Metroid Discussion Thread

LightningKitsune · 138542

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #750 on: September 07, 2010, 06:53:19 AM
Then get a Windows Live account.
I have one. but I can never remember the extension. (the "@[insert here]" since its my college email, its got this long annoying one I never remember)
And im too lazy to go check what it is. :P

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Archer

Reply #751 on: September 07, 2010, 12:36:46 PM
I have one. but I can never remember the extension. (the "@[insert here]" since its my college email, its got this long annoying one I never remember)
And im too lazy to go check what it is. :P

|:

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #752 on: September 07, 2010, 12:43:18 PM
What is it anyway?

Archer

Reply #753 on: September 07, 2010, 12:46:49 PM
You mean that Live Gallery-thing? Dunno. It told me to install the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight and I couldn't be bothered.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #754 on: September 07, 2010, 02:32:47 PM
Learn to use photobucket, kids!

Meanwhile, nobody says anything about the HD Metroid shots I posted. >_>

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #755 on: September 07, 2010, 04:30:55 PM

no no, they are nice.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #756 on: September 07, 2010, 04:36:01 PM
no no, they are nice.
That's what you say to all the guys who post HD Metroid pictures when it's requested in a topic and don't get attention. >_>

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #757 on: September 07, 2010, 04:37:02 PM
awww, Super batsy! dont be that way! The pictures were very nice.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #758 on: September 07, 2010, 06:26:27 PM
I kinda wish I had a computer good enough to handle the Dolphin emulator. Aside from Motion Plus stuff, it seems to do everything the Wii can do, and it works in HD, so games like Metroid, Mario Galaxy and others look absolutely amazing.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #759 on: September 07, 2010, 06:29:49 PM
It doesn't run everything perfectly though, so it still wouldn't be a replacement for an actual Wii.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #760 on: September 07, 2010, 06:35:22 PM
It will eventually, though.

I just hope Nintendo's next console is able to play previous Wii and Gamecube games in HD.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #761 on: September 07, 2010, 06:53:04 PM
It better, those Dolphin shots for games like Galaxy, this game, and Wind Waker are gorgeous.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #762 on: September 07, 2010, 09:59:25 PM

ImageShack might work, too.

Anyways, I just got Super Metroid downloaded into my Wii Sunday, and I'm already hating Maridia because I'm getting so lost in this place trying to figure my way around to the next boss and I keep running into those stubborn gray hatches that won't open even after I killed everything in sight (unless I'm suppose to fight Ridley first)..

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #763 on: September 07, 2010, 11:00:18 PM
I usually get lost a little bit whenever I get to Maridia. And I've been playing the game for over 10 years.

The gray doors unlock when you beat Draygon, actually.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #764 on: September 08, 2010, 01:36:17 AM
Maridia's tricky, but not TOO tough.  For me, it's not so much the gray doors as it is tracking down the Plasma Beam.

I find it kinds silly that the manga is canon. The tone's very different from the game itself.

And, well... Ridley TALKS there. =P
Agreed.

Does anyone actually have a quote on the manga's canon status, though?  I've heard people say that Nintendo said so, but I've not seen such confirmation for myself.  Best evidence I've found is that some of Zero Mission's staff worked on it.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #765 on: September 08, 2010, 01:41:17 AM
I finally found the part of the area in Maridia that I was suppose to shoot and continue on in the game. Now I remember why I hated that place when I played Super Metroid on emulator. 2 hours wasted going in circles looking for the breakable floor. -AC

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #766 on: September 08, 2010, 02:18:24 AM
Maridia's tricky, but not TOO tough.  For me, it's not so much the gray doors as it is tracking down the Plasma Beam.
Agreed.

Does anyone actually have a quote on the manga's canon status, though?  I've heard people say that Nintendo said so, but I've not seen such confirmation for myself.  Best evidence I've found is that some of Zero Mission's staff worked on it.
I think I read somewhere that it stopped being canon awhile ago, mainly because nobody really cared about it enough and it was just silly.

...then again, Nintendo and coherent storylines with well-set canon were never the best of friends.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #767 on: September 08, 2010, 02:27:17 AM
So I was thinking of how Other M could be improved upon, short of just gutting the entire plot. I've got a few thoughts, so please feel free to set them ablaze.

[spoiler=Yeah, spoiler tags in case people still give a damn]

-Sector Zero as a playable area. They took a bit of time to build up the area to players and get them excited only to ultimately cockblock them. Samus should have been allowed to go into the area and encounter these so-called Invincible Metroids. Upon finding out that the computer MB that "Madeline" told her about was a hoax, Samus needs to escape the area or else she's caught in the explosion of the colony. At this point, the Invincible Metroids are swarming like mad, maybe throw in an Alpha or Beta stage version as a midboss at any time in this area before or during the escape.

-I'm not sure how Adam's death would occur, but it'd have to be in a way that keeps the GF clear, otherwise, Samus' involvement with them in Fusion would make less sense. Probably killed by "The Deleter" taking a bullet for Samus?

-Introduce the real Madeline Bergman earlier. It's clear with the whole explanation that she treated MB like a daughter that they wanted to build some emotional sympathy with the player. However, as it stands, this is a worthless thing to do three minutes before she's ultimately killed. There's no emotional attachment and it means absolutely nothing other than "that [sonic slicer] got [tornado fang]'d up." This would also work well if MB was actually fought, as now you have the added factor of Samus hesitating to finish her off (she already feels sympathetic to her after hearing Madeline's account.)

One other little thing I and probably others would have appreciated is missiles and super missiles in third person mode while keeping the side remote style. After examining the controller, I found missiles could have easily been set to B, which can be fired with the left middle finger. To use a super missile, you follow a mechanic similar to Metroid Prime where you charge up your beam. You tap B to fire a missile and, bam, super missile.
[/spoiler]

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #768 on: September 08, 2010, 02:51:50 AM
A good thing would be "Don't end the story so half-assedly by explaining all of the events at once instead of sparingly."

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #769 on: September 08, 2010, 03:11:30 AM
[spoiler] Actually, I didnt mind the way Adam died. (if you didnt get even a little teary eyed, you are either a liar, or heartless.) I thought he died a pretty damn heroic death. ALTHOUGH, it would have been MUCH better if Samus had already encountered Sector Zero and discovered for herself that the Metroids there were unfreezable. THEN Adam can shoot her in the back with a freeze gun, and sort of lock her out of the sector while he does his thing. After all, Fusion, didnt it say he sacrificed himself to save her life? in Other M its more like he simply prevented her from endangering it.[/spoiler]

Archer

Reply #770 on: September 08, 2010, 03:23:00 AM
hearless

I'm sure being deaf makes it real sad.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #771 on: September 08, 2010, 03:38:12 AM
oops.
Well, typos happen.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #772 on: September 08, 2010, 04:36:16 AM
I got my Japanese Other M, and guess what?

0v0 <3

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #773 on: September 08, 2010, 05:42:06 AM
Huh. interesting.

I know I was sorta disappointed the game had French and Spanish but not Japanese.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #774 on: September 08, 2010, 07:18:24 AM
That's just text, Flame. US version has no audio option at all. Which makes me ask why it doesn't have it?

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.