Because I'm teaching...

Rick · 8617

Offline Rick

• Je ne sais pas?
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
    • Debug Modes & Unused Stuff
on: February 28, 2010, 02:30:23 AM
Alright, so this summer, I'm going to be teaching a couple of English classes for a summer program that I've worked for for a few years now. I'm sure everyone has gone through school here. I'm trying to get my happy curriculum all planned out for the students and I was wondering what kinds of things interested you in your high school English class (or equivalent). Were there any books, short stories, poems, etc., that you really enjoyed? Any special things you did at all that piqued your interested? Anything I should keep in mind?

The students will be getting a hefty dose of wacky. Contrary to popular belief, I am not a humor nazi. :p

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 02:39:52 AM
I liked reading myths and fairy tales in english.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 03:04:51 AM
I liked reading myths and fairy tales in english.
I like myths more than fairy tales.  One of my English Teachers told intresting murder stories and strange occurances when she was teaching the semester. 

But another English Teacher did something I really really hated, she made us write journals every single day, and let me tell you they weren't fun at all.  Most of the journal questions were so bland, and I could barely do them because I could barely answer them since most of them had to do with situational things and friendship and stuff that are really hard for me to answer since I'm socially akward.  Plus we had to make like a half a page to a page entry for every single one so what ever you do don't make them write journals.

By the way what grade levels are you teaching anyway?

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Rick

• Je ne sais pas?
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
    • Debug Modes & Unused Stuff
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 03:07:51 AM
I'm going to be teaching high school students in the summer.

Later on, it's my goal to be able to teach at the college level. Especially Creative Writing, as I have such a passion for poetry.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 03:13:17 AM
Okay so it would be safe to murder stories without them peeing their pants, that's good.   Also if they have to read the Lottery whatever you do, don't hold a fake lottery where the person who get's their name drawn gets an imaginary F for the semester, that scared the [parasitic bomb] out of me.

Also another thing I liked about English classes were Shakesphere.

Archer

Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 04:28:21 AM
At least you guys didn't have to learn Maori myths in school.

MAUI FISHED UP THE NORTH ISLAND WITH HIS GRANDMOTHER'S JAWBONE

God I hated that [parasitic bomb].

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 04:49:08 AM
You should ask that Blaze guy. He's a principal, y'know.

A God Damned Principal, even.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 04:52:43 AM
The whole Divine Comedy. Do a brief history lesson on why the Crusades occured, tell both sides' story.

Between DMC, Dante's Inferno, and all the referenced people they'll learn, it's actually worth it.

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 04:55:10 AM
Also if they have to read the Lottery whatever you do, don't hold a fake lottery where the person who get's their name drawn gets an imaginary F for the semester, that scared the [parasitic bomb] out of me.

Wow, LMAO.

I think you should ask about the journals, but I think most people don't like writing one. If you do, I would suggest not more than a paragraph. It's good writing practice, but it can become boring and bland if the questions are not something to write a paragraph about.

I remember one thing one of my english teachers did was an assignment based on Julius Caesar. We were split into groups, and were supposed to re-translate a scene from old english(King James stuff) to modern english and make a skit out of it. That was fairly interesting.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 05:04:58 AM
Yeah just make sure that it's easy to do, I mean journals can be great if you do them right.

Offline Trask

• Laid-back and easy-going
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoot to thrill...
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 05:48:17 AM
Any plays that you can get students to play different roles and act them out can be fun.  One thing I remember from my senior year of high school that was pretty cool was an extra credit option in the class.  Since it was British Literature, if we brought in anything that referenced characters, stories, or quotes in British Literature, we got extra points (50 was our maximum).  I remember I brought in strategy guides for Final Fantasy Tactics (Beowulf) and Vagrant Story (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern).

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 05:56:08 AM
That is one very awesome English teacher. owob

Offline Trask

• Laid-back and easy-going
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoot to thrill...
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 06:02:25 AM
Yeah, she was awesome.  I also remember bringing in clips from The Pagemaster and a Shakespeare quote from The West Wing, as well as Van Halen's 1984 album.  That's why I love British Literature. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 07:10:33 AM
Well one of my favorite things to read in High School, and in general, was Shakespeare.  I joined that class and got an A in it, cause I love me some Shakespeare.  But that's me, and I understand Shakespeare isn't for everyone.

Well, since it's an English class, and since you're into creative writing, I feel that it'd be best to find out what the students are into, and then have them creatively write about it.  It could be a fanfic about Cartoons, a poem about video games, song lyrics to Facebook, or something weird like that.  I mean, you can also always go with the classics like A Catcher In The Rye, then show them parts of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex to show the students how The Laughing Man was inspired by Salingers work.  1984 is always a high school favorite.  If I were a teacher, I'd try to connect with the students.  I've always found that if I like the teacher, I'll actually put more effort into the class.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 08:05:17 AM
Yeah that's true in most cases, which is why I typicly do bloody awful in Math besides having no talent for it.  Although sometimes a class is really easy and yet that teacher is not really your favorite. 

Take me and my Spanish teacher, she's a decent person but the problem is that she thinks that every single person should be mostly the same, I think she's too young to realize that it is most certainly not the case. 

For example she says that you should call waiter in a restraunt a server because she thinks it's their proper title and thinks they'll feel a little insulted if you call them a waiter.  Now if it was me I would simply refer them as Ms or Mr since that is always polite and it just feels akward to say "excuse me waiter, server, or table server" to me. 

Another thing is she thinks that's it's not normal to run to lunch to get in line faster, I understand that it can be a safety hazard but with the way lunch lines are, if you aren't close enough to the place, and still want to socialize with your friends at lunch then it makes prefect sense to run.  Not to mention if it's second lunch food is more likely to run out if you don't hurry so in other words first come first serve is a policy she doesn't really understand if she says not to run to lunch.  And unfortunatly 98% of the class agrees with her since only my annoying friend runs to lunch.

Now the most important reason I'm saying this is because she tends to single me out as really strange for the way I do and say things.  For example I said that it's okay to run at lunch more than once, despite the fact that the entire class unterly disagreed with me, and she talked to me after class saying that it's not okay to do that kind of thing since it looks like I'm defending my friend.  Now this is completly BS since I barely consider him a friend since he's selfish, irresponsible, brass, childish, and immature.  The only reason I hang out with the guy is because he's a friend of my other friends and a friend of them is kinda a aquaintance of mine. 

The last thing is that I cried a little bit when nobody asked me to be in one of thier video groups.  She was probably was wondering why I didn't really approuch any groups in the first place.  The reason is that due to past experiences I can never find a group because 1. I don't know a mass majority of the kids in my classes and 2. 80% of the time I get refused.  This is why if the option is available I work alone. 

Similar stupid situations have happened in Jr. High too where when it's time to switch papers with someone else the people around me switched with other people and refused to do a triangle trade saying I should find someone else to trade with.  I mean really, it really that much of a hassle to trade a second time honestly? 

It's because of these situations that I get upset when nobody askes me to be my partner.  I feel like people avoid me like the freaking plauge all because they want to partner up with thier "friends" even though I try to work the absolute hardest to the bast of my ability.  It pisses me off that no one can see that. 

Anyway because I cried my teacher wants to meet with my mom to tell her what's been going on with me and to try and fix it so I can be a "function" member of society or some crap like that.  She also said that she wanted to talk about a award that I recently got for "Outstanding Participation"  since from the look of things she really doubts my abilities.  Luckly my mom won't probably listen to her crap, because she too was a loner when she was growing up in Cuba, Spain, and America, unless it is something viable. 

Also something in my mind is nagging me that the only reason she became a high school teacher in the first place is because her best years were in high school and she doesn't want to leave it.  I mean she went to Spain for a year after College and knows her Spanish pretty well despite being in her late 20s single and has a degree in Spanish and yet she chose to teach at the high schoool she went to and graduated.  Not to mention she's the cheer coach so clearly she was definitly a preppy in her high school years.  She probably thinks that she can show people that high school is fun despite the fact that it's usually one of the worse and akward times in a person's life but is really deluding herself in that aspect.

Anyway this is my opinion and I'm probably making wild speculations about somethings, but the point is that I'm a little less fond of her than my Chior teacher despite the fact I've had them both for 3 years.  At least my Chior teacher, despite not being a decent teacher according to my standards, is a decent, laid back guy, who only want's everyone to have fun in his class and doesn't preach his ideals a lot.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 08:35:05 AM
Take me and my Spanish teacher, she's a decent person but the problem is that she thinks that every single person should be mostly the same, I think she's too young to realize that it is most certainly not the case. 

For example she says that you should call waiter in a restraunt a server because she thinks it's their proper title and thinks they'll feel a little insulted if you call them a waiter.  Now if it was me I would simply refer them as Ms or Mr since that is always polite and it just feels akward to say "excuse me waiter, server, or table server" to me.

Well if she honestly believes that every person should be the same, she's living in a dream world.  Also, from my experience, no one calls a waiter a waiter, waitress, server, or anything like that.  Most of the time you don't call them anything.  Good to know you're polite, young one!  XD

Anyway because I cried my teacher wants to meet with my mom to tell her what's been going on with me and to try and fix it so I can be a "function" member of society or some crap like that.  She also said that she wanted to talk about a award that I recently got for "Outstanding Participation"  since from the look of things she really doubts my abilities.  Luckly my mom won't probably listen to her crap, because she too was a loner when she was growing up in Cuba, Spain, and America, unless it is something viable. 

Well that doesn't make much sense.  If you just got an award for "Outstanding Participation" then why would you need to be fixed to become a "functioning member of society?"  See, I'd ask the teacher that, cause I'm a wise-ass!  XD

Also something in my mind is nagging me that the only reason she became a high school teacher in the first place is because her best years were in high school and she doesn't want to leave it.  I mean she went to Spain for a year after College and knows her Spanish pretty well despite being in her late 20s single and has a degree in Spanish and yet she chose to teach at the high schoool she went to and graduated.  Not to mention she's the cheer coach so clearly she was definitly a preppy in her high school years.  She probably thinks that she can show people that high school is fun despite the fact that it's usually one of the worse and akward times in a person's life but is really deluding herself in that aspect.

Well people become teachers for different reasons.  Some do it because they love having summer's & major holidays off.  Others do it because they really want to try and make a difference in someone's life.  Like you said, high school was probably fun for her because if she's the preppy you say she was, her high school experience was indeed awesome.  It can be awesome for some and awkward for others.  It really all depends on one's own personality and experiences as well.  I mean, technically my high school experience was very good.  My best friends are people I met in High School. 

I will offer two pieces of advice though, for times after High School:
-College is definitely better, but make sure you go for what you want
-Try your absolute best to get a job/career in the field you want, because when responsibility comes crashing down upon you and you really hate your job, high school will seem like a [tornado fang]ing breeze.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 08:59:50 AM
Also, from my experience, no one calls a waiter a waiter, waitress, server, or anything like that.  Most of the time you don't call them anything.  Good to know you're polite, young one!  XD
Yeah usually I won't can them anything unless I have to directly, like that one time in Chili's I asked for a warm cinnamon roll desert shot and they gave me apple pie, twice in fact! XD

Well that doesn't make much sense.  If you just got an award for "Outstanding Participation" then why would you need to be fixed to become a "functioning member of society?"  See, I'd ask the teacher that, cause I'm a wise-ass!  XD
It was probably because of the fact that a different teacher gave it to me and she thinks she knows me, as if.

I will offer two pieces of advice though, for times after High School:
-College is definitely better, but make sure you go for what you want
-Try your absolute best to get a job/career in the field you want, because when responsibility comes crashing down upon you and you really hate your job, high school will seem like a [tornado fang]ing breeze.

Yeah that's definitly what I want and plan to do.  I ultimatly want to own a business some time but I don't know whether to sell plants, geneticly altlered plants, or lotions, soaps, shampoos, and other non cosmetic beauty products using essential oils extracted from plants or all 3.

I have at least 3 friends I hope to keep in contct with after college because thier pretty dependable and one of them had a plan to get a house and let me and one of the other guys live with him somewhere during college in the middle of all the colleges we plan to go to.  The only down sides are that those 2 are a little religous and obviously I'm not, a few political differences, and the other guy can briefly snap over the littlest thing and gets obessed with the stupidess things. 

The reason that the guy who was not offered the to live at a house, because I guess since it'll probably be a small 2 bed room house and I'm the only girl there I need my own room, is because since he praticed trying to master the Super Smash Brothers games so much that he easily gets obess with things and tends to have lost a lot control over his emotions despite being a happy go lucky immature guy who can't take critisism.  His latess obession is making Ed Edd and Eddy YTPs since his current girl friend apparently makes a couple of them.  I would say more but I have a feeling my dad might come out and tell me to go to bed and Full Metal Alchemist is on now so that's it for now.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 09:23:24 AM
It was probably because of the fact that a different teacher gave it to me and she thinks she knows me, as if.

Oh, I'd still bring it up though.  Again, I'm a wise-ass.  I was all throughout high school and I still am today.  What I would do is literally not only bring it up, but FLAUNT the award in her face and state "You say I need to become a 'functioning' member of society, yet this award says 'Outstanding Participation' on it.  So according to this award, clearly I'm not the problem here!"

I have at least 3 friends I hope to keep in contct with after college because thier pretty dependable and one of them had a plan to get a house and let me and one of the other guys live with him somewhere during college in the middle of all the colleges we plan to go to.  The only down sides are that those 2 are a little religous and obviously I'm not, a few political differences, and the other guy can briefly snap over the littlest thing and gets obessed with the stupidess things. 

Let me give you another piece of advice, young one.  Living with friends can possibly end REALLY badly.  You know those little quirks you just mentioned?  Those are quirks you see when you hang out with them either in or outside of school.  However, when you hang out with them you have that "buffer zone" which allows you to still remain friends with them and get along with them, somewhat.  If you live with them, that buffer zone will be gone.  You will be dealing with those quirks day in and day out, and at first it won't seem like much, but then they will start to compound upon each other and soon you might start to see even more quirks.  It goes both ways too, whereas they might start to notice your quirks more too.

This is just one of many scenarios though.  For all I know, you could be ever closer friends because of it.  For me though, I love my friends, but I'd never live with them.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 09:36:27 AM
Oh, I'd still bring it up though.  Again, I'm a wise-ass.  I was all throughout high school and I still am today.  What I would do is literally not only bring it up, but FLAUNT the award in her face and state "You say I need to become a 'functioning' member of society, yet this award says 'Outstanding Participation' on it.  So according to this award, clearly I'm not the problem here!"

So she's having problems fitting in. And the teacher's noticed this and wants to help. And so you recommend acting like a dick in response to this?

What the [tornado fang], man?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 09:42:52 AM
English has ALWAYS been my favorite subject.

Well one of my favorite things to read in High School, and in general, was Shakespeare.  I joined that class and got an A in it, cause I love me some Shakespeare.  But that's me, and I understand Shakespeare isn't for everyone.
Hellz yeah.
 Well I definitely liked reading Shakespeare in junior year. Especially if you get into it. Teacher would bring in his prized CD's from the "college something theater". Whereas the rest of the class read it terribly or with no feeling to it, pausing every word,(yknow, that odd way some people read? "And-Then-the-person-etc..." ) I liked putting passion and emotion into it. (not too much of course,) but properly read it! with tone inflections, voice raising, all of that!

Myths and fairy tales too. and short stories.
for real, those books of short stories? they have some of the best stories ever, IMO. teacher always wanted the handout packets back, but I would always keep em cuz the stories were good. XD

as for a book or two, a suggestion, Ray Bradbury if you want something odd, yet very well written. Personal favorite of mine is "Something Wicked This Way Comes" (even has a movie to its name as well! So you could read the book, then near the end of the course, show the movie or something. That was always something I enjoyed. after reading the book, near the end of the course, the teacher would show us the movie based on it, and we analyzed the differences and how well it was portrayed.)

Poetry was always nice as well. Hmm. Yeah. Shakespeare was always cool to read though. That was probably my favorite.

Well, since it's an English class, and since you're into creative writing, I feel that it'd be best to find out what the students are into, and then have them creatively write about it.
Well, two of the teachers I had Freshman year in HS, had us write stories. One of them assigned it once, for a homework assignment. I tried to come up with a horror story. Id NEVER done something like that, (since I don't like the horror genre,) and looking back on it, it maybe wasn't all that "scary" but it was fun trying to come up with something creepy!

Actually, the second teacher I had Freshman year, had us go into pairs and write a story between us. Holy hell, lol, me and one of my good friends teamed up and came up with the CRAZIEST story, trippiest most ridiculous thing ever written. I swear it must have had a character from at least every major work out there, Pokemon, Star wars, you name it. God damn did we laugh or asses off.

In fact, lol, the teacher never returned it! We questioned him about it a few times, but he kept it!

If I were a teacher, I'd try to connect with the students.  I've always found that if I like the teacher, I'll actually put more effort into the class.
Amen there. Its always easier for a teacher to actually teach their students if the students feel a connection. like the teacher- is "at their level" that he can understand them, and knows how to act accordingly. Hah, Im actually good friends with about 3 English teachers and the English AP! (One of them ran an anime club even.) With 2 of them, I would often talk about video games and stuff, the one who started the anime club was actually a big comic book buff, so we talked about that as well alot.

teacher student connection is definitely IMO, a must.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 09:51:43 AM
I never went to high school, so I don't know.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 10:02:08 AM
So she's having problems fitting in. And the teacher's noticed this and wants to help. And so you recommend acting like a dick in response to this?

What the [tornado fang], man?

First of all, "fitting in" is overrated, especially in high school, because after it's all said and done she's most likely never going to see those people again, except for those select group of friends she already has and wants to keep in contact with.  Second, this is solely judged on her description of what kind of person her teacher is.  She said her teacher thinks that everyone should be the same, which suggests that her teacher is a conformist.  I personally don't think conformity is a good thing, especially for somewhere as meaningless as high school, for the reasons I stated above.  Throughout her posts on RPM, Sakura already seems like an intelligent girl with a good head on her shoulders who's picked on in high school because she is smart and hard-working.  I have no idea whether this is true or not since I don't see her offline, so I'm simply judging based on what she's said in the past.  If this is true, she'll definitely be fine after high school's over with.  Lastly, like I said this is something that "I" would do because "I" am a wise-ass.  Sakura's not going to do this.  She already stated what's most likely going to happen.  LoL, most people are too shy or too intelligent to do something like I suggested.  I am not!  XD

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 10:27:22 AM
So what, you think if a girl starts crying in class the teacher should just ignore it? This isn't trying to force conformity, it's trying to help someone who, tbh, appears to have social problems. Because those are kind of bad.

Buuuuuut whatever this is completely off topic and it's not like either of us has the full story anyway so whatever y'know whatever whatever. Rick, give your students awards, see if you can troll the other teachers. [parasitic bomb]'ll be awesome.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 11:16:22 AM
Buuuuuut whatever this is completely off topic and it's not like either of us has the full story anyway so whatever y'know whatever whatever.

Fair enough.  It is off topic, like you said.  Plus I like how you mention RPM's own High School Principal up above!  XD

Rick, give your students awards, see if you can troll the other teachers. [parasitic bomb]'ll be awesome.

Sounds like my Mass Media professor last semester! 

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 11:17:33 AM
Avoid Lord of the Flies. That book bored me to tears.

Also, I too greatly enjoyed Shaekespeare (I think I studied Hamlet), and the thing that interested me the most was when we (or, I, because no-one else took any interest), were called upon to challenge the pre-existing conceptions of the characters. For example, is Hamlet justified in the methods he uses to achieve his ends, or is it just another case of petty revenge?

Anyway, that's my two pence, so.....

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation