The Mario Kart Thread

VixyNyan · 86126

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 02:38:57 AM
I'm happy because I own SNES Mario Kart and VC Mario Kart 64, I'm sad because playing Wii on 100cc on Lightning Cup is hell, I can stay in first place for 5 seconds tops, getting little banana peels to hold me up. Then BAM! Blue Shell, Red Shell, Red Shell, Stray Green Shell, Pow Brick, AND to make it even worse Blooper Oil. By that time i'm in 10th place on the third lap. So I just [tornado fang]ing give up and Restart.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 08:40:54 PM
I made the topic a little more awesome than before, and I'll make it even more awesome soon.

Is it alright if we talk a little more deeply about the courses, music and other features? :3

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Akira

• Mr. Fanservice & Vixy's cute boy
  • Neo Arcadian
  • BAKA!
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 08:41:52 PM
Mario Kart for me it is this!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J5CUcAKsGA[/youtube]

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 11:09:07 PM
Mario Kart for me it is this!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J5CUcAKsGA[/youtube]
Agreed. It's why I always thoroughly enjoy it when the remixed version comes up in Brawl. I have a lot of good memories of the first Mario Kart.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 11:17:34 PM
it's called a road it's called a rainbow road
it is a road that you go
and you will know when you get there
it is a road that you go
it's a road that you go
when you diiiiiiiie

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 12:01:31 AM
Is it alright if we talk a little more deeply about the courses, music and other features? :3

Give me a moment, and I'll go deeper and deeper into this.   [eyebrow]

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 12:29:38 AM
Basically, Mario Kart Wii was the perfect game except for a few things:
-Forced teams in battle
-Bikes? Bikes why?
-Kart stats, again
-Ridiculous items, again (actually, it was made even worse; lots of all-hitters, far too many item boxes, and nerfed some items, too)
-Ranking, again
-Backdraft/tail another driver long enough and you get a boost, again (you should only get a minor increase to your max speed and acceleration, and only as long as you're behind someone)

Other than that, shortcuts could typically be taken without a Mushroom and Drift Boosts were based on time spent Drifting.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 01:38:12 AM
Basically, Mario Kart Wii was the perfect game

Sorry but no, and just to illustrate this point, I'll actually build off of the things you mentioned so far:

- Kart momentum is horribly gimped. As much as you can say that it's more realistic for a car to bank a wall and lose most if not all forward momentum. I don't think one should strive for realism in a game where we blast things with lighting bolts at will. On top of this, the game feels slow for some weird reason. (Unless of course you're [tornado fang]ing Baby Luigi in a Bubble Bike. XD)
- Player AI takes a level in mind racking after 100cc. (It's funny because this used to be an issue I heard a lot of back in the MK64 days, but it's actually only true in the case of MKWii)
- Online mode has race breaking flaws. This is more due to issues with latencies, slight lag between players and a number of other things, but dammit, if I shoot a shell at you and can see it connect, your ass better not just drive away with a troll face on. This issue also extends to massively cheap tactics like insane Bullet Bill spam by multiple characters in the third lap.
- Speaking of issues with items... CLOUD AIDS, CLOUD AIDS, CLOUD AIDS, on top of mini nuke Blue Shells. (Bring back the Spiked Shell turf cruisers!) There's also a massive discrepancy between offensive items. Seriously, people can shrug of banana peels so effortlessly, there's no point to them. Fake item blocks got gimped in an interesting way by having their colorscheme changed. Seriously, everyone can tell what they are now. Also, I'm still insanely PO'd that they kept the "you can't hold onto your items once knocked out" thing that DD & DS introduced.
- Several levels in the cups for past games are tweaked to the point of being unnecessary.

And yet for all the bitching it sounds like this post is, I still enjoy MKWii a lot. I haven't played it as much as I thought I would, but it's still pretty good for racing every now and again.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 04:30:33 AM
the best thing to do in any mario kart is use the lightning bolt right as people are going over a jump.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 04:38:43 AM
Amen.
And never use Big mushroom, its annoying how I cannot hit anyone with it, yet I destroy with gold star. Just try and not ever get it. Or try and use it when your going to hit an item block.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 05:59:21 AM
the best thing to do in any mario kart is use the lightning bolt right as people are going over a jump.

Wario Stadium is the ultimate test of friendships, siblings & general bonds just for this. XD

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 06:02:12 AM
I HATE when that happens to me, when it happens to someone else I imagine it's hilarious (never seen it happen to anyone other than me >_>)

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 07:05:17 AM
- Online mode has race breaking flaws. This is more due to issues with latencies, slight lag between players and a number of other things, but dammit, if I shoot a shell at you and can see it connect, your ass better not just drive away with a troll face on.

You ever play a game with clientside hit detection? [parasitic bomb] gets old fast. Getting hit by people who aren't even in the same room, oh man.

On the other hand when your router's acting up so you kinda lag out for a few seconds and end up charging someone who's jumped off a balcony and entered a building to get away from you and you can't even see them anymore but suddenly they start swearing it's just yeeeeeeeeeah.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 07:54:26 AM
I really miss the old spiny shell that they used to have.  It was a bit more balanced as it couldn't fly, and it had the nice effect of plowing through other racers who were in it's way as it headed for it's first-place target.  This new one is just plain annoying; if I see one headed towards me, I usually either slow down and/or try to get really close to someone else so that the explosion hits someone else.  I know that they're dodgeable in some games, although it's easier said than done (I pulled it off only once in MKDS).

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 11:12:10 AM
Wario Stadium is the ultimate test of friendships, siblings & general bonds just for this. XD

I would drop banana peels to make my sister fall down the pit in Wario Stadium.

I employ the same tactics in Mario Kart DS with trap blocks on the loop in Rainbow Road. Works pretty well!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 02:50:07 PM
I would drop banana peels to make my sister fall down the pit in Wario Stadium.

I employ the same tactics in Mario Kart DS with trap blocks on the loop in Rainbow Road. Works pretty well!

My personal favorite tactic usually doesn't involve lightning over that jump actually. I loved setting a fake item block in the air right at the very tip so when a kart took of, all the momentum's canceled as they fall. Either that or sharpshooting them with a green shell. On another note, I only just recently perfected a way to do the same thing with banana peels on Royal Raceway. XD

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: January 20, 2010, 05:33:29 PM
I always lay traps on the jumps when I get the chance. I try to spread it out on each lap, hoping that eventually someone will fall prey to it.

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: January 21, 2010, 03:35:09 PM
I've been getting back into Mario Kart recently, still some stuff on the Wii version I need to do.

Also, perhaps it's just me, but DS Desert Hills is the most boring track in the game. I hate it. Why couldn't they have brought Waluigi Pinball or the Clock track back instead?

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: January 21, 2010, 05:06:47 PM
They can't burn through the good tracks for future titles, so they usually slap in some of the shitty ones.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #44 on: January 22, 2010, 06:22:43 PM
I wonder sometimes if they just decide that by a random number generator in the office somewhere.  I simply cannot fathom why in two titles N64 Wario Stadium hasn't appeared.

Also, perhaps it's just me, but DS Desert Hills is the most boring track in the game.
I'd give that one to DS Yoshi Falls.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: January 22, 2010, 06:31:05 PM
I'd give that one to DS Yoshi Falls.

To this day, I still don't know how to properly place higher than 3/4th on this course. This level is insane, more so in MKWii. XD

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #46 on: January 25, 2010, 02:14:31 AM
Simple.

DS: Snake
Wii: Bike

Posted on: January 22, 2010, 12:46:23 PM
You know, I will say, there are two things that MKDS did right.

1. The fact that you're automatically "paged" with a little icon in the corner if a Friend is looking for a match while you're in Random.  I don't think any other Nintendo games do that anymore, but it was a great convenience.

2. Emblems.  Seriously, why give that up?  I can only guess that Mii usage in MKWii was supposed to replace it, but between you and me, I prefer something drawn (even if with only 15 colors) to a limited caricature.  Case in point, a little pixiv fanart conversion:

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #47 on: January 25, 2010, 02:22:18 AM
<3 U Headdy~

I should design a new icon later too! ^.^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Irgendein

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: January 25, 2010, 02:28:29 AM
Hmm, posting our MKDS emblems, eh? Sounds fun. Currently I'm unable to post mine though, but it's not that interesting anyways: It's some sort of Transmutation Circle I made years ago. Haven't bothered to change it since.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: January 25, 2010, 04:38:05 AM
If no one here can guess what my Emblem was for MKDS, you should be ashamed.