine.  But that shouldn't stop new games from looking much better than an NES game.

It can be done better, why settles for less? It's things like that, that some game companies use against the consumer. They can say stuff like "We need a new game. Oh, just make something really quick and slap mega man all over it. As long as he's on it people will be happy. They'll buy it." It's because of stuff like that  that a great thing only turns out to be a slightly okay thing or worse.
Because money. Making it the way you are suggesting, would essentially be making two games. One of which would be harder to make. at that point, they might as well either just make two separate games, or make one or the other. And when it comes down to one or the other, they would go not only with the cheaper one, but the one people are most likely to easily accept.

I had to do it. ;)  It really bothers me many people (not just here) want new MM games in 8-bit style. We can have both old and new damn it. Why settle for retro only? Or use the Sega Genesis style graphics from the Wily Wars at the very least (and I wasn't a Sega fan back then mind you).

Its honestly 2 things.
1. personal preference,(such as how important the look/graphics are to you,)
and
2. (posibbly the most important) what era you grew up in.

Many people grew up with 8 bit Megaman. I mean, there were 6 8 bit games, and only 2 that were higher graphics. 8 bit defined many peoples childhoods, and some of them shunned the newer ones like 7 or 8. (there seems to be lots of 8 hate for some reason)

So its only natural that given the option of more childhood nostalgia, they would choose that. And Capcom knows that. they know that it will sell. Why risk it all when youve got a formula that not only does Inafune want to revisit, but a portion of the fanbase does as well?

I myself grew up in the 90's. So I grew up with the PSX Megaman Era. THAT was what defined my "Megaman Childhood". So Im more biased towards it, and I can understand how older gamers feel about their NES megaman childhood.

The only real difference though, is I would actually prefer new graphics over retuning to older ones, (that includes the PSX ones)

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: August 13, 2010, 04:19:35 AM
Why settle for retro only?

Costs.

Also, 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit Megaman don't just look different, they play different--someone can word it better than I can, I'll bet, but their individual aspects (graphic sizes, etc.) mean that you can't just flip a switch between them without problems.

As for the grave digging, I guess it's because something that should have been fixed wasn't but still can but no one is willing to or they have no idea how. Originality, everything is a copy of something else in one form or fashion, directly or indirectly. It's in our nature to do that. You and I may think the same idea but not reveal it to each other but that does not mean one copied off the other. Some of the thing we do now can appear to be new to us just because we are not aware they have been done before.

...What does this spiel about originality have to do with necroposting that adds nothing substantial or relevant?

Hate to sound rude, but my "graphics whore" senses are tingling.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #69 on: August 13, 2010, 04:21:51 AM
Voice Acting is (partially) responsible for 8's hate, and the fact it was on a non-nintendo console, I can tell ya, Mega's birthplace. And because the move from the SNES to PSX was a risky move, I think a lot of fans did not like that one bit. So MM9 and 10 is sort of a "return home" kind of game, since the Wiimote setup makes you think you were playing an NES during gameplay, thus, nostalgia.

Evolution does take risk too, look at Sigma. Although a game character, how he went with Evolution was risky, being "killed" in a record of eight (ten if you count the GB games) times. you can see the dangers of evolution there.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: August 13, 2010, 04:29:14 AM
Next time someone opens a thread like this I'll ban every single one who posts in it.