Reply #405 on: December 18, 2009, 10:30:35 PM
And thus, we're done here!   8)

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #406 on: December 18, 2009, 10:33:05 PM
YAY! in b4 lock Well, I was glad to get that off my chest, at least. Can't do jack [parasitic bomb] about it, but still glad.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #407 on: December 18, 2009, 10:36:38 PM
That, and:
  • Not 16-, 32-bit or 2.5D
  • No sliding or charged shots for Mega Man
  • No original abilities for Proto Man
  • No fourth playable character
  • Lack of an antagonist whose title is something other than "Dr."
The list goes on...
I like MM9 better than MM10.

Hypocrit much?

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #408 on: December 18, 2009, 10:39:50 PM
But unfortunately, there will be no female Robot Masters this time out; instead, Producer Keiji Inafune allowed the developers a chance to create their own bosses for the Blue Bomber’s latest venture.
Now this sounds familiar... RM design contest perhaps?

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #409 on: December 18, 2009, 10:41:34 PM
It applies ONLY to MM10.

Except everything you said applies to MM9 as well. So why are those reasons for 9 being liked better than 10?

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #410 on: December 18, 2009, 10:43:35 PM
Because MM10 is a carbon copy of MM9... well, almost. MM9 should have been the LAST game to do this. But it doesn't matter now.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #411 on: December 18, 2009, 11:17:35 PM
You know... there is indeed something I wanna see in here. More exploring. Not to the degree of Metroid games though.

MM6 and 7 did a really good job at that.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #412 on: December 18, 2009, 11:34:12 PM
I'd love to someday see split paths and more exploring similar to Junk Man's stage. That will make you revisit stages more. :3

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #413 on: December 18, 2009, 11:41:38 PM
I'd love to someday see split paths and more exploring similar to Junk Man's stage. That will make you revisit stages more. :3

I liked how MM6 placed 2 of the same RM in the same stage.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #414 on: December 18, 2009, 11:41:45 PM
Shade Man's stage had that too.

And quite a few stages in MM6

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #415 on: December 19, 2009, 12:05:08 AM
Hmm... why didn't I think of that before? Maybe there should be dead ends also.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Will our future be good? Only the cards will tell.
    • View Profile
Reply #416 on: December 19, 2009, 03:05:59 AM
Here is a little something that I noticed in an interview with Inafking, in the latest issue of NP:

Nintendo Power: Was there any feedback you received from fans on Mega Man 9 that was especially surprising?

Keiji Inafune: It was a great, happy surprise for us that the NES style was so widely accepted. In the early stage of the development, we internally discussed the option of having both old-school NES style graphics and next-gen style, [and we'd allow] the player to choose between the two. However, we believed that a revival of the NES style would surprise people and be appreciated. And the result exceeded our expectations-- so many people enthusiastically welcomed the NES style.

So, there you have it. MM9 was originally supposed to have the option to switch between NES-style and new-gen graphics.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #417 on: December 19, 2009, 03:44:20 AM
The should have done it. It would have made all sides happy.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #418 on: December 19, 2009, 03:56:49 AM
Not to mention production value & release date would take longer just to have both graphic styles in a game. X_X

Personally I'm satisfied with the way they went in MM9. Megaman started on the NES style. it should STAY in 8-bit NES style.

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #419 on: December 19, 2009, 04:05:34 AM
Not to mention production value & release date would take longer just to have both graphic styles in a game. X_X

Personally I'm satisfied with the way they went in MM9. Megaman started on the NES style. it should STAY in 8-bit NES style.
I still find that a bit unfair. That's like sayinf MMX should only be in 16-bit. Why not adapt?

You hated 7, 8, & Bass, didn't you?

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #420 on: December 19, 2009, 07:29:57 AM
That's not what I meant.  X(

I actually played 7 & 8 back in the day. Though they were fun, but I think they might have missed something. Just didn't quite feel right.
So it's not like i totally dissed the games. I enjoyed the other games beyond 6. But I think 8bit is a lot more fun to play then any other style. Not to mention its a lot easier to draw 8bit sprites graphics wise.  óVó

Also, I think I remember somewhere, either reading or hearing something about K.Inafune wanted to explore more around the 8bit style mega man games before moving on to other style graphics. Considering that's where megaman started anyway, it kind of makes sense here.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #421 on: December 19, 2009, 09:03:12 AM
8 was missing Rush Coil. But the Mega Ball and T. Hold pretty much made it a useless thing anyway. Though many of Rush's forms werent that useful. Rush bomber wasnt that great (IMO,) and Rush bike just didnt have any practical applications except for getting that one bolt in Clownman's stage.

Jet was missing too, but then again, it wouldnt really be needed and would be too broken with 8's stages. Plus, although Rushjet is only in certain segments, I liked how you could get him to be able to attack too.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #422 on: December 19, 2009, 03:53:32 PM
8 was missing Rush Coil. But the Mega Ball and T. Hold pretty much made it a useless thing anyway. Though many of Rush's forms werent that useful. Rush bomber wasnt that great (IMO,) and Rush bike just didnt have any practical applications except for getting that one bolt in Clownman's stage.
Are you F*@#ING kidding me?  Rush Bike is damn awesome!  It's like an on-call Ride Armor, only faster.  ...it's also timed, but still.

Jet was missing too, but then again, it wouldnt really be needed and would be too broken with 8's stages. Plus, although Rushjet is only in certain segments, I liked how you could get him to be able to attack too.
I actually LOVED the idea of stages, and a boss, being Rush Jet based.  I wish, if they insist on denying us the MM3 broken Jet, they could at least do that again.

8 I loved, and I think Rush had great abilities even if they weren't key to stage navigation.  Mega Ball functioned as the Coil replacement and that let them get more original.  But if you want lousy Rush, MM&B is it.  Rush Search and *NOTHING* else.  Morons.  7 I wasn't really too fond of either, due to the introduction of Search, which I hate, the fact that Jet is near useless as-is, and the fact that all Rush support is pretty much rendered worthless once you get the Super Adapter.

...you know, that's one thing I will say for the NES graphics style, is how the character-size-to-screen-size ratio impacts gameplay.  Post-3's "fixed" Rush Jet really doesn't work as well in modern styles because the characters are larger-scale; you can't see nearly as far ahead of you in SNES.  

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Will our future be good? Only the cards will tell.
    • View Profile
Reply #423 on: December 19, 2009, 04:09:15 PM
Here is another part of the interview that caught my attention (I had forgotten to post it, so I apologize for that :-[):

Nintendo Power: What is the most challenging part of creating a new entry in such a long-running series?

Keiji Inafune: The challenge for a long-running series is nothing but to meet the expectations of all the fans that increase in number with each installment. In particular, it's always challenging to try to exceed MM2 and MM4, which are highly regarded in the series.

That explains why each MM sequel added more features.

But...MM4 being highly regarded? What happened to MM3, then? Then again, Inafking probably still has hard feelings towards that one, given how the development cycle went...

...you know, that's one thing I will say for the NES graphics style, is how the character-size-to-screen-size ratio impacts gameplay.  Post-3's "fixed" Rush Jet really doesn't work as well in modern styles because the characters are larger-scale; you can't see nearly as far ahead of you in SNES.  

I agree with this. In the NES style, the characters have a much "smaller" size than in their contemporaries. When they are "larger", there is less room to move and a bigger margin of error (not being able to jump over certain up-to-scale RMs, for example).

Mend certainly had this in mind, while developping Rockman 7 FC. That, I thank him for. owob

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #424 on: December 19, 2009, 06:54:30 PM
Bring back MM3's jet, MM4's Balloon, a Pharaoh Shot like attack and improved next gen graphics, I am good.

That's not what I meant.  X(

I actually played 7 & 8 back in the day. Though they were fun, but I think they might have missed something. Just didn't quite feel right.
So it's not like i totally dissed the games. I enjoyed the other games beyond 6. But I think 8bit is a lot more fun to play then any other style. Not to mention its a lot easier to draw 8bit sprites graphics wise.  óVó

Also, I think I remember somewhere, either reading or hearing something about K.Inafune wanted to explore more around the 8bit style mega man games before moving on to other style graphics. Considering that's where megaman started anyway, it kind of makes sense here.

MMX8 had next gen graphics why not the original series? As shown with MM8, there are a lot of things Capcom could with the resources they had and given Capcom does Mega man games, they should have looked at what worked in previous games and improved on them while putting in stuff. The Classic series had always been cartooniish and lighthearted and I don't understand why can't do anything with next gen graphics? Considering what they did with R & F, MM8 and recent Powered Up, you'd think Capcom could give us the best of both worlds so that they could appeal to every gamer.