Super Smash Bros. Thread

Akamaru · 658955

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #5400 on: November 25, 2014, 07:26:42 AM
There are a bunch of people here I expected would be all ready to play me from the moment you saw my profile say "Now Playing: SSB for WiiU" that haven't yet.

You all better fix that pronto.

XD

Not now though, I'm about to sleep.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5401 on: November 25, 2014, 08:22:53 AM
Oh Jelly, you know how it works. First you unlock all the stuff, THEN you whoop some ass in Bitchslap!  8D

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #5402 on: November 25, 2014, 05:38:02 PM
Good News: The DK Rap is back.

Bad News: Lanky and Chunky's lyrics have been cut out.

Makes me wonder why they put it in in the first place.......

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #5403 on: November 26, 2014, 09:43:09 PM

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #5404 on: November 27, 2014, 12:18:03 PM
I've just spent nearly an hour playing Home-Run Contest. Please send help.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #5405 on: November 29, 2014, 01:15:47 AM
How to play Mega Man online:

- Every time you win a match, change your color to the one that closest matches the opponent's character. (i.e. If you beat a Pikachu player, change to yellow/black, etc.)  8)

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5406 on: November 29, 2014, 01:39:33 AM
Also...

-Use the teleport taunt as the match finishes, then hope you get the teleport in victory!

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #5407 on: November 29, 2014, 02:01:12 AM
If I'm not mistaken, you can choose the teleport win pose manually.  Holding left on the D-Pad triggers it.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #5408 on: November 30, 2014, 02:47:45 AM
I love this game.  So much music, so much easier to unlock custom stuff (even if it's frustrating to lose a special move you've been looking for...), and so freaking gorgeous.  Love Crazy Orders, it's overpriced but I guess that's just so you're thankful for getting passes.  Trophy photos are better than ever, you have more freedom to play around.  And Palutena's Guidance, man it's great hearing Viridi again.

That said, my complaints are as follows:
-Smash Tour is [parasitic bomb].  Makes me appreciate 3DS's Smash Run.  Sans the final battle, there is no benefit to collecting multiple fighters because you can't choose the one you actually want anyway.  You also cannot cancel/back out of any menu, ever, in the entire mode.  I would entirely ignore this mode if not for the Challenges that require it.  And once they are clear, I will never, ever look back.
-It's a little frustrating that this game will forbid you from joining a friend online without telling you why.  Either it doesn't bother to let you know when a room is full or you're not allowed to join a room hosted by a friend of a friend, not sure which.
-Kid Icarus Uprising's "Intensity" mechanics only work because the scenario itself never changes.  The Master Fortress is awesome, but it is NOT the kind of area you expect somebody to not get killed in while playing blind, and it goes away if the Intensity drops below 8.0.  So too bad, you have to start Classic all over again.  There is no way to properly learn/explore it.  That was an idiotic oversight, textbook example of misguided game balance put into place by someone who has no idea what it's like to not already be familiar with the game.  They could have at least put the Fortress into one of the Event matches or something.

- The game does not seem to remember my name when going across modes. A minor inconvenience. Perhaps I'm spoiled by the 3DS version remembering that and the color you last used.
What makes this a far less minor annoyance is that your name ties to your control preferences.  So if you're happy with the defaults, great.  If you're not, this kinda screws you, especially since the name keeps popping up in different places depending on the game mode (IE, Events or Smash Tour).  There really is no reason this game shouldn't remember the last-used name, and it's honestly the one thing that I hope they patch, simply because there is no excuse for it.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the topic's been brought up how funny it is to hear Sakurai talk about Ridley and character faithfulness after the whole shpiel with Ganondorf.  (Also really not sure what he's talking about with Ridley's wings, they're by no means required to be part of his hitbox and they've been pretty damn tiny in other games anyway).

They're dancing around it a little, but what I got from that piece is that it's a matter of image: Ridley is "boss" material and nobody wants to screw with that.  They don't believe it's within his character to be balanced with the other fighters (many said the same of Mewtwo).  So, what the hell?  Recruiting him in the Pyrosphere is awesome, and I can live with that.  I still say they COULD make him a fighter, mind you, but what's done is satisfactory.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #5409 on: November 30, 2014, 03:22:34 AM
Good, more people who don't care for Smash Tour, more people who believe the intensity thing to not work with Smash.

I don't have any qualms with the online, but that's only because I choose to ignore it.

Having to re-apply the name/color all the time is annoying, maybe I don't remember to do so because I'm frustrated and want to get back in immediately and Oops! Now I have Tap-Jumps enabled again and I'm on Crazy orders so I can't get out of it. Same deal with Custom Characters here, why doesn't it just default to on and if I don't want to use them set it to default? Seriously guys, not hard. (Though ironically the one time I forgot in Crazy Orders as Lucina I actually kicked ass and managed to get ROB.)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5410 on: November 30, 2014, 04:34:17 AM
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Smash Tour is a steaming pile of [parasitic bomb].

Honestly they should have gone full Mario Party and made 'mini games' for it. Something like Hit the Targets and Home Run Contest, just split screen for all the people involved. Or something like, first to get the Smash Ball, etc. Something that wasn't just random bullshit in a free for all match every time with CPU's at like Lv9 always.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5411 on: November 30, 2014, 04:55:32 AM
Literally every other region called Megaman "The Blue Bomber" in the Boxing Ring.

What did the US call him? Blue Metal Hero. -AC

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5412 on: November 30, 2014, 07:01:06 AM
So... does Harder difficulty in this game just mean that the AI becomes a bunch of dodgy fuckwits that I can barely hit while they pummel the [parasitic bomb] out of me? Because they're still really easy to knock out once I can actually HIT them.

Oh, and Master Fortress literally being "Its the most annoying Smash Run Enemies (Stalfos, Those [tornado fang]ing Laser Flowers that I presume are from Sakurai's other Baby and a bunch of [tornado fang]ing ghost things.) in a thin corridor lined with danger zones from Great Cave Offensive" means its about as fun as getting surgery. I used a Tank-style Ganondorf to get to the end to find myself dead at what I presume the last point was because some [tornado fang]ing specter thing hit me with one of those annoying "Rapidly rack up damage then FLING THE GUY ACROSS THE FIELD" attacks that are incredibly prevalent in both Smash Run AND Brawl's SSE.

Its not fun when you uncontrollably smack against walls only to get up with like three mercy invincibility frames before the game realizes you're standing on a kill floor.

This game just keeps finding things for me to sour my opinion of the whole thing. Ugh, I'm honestly thinking I'd be better off playing Brawl again, this one's just got too many things I don't care about (Smash Tour, Online), too many things that frustrate me (Those [tornado fang]ing Gunner Miis in any Multi-Man situation, AI that thinks its people and as such seems to adapt to my playstyle making it frustrating, Equipment literally being a game of "Buff this, lose this", etc.)

At the same time its got a lot of good, the trophies are better than ever, lots more variety compared to Brawl where some series got better representation than others (Yoshi literally had... 4 trophies while F-Zero had considerably more despite it not having a new game in a while.), having like 1,000 or so spread between the systems probably helped, the graphics are gorgeous, and the character choice is the best its ever been, the controls are simple still and they have lots of great stuff there.

I only wish it was half as fun as Brawl was to me when that came out. Maybe I'm just not enjoying the series anymore.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #5413 on: November 30, 2014, 10:04:16 AM
So, I gather that Smash U is very disappointing. Guess it's better that I have the 3DS version instead, even if the online is laggy [parasitic bomb]. I'm trying to figure out WHY, though.

MK7 held 8 people online with a steady 60fps and Uprising had very smooth online, as well.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5414 on: November 30, 2014, 05:24:10 PM
My guess is that Smash uses a LOT more information being sent back and forth, not just for inputs but items and random [parasitic bomb] that happens, and all of that, while maintaining 60fps. The 3DS is also WiFi, and that slows it down by default. Not to mention that is a huge factor in your opponent's connection as well.

The WiiU runs way smoother online that I've seen. I'm happy that I settled on the WiiU version. It's just way better to look at and play, locally and online. Also GC controller isn't cramping my hands every match.

Smash Tour and Smash Run aside (imo they're both [parasitic bomb]), WiiU offers more Co-Op activities. So I think it still wins out all things considered.

Also WiiU is the only one that has 8-player Smash, which given a big enough TV is great.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #5415 on: November 30, 2014, 10:21:33 PM
WiiU's online has been smoother for me as well but then that may have something to do with the fact that I finally wired the console last month.  It's just a shame that Pokemon had me so spoiled with finding/inviting friends on the fly, Nintendo really needs to do a better job of making games that alert you when a friend is looking for a match.

So, I gather that Smash U is very disappointing. Guess it's better that I have the 3DS version instead, even if the online is laggy [parasitic bomb].
It's just easy to rant about Smash Tour being so God-awful.  The rest of the game is awesome; the only real disappointment is if you were looking for some stronger counterpart to 3DS's Smash Run, because there simply isn't one.

That aside, WiiU has Master/Crazy Orders, Event Matches, 8 player, more stages, a FRIGGIN HUGE pile of music, and IMHO the superior Classic mode.  You can post screenshots to Miiverse without having to wait for next year's 3DS model, too.  And I appreciate the fact that Challenges are on one panel again, not sure why the 3DS messed with that one.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5416 on: November 30, 2014, 10:27:29 PM
Though, said friggin huge pile of music is mostly rehashes from Brawl/Melee/64 or original tracks. There's a lot of new remixes but they're outnumbered by the Brawl music.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #5417 on: November 30, 2014, 10:41:03 PM
Core gameplay is still really good, especially with a GC controller. And really, that's all that matters. Everything else is extra. I have nitpicks, sure, but that's all they are. Not deal breakers. Based on 8 Player in Classic, it can get pretty overwhelming. But with actual people, everyone I hear says it's super fun. And I will agree Smash Tour sucks balls. To get those challenges, definitely don't play the computer.

About difficulty, I haven't tried the harder Classic and All Star levels. But I did do a bunch of Events on Hard. Some are pretty damn difficult, but not any more difficult than past game's events. The fact that customization is legal in that mode definitely lessens that a bit.

Concerning challenges, they weren't kidding that they were harder than 3DS. But 3DS challenges were overall pretty easy. True, I think some are obvious golden hammer candidates, but a lot can be done with perseverance. I really like that they're more varied in what you have to do, and there is a challenge for every character to do.

And right now, I'd say the stage selection is the best yet. There are still stinkers like GCO and Pac Land, but there's a million stages and they can't all be winners. I have to think on it a bit, but I feel the good to bad ratio is better in U than in 3DS.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #5418 on: December 04, 2014, 01:30:41 AM
I just played Sm4sh U with eight players at my uni arcade. I initially thought it'd be too damn chaotic to work but holy [tornado fang] it was fun.

Apparently I actually kick ass with Robin. Thoron on Omega stages baby.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #5419 on: December 05, 2014, 12:41:15 AM
Tried 9.0 Classic for the first time today. Took me three tries, but I was able to do it as Ganondorf without customizing. Honestly, Master Fortress' difficulty is pretty overblown. Run away from Stalfos and take your time with everything else.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #5420 on: December 06, 2014, 05:50:25 AM
It's not really the difficulty so much as it is the learning curve: Your ability to retry is limited to nonexistant depending on what Intensity you started at, and it is unintuitive.  The danger zones are mis-colored compared to any other in either 3DS or WiiU versions (in any other stage or mode, they are red, not yellow).  The enemies are unfamiliar to those who haven't played 3DS's Smash Run, and to such people the screen-sweeping beams will very likely mean death.  And it's unclear why you're kicked to the beginning after beating the second "heart" if you have no prior experience to tell you that one of the paths you already went through shifted (I kid you not, I self-destructed looking for a third entrance).

As I said earlier it'd be a lot different if they included the Fortress in one of the other modes, such as an Event match, just to make it more accessible so that you didn't have to waste entire play-throughs (and coins, which are in much higher demand than on the 3DS) figuring it out.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5421 on: December 07, 2014, 05:34:35 AM
So apparently Marth, Villager and WFT's amiibos have been discontinued already.

They're already being scalped on Amazon.

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #5422 on: December 07, 2014, 03:43:04 PM
They just started making Amiibos. Now, they're discontinuing three?

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5423 on: December 07, 2014, 06:38:08 PM
What they're most likely doing is a run of each one when their wave comes up. Then they'll see which one sells and which doesn't. They'll start reprinting as necessary.

When you have a product with a huge variety like that you can't just stamp out a billion of each and hope they sell since you have to pay for each unit produced. They're smart to approach it this way, if what I presumed they would do is indeed what they're doing.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5424 on: December 07, 2014, 06:46:15 PM
Yeah, while I imagine characters like Mario, Kirby and Link will probably keep coming out as needed, they wouldn't do the same for less popular/more obscure characters like Marth or Shulk, which is probably part of the reasoning behind having three Amiibos be retailer exclusives (as stupid as that concept is).