Rick · 8631

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 11:45:13 AM
Shakespeare is a given for high school.  It's like a right of passage.  My school did the usual, Romeo & Juliet and Hamlet.  I read Macbeth and A Midsummer Night's Dream on my own time. 

As for books...  Can't help you there.  Most of what I read is science-fiction/fantasy.  I'd suggest making everyone read the Budayeen trilogy by George Alec Effinger (When Gravity Fails, A Fire in the Sun, and Exile's Kiss).  It's an enjoyable cyberpunk.  There's some sex in it, but it's not graphically depicted and there was sex in Like Water for Chocolate and my teachers were okay with it.

As for gaining the respect of the class...  Never fart in class.  Ever.  You will lose their respect in an instant.  My instructor for my graphics class farted and we never let her live it down.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 12:08:51 PM
For the love of god, keep them away from The Giver if they've managed to avoid it already.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 09:55:22 PM
Let me give you another piece of advice, young one.  Living with friends can possibly end REALLY badly.  You know those little quirks you just mentioned?  Those are quirks you see when you hang out with them either in or outside of school.  However, when you hang out with them you have that "buffer zone" which allows you to still remain friends with them and get along with them, somewhat.  If you live with them, that buffer zone will be gone.  You will be dealing with those quirks day in and day out, and at first it won't seem like much, but then they will start to compound upon each other and soon you might start to see even more quirks.  It goes both ways too, whereas they might start to notice your quirks more too.

This is just one of many scenarios though.  For all I know, you could be ever closer friends because of it.  For me though, I love my friends, but I'd never live with them.
Yeah I had a feeling that's what would happen, besides I wasn't even counting on this plan to come into fruition anyway.

Oh, I'd still bring it up though.  Again, I'm a wise-ass.  I was all throughout high school and I still am today.  What I would do is literally not only bring it up, but FLAUNT the award in her face and state "You say I need to become a 'functioning' member of society, yet this award says 'Outstanding Participation' on it.  So according to this award, clearly I'm not the problem here!"
Oh I don't know I may have a big ego, but I ain't a jerk.

So what, you think if a girl starts crying in class the teacher should just ignore it? This isn't trying to force conformity, it's trying to help someone who, tbh, appears to have social problems. Because those are kind of bad.

Buuuuuut whatever this is completely off topic and it's not like either of us has the full story anyway so whatever y'know whatever whatever. Rick, give your students awards, see if you can troll the other teachers. [parasitic bomb]'ll be awesome.
For the first one I agree that if someone is crying it shouldn't be ignored, but at the same time it doesn't seem right to get a parent involved if the problem is already solved.

For the second I'm really sorry for making this go off topic.  When I get upset I tend to bottle it up until I can't take it anymore, until I'm with someone I can talk to, or if a certain catalyst makes me react when I shouldn't really.  Anyway what I guess I should of said is whatever you do, Rick, don't be like my Spanish teacher.

Avoid Lord of the Flies. That book bored me to tears.
I agree with this 100%.  Not was I so bored with it but the book it's self is so messed up.  I mean I honestly think that the kids that maneged to make it off the island alive will definitly be scared for life and learned a very important lesson in life that they shouldn't learn so fast.  I honestly think that the book would of been so much better if the cast were teenagers or adults and not grade school kids.  And man did I feel sorry for Piggy he so didn't deserve to die.

For the love of god, keep them away from The Giver if they've managed to avoid it already.
I actually liked The Giver but it's really something thay should of read in Jr. High, like I did.

Though one thing I would highly recommend is if they have to read Oedipus the King don't spoil the entire thing before they read the book, even though that's how it was done in ancient times before the people of old went to see the play about it, it ruined the entire thing for me espcially since Greek Myths are one of my favorite subjects.  And also make sure that the books you give them don't have authors notes and summeries right smack dab in the middle of the book I mean that was just so annoying.

I also didn't really like Fahrenheit 451 a lot since it didn't have enough action, drama, or complete and utter rejection of the society and honestly the ending sucked for me, but that's just my opinion of the book so just give them whatever books you think they should read.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Kit

• #1 wizard of disappearing
  • Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
Reply #28 on: February 28, 2010, 10:12:53 PM
READ FRANKENSTEIN AND BEOWULF
INCLUDE BODY PARTS FOR FRANKENSTEIN AND SWORDS FOR BEOWULF
BE DRAMATIC
???
PROFIT

they dont think it be like it is but it do

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: February 28, 2010, 10:17:27 PM
I tried reading Frakenstien myself in Jr. High for a book report, because for some reason that teacher thought it was a good idea to have one almost ever single month, and I just couldn't understand it and BSed the report and somehow got a decent grade on it if I remember right since I got A's and B's on that year for final grades.  I only recommend that and Beowolf if the class you're teaching is a senior class.

Offline Kit

• #1 wizard of disappearing
  • Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
Reply #30 on: February 28, 2010, 10:26:49 PM
I tried reading Frakenstien myself in Jr. High for a book report, because for some reason that teacher thought it was a good idea to have one almost ever single month, and I just couldn't understand it and BSed the report and somehow got a decent grade on it if I remember right since I got A's and B's on that year for final grades.  I only recommend that and Beowolf if the class you're teaching is a senior class.

Well yeah this was my senior english teacher but she was amazing!

they dont think it be like it is but it do

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: February 28, 2010, 10:36:10 PM
Well yeah this was my senior english teacher but she was amazing!
Yeah I really didn't mind the book reports too much, I just chose the wrong books.  Plus my teacher wanted us to read almost every single genre out there, Survival, Mystry, Biography, Horror, Play, Fantasy etc.  Luckly in the middle of the second trimester she became a Guidance Counsler so some of them we didn't have to do and I was glad for it.  I should of went to the school library for some books instead of have my mom recommend some to me, because most of the books in the house library are really complex for a person in Jr High to early High School if reading isn't one of your main intrests.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #32 on: February 28, 2010, 11:46:34 PM
Ooh, if you read Frankenstein, get the big hardbound felt-cover edition with the illustrations by the ever-awesome Bernie Wrightson!  Simply a gorgeous book.

And since we're on the subject of vintage sci-fi...  Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde.  Sure, everyone knows the story, but it's still a really great read. 

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: February 28, 2010, 11:50:11 PM
Ooh, if you read Frankenstein, get the big hardbound felt-cover edition with the illustrations by the ever-awesome Bernie Wrightson!  Simply a gorgeous book.
That does sound awesome.  I only have a paper back that breaks really easily, probably because it's an old book.  This is why I prefer hard backs.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #34 on: March 01, 2010, 12:51:33 AM

Seriously worth looking into.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: March 01, 2010, 12:53:07 AM
That just looks awesome.

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: March 01, 2010, 12:53:23 AM
I certainly didn't expect that kind of caption. XD

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: March 01, 2010, 03:30:13 AM
For Shakespeare, try acting it out too. Or have them do it like a play.

For poetry, try Edgar Allan Poe. Lol, one of my Middle school teachers,(a young history one) did a little performance for us, where he acted out The Raven. robe and candle and everything.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: March 01, 2010, 05:09:52 AM
How about The Dark Knight Returns?

Offline Trask

• Laid-back and easy-going
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoot to thrill...
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: March 01, 2010, 05:24:41 AM
If you have to cover research papers, here's a little idea from my freshman year of high school.  My English teacher put together this little research project we had to do called "I-Search."  She fixed together a packet giving step-by-step instructions for writing a research paper.  The kicker was that we could pick anything we wanted to research (barring her approval) and we had to talk about our project for eight minutes in front of the class.  Costumes were encouraged and anything that could add excitement to the project was definitely encouraged.  The projects I remember seeing ranged from fashion shows to guitar companies.  I did mine on Jimi Hendrix.  I dressed up in his Woodstock outfit and brought my electric guitar and amp to school to play Foxy Lady...and talk about his history, of course. XD

That's just an idea.  You can take what you want from it.

Offline Rick

• Je ne sais pas?
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
    • Debug Modes & Unused Stuff
Reply #40 on: March 01, 2010, 10:10:54 PM
No worries, Sakura. I have an 'everybody can do it!' attitude and I plan to mix it with fun.

As far as some stories go, I'm thinking of tossing in a Poe story (probably The Cask of Amontillado), An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce, and possibly The Ransom of Red Chief by O.Henry. I'm thinking for a major assignment to be a "How-to" paper and turning it into a demonstrative speech, as a composition exercise.

Any thoughts?

Offline Mimic

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: March 06, 2010, 05:06:26 AM
Avoid novel studies on books more than 10 years old.  This generation needs excitement and quite frankly, The Crysalids and To Kill a Mocking Bird are lacking.  Don't get me wrong; I'm sure they were great books for their time, but that's exactly my point:for their time.

Back from the Great Beyond

January 7 2010.  The happiest day in the history of the interwebs.

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: March 06, 2010, 05:08:54 AM
I'd give advice, but you're teaching high school students, and the only solution I have involves [twin slasher]

Offline Rick

• Je ne sais pas?
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
    • Debug Modes & Unused Stuff
Reply #43 on: March 07, 2010, 07:54:13 PM
Avoid novel studies on books more than 10 years old.  This generation needs excitement and quite frankly, The Crysalids and To Kill a Mocking Bird are lacking.  Don't get me wrong; I'm sure they were great books for their time, but that's exactly my point:for their time.

I wouldn't teach a novel, I only have about five weeks in which to teach the course, and even then, it's only about three days a week on most weeks.

Short stories, however, are yes.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: March 08, 2010, 10:07:52 PM
Alright, so this summer, I'm going to be teaching a couple of English classes for a summer program that I've worked for for a few years now. I'm sure everyone has gone through school here. I'm trying to get my happy curriculum all planned out for the students and I was wondering what kinds of things interested you in your high school English class (or equivalent). Were there any books, short stories, poems, etc., that you really enjoyed? Any special things you did at all that piqued your interested? Anything I should keep in mind?

The students will be getting a hefty dose of wacky. Contrary to popular belief, I am not a humor nazi. :p

The first book you read should be...
Ray Brabury
Farenheight 451

Not because it's a good book, but because it's such a bad book.

Like those videos about herpes.

Second should be...
Of Mice and Men
Have your class read it outloud. Hilarity Ensues.

Third should be...
Suggesting they find time to read Journey to the West.
Don't read it in class.

Make a reading assignment out of a short manga(preferably something that teaches them something).
Dororo, Cyborg 009, Oishinbo
For irony, bring copies in Japanese. For April Fool's(if it's part of Summer) bring Dragon Ball and stack in one column on your desk. Threaten punishment whenever someone walks by and knocks it over.

Also, all good teachers need posters

Replace "Help Desk" with "Teacher"