Metroid Discussion Thread

LightningKitsune · 138253

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #350 on: July 31, 2010, 06:27:25 PM

I thought Metroid wasn't very popular nowadays?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #351 on: August 01, 2010, 02:41:23 AM

I thought Metroid wasn't very popular nowadays?
I honestly see no competition in that poll.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #352 on: August 01, 2010, 02:48:28 AM
Some more footage from Comic-con

Sadly, camera control ain't the best :/

Heads up: potential to be a spoiler though.  So tread.

[spoiler][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu20OtEgfGA[/youtube][/spoiler]

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #353 on: August 01, 2010, 02:50:27 AM
I honestly see no competition in that poll.
If they had used Castlevania LoS maybe... But instead they chose HoD, which so far, seems to only be a mashup DL title recycling stages from DoS.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #354 on: August 01, 2010, 02:59:45 AM
If they had used Castlevania LoS maybe... But instead they chose HoD, which so far, seems to only be a mashup DL title recycling stages from DoS.
Again, not alot of people are very interested in that game, and from feedback of those who played it, it seems like it's recycled derivative crap. While Other M is a freaking Metroid game made by freaking Team Ninja! What's not to love?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #355 on: August 01, 2010, 03:20:06 AM
Again, not alot of people are very interested in that game, and from feedback of those who played it, it seems like it's recycled derivative crap.
What, LoS? LoS looks great to me.
Especially when past 3D Castlevanias rate from bad to "decent".
But yeah. Other M. Team ninja aside, its simply the way it is such a departure from Prime, both visually, storywise and in gameplay that make it so amazing.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #356 on: August 01, 2010, 05:07:54 AM
What, LoS? LoS looks great to me.
Especially when past 3D Castlevanias rate from bad to "decent".
But yeah. Other M. Team ninja aside, its simply the way it is such a departure from Prime, both visually, storywise and in gameplay that make it so amazing.
It's still a recycled-backgrounds-from-a-DS Castlevania inserted into an HD setting with co-op, which really doesn't bode well from what the previews say. That, against the option of putting a Castlevania with a hand by Hideo Kojima, and that really does seem like it's trying to break the mold, seems fine.

...only the poll says AUGUST releases, so they couldn't do that.

And Metroid still is the best option. Although Mafia II's looking pretty damn sweet. Anyone around here played the first one?

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #357 on: August 01, 2010, 05:15:12 AM
1. LoS stands for Lords of Shadow, which is the Kojima-supervised next gen game in production.
2. The downloadable mashup game on XBLA is called Harmony of Despair.
3. We have a friggin Castlevania thread for this stuff.

Any more mention of Castlevania in this thread, good or bad, will result in a thousand daggers in the face.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #358 on: August 01, 2010, 05:20:32 AM
1. LoS stands for Lords of Shadow, which is the Kojima-supervised next gen game in production.
2. The downloadable mashup game on XBLA is called Harmony of Despair.
3. We have a friggin Castlevania thread for this stuff.

Any more mention of Castlevania in this thread, good or bad, will result in a thousand daggers in the face.
What's the matter with it? We're discussing it in regard to Metroid: Other M being chosen as the best game released in August, and comparing it.

Plus, this is a Metroid thread. Castlevania discussion will come about sooner or later, since both games have been pretty much the only noteable ones of its type for years (sorry Shadow Complex).

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #359 on: August 01, 2010, 05:23:41 AM
I'm only half serious. Just saying that thread's kinda lonely and the hate you're giving the upcoming game(s?) is more appropriate there.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #360 on: August 01, 2010, 05:30:44 AM
Yeah, but for Castlevania to suck, we need the context of Metroid rocking hard. =P

And I actually really like Castlevania. But against a Team Ninja Metroid... well... no.

I am half-expecting a Flying Bird Leap with mid-air Morph Ball+Bombs everywhere.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #361 on: August 06, 2010, 10:30:27 AM

Look at those HEELS!!!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #362 on: August 06, 2010, 12:28:51 PM

Look at those HEELS!!!
Official art? Oh [parasitic bomb]. Up until now, they didn't ruin her in the slightest bit, but this is making me question them.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #363 on: August 06, 2010, 02:00:37 PM
Official art? Oh [parasitic bomb]. Up until now, they didn't ruin her in the slightest bit, but this is making me question them.
How so? The heels look like a bit much, but otherwise, its fine..

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #364 on: August 06, 2010, 03:01:50 PM
How so? The heels look like a bit much, but otherwise, its fine..
Samus is a soldier. You think she can move around and fight bad guys in high heels?

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #365 on: August 06, 2010, 03:40:26 PM
I hardly think the addition of platform heels to Samus's already skin-tight and extremely revealing bodysuit is earth-shattering.  Besides, I doubt it'd affect the operation of the Power Suit.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #366 on: August 06, 2010, 03:50:41 PM
Samus is a soldier. You think she can move around and fight bad guys in high heels?
As much as she can in a skimpy pink bikini.

Its just an added design to make her look more girly I guess. it not gonna affect gameplay in any way. unless you have to learn her walk mechanics else she twist her ankle. XD

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #367 on: August 06, 2010, 04:10:58 PM
As much as she can in a skimpy pink bikini.

Its just an added design to make her look more girly I guess. it not gonna affect gameplay in any way. unless you have to learn her walk mechanics else she twist her ankle. XD
The bikini was supposed to be a cool revelation at the end of the first game, and carried on in a "mission's over, lemme get into something more comfortable" tradition. I mean, if you went through all the crap she goes on a mission, when you went back home, you'd take a big shower and stay on your underwear lazing around for awhile, right?

And the skintight suit, as long as it works logically, would actually be a tactical upgrade for her in certain conditions where she has to move faster. We've only seen her use it in one mission so far, and it wasn't exactly because she had a choice. The Zero Suit allows her to move a bit faster and more freely, unlike the arsenal she always carries along with her. The material it's made of and the way it moves might even aid her to move instead of restricting her.

But high heels? That's the only design choice so far made for the sake of pure asthetic, and completely useless when looking at it from a logic standpoint. How are high heels going to help her in any way?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #368 on: August 06, 2010, 05:39:57 PM
As much as that mole she didnt have before is going to.

Honestly, we dont even know if we are going to even get to PLAY as Zero suit, it most likely will be a cutscene thing... But hey. opinions. I dont mind the heels, but If I can gripe about helmets, you can gripe about Samus' heels. :P

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #369 on: August 06, 2010, 07:05:42 PM
As much as that mole she didnt have before is going to.

Honestly, we dont even know if we are going to even get to PLAY as Zero suit, it most likely will be a cutscene thing... But hey. opinions. I dont mind the heels, but If I can gripe about helmets, you can gripe about Samus' heels. :P
Samus' helmet works, though. Prime was pretty realistic that way. But high heels are the no-no of fighting fashion. First thing in the Metroid series that sacrifices functionality for the sake of design.

...and it doesn't even look good.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #370 on: August 06, 2010, 07:12:51 PM
Samus' helmet works, though. Prime was pretty realistic that way.
I think he was referring to his constant griping with Zero's helmet in X8.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #371 on: August 07, 2010, 02:28:18 AM
Probably.

The bikini was supposed to be a cool revelation at the end of the first game, and carried on in a "mission's over, lemme get into something more comfortable" tradition. I mean, if you went through all the crap she goes on a mission, when you went back home, you'd take a big shower and stay on your underwear lazing around for awhile, right?
They way I see it, we NEED to have another "suitless with arm cannon" mode.  Sure, the Morph Ball makes no sense that way, but who cares?

And the skintight suit, as long as it works logically, would actually be a tactical upgrade for her in certain conditions where she has to move faster. We've only seen her use it in one mission so far, and it wasn't exactly because she had a choice. The Zero Suit allows her to move a bit faster and more freely, unlike the arsenal she always carries along with her. The material it's made of and the way it moves might even aid her to move instead of restricting her.

But high heels? That's the only design choice so far made for the sake of pure asthetic, and completely useless when looking at it from a logic standpoint. How are high heels going to help her in any way?
Too much Brawl logic, I think.  The Power Suit has been repeatedly stated to aid, not restrict, Samus's acrobatics.

I don't see the Zero Suit as being of any tactical use.  I've always just thought of it as an "underskin" to the Power Suit.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #372 on: August 07, 2010, 03:21:19 AM
Probably.
They way I see it, we NEED to have another "suitless with arm cannon" mode.  Sure, the Morph Ball makes no sense that way, but who cares?
Too much Brawl logic, I think.  The Power Suit has been repeatedly stated to aid, not restrict, Samus's acrobatics.

I don't see the Zero Suit as being of any tactical use.  I've always just thought of it as an "underskin" to the Power Suit.
It's still a change from a bulky suit to a slim outfit. It may change her abilities in other ways. The suit may aid some acrobatics, but hinder others due to flexibility issues. I dunno, but since the Zero Suit's here, they gotta justify it in some way.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #373 on: August 07, 2010, 04:35:00 AM
How do you figure that?  Just because the model exists doesn't mean we'll ever see it outside of a cutscene.  See Prime 2 and 3.

As far as flexibility goes, Other M looks to be unusually physical for a Metroid game as it is, with Samus going in for a lot of grab action.  Doesn't seem to be any issues there.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #374 on: August 07, 2010, 05:09:40 AM
How do you figure that?  Just because the model exists doesn't mean we'll ever see it outside of a cutscene.  See Prime 2 and 3.

As far as flexibility goes, Other M looks to be unusually physical for a Metroid game as it is, with Samus going in for a lot of grab action.  Doesn't seem to be any issues there.
We don't know if the model will be played in the game. I'm just saying I don't like the heels, and they're not functional. And that the Zero Suit should offer some kind of functionality.