Characters Never Aging

geekgo4 · 12274

Offline Cobalt

• has a nice hat
  • Net Navi
  • orange is the new blue
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 10:11:55 PM
Honestly, most of the time series won't bother to present any kind of time-passing unless it is somehow important to the show, which is why you won't see many comedy series do that; they don't have much of a plot in the first place.

It's also probably why every once in a blue moon you might see an episode about a character's birthday and then it's never mentioned again, since it isn't all that important to the plot.

Offline redjirachi

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 10:40:30 AM
In most fiction, characters never age and and time hardy, if ever, moves. I believe this is because makings some changes can complicate things for the creators, as well as alienate their audence. But still, there are some things that should never change(namely icons), but are their series that you think should move forward and adapt?

Take Family Guy, for instance. Sure, all the other characters age and mature, but why does Stewie remain one? Would aging him to two cause some problems?

And this is probably one of the reasons why most people prefer the Digimon anime over the Pokemon anime. Even in the Pokemon Adventures Manga, the characters age. Of course, the video games were no better.

They don't even look 10.

Perhaps the characters in Pokemon do age,but the producers are too lazy to mention it
As for Stewie,whatever caused him to have a rugby ball head stunted his growth

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 10:49:31 PM
And he's gay too, so yeah...

Also, there was actually a Simpson's ep entitled "That 90's Show" about how Homer was a musician back in the 90's and Marge was his girlfriend, but stuff got weird and it pretty much was a way to poke fun at the 90's. Look it up.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Smiley Emo

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 02:43:16 AM
Also, there was actually a Simpson's ep entitled "That 90's Show" about how Homer was a musician back in the 90's and Marge was his girlfriend, but stuff got weird and it pretty much was a way to poke fun at the 90's. Look it up.

Don't look up that episode. It was a travestly.

I had a dream. A dream where I killed all the humans!

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 02:52:48 AM

The whole show is a travesty now a days, the same gags are being recycled and reused, and everyone else seems to be hopping on the same train too :\

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 07:01:27 AM

There was still a funny image of Sonic being a Advertising [sonic slicer] appearing on a Billboard Proposing to Amy (Lets see that happen in the games, Sega!). Of course, the image is just silly seeing how they are in their current forms instead of the 90's Nostalgia forms. Of course, I liked the episode, I like the Simpsons, despite how its somewhat more stale nowadays.

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: January 25, 2010, 03:16:36 PM
Perhaps the characters in Pokemon do age,but the producers are too lazy to mention it

Actually, Word of God has stated that Ash is still ten years old. That's why none of the romance sub-plots have ever been followed up. *coughAnnabelcough*

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline Kirby Pink

• Joker
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "I play a card."
    • View Profile
    • Sprite Album
Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 12:03:48 PM
The Simpsons comes to mind here.
Maggie is at least 1 year,however she is always same age regardless of episode.
Now look at Apu's kids. They are at least 2-3 by apperance and they can walk.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 01:37:35 AM
Meh. Just examples of how retconning shouldn't be done. Also, I didn't say to look that ep up because it was good. I said to look it up because it was, as you said, a travesty.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline LightningKitsune

• Repliforce 8th Unit Commander
  • Robot Master
  • Smarter than Springman
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 01:39:53 AM
The Simpsons comes to mind here.
Maggie is at least 1 year,however she is always same age regardless of episode.
Now look at Apu's kids. They are at least 2-3 by apperance and they can walk.

Someone should make a "Things that need to die" list.

Bet you Simpsons will be at number one.

Quote from: Protoman Blues
Wily was tired of living in Dr. Light's gluttonous, douche shadow.  Rightfully so, too!  He didn't betray Light.  He valiantly, dare I say, HEROICALLY, casted off his shackles and asserted himself to his rightful place, going so far as to bring order to a world of chaos!

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 01:40:52 AM
Fun fact: The original plan was to release The Simpsons Movie after the show's series finale. That obviously won't be happening any time soon.

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: January 31, 2010, 02:42:17 PM
Fun fact: The original plan was to release The Simpsons Movie after the show's series finale. That obviously won't be happening any time soon.
Nor Ever. At least, Seth Macfarlane knows when to throw in the towel and go down with dignity. His fiction has abetter continuity then The Simpsons(Life in Hell, I can't say, but Futurama DOES have a continuity).

Actually, Word of God has stated that Ash is still ten years old. That's why none of the romance sub-plots have ever been followed up. *coughAnnabelcough*
And he will remain 10 as long as the show is still on the air. Ironically, this show does have a continuity.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 12:58:10 AM
In Pokemon world, you are born at a certain age and that's it.