Rare Wants To Bring Back Classic IPs With Natal

Jazz Shaking · 2098

Offline Jazz Shaking

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
on: August 18, 2009, 01:13:09 AM
VideoGamer posted up an interview with Rare where they shed some light on some of their plans with Natal. It seems they want to bring back some of their classic IPs with new Natal functionality, and have one in mind in particular. They wouldn't clarify which one though.

Originally Posted by VideoGamer:
Great news for Rare fans: The legendary UK developer has said Microsoft’s motion-sensing technology Project Natal provides it with an opportunity to investigate some of its older classic games.

Not only that, but Rare reckons it could do an “absolutely phenomenal, world-beating” Natal version of one classic IP in particular.

Speaking exclusively to VideoGamer.com, design director George Andreas, who has been with the company for 15 years, said “there are IP that we have looked at and are looking at and will be looking at in the future”.

Rare has one of the most impressive back catalogues of any developer in the world. In the 90s it created some of the greatest games of all time, including Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct, GoldenEye, Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day and Diddy Kong Racing.

After being purchased by Microsoft in 2002, Rare moved on to creating games for the Xbox 360 console, including Kameo: Elements of Power, Perfect Dark: Zero, and more recently Viva Piñata and, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

Andreas said: “Natal as well gives us an opportunity to maybe at some point in the future investigate some of those older IPs. I won’t name names.

“One in particular actually I think we can do an absolutely phenomenal, absolutely phenomenal version on with Natal. The interface, the way you interact with it – I think it would be an absolutely world-beating product. But we need to explore a little bit more in that direction.”

Rare is knee deep in secret Natal projects at the moment, and recently advertised for designers to help it create experiences for the technology. Rare was also behind the New Xbox Experience Avatars, which launched last November.

Andreas added: “Yes, there are IP that we have looked at and are looking at and will be looking at in the future as well. So, never say never. Nothing is dead in the water. There is always scope to bring something back if we feel it’s the right time.”

When asked what classic franchise he was referring to, Andreas replied: “I’ll keep that to myself for now.”

Food for thought, Rare fans.
Source: http://www.videogamer.com/news/rare_...lassic_ip.html

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 01:18:38 AM
Perfect Dark. Come on, what's to know? FPS? Sliding keycards? Messing with wires?

Heaven forbid it's Conker, or else you'll be subject to more humiliation than WarioWare: Smooth Moves!

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 01:20:52 AM
I don't think Rare have ever made a good game.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 01:26:53 AM
I don't think Rare have ever made a good game.

Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie would have said [tornado fang] you, but Nuts & Bolts had them bound and gagged in the backroom next to Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, & Killer Instinct. XD

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 01:43:23 AM
Perfect Dark. Come on, what's to know? FPS? Sliding keycards? Messing with wires?
I would like to see more of the Laptop gun, at the very least.

Offline Rock Bomb

• Worst Example of a
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 02:02:45 AM
Why does the article keep abbreviating IP? How am I suppose to know what it is?

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 02:09:10 AM
What, the abbreviation IP?

Irritated platypus.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 02:09:59 AM
Does this mean we'll physically get to do "C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!" and "ULTRA! ULTRA! ULTRA!" 8D

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 02:16:56 AM
Why does the article keep abbreviating IP? How am I suppose to know what it is?

Yeah, and what the hell is UK meant to mean?

it's intellectual property bro could you at least try

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 02:46:09 AM
Battletoads or gtfo.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 03:20:59 AM
Too bad the general interest on natal is rather low.

From what I've seen at least.

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 04:31:58 AM
my local intellectual property is 127.0.0.1