Maverick Hunter X6. Nightmare System

Flame · 11218

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 08:49:58 PM
found the page I was looking for.

it is only speculation, but it makes sense, considering what the back of the box says, and what the Night,are actually does.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #26 on: November 06, 2009, 09:41:50 PM
Get equipped with: Updated Disclaimer

"After speaking with a few "friends", we've come to the conclusion that the above information may or may not have been actual content intended to appear in the game. It's quite possible the sources of said information might have misinterpreted official X6 announcements, blowing them out of proportion."

In other words, could very easily be X7/X8 co-op syndrome.

Especially since item 2 on that list basically IS the final Nightmare System.  I'm not sure why Protodude was claiming that such a feature is absent; maybe he means permanent changes and not ones which can be overridden by another effect?

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 09:54:14 PM
Get equipped with: Updated Disclaimer
get equipped with:
it is only speculation,

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: November 06, 2009, 11:52:57 PM
Well, it doesn't make sense to me, that they would re-word the same entry twice.  Given the track record from pretty much every other console MegaMan game from X5 onwards, a similar blow-out in X6's descriptions both on packaging and pre-release doesn't strike me as odd at all.

What have boxes, manuals, introductions, and pre-release announcements told us about other MegaMan games?
-The Maverick Wars lasted for centuries prior to Eurasia (X5)
-X mysteriously disappeared (X7)
-2 player co-op (X7)
-2 player co-op AGAIN (X8)
-5 new playable characters, 1 female (Command Mission)
-Island bathrooms are acceptable as evil headquarters (Xtreme2)
-Various name mistranslations (X5 Mavericks, X5 4th Armor, numerous Legends characters)

That's just off the top of my head.  In light of that, I would not put much merit in an exaggeration of X6's existing features.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: November 07, 2009, 02:52:29 AM
-Island bathrooms are acceptable as evil headquarters (Xtreme2)
Lol Lavatory. I remember that one. 8D

What does the Japanese X6 case say?

also, it makes for interesting speculation in any case, what they SHOULD or WOULD do in the event of a MHX6, about the Nightmare system. I think they would no doubt make it work better.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 05:29:55 AM
In my first post I covered how the system would be managed.

As for the effects themselves...  Well, the only one I consider lousy as-is would be Mijinion's.  X6 is really not a game where you can afford limited visibility.  Turtloid's should probably ease up during areas with long jumps; it can really screw you in Yammark's alternate stage.  But the ability to choose effects at the Stage Select would alleviate that.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: November 07, 2009, 06:29:07 AM
One thing that could be fixed: While the majority of Nightmares change two stages, Player affects three stages, and Wolfang only affects one. That could definitely be a fix to be made. Either one of the stages affected by Player could be instead affected by Wolfang, or every stage could get completely different effects altogether.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: November 07, 2009, 06:48:33 AM
It would be interesting if Wolfang could affect Heatnix' stage... Icing it over in certain places, and maybe blocking certain spots, opening up new ones.
and Vice versa.

Another cool one, would be maybe Acid rain in Yammark's stage. and, maybe a Nightmare for Yammark. I dont think his stage caused any changes in others.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 08:09:35 AM
Another cool one, would be maybe Acid rain in Yammark's stage.

It already can rain in Yammark.

and, maybe a Nightmare for Yammark. I dont think his stage caused any changes in others.

He makes a bunch of dragonflies appear in Sheldon and Heatnix.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: November 07, 2009, 09:00:19 AM
It already can rain in Yammark.
why not make it ACID rain then?

He makes a bunch of dragonflies appear in Sheldon and Heatnix.
Oh he makes those flies appear?

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #35 on: November 07, 2009, 03:12:09 PM
If one gets killed/possessed, just quit the game and use the 'use previous data' option to get right back in there.  It's not really that complicated.

The Metal glitch pretty much overrides the shop system altogether though.
Isn't it kind of telling that people advise savescumming or exploiting to get around nuisances in the game, though?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: November 07, 2009, 04:21:26 PM
I'm not sure if it's really "savescumming" when you can do it without creating an actual save file (XC aside since that is a compilation issue, and there are plenty of worse ones than that).  I'll grant you that expanding the stage exit to apply regardless of whether or not the level was cleared would have streamlined things a bit, but the end result is still the same.

why not make it ACID rain then?
Lack of healing points I'd imagine.  Of course, you could spin it as lowering defense instead of causing constant damage.

The rain, as-is, interferes with jumping since it pushes you to the side.  Kinda like Tornado Man's stage in MM9.  Except a lot more aggravating seeings how X6's jumps are more tricky.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: November 07, 2009, 05:43:18 PM
The rain should never be a problem in Yammark's regular area. His secondary, though, can cause problems if you're not properly equipped. Though though, there's absolutely nothing in Yammark's secondary, so why bother going there? If you want to farm from Dynamo, there's plenty other places to do it.

The rain causes a bit more of a problem in Scaravich. I'm specifically thinking of one of the first four layouts the game can give you. The one with the desert background and ceilings. Because of the RNG, it's sometimes hard if not impossible to clear some jumps, creating a situation much like X's leap of faith in Gate 3.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: November 07, 2009, 08:40:13 PM
I never noticed that it did that...

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: December 26, 2009, 02:07:20 AM
I had recently played X6 and it is a game that is good but could have been better. Compared to its predecessor, the game is pretty much a challenge to and surprisingly despite what reviews may tell you, it is actually fun. Mega Man X5 is mostly more annoying than engaging but X6 just had the right balance of storytelling and gameplay, I sympathize with the Mavericks of this game more than I do any other Mega Man X game and I really understand Gate's plight although this doesn't excuse his actions, I understand Gate and why he was screwed over by the government. I wish that this game could have been better and that it expanded on this system, especially when you do in one level affects the other level similar to X1 except it uses Nightmares not weapons. I really wish that some levels could had been designed better such Blaze Heatnix's level, we could have done without those annoying donut robots ann it should had been a ride chaser where we could the motorcycle to blaze across the level. 

Blizzard Wolfang's level is very annoying at the beginning, what is the deal with those falling ice appearing out of nowhere and the tetris blocks....I really wish they could do more with this. Ground Scaravich's level is just the wackiest level I had ever seen, just what it is the purpose of those totem poles teleporting you to another area? I agree with the posters who said that should have randomized the levels and not just change certain parts but also the entire level to spice things up a bit. Also, the manga style cutscenes as cool as it may be, I would rather they did something similar to X4 with animated cutscenes even visual novels had more animation than what I had seen in both MMX5 and MMX6. I don't want to see a visual novel but I want to play a Mega Man X game. A lot of things could had been used here, Xtreme2's shop system or a Dialbo esque level change but overall I enjoyed this game even more X6. I don't why X6 is grilled by some fans and it may not be the best MMX game but it certainly is fun.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: December 26, 2009, 04:12:33 AM
Right.  The best is Xtreme2. >U<

X6 remains my favorite main-series game, which is not to say I believe it to be objectively the best.  I see many production value issues and yes the Nightmare System is more annoying than anything else.  But the core level design outside of the Nightmare System is generally well done, especially since among the abundance of power-ups there is not a single one that requires a boss weapon as either X or Zero.  It's one thing to hack, password, or New Game Plus your way into starting with everything.  It's quite another to earn it yourself, conquering every nook and cranny of the stages without any boss abilities.  X6 is the only game in which this is possible.  The challenge level is engaging, although admittedly this is not the way to cater to a wide audience.  But to the people who know MegaMan inside and out, navigating these levels requires every trick in the book.  It's like the Lost Levels of MegaMan.  At the same time no obstacle has only one way of clearing it, so it affords some level of personalized play style.

Perhaps X6's single best step was releasing the restraints of X5's convoluted power-up system and outright abandoning its ranking system (you're never punished for taking too long, taking too much damage, killing too many foes, failing to use a boss's weakness, or killing bosses too early).  You can get everything, you can get it all with any character, and you can equip it all with any armor.  As brutal as the game is, by the time you've cleared it all you are a [tornado fang]ing TANK, and the best part is that the game's enemy mobs, Gate's Lab in particular, are so insane that even with all that power, combat is still engaging and you still can't afford to get too reckless.  No other X-series game has that level of scale to its battles.  X6 may not be for everyone, but if you're up to it, it is an experience like no other.

The Nightmare System is really what needs fine-tuning the most.  At the very least seeing what effects are present needs to be more user-friendly, so that the Stage Select doesn't display only the most recent changes.  Also even though Use Previous Data remedies this just fine on PS1, allowing Stage Exit at all times would help streamline things.  And of course, the infamous Sentsuizan is the textbook definition of why the ability to turn a saber skill off isn't a bad idea.