Metroid Discussion Thread

LightningKitsune · 138255

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #800 on: September 09, 2010, 08:41:39 PM
No, Flame, if I remember right, they fixed the Infinite Speed bug in Trilogy.  Not a hundred percent sure, but either way it probably won't work in that version.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #801 on: September 09, 2010, 09:17:47 PM
Barely anything works in Trilogy, and it was fixed in Prime1, so I wouldn't be surprised.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #802 on: September 09, 2010, 10:40:16 PM
Prediction for when the next Metroid title will be?

Metroid - 1986
Metroid 2 - 1991
Super Metroid - 1995
Metroid Prime/Fusion - 2002
Metroid Prime 2/Zero Mission - 2004
Metroid Prime Hunters - 2006
Metroid Prime 3 - 2007
Metroid: Other M - 2010

So let's see... in case the next chapter in the Metroid saga is a sequel to Other M, we might get it in 2 to 4 years. In case it's a whole new game in the franchise, with new gameplay and revamped everything... probably around 3 to 7 years. =P

I wish they went back to what they did with the Primes, and release a portable game and a console game almost at the same time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #803 on: September 09, 2010, 11:08:46 PM
They might go back to the secret Prime 3 ending.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #804 on: September 10, 2010, 08:15:31 AM
I wouldn't mind Metroid going back to Retro Studios. If we get another drone-fest like Other M again...

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #805 on: September 10, 2010, 12:53:35 PM
I wouldn't mind Metroid going back to whoever did Fusion/Zero Mission.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #806 on: September 10, 2010, 02:09:28 PM
I wouldn't mind Metroid going back to Retro Studios. If we get another drone-fest like Other M again...
Or at least to someone who makes good-looking Metroid games.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #807 on: September 10, 2010, 02:51:16 PM
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz-Sfw91A6A[/youtube]

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #808 on: September 10, 2010, 03:26:44 PM
Man, why can't we get -that- guy developing for Nintendo?

Or the guy making AM2R.

The Other Side

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #809 on: September 10, 2010, 03:55:34 PM
I thought I already linked that...

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #810 on: September 10, 2010, 05:05:19 PM
You did.

Just wanted to bring it up again.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #811 on: September 11, 2010, 01:04:21 AM
I found this on  the ANN forums where they were discussing other M. I liked it so ill just drop it here.

I find it interesting that the biggest issue people across the internet seem to have with the story is Samus freaking out over having to fight Ridley yet again. I feel like we've been trained by TV and movies to expect people to only be able to panic at things they've never seen before. I'm not quite sure that's how it works in real life.

A lot of people have moments of panic not from a single traumatic event, but from the accumulation of many similar ones. There's a "straw that breaks the camel's back" moment where the person has just gone through the trauma one time too many, and even though there's nothing particularly new or different about this instance, it just all becomes too much.

Considering that A) Ridley killed Samus' family, B) she's fought him many times already, and C) each time, she thought it was finally over, only to have him resurface yet again, it seems reasonable to me that she would finally hit the wall, and reach the point where it was just one time too many.

This could have been presented a little better in the story, but the basic idea of her losing it over Ridley makes more sense to me than if it had happened over some new alien threat. With any other creature, Samus could think to herself "well, I'll just kill it." With Ridley, killing never seems to work. She's trapped in a cycle. That would be enough to make anyone freak out.

The writing in the game was mediocre at best, but it felt like a problem of execution more than intent to me. If it had been explained better, the Ridley scene could have been great. The idea was sound, but they messed it up.

This is also why I don't buy the "sexism" argument. Showing a moment of weakness doesn't diminish Samus as a strong female lead; being strong isn't about lacking weakness, it's about overcoming weakness. It would be more sexist to continue to portray her as perfect, without flaws or failings of any kind. I've never met a woman like that, have you?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #812 on: September 11, 2010, 01:10:26 AM
The sexism thing is [tornado fang]ing stupid. People saying that Samus is so strong, is a simple matter of generalization. Given that you don't even see her face in most games, she could even be crying, and shitting herself all over everytime she sees a Space Pirate. Nobody knew until now.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #813 on: September 11, 2010, 01:27:33 AM
The sexism thing is [tornado fang]ing stupid. People saying that Samus is so strong, is a simple matter of generalization. Given that you don't even see her face in most games, she could even be crying, and shitting herself all over everytime she sees a Space Pirate. Nobody knew until now.

Suddenly, I think of what it would have been like if this was the case in most Metroid games and it becomes a bit more somber than I once thought. Man this series' storytelling potential is through the roof.

I'll comment on Other M later. Get ready for it. XD

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #814 on: September 11, 2010, 01:29:28 AM

The next Metroid game will feature three more gauges:

Feces-meter, Tear-Meter and Stress-Meter

You must take care of all three and keep them balanced or Samus will suffer a physical/psychic shock which is an insta-kill.

I really should become a game designer.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #815 on: September 11, 2010, 01:38:56 AM
The next Metroid game will feature three more gauges:

Feces-meter, Tear-Meter and Stress-Meter

You must take care of all three and keep them balanced or Samus will suffer a physical/psychic shock which is an insta-kill.

I really should become a game designer.
Feces-meter can power the Shitbeam, one of Samus' most powerful weapons! I wonder what kind of doors it could be used to open...

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #816 on: September 11, 2010, 01:43:03 AM
Feces-meter can power the Shitbeam, one of Samus' most powerful weapons! I wonder what kind of doors it could be used to open...

Crapdoors of course.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #817 on: September 11, 2010, 01:43:25 AM
I was alright with most of the stuff in Other M to some degree, but one scene in particular crossed the line for me.

[spoiler]That scene, as most people would agree to some extent, would be the Ridley scene. That was just too much. I understand why she'd react that way, if this was the original Metroid. By this point in time in the timeline though, she's killed him at least twice (four times if you count the Prime games, which is up in the air for Nintendo it seems). I'm sorry, but she would have had that freak-out much earlier than this, and I felt this was a little detrimental to her. Death of the baby metroid be damned.[/spoiler]

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #818 on: September 11, 2010, 01:49:41 AM
I was alright with most of the stuff in Other M to some degree, but one scene in particular crossed the line for me.

[spoiler]That scene, as most people would agree to some extent, would be the Ridley scene. That was just too much. I understand why she'd react that way, if this was the original Metroid. By this point in time in the timeline though, she's killed him at least twice (four times if you count the Prime games, which is up in the air for Nintendo it seems). I'm sorry, but she would have had that freak-out much earlier than this, and I felt this was a little detrimental to her. Death of the baby metroid be damned.[/spoiler]
Read the ANN article a few posts up, dawg. It counters what you just said.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #819 on: September 11, 2010, 01:56:07 AM
The ANN article is dead on.

Also, I can do nothing but shake my heads at the idiots clamoring about how having a personality and emotions makes Samus weak.  If anything, the fact that she grits her teeth and carries on despite all the [parasitic bomb] that's happened to her makes her stronger.

The Other Side

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #820 on: September 11, 2010, 02:03:04 AM
Just for the record, heres the article that discusses other M, (and goes into details about the different comics and mangas as well-)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-x-button/2010-09-08

and the forum discussion
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=134506

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #821 on: September 11, 2010, 02:27:25 AM
The ANN article is dead on.

Also, I can do nothing but shake my heads at the idiots clamoring about how having a personality and emotions makes Samus weak.  If anything, the fact that she grits her teeth and carries on despite all the [parasitic bomb] that's happened to her makes her stronger.
Very much agreed.

Sure, Samus has faced Ridley before.  But it's a shock here.  She not only killed him previously, but the planet he was on exploded, and the Space Pirates seemingly are out of the picture (I don't get that, but that's a whole other discussion), so there should be no chance of him returning.  Samus thought that Ridley was behind her.  She was not prepared to face him again.  Further, going by the "straw that broke the camel's back" mentality, this IS her first game since witnessing her "baby" explode, which Other M makes no small effort to emphasize.  That can't be helping things either.

Oh, and it's five times killed if you count the Primes.  Ridley appears twice in Prime 3.

And sexist?  Honestly?  Like male heroes never panic?  Like male characters carrying guns on their arms haven't hesitated to shoot murderous enemies who may be about to launch a group of missiles into their own city?
(See, more people need to play MegaMan, then we wouldn't have these problems.)

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #822 on: September 11, 2010, 02:40:34 AM
Read the ANN article a few posts up, dawg. It counters what you just said.
I agree to a certain extent. I understand that there's a limit, but it wasn't presented well. As it's presented, it just comes out of nowhere. They spend a majority of the rest of the game with a log entry running in the background, perhaps something to that effect there would have perhaps portrayed it better. As it stand though, that is simply not the case. All we see is her freaking the [tornado fang] out, and so I can understand the criticisms of that particular scene. She takes the time to voice everything else, but here all of a sudden the stuff she says only pertains to what Ridley did in the past, not the fact that he keeps coming back. The presentation still sucks.

edit: To clarify, I'm not screaming sexism like a lot of people. I'm just saying that scene wasn't portrayed well. Just making sure that's out there before people jump down my throat making assumptions.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #823 on: September 11, 2010, 05:27:38 AM
True, the scene could've been done a hell of a lot better.

The Other Side

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #824 on: September 11, 2010, 06:00:12 AM
As it's presented, it just comes out of nowhere.
That's because Ridley came out of nowhere.  And that's the only way it works.  If she knew he was coming then the scene wouldn't have made any sense.  And it would make even less sense if she was just reminiscing about it.  The fact that she thought she could put it behind her, bury it in the back of her head, no doubt contributes to Ridley's reappearance being such a shock.  If she were comfortable discussing him prior, THEN she shouldn't have been panicking.

I will grant you, some further elaboration on their history wouldn't have been a bad idea.  Besides one of Fusion's ending images, the fact that it was Ridley who orphaned Samus hasn't really been touched upon in-game.  That said, the only logical place to fit it in Other M's encounter would be after the point, and by then, the main concern is what happened to Adam and Anthony.  Maybe a full flashback to K2L's scenery as opposed to just showing Samus as a child would have made it a bit more clear, but I still think that the scene as-is works very well.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)