GENERAL COMIC BOOK THREAD (MANGA NOT ALLOWED)

Rin · 208744

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #475 on: August 28, 2010, 07:11:33 AM
[tornado fang] YEAH. They're making a Knight & Squire comic!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #476 on: August 28, 2010, 10:13:46 AM
Uh, a bit old news, but yes. =P Known for about a month or so.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #477 on: August 28, 2010, 11:43:11 AM
No.

Blackest Night is a complicated event to read. Specially because it goes like this:

- Green Lantern #43
- Blackest Night #0
- Blackest Night #1
- Green Lantern #44
- Green Lantern Corps #39
- Blackest Night #2
- Green Lantern #45
- Green Lantern Corps #40
- Blackest Night #3
- Green Lantern #46
and so on and so forth through the rest of the event. You're only reading a third of the event with the GL hardcover. Get it along with the Blackest Night hardcover, at least, and leave the GLC one for last, because although it's quite essencial, it's not THAT essencial and some details can be left out.

If you want to get just a single book, get the Batman & Robin HC or the Final Crisis HC (it's a worthy book to have in hardcover)

Get the Batman run from the start with Batman & Son, Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul, The Black Glove and RIP if you like maximum order.

If you want the GL run from the start, get Green Lantern: Rebirth, Green Lantern: No Fear and Green Lantern: Revenge of the Green Lanterns. Just as the regular order.
Okay, thanks.
I decided in the end, to save up some money, and I'll probably buy Batman & Robin HC, and Casshern Sins Part 1(ANIMU DVD) from a certain other shop.
Tough it will take month or two.
Cause I'm not so rich.
Thanks again for the tip.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #478 on: August 28, 2010, 01:45:01 PM
Also, if you're going to buy only one single book from Marvel, make it this one:

12 issues. Another awesome Warren Ellis comic.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #479 on: August 28, 2010, 02:30:19 PM
>Mark Millar Lick Goats
I lol'd.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #480 on: August 28, 2010, 02:53:32 PM
Uh, a bit old news, but yes. =P Known for about a month or so.

First I've heard of it! Still happy!  8)

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #481 on: August 28, 2010, 03:16:02 PM
What makes Civil War so awesome? And what comics by Grant morrison that I can get into to become familiar to his writing?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #482 on: August 28, 2010, 03:32:23 PM
What makes Civil War so awesome? And what comics by Grant morrison that I can get into to become familiar to his writing?

Actually, I thought Civil War sucked.

And I would say the best work to get into Morrison would be his run on JLA. Afterwards you can look back on some of his earlier work, but I'd say start with JLA: New World Order.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #483 on: August 28, 2010, 03:36:48 PM
For other people interested in Nextwave:

This is Dirk Anger.

He loves H.A.T.E. And H.A.T.E. loves him.

Civil War isn't awesome. For someone starting to read comics, it's pretty awesome to read, but once you read something like Annihilation, which happened at the same time as Civil War, you gain a newfond hatred of everything in the Marvel Universe that happens on Earth, and think they're all a bunch of superpowered primadonnas who do nothing but squabble all day about [parasitic bomb] that doesn't really matter instead of coming together and saving existance.

Civil War is basically people going "gee, I think it's not really okay for people who just get superpowers randomly to go around playing vigilante legally, because someone might get hurt", Tony Stark going "Yes, you're right. So EVERYONE MUST NOW REVEAL THEIR SECRET IDENTITIES AND REGISTER AS A PART OF THE GOVERNMENT MILITARY. ALL THOSE WHO DO NOT COMPLY GET LOCKED IN A PRISON I BUILT IN THE NEGATIVE ZONE. YOU KNOW, THAT ALTERNATE UNIVERSE WHERE PRETTY MUCH EVERYONE IS EVIL? I'M PUTTING ALL THE EVIL AND NON-COMPLIANT GOOD GUYS THERE. IN A PRISON. THIS IS A TOTALLY GOOD IDEA."

And Captain America acts like a [sonic slicer] because registration would actually be a good thing, but he thinks that every single kid who is able to shoot fire from his hands should legally be able to run around in a costume breaking public property.
That's what Civil War is about. Heroes squabbling between each other instead of facing bad guys.

As for good Grant Morrison entry books, there are quite alot of good ones. But I think the most recomended is Grant's run on Animal Man. Animal Man #1-#26 is all written by Grant Morrison, and generally considered one of the best examples of meta-narrative in comics. It's awesome. And issue #26 will pretty much tell you what kind of person Morrison is, guaranteed. Don't let anyone spoil you what it is =P

You can then try his run on the 90's JLA. He wrote a few amazing stories back then, from the start to issue #41. Although he has alot of awesome guest writers such as Mark Waid. Mark Millar, Devin Grayson, Mark Waid, and J.M. DeMatteis.

But if you want something more light-hearted and at the same time with the ability to be darker while EXTREMELY awesome, there are a few more recent amazing series which are worth a read. One of my favorites, is Seaguy. A superhero who has a big talking fish as his best friend, and isn't taken seriously, in a quest to be a true hero. It's an amazing tale (MUST be read with the sequel series, Seaguy: Slaves of Mickey Eye or you'll get extremely depressed with the ending).

All in all, of all the comics Morrison has ever written, I think I've only read a single bad one. The small one-shot "Kill Your Boyfriend", when he dabbled in indie. The rest? All AMAZING. All of his work.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #484 on: August 28, 2010, 03:41:57 PM
No.

Blackest Night is a complicated event to read. Specially because it goes like this:

- Green Lantern #43
- Blackest Night #0
- Blackest Night #1
- Green Lantern #44
- Green Lantern Corps #39
- Blackest Night #2
- Green Lantern #45
- Green Lantern Corps #40
- Blackest Night #3
- Green Lantern #46
and so on and so forth through the rest of the event. You're only reading a third of the event with the GL hardcover. Get it along with the Blackest Night hardcover, at least, and leave the GLC one for last, because although it's quite essencial, it's not THAT essencial and some details can be left out.

If you want to get just a single book, get the Batman & Robin HC or the Final Crisis HC (it's a worthy book to have in hardcover)

Get the Batman run from the start with Batman & Son, Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul, The Black Glove and RIP if you like maximum order.

If you want the GL run from the start, get Green Lantern: Rebirth, Green Lantern: No Fear and Green Lantern: Revenge of the Green Lanterns. Just as the regular order.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. I was having a conversation with someone a few weeks ago and he was commenting on how hard it is for him to get into any comic books because he can never figure out where to get in. And now that I'm trying to get back in myself, I see where he's coming from :P

Also, if you're going to buy only one single book from Marvel, make it this one:

12 issues. Another awesome Warren Ellis comic.
Well, the art looks a bit like ass, but "Mark Millar Lick Goats" is enough for me to get interested! Then again, I just finished Planetary and the lack of cliched plots elements definitely made for an interesting read.

[spoiler]Seriously, the whole comic builds up to this epic confrontation between Elijah Snow and The Four, and instead Elijah fucks their days up without ever throwing a single punch. Though, I do wish I knew what the question Dawling never had an answer to was before Elijah went Authority on his ass[/spoiler]

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #485 on: August 28, 2010, 11:11:48 PM

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. I was having a conversation with someone a few weeks ago and he was commenting on how hard it is for him to get into any comic books because he can never figure out where to get in. And now that I'm trying to get back in myself, I see where he's coming from :P
Well, the art looks a bit like ass, but "Mark Millar Lick Goats" is enough for me to get interested! Then again, I just finished Planetary and the lack of cliched plots elements definitely made for an interesting read.

[spoiler]Seriously, the whole comic builds up to this epic confrontation between Elijah Snow and The Four, and instead Elijah fucks their days up without ever throwing a single punch. Though, I do wish I knew what the question Dawling never had an answer to was before Elijah went Authority on his ass[/spoiler]
It's not that hard. Blackest Night is a CROSSOVER event. That's why you need to follow so many different comics, and it pretty much affected all of DC, with three issues coming out for every major superhero book dealing with the events of that night.

To follow Green Lantern? Just read Green Lantern: Rebirth for the event that brought him back (if you're interested on how he came back) and start reading the normal comic, normally. It's as simple as that. You'll only get a crossover event in Sinestro Corps War, and even then, it's with Green Lantern Corps only, and the whole thing is collected in two small paperbacks.

Oh, and here's another plug for Cosmic Marvel.

Gods allying with each other to lay waste to enemies that want to destroy the galaxy in a single swoop with their dead-ness?

For Marvel Cosmic, it's tuesday.

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #486 on: August 29, 2010, 05:09:37 AM
In regards to "One Moment in Time", I found this while cruising TV Tropes. Magical Platypus, I would pay good money to see "Breaking the Deal" in four-color format.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #487 on: August 31, 2010, 02:52:38 AM
I've decided to post the reading order for the Grant Morrison Hypercrisis books. Most of the stuff takes place in the Bat-books, but there's quite alot of outer stuff.

Now, this isn't the required order to read. These are simply all of the Bat-books Morrison wrote over pretty much 20 years, and how they managed to all link together in some way to conclude in this big epic we're reading. These are all of the references he gives through the years, all the stuff that clicks together in an awesome way.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #488 on: August 31, 2010, 04:46:49 AM
Does DC One Million fit anywhere into this?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #489 on: August 31, 2010, 04:49:14 AM
I'm guessing you could count that among Morrison's JLA run.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #490 on: August 31, 2010, 05:17:24 AM
Yep, fits in there.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #491 on: August 31, 2010, 06:12:24 AM
DC One Million still boasts one of my favorite Kyle moments ever, in which he starts a supernova and contains it with his willpower!

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #492 on: August 31, 2010, 06:22:43 AM
Leave it to Morrison to write something so epic, and to have a vision of the far, FAR future.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #493 on: August 31, 2010, 06:28:07 AM
Did anyone else in here read the Hourman comic based on the future Hourman from DC One Million? I loved that comic!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #494 on: August 31, 2010, 07:35:40 AM
I haven't read DC One Million in such a long time... really should re-read it.

And dammit, as simplistic as it is, I LOVE Solaris the Tyrant Sun.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #495 on: August 31, 2010, 07:56:53 AM
As do I. Solaris was a great villain.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #496 on: August 31, 2010, 11:30:52 AM
So, I'm slowly moving through both Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps. I forgot how easy it is to just read and read these books. Especially when they tie into each, you don't wanna put them down.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #497 on: August 31, 2010, 01:43:24 PM
So, I'm slowly moving through both Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps. I forgot how easy it is to just read and read these books. Especially when they tie into each, you don't wanna put them down.
They only start tying into each other in the Sinestro Corps War. But yeah, events are referenced in each other, Mongul goes through one another, and stuff.

Damn, I'm gonna hate this week. There's literaly nothing to read. Just Brightest Day #9.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #498 on: August 31, 2010, 02:06:14 PM
They only start tying into each other in the Sinestro Corps War. But yeah, events are referenced in each other, Mongul goes through one another, and stuff.
Yeah, I read Green Lantern for a few issues before hitting Recharge. Read a few more GL's till I got to the first GLC's month and then started alternating. That way, everything will be around the same come Sinestro Corps War then I'll try and read them with the Batman issues till I'm all caught up and ready for Final Crisis on all 3.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #499 on: August 31, 2010, 03:29:26 PM
Honestly, I'd tell you to just skip Final Crisis when you're on GL/GLC. Only thing you need to know for Blackest Night is that Batman's "dead", and the have a corpse. Keep following those two comics, then when you get to Final Crisis, just skip ahead to Blackest Night, so you can enjoy the Geoff Johns Trilogy (as he said, Rebirth-Sinestro Corps War-Blackest Night) as it's meant to be read.

Once you're all caught up on Brightest Day and all the latest stuff that's going on, start with Batman. Because Final Crisis is much more related to the Batman run than all of the other stuff, and you NEED to play very close attention to the run, or you'll miss alot of things.

...BTW, does anyone else think that what's currently happening on Booster Gold is kinda depressing? I mean, I love the current arc. DeMatteis basically decided that as DC at least doesn't allow him to bring Blue Beetle back just yet, he's making Booster go back in time to the JLI years in order get something there, and he basically meets up with Blue Beetle and ends up having a few lighthearted comedic adventures with him and other JLI regulars. It's awesome to have such a classic story like this, but doesn't this feel like "Oh man, we used to be so happy back then, remember?"? As great as Generation Lost is being, it's still a run where, aside from the usual jokes, they're being chased all over the world and looking for a madman on the loose. And Booster's growing alot as a character, but he still quite misses Ted.

I just hope DC does what's right and does for DeMatteis what they've done for Dini. Basically granting them their fanboy wishes and let them write what they want about the characters they want. I want Ted back, and I'd love it if the Booster Gold book was turned into something like "Blue and Gold", or something similar. They could have awesome time adventures with classic humor.