AquaTeamV3 · 2132

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
on: October 14, 2009, 04:41:32 PM
In your opinion, what makes for a good compilation (i.e. MMAC, X Collection)?  In my opinion, a good compilation should have the games featured playing flawlessly, as well as a considerable amount of bonus content.  I think Capcom was pretty horrible at this when it came to the MM games, as some of them were butchered (MM8's sound), and the bonus content was done pretty sloppily.  Having to run through the menu screens was more annoying than novelty as well.  And then there was the button configuration issue in the GC version as well.  X collection was better, but I was kinda dissapointed at the lack of voices in X6 altogether.  The bonus content didn't seem too interesting either, and seemed kind of sloppy in arrangement.  Kind of sad really, as CM did a better job at that then both collections combined.

As far as examples of good ones go, the Street Fighter series generally got it right, as the games were arcade perfect and you got some nice bonuses like being able to watch the SFII animated movie.  Alpha Anthology was good as well, with HSFA and Gem Fighter being excellent additions to an already arcade-perfect transition of games.  Sonic Mega Collection and Gems Collection did exceedingly well in this area; filled to the brim with bonus content (Vectorman!).  My only gripe was the game-unlocking method in SMC, which was a lot of time spent just tring to get S3&K; however, it was nice of them to transfer your S3 files over to the new game.  The comic book section in particular was nice, even allowing you to read Sonic Firsts.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 04:57:51 PM
I think Mega Man Anniversary Collection is just lazy. They figured there was no other legal way to acquire these games at this day, that people would buy them anyway, and handed the collection to some nobody company. I have so many gripes with it that the post would be huge. GC controls are just one of 'em. I'm very glad I got the Wii to revive the classics exactly as they looked and played.

Mega Man X Collection is much better, though I'd prefer the original X3 instead of the one with the music that sounds like a broken merry-go-round...

Sonic Mega Collection Plus is incredible as far as content, especially with the option to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles and not just separate (which would be an easy way out for Sega). Tons of unlockables too. But the unlocking method is retarded. I actually spent months postponing the whole process to play Comix Zone (which honestly wasn't nearly worth so much trouble). Sonic 1 for the Genesis also has some audio desync problems in the beginning, though that might just be my copy.

Honestly, if they focus all their efforts on making the collection faithful to the original material I can do without extras. Aside from the interview in MMAC, they're not even that interesting anyway. And the menu interface with Mega Man running, so, so unnecessary and anti-design... they didn't even try to make the screen scroll in the middle...

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 05:53:01 PM
Mega Man 7 (specially the text cutscenes), and the MMAC menu, were programmed in Flash. >U<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 05:04:35 AM
Wait, so we were playing a Flash SNES emulator?  O_o

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 05:21:01 AM
Must've been why the Mode 7 Ending sequence wasn't working. It wasn't an issue that they couldn't understand, it was because they were using flash. (I wondered why the text looked so un-megaman like.)

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 05:26:33 AM
It definitely wasn't a pixel perfect port of the original... XD

Any way, there's two main things that I ask for, when it comes to a compilation

1) Pixel perfection - In short, when I purchase a collection that contains a number of my favorite games, I would prefer to be able to play those games verbatim to how I remember them. How the Mega Man, Capcom Arcade and Sonic collections have done a lot to fall flat in this area, in spite of the technology that was available even at those times, baffles me. I should not have to deal with any thing relating to graphical glitches, slowdown, and other runtime problems that didn't exist in the original version.

Or, the other school of thought.

2) the "All Stars" way - To this day, I don't think any collection of games has done as much as Ninty did with this pack. Take all of the old stuff, give it a fresh coat of next-generation paint, while still possessing a great deal of what made those original games as sexcllent as they always were. That's the other way I like my collections, in that, I would certainly love to see something that gave me perhaps not only that which I was familiar with, but more on top of that. As long as it doesn't take away from the original package deal, then shoot, GIMME!

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 05:41:22 AM
Everybody loves Super Mario Collection for some reason... I would like to see a new version that incorporates the additions from the Super Mario Advance series, but lets you turn them off if you want to.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 09:05:40 PM
Not having to unlock the games.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 09:11:01 PM
-post-

Go home guys, this thread got its best possible answer right here. XD

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 02:25:19 AM
Simply put the originals should play either as good or potentially better than the originals (correcting system limitations, especially applicable to the NES).  Extra content?  It's nice, but it's not mandatory.  Controls adjustment?  Well, when you're working with a new controller it happens.  AC's reversal was senseless but by no means a deal-breaker for me.

MMAC was kind of a mixed bag.  8 was horrid, and there were a few musical hickups in the others (Bass's PF Ending is the most painful).  1-6 are improved over the NES performance (nice to eliminate flickering and sound channel interference), but at the same time, the fact that they based them on the PS1 Complete Works only to strip out the vast majority of the extras annoys me to no end.  I actually did like the menu interface, though.  Beats the hell out of XC's, and the new BGM for it was awesome.  Took the best two title themes in all of gaming history and mixed 'em together, brilliant.

XC achieved more accurate emulation, far superior to AC.  At the same time, the fact that they couldn't properly loop SNES music is unbelievable (I can only hope that is a sign of the new soundtracks that were allegedly cancelled; DAMN I WANT TO HEAR SOME REMIXED X2!!!).  Other than that it works.  X6's lack of voice is disappointing but at the same time I can understand it as a filesize-conscious decision (unlike, say, ZX).  Then again, maybe if they could have properly sequenced the SNES it wouldn't have mattered.

Mega Man X Collection is much better, though I'd prefer the original X3 instead of the one with the music that sounds like a broken merry-go-round...
Even if there are several instances where I prefer SNES music, and I most definitely prefer SNES SFX, I'm still happy they brought the PS1/PC version over and very much admire their decision to do go.  Why?  Because that version was previously unavailable in this region.  It was a great act of fanservice.  Granted, the option of both would have dodged the issue, but GCN disc limits and (again) lack of proper SNES sound emulation probably didn't help matter.

1) Pixel perfection - In short, when I purchase a collection that contains a number of my favorite games, I would prefer to be able to play those games verbatim to how I remember them. How the Mega Man, Capcom Arcade and Sonic collections have done a lot to fall flat in this area, in spite of the technology that was available even at those times, baffles me. I should not have to deal with any thing relating to graphical glitches, slowdown, and other runtime problems that didn't exist in the original version.
Refresh my memory, what runtime issues did Sonic Mega Collection have?  Granted my focus is mainly on S3&K, but the only major issue I noticed is the weirdo instrument swap in Sky Sanctuary.

2) the "All Stars" way - To this day, I don't think any collection of games has done as much as Ninty did with this pack. Take all of the old stuff, give it a fresh coat of next-generation paint, while still possessing a great deal of what made those original games as sexcllent as they always were. That's the other way I like my collections, in that, I would certainly love to see something that gave me perhaps not only that which I was familiar with, but more on top of that. As long as it doesn't take away from the original package deal, then shoot, GIMME!
I love All-Stars, but it is not perfect.  There is a valid point in that jumping physics for SMB/Lost Levels are off.  Lost Levels also got nerfed in some areas (not as badly as Mario Bros. Deluxe, but still).  The NES original is a whole other beast.  And then some minis are missing from the SMB3 Versus selection.  NES also has the definite superior fireball SFX (I thank NSMB for preserving it).

On the other hand, the fresh coat of paint worked wonders, especially for 2/USA and 3.  And the FRIKKIN NEW BOWSER MUSIC IN 1/LOST LEVELS is something I really wish Nintendo would acknowledge in all their retro-loving (that and the fact that bridges over lava shall be destroyed with an *AXE* and not a damn switch).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)