GENERAL COMIC BOOK THREAD (MANGA NOT ALLOWED)

Rin · 208746

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #425 on: August 20, 2010, 09:17:24 AM
So I read issue 2 of that Darkwing Duck series. It's gonna be awesome!! ^.^

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Bloodedge

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #426 on: August 20, 2010, 09:19:59 AM
Read Super Sonic vs. Hyper Knuckles and the Sonic 3D Blast adaption earlier today. Just as awesome as they were all those years ago.

"To protect the world from Japanamation, To overthrough the Kaiba corporation,
To denounce the meaning of the original dub, to extend our reach to the world above,
Team Fourkids blast of at the speed of light, surrender now or prepare to fight,
Meowth that's right..."

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #427 on: August 20, 2010, 06:26:38 PM
Read Super Sonic vs. Hyper Knuckles and the Sonic 3D Blast adaption earlier today. Just as awesome as they were all those years ago.
Are they from Archie?
Because I think I rad them once upon a time. It was painful.
The only thing I enjoyed from Archie, was the Knuckles series.

Offline Bloodedge

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #428 on: August 20, 2010, 06:59:54 PM
Are they from Archie?
Because I think I rad them once upon a time. It was painful.
The only thing I enjoyed from Archie, was the Knuckles series.
Yup, the original Sonic CB series was with Archie. -has every Sonic and Knuckles comic book ever made- :cookie:

"To protect the world from Japanamation, To overthrough the Kaiba corporation,
To denounce the meaning of the original dub, to extend our reach to the world above,
Team Fourkids blast of at the speed of light, surrender now or prepare to fight,
Meowth that's right..."

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #429 on: August 22, 2010, 10:45:58 PM
To all old-school Archie Sonic fans, if you start reading the titles from 200th onwards, you'll find that the story, art and overall plot and design has SIGNIFICANTLY improved, and it's a great entry for any kind of new fans. They've successfully turned the Sonic comic GOOD.

Man, I wasn't here this week for the comic releases. What did I miss from DC?

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #430 on: August 23, 2010, 04:10:55 PM
To all old-school Archie Sonic fans, if you start reading the titles from 200th onwards, you'll find that the story, art and overall plot and design has SIGNIFICANTLY improved, and it's a great entry for any kind of new fans. They've successfully turned the Sonic comic GOOD.

Duuuude... that's like, what I said when I made that one thread about Sonic The Hedgehog comic once.
Good to know I'm not alone here.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #431 on: August 23, 2010, 06:38:28 PM
So, I'm finding myself unsure of where to jump back into DC. Their [parasitic bomb] is too convoluted at times.

I'm figuring read Blackest Night then get into Brightest Day. For Batman, maybe start at.. Battle for the Cowl or just jump into the new Batman & Robin? Also, what about Gotham City Sirens?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #432 on: August 23, 2010, 08:51:58 PM
So, I'm finding myself unsure of where to jump back into DC. Their [parasitic bomb] is too convoluted at times.

I'm figuring read Blackest Night then get into Brightest Day. For Batman, maybe start at.. Battle for the Cowl or just jump into the new Batman & Robin? Also, what about Gotham City Sirens?
NONONONONONONONONO.

DC continuity as of the present, must be followed through in one of two ways:

1- The Geoff Johns story, which is what's being done for Green Lantern, Flash and other DC heroes, and it follows the general DC Universe, concerning Blackest Night and Brightest Day
2- The Grant Morrison story, which takes place in the Bat-books, starting with Batman & Son, going through Final Crisis, his "death" and return, and will end with the Batman Inc series that starts this year.

They're both good stories (there's also stuff like the Superman family New Krypton storyline, and the Booster Gold/JLI stuff if you want to get into more detail) and they're pretty much THE continuity in DC at the moment, and what you need to read if you want to follow DC right now.

Lemme give you pointers on how to follow them:

Geoff Johns continuity (Blackest Night, Brightest Day...)

- Green Lantern: Rebirth
- Green Lantern Corps: Recharge
- Regular current issues of Green Lantern (V4) and Green Lantern Corps, which will take you through the Sinestro Corps War storyline, and the Prelude to Blackest Night)
- Blackest Night (along with GL and GLC tie-ins which are 100% necessary)
- Brightest Day (along with tie-ins if necessary, no idea so far which are more important, but GL will most certainly be)

The Geoff Johns storyline and continuity forms a great story, epic and anime-like in scope at times, with shiny colorful powers, a great cast of characters, and a very likeable plot. Fun for everyone.
----

The Grant Morrison Continuity:

- Batman & Son
- Batman: The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul
- Batman: The Black Glove
- Batman: RIP
- Batman: Last Rites (generally included in RIP but part of Final Crisis)
- Final Crisis (just important for Batman's death but seriously, WORTH A READ. Best damn comic in awhile)
- Battle for the Cowl (not written by Morrison and not that good, but whatever, it's in-canon)
- Batman: Reborn (Issues 687-699 written by Tony Daniel. Not really that important, but fun in their own right)
- Batman & Robin (the continuity of all the previous titles was contained in the Batman book. This expands into its own comic. Currently ongoing)
- Batman #700 (not really completely in canon yet but awesome in its own right and seriously insane)
- The Return of Bruce Wayne (again, it's his own 6-issue miniseries)
- Batman: RIP The Missing Chapter (chronicles what happened between RIP and Final Crisis, the last moments of Batman's Life. Batman #701/702)
- The Return (separate series portraying Bruce's actual return and how it influences each of the characters around him
- Batman Inc

The Grant Morrison plot is absolutely brilliant, and pretty much the best Batman has EVER been in its entire existance. But it's not for everyone. The plot pays tribute to alot of old elements, it escapes from the broody and dark streetstyle to portray Batman as the amazing mind he truly is, and readers play detective as they read it and uncover tons of elements about Bruce's past, and the entire Batman mythos in an amazing way.

I can give you clear details of how to follow each and every single one of the plots. And download links by PM if you need.

tl,dr: Don't just follow storylines haphazardly. There's a beautiful, rich storyline behind it all, and it's amazing once you know all of the elements. And doesn't take that long to go through it, really.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #433 on: August 24, 2010, 05:15:36 AM
Pretty much what he said! XD

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #434 on: August 24, 2010, 05:25:06 AM
Just read issue 3 of the Darkwing Duck series. They've set it up nicely, giving a nice epilogue to the series to link it to this, explaining what happened to make everything how it is in St. Canard. I'm loving this series! ^.^

Highly recommended to all of you!

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #435 on: August 24, 2010, 10:58:00 AM
Pretty much what he said! XD
It frightens me how I'm such a nerd and would type it all hundreds of times for anyone even loosely interested in either story. >_>;;;

Just read issue 3 of the Darkwing Duck series. They've set it up nicely, giving a nice epilogue to the series to link it to this, explaining what happened to make everything how it is in St. Canard. I'm loving this series! ^.^

Highly recommended to all of you!
This has come as the biggest surprise of all. The best example I have ever, ever, EVER seen of any comic in the world... Of how to return to something great in STYLE. The art is absolutely beautiful and the whole thing just reads so satisfyingly and in-tune with the old show...

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #436 on: August 24, 2010, 11:05:14 AM
I like the incidents that DW and Launchpad refer to. LP's is definitely in style with his old character (same with that job he tried getting...)

I CAN FLY THIS!

No... no you can't...

I laughed so hard at that.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #437 on: August 24, 2010, 01:54:17 PM
I guess I tried to avoid it, but there is just no escaping it.

The latest issue of One Moment In Time makes me cringe in a bad way. So Mephisto made sure that one lone guy took revenge on Spider-Man and took advantage of all of those years in order to make ends meet as opposed to if that one guy had been jailed in the first place? And again, Quesada makes sure to RUB IT ALL ON OUR FACES that Spider-Man cannot possibly be close to anyone without them being horrible hurt in several ways by constantly reminding us of that fact in actual dialogue. It is as if Quesada made every single character in the comic an avatar of himself, and is trying to beat us over the head with the same old facts.

...not just that, he just made Mary Jane run around at night with a trained killer chasing her for at least half an hour without getting minimally injured, and portraying the whole thing as a joke.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #438 on: August 24, 2010, 05:58:36 PM
tl,dr: Don't just follow storylines haphazardly. There's a beautiful, rich storyline behind it all, and it's amazing once you know all of the elements. And doesn't take that long to go through it, really.
I understand this quite well. Truth be told, I wish I could've been following routinely for years, but being poor and not having the resources has unfortunately left me quite out of touch with my only ties being what ever shows up at the library from time to time. And as I said, with comics these days, accessibility for someone not knowing where to start is very haphazard.

You didn't say anything about Gotham City Sirens, though :P

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #439 on: August 24, 2010, 06:22:27 PM
I understand this quite well. Truth be told, I wish I could've been following routinely for years, but being poor and not having the resources has unfortunately left me quite out of touch with my only ties being what ever shows up at the library from time to time. And as I said, with comics these days, accessibility for someone not knowing where to start is very haphazard.

You didn't say anything about Gotham City Sirens, though :P
Get what you can, download everything else. I-ve been following quite alot of comics, and I do plan on getting all of them when they come out in trade paperbacks, but I take no guilt on reading them first online. I'll send you a PM with a helpful directory of downloadable files of pretty much all required reading in fast download.

...and Sirens is Paul Dini doing cheesecake. What more do you need to know?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #440 on: August 24, 2010, 07:49:17 PM
Comics are pretty much written for trade paperback form nowadays, so I don't blame people at all for downloading the individuals issues, then buying them when they finally come out in that form.

Man though, I can't wait for tomorrow. I hate missing a week of comics (even though I don't think anything important came out for me last week), and plus tomorrow Superman: Secret Origins FINALLY finishes up!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #441 on: August 24, 2010, 11:31:01 PM
Comics are pretty much written for trade paperback form nowadays, so I don't blame people at all for downloading the individuals issues, then buying them when they finally come out in that form.

Man though, I can't wait for tomorrow. I hate missing a week of comics (even though I don't think anything important came out for me last week), and plus tomorrow Superman: Secret Origins FINALLY finishes up!
Most comics are, of course. But I certainly can't imagine reading stuff like All-Star Superman or Batman and Robin all at once the first time around. It'd ruin the mood.

And although I'm heavily anteciparing Secret Origins, I still hate it for the fact that it is being made such a short time after Birthright was the PERFECT Superman origin, and the best ever told.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #442 on: August 24, 2010, 11:37:49 PM
Most comics are, of course. But I certainly can't imagine reading stuff like All-Star Superman or Batman and Robin all at once the first time around. It'd ruin the mood.

And although I'm heavily anteciparing Secret Origins, I still hate it for the fact that it is being made such a short time after Birthright was the PERFECT Superman origin, and the best ever told.

.....LoL, but All Star Batman & Robin hasn't even finished yet!   8D

And very true about Birthright, but I'll be honest, I really [tornado fang]ing love Secret Origins thus far. He combined pretty much every aspect of Supes' origin over the years, even stuff from Smallville I think!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #443 on: August 24, 2010, 11:40:56 PM
.....LoL, but All Star Batman & Robin hasn't even finished yet!   8D

And very true about Birthright, but I'll be honest, I really [tornado fang]ing love Secret Origins thus far. He combined pretty much every aspect of Supes' origin over the years, even stuff from Smallville I think!
All-Star Batman and Robin, the Miller monstrocity, has finished, actually. =P Batman and Robin hasn't, but it's been collected in a hardcover already, the first volume. I dunno if I should get it. I LOVE that damn book, but in hardcover?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #444 on: August 24, 2010, 11:44:30 PM
All-Star Batman and Robin, the Miller monstrocity, has finished, actually. =P Batman and Robin hasn't, but it's been collected in a hardcover already, the first volume. I dunno if I should get it. I LOVE that damn book, but in hardcover?

It has? When? LoL, I never recalled seeing the final [tornado fang]ing issue.  Well, something else to pick up tomorrow.

I have all the issues, so I don't need Batman & Robin in hardcover. Now, Green Lantern: Rebirth & All Star Superman? Those WILL be bought in Absolute form!  8D

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #445 on: August 24, 2010, 11:48:35 PM
It has? When? LoL, I never recalled seeing the final [tornado fang]ing issue.  Well, something else to pick up tomorrow.

I have all the issues, so I don't need Batman & Robin in hardcover. Now, Green Lantern: Rebirth & All Star Superman? Those WILL be bought in Absolute form!  8D
For awhile now. I never even read it, I just remember someone telling me that it finished. No way am I going near that thing. I prefer to remember Miller SANE.

And I think I will most likely get Batman and Robin in hardcover. It's become one of my favorite comic books lately. And have you heard what Cameron Stewart said on Twitter?

"Those who thought my run on Batman and Robin was too cartoony will spit blood when they see what I've done with issue 16"

I am going to LOVE THIS. Fanboy drama and the cartoony style I love? Heck, I'm hoping for a cameo of Seaguy and Chubby da Choona. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #446 on: August 24, 2010, 11:52:00 PM
I'm gonna have to check it out. I bought it because it's so [tornado fang]ing absurd. Haha, and I don't know if I'd ever define Miller as "sane." Just better.

Has anyone else been reading Zatanna?

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #447 on: August 25, 2010, 05:12:49 AM
Get what you can, download everything else. I-ve been following quite alot of comics, and I do plan on getting all of them when they come out in trade paperbacks, but I take no guilt on reading them first online. I'll send you a PM with a helpful directory of downloadable files of pretty much all required reading in fast download.

...and Sirens is Paul Dini doing cheesecake. What more do you need to know?
Awesome, alright.

So, that's the DC list. What about on the Marvel side of things? I know I'm not [tornado fang]ing with Spider-Man with what Quesada is doing to it. Shame, he's my favorite Marvel character. On the other hand, though, I can pick up where I left off on Ultimate Spider-Man, so that'll help.

The only other thing I know I want to follow is X-Men.

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #448 on: August 25, 2010, 06:41:24 AM
Avengers Academy, Avengers: The Children's Crusade, and Invincible Iron Man are the Marvel titles I'm currently reading. Oh, and did anyone catch the Metool cameo in Avengers Academy #3?

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #449 on: August 25, 2010, 10:29:38 AM
DISREGARD MARVEL

READ MARVEL COSMIC

You know how when DC's good, it's really good? Marvel Cosmic is like DC being always good, only Marvel. In space. Just start with the Annihilation arc from the beginning and go from there. It's probably one of the greatest comic book events I have ever read, and it's at least the most epic. It's about a bunch of guys protecting the universe from its biggest threat of all time while the Earth just had unnecessary Civil War squabbles about nothing (and continues to have unnecessary soap operas about primadonna superheroes while everything going on in Marvel Cosmic just gets MORE awesome by the minute.

Anything Greg Pak writes is good too. He was the one who wrote the concluding issue to the Hulks war, and made a GOOD ENDING to the entire Loeb mess, so we're talking about a classy writer. Just start reading the Incredible Hercules storylines, and go through the 4-issue Amadeus Cho: Prince of Power mini, which concludes today.