MegaMan 10 - More Playable Blues

Protoman Blues · 200869

Offline RockmanHalo

• Just a regular Cleveland...
  • Net Navi
  • Polackman
    • View Profile
Reply #225 on: December 14, 2009, 08:15:29 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love it. It'll give me a reason to dig my Wii out again. However, I can't help feeling that CAPCOM will never get out of this "Retro is all they want" phase. I loved Megaman 9; it was a great idea and wonderfully executed...but stuff like that loses it's value when it's done so often. I'm not complaining about the time frame though, as I recall they released a new Megaman game every year (at least) before and no one cared that much.

Talk. Fast.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #226 on: December 14, 2009, 08:50:59 PM
Why doesn't Inti create a new Classic game that utilizes 16 or 32 bit graphics akin to that of Mega Man & Bass or even Mega Man 7?
Thank god I'm not alone. It seems that either Capcom or some Mega Man fanboys can't seem to get over the 8-bit Mega Man high and don't want to move on to something else.

• No female Robot Masters
  • 8-bit style

CAPCOM I AM DISAPPOINT
But still I look forward to MM10.

Don't get me wrong, I love it. It'll give me a reason to dig my Wii out again. However, I can't help feeling that CAPCOM will never get out of this "Retro is all they want" phase. I loved Megaman 9; it was a great idea and wonderfully executed...but stuff like that loses it's value when it's done so often. I'm not complaining about the time frame though, as I recall they released a new Megaman game every year (at least) before and no one cared that much.

Quoted for the truth. PREACH IT!

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #227 on: December 14, 2009, 09:01:25 PM
If the games are good, what's the problem with what boils down to an art decision?

I guess I understand if people want Mega Man to move on like, say, Resident Evil did. But that doesn't mean we must have 3D gameplay in HD graphics and nothing else. Why not have a Metroid Prime-like side series AND the 8-bit goodness we all love?

Offline RockmanHalo

• Net Navi
  • Polackman
    • View Profile
Reply #228 on: December 14, 2009, 09:12:49 PM
If the games are good, what's the problem with what boils down to an art decision?

I guess I understand if people want Mega Man to move on like, say, Resident Evil did. But that doesn't mean we must have 3D gameplay in HD graphics and nothing else. Why not have a Metroid Prime-like side series AND the 8-bit goodness we all love?

I'm not saying that it just boils down to an art decision. Far from it. I want more depth to the games. Look at that one Megaman 3 remake, with the 3D aspect!

Talk. Fast.

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Will our future be good? Only the cards will tell.
    • View Profile
Reply #229 on: December 14, 2009, 09:15:06 PM
Somehow I think we're never going to get a RM like that.
That being said, AtomMan kinda rolls of the tongue better.

In that case, they'll probably save him for the final Classic MM installment.

That said, I do agree with the Atom Man name. In a way, this would be fitting, since the first MM was originally supposed to be a Tetsuwan Atom (aka Astro Boy) game. It'd be like, going full circle, or some such.

As for the whole presentation issue, to each his own. Besides, I think it's silly to complain about a MM game with 8-bit graphics, when the majority of MM fan game projects use those. After all, we're in a generation where people take gameplay for granted and visuals for greatness, while most games are casual in content and/or difficulty. ::) Isn't good gameplay and challenge the most essential thing?

But hey, to each his/her own. ;)

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #230 on: December 14, 2009, 09:15:47 PM
I'd argue that Mega Man 9 was deeper than most Mega Man games that came out after the NES era, but I guess to each their own.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #231 on: December 14, 2009, 09:28:56 PM
Somehow I think we're never going to get a RM like that.
That being said, AtomMan kinda rolls of the tongue better.

[tornado fang] that. Nuclear Man's awesome.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline RockmanHalo

• Net Navi
  • Polackman
    • View Profile
Reply #232 on: December 14, 2009, 09:29:02 PM
I'd be content with the current approach to MM Classic for the rest of the series. However, I'd enjoy consuming it more if it tried to do thing just a bit different. I honestly don't know what, but that's my two-cents. (Adjusted for inflation...about $3)

Talk. Fast.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #233 on: December 14, 2009, 09:33:47 PM
I'd argue that Mega Man 9 was deeper than most Mega Man games that came out after the NES era, but I guess to each their own.
Possibly it had more width, but depth I can't see.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #234 on: December 14, 2009, 11:51:16 PM
I'd say that 9 beats 7 easily.  MM&B is arguable; it has the better shop system, but MM9 easily has the better fortress.

I don't think that 9 surpassed 8.  8, in my book, stayed closer to NES quality than 9 did despite its new-age visuals.  But that's just me.

To me, the Classic series isn't just about presentation.  The NES presentation creates a unique experience given how it impacts body size versus screen size and movement.  But style does not define quality, and while 9 mimicked the NES style to a T, I think it has a few more hurdles to jump before it returns to NES quality.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #235 on: December 14, 2009, 11:54:40 PM
Oh I do love MM8. I really love it.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #236 on: December 15, 2009, 12:21:09 AM
Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I say I didn't enjoy MM8 as much as the others. It's not my least favorite, but something about it is missing.

My counter, though, is that MM7 is my favorite Classic game.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #237 on: December 15, 2009, 12:41:29 AM
My counter, though, is that MM7 is my favorite Classic game.

Well, what do you think of Mend's Rockman 7 FC version, then?

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #238 on: December 15, 2009, 12:41:36 AM
Both with 7 & 8, I wasn't a big fan of the 4 Robot Masters first, then another 4 next.  

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #239 on: December 15, 2009, 12:45:15 AM
Yknow, Now that someone's brought up the style issue, Ive remembered this. Its something that  I completely forgot about, but...
Capcom? Wheres my HD Remix Megaman?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #240 on: December 15, 2009, 02:00:55 AM
In the back burner MM Legends but I am glad that I am not the only one who see this. I use to play Mega Man 3 on an NES when I was younger, I realayed the NES games on an emulator but I don't believe that Retro is going to stay for very long. While it is nice to relive the early days, Mega Man should move on to greater pursuits while retaining what made Mega Man so great.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #241 on: December 15, 2009, 02:29:19 AM
I've liked the opening stages, but there should be more middle stages, like the ones where you defeat the first four RMs, then the middle stage, then the other four RMs. You dig?

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #242 on: December 15, 2009, 02:34:38 AM
like the ones where you defeat the first four RMs, then the middle stage, then the other four RMs. You dig?

I remember being quite frustrated with MMs 7 and 8 because I could only access half of the stages at first. (Doubly so for MMnB)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #243 on: December 15, 2009, 02:37:43 AM
I will be fine with Megaman as a franchise staying in 2D for a while, as long as Capcom gives me a beautiful HD Makeover a la Street fighter 2 HD.
And with it, some fresh additions. Not 2 over and over again. Id like to see some new Rush adaptors. That idea was cool. Maybe the return of Beat; and hell, maybe include Tango, poor thing. People barely know poor ol' Tango.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #244 on: December 15, 2009, 02:40:01 AM
I remember being quite frustrated with MMs 7 and 8 because I could only access half of the stages at first. (Doubly so for MMnB)
I would prefer if they did it like in megaman x4, where you fight whichever four, fight in the mid-stage (or cutscene in zero's case.) Then resume fighting the other four.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #245 on: December 15, 2009, 02:41:24 AM
I will be fine with Megaman as a franchise staying in 2D for a while, as long as Capcom gives me a beautiful HD Makeover a la Street fighter 2 HD.
And with it, some fresh additions. Not 2 over and over again. Id like to see some new Rush adaptors. That idea was cool. Maybe the return of Beat; and hell, maybe include Tango, poor thing. People barely know poor ol' Tango.

DEFINITELY Rush Search. MAYBE a Rush adaptor. MAYBE an HD Mega Man when it hits 2.5D.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #246 on: December 15, 2009, 02:49:20 AM
Wow Flame, you really are a graphics whore.

Well, what do you think of Mend's Rockman 7 FC version, then?

I actually haven't seen too much of it. But what little I did see didn't disappoint. I like how Rush Search was absent, but that's because Mega Man & Bass made me hate it so much.

Both with 7 & 8, I wasn't a big fan of the 4 Robot Masters first, then another 4 next.  

I do kind of have a problem with that. It's limits the freedom Mega Man was based on. You should be able to go wherever the hell you want, whenever the hell you want. Same goes for MM&B's branching path mess.

But what really got me about MM8 in particular, though, is that this split caused a break in the weakness circle. At least MM7 and MM&B had one concrete loop. Also, this caused Sword Man's stage to absolutely depend on the first four boss' weapons. I don't like that practice, either. It's fine for a Wily stage to demand you use a specific weapon to progress, but it's not cool for a Robot Master stage. It doesn't stop me from playing the game, or even enjoying it. It's just a pet peeve.

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #247 on: December 15, 2009, 03:04:30 AM
I actually haven't seen too much of it. But what little I did see didn't disappoint. I like how Rush Search was absent, but that's because Mega Man & Bass made me hate it so much.

I do kind of have a problem with that. It's limits the freedom Mega Man was based on. You should be able to go wherever the hell you want, whenever the hell you want. Same goes for MM&B's branching path mess.

But what really got me about MM8 in particular, though, is that this split caused a break in the weakness circle. At least MM7 and MM&B had one concrete loop. Also, this caused Sword Man's stage to absolutely depend on the first four boss' weapons. I don't like that practice, either. It's fine for a Wily stage to demand you use a specific weapon to progress, but it's not cool for a Robot Master stage. It doesn't stop me from playing the game, or even enjoying it. It's just a pet peeve.

The whole "We interrupt this robot master line-up, to annoy you and make things generally irritating" thing pretty much started with the Game Boy spin-offs, so Capcom probably wanted to "expand" on the MM experience by tossing it in the main entries.

Of course, given how much attention the Classic series was getting compared to X at that point, you can hardly blame them for doing such a tactic. :|

The MM level setup shines, when you can choose whoever you want to take on, THEN proceed to the fortress(es) once the line-up is done. It's this formula, that distinguishes Mega Man from other action-platformer series. Capcom eventually seemed to have lost track of that in favor of trying to "mix things up a bit", especially since Inafking got less involvement with each subsequent title (after 3, anyway).

That said, you can get Rockman 7 FC here, thanks to Gauntlet's article on that: http://themechanicalmaniacs.com/articles/RM7NES.php

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #248 on: December 15, 2009, 03:22:20 AM
Wow Flame, you really are a graphics whore.
Im just upset at what they're doing with the 8 bit style. (or what theyre NOT doing, either way.)
Plus, so what? graphics arent necessary, but they are nice. they make for eye candy as well as thumb candy. Plus its another option of "evolution" for the franchise (completely forgot about it till now actually.) that I assume the retrofags can still apprecite since the general gameplay wouldnt change at all; and in fact, the graphics would still be the same, redrawn.
Personally, if I got an HD remix megaman, I wouldnt mid forgetting the 3D notion and sticking to 2D. (I wouldnt mind either way, just the 3D offers potential.)

But back on the topic of the boss break, (4 then 4 more) Its an odd thing to do, but I think X4 DID do it better. You could choose any 4, then after the midboss/stage, the other 4.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #249 on: December 15, 2009, 04:34:28 AM
I'm freaking so happy about Megaman 10 it's all I'm probably going to talk about until it comes out most likely.

God I love Megaman so much.

Also I don't know why there are so many arguments over such silly things that capcom is doing/not doing in this game. Pretty much every game (Megaman related or not) has good aspects and bad. Some have more good and some more bad. As long as it's Megaman, has good music, and is fun that's all I care about. really =]