Most Useful Gimmick Weapon?

AquaTeamV3 · 18650

Poll

Which one of these did you find the most useful?

Triple Rod
2 (7.4%)
Chain Rod
10 (37%)
Recoil Rod
9 (33.3%)
Z-Knuckle
6 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
on: August 04, 2009, 12:10:02 AM
Just curious which one of the 'Gimmick Weapons' people got the most use out of.  For me, it was the Chain Rod, as it's a pretty all-around resourceful tool.  There nothing cooler than pulling a Pantheon towards you and firing a charge shot right into it.  Ripping shields off of those pesky Pantheon Hammers was pretty awesome too.  The ability to swing off of walls was nice, and actually saved my life a few times.  Energy Chain was pretty much the icing on the cake for me.

The Z-Knuckle is a close second; I just wish more of the attachments had unlimited ammo.  I like the Ice Buster, but only having 8 shots kinda blows.  That head part doesn't help that much, either.  Recoil Rod would be third, as watching enemies fly across the screen is pretty humorous, as well as the semi-useful pogo function, but that's about it.  I really didn't get much use out of the Triple Rod at all.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:37:01 AM
I dunno about useful as I didn't use them all that much, but I really enjoyed the superjump from Recoil Rodding the ground. Or an enemy! Most flashy, perhaps.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 01:08:46 AM
Zero Knuckle would have so owned this poll if only Ciel smacked you for using it on her....

Besides that, the bummer of ZK for me was the inability to carry weapons between stages.  I love that Flame Sword, but it's only available in two levels.

So, yeah, I'm gonna go with Chain Rod as well.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:30:45 AM
I'd have to go with the chain rod as well. The ability to pull enemies into spike beds in the ancient ruin stages was a hell of a lot fun.
Although I wish you could pull lighter enemies over your head and fling them behind you, into a wall, off a cliff, or what ever your fancy for unique murder would be. Oh, and swinging on walls and ceilings Indiana Jones style is very fun! Although I wish he could do more intricate things with it. I know that's asking a bit much for a gba game, but damned if it wouldn't make it more fun. That's what I find to be very much like what zero's good at. It's never been about getting bigger and better stuff to unload on to enemies for him. He just finding cooler ways to use what he's got. Which is why I like him so much in this series. He's very resourceful and efficient this time around. Maybe they'll bring this weapon back sometime?

The Recoil Rod takes close Second. Not only is it strong enough to break through shields but it has enough force left over to send anything else behind it flying right off the screen and into whatever's unfortunate enough to be in it's path(And it works great on bosses too, but that's about the only step up from the chain rod). It can also do the same for you only to your advantage, whether pushing heavy blocks around or catapulting you up to an unreachable platform. So if your looking for raw power to be your war buddy than this is a great weapon to use!

Third would have to be the Tripe Rod. I don't care what you guys say, It can do great damage if you know how to use it. It has the piercing power of the recoil rod and can be used to po-go stick your way across a sea of enemies. I especially had a lot of fun getting revenge on fefnir when ever he threw me up into the air only to have me come down on top of him and plunge into him with my extension rod!(and don't get me started on how it works on levi) Also the charged attack deals just as much damage, if not more with the inclusion of elemental effects, as the triple attack. But because that was thrown into the chain rod this little gem of a weapon gets bumped down sadly... :(

Coming into fourth is the shield boomerang. I don't know why you guys neglected to include this one in your line up, maybe your all just lazy, or didn't care enough about it to even bother to give a damn, but that's fair enough since I don't like it that much either. This weapon would be good because it mows down enemies like grass and you can do a lot of cool stuff with it in the 3rd installment. But playing jump rope with this thing is about the most amusing thing you can do with this. I may be wrong but other than being a spinning blade of robo-bloodshed and death this thing actually makes a pretty poor shield! Since the enemies bullets come in so slow you would be better off dodging them the old fashioned way then using your so called shield to deflect them back at them.  It just takes to long! The bullet erase feature for your Z-saber comes in more handy than this. The least it could do is redirect the shots into enemies you hate slightly more that the ones shooting because they're a little more difficult to reach. I really wish it could do more with it like bounce it off of walls, or maybe let you catch it when it returns and fling it back into enemies fire again only with more momentum. So you could keep bouncing it off a wall, back and forth killing anything in between. Oh, and it should always be able to deflect fire, even while in boomerang mode! The only thing that keep this thing above last place is it's fast paced, killing spree, usefulness that is the boomerang!

Fifth, oh yes! I get to rant soem moar!, is the Zero Knuckle. Why is this fifth you ask? While admittedly, stealing other enemies weapons was very cool at first, I soon realized that there just weren't that many weapons out there that I particularly favor. What with being poor rehashes of all the other really good weapons in the previous titles. While the only redeemable quality this gimmick has is the ability to grab on to ropes and poles, You have to wonder "Did I really need an whole new weapon just to be able to do this? I wouldn't be so hard on this one if I could use it against bosses in the same manner. Think about it, grabbing one of Sol Ti-whatever smokin' hot bot's name is spinning blades and tossing it right back at her stupid sadistic face would have been the one think that would have kept me from putting the game down when I finished it. I Also would have liked to use it to grab entire enemies and chuck them at all his little friends like I could with the recoil rod or like I could with one of there weapons, or maybe use him as a humanmaverick shield to keep my hair dry of bullet fire while using his gun to fire back! Over all it's not a bad weapon, it's just one I could find a lot of uses for.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 02:45:33 AM
I never played 2, So im going to say Recoil Rod. I really  liked that thing. Z knuckle wasnt as useful as it could have been. There were maybe 2 or 3 GOOD weapons that could be stolen. the rest kinds sucked.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 03:02:23 AM
Coming into fourth is the shield boomerang. I don't know why you guys neglected to include this one in your line up

I was more or less referring to the weapon that changes in every game, hence, the 'gimmick' weapon.  I considered the Shield Boomerang, but it's in 3 of the 4 games, so it didn't really fit in with the rest.

My YouTube Channel

Offline ParasiteBirth

• Useless Dweeb
  • A-Class Hunter
  • Some random dweeb
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 04:46:47 AM
on my side its Z-knuckles, why? come on! it simply rules!  :W

Check my YouTube Channel for Challenges, Speed Run videos and more!

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 08:54:32 AM
I´ve voted for the chain rod, for all the reasons mentioned above.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 08:56:38 AM
The Z Knuckle looks like Zero's grabbing for your balls.

"Cough."

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 09:16:44 AM
Chain Rod. It steals health then cuts them in half. Perfect.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 05:19:02 PM
can you play Grab Ass with a rod? didn't think so.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 06:50:57 PM
the first three.
never bothered with the knuckle other than swinging on vile's [ray splasher].

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 01:25:03 AM
can you play Grab Ass with a rod? didn't think so.
If it can grab a wall, it can damn well grab an ass.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 04:33:31 AM
it pierces a wall. there's a difference.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline thecrazygoji

• Net Navi
  • wait wat
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 04:36:15 AM
Chain.

Cuz you could flail it around.

And swing.

It doesn't wooooooooork...

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 09:17:29 PM
Just curious, does anyone actually use the charged Triple/Chain Rod?  It doesn't seem too useful, and your feet are nailed to the ground when it's in play.

My YouTube Channel

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 09:25:21 PM
use it midair, [twin slasher] [parasitic bomb].

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 09:39:33 PM
use it midair, [twin slasher] [parasitic bomb].

This. Lots of this.

Hell, even on ground it's useful if you trick bosses into corners.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 04:05:57 AM
it pierces a wall. there's a difference.
So you can pierce pants/skirt.  When did we specify a bare ass?

Offline Galappan

• Mode Change
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Defense Mode
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 04:40:17 AM
The most useful I would say is:

Recoil Rod
- I feel very secure when using it. As if no foe can touch or harm me. Plus with the 1000 Slash EX Skill I'm invincibile!!! Well...almost...kinda. :D
- The recoiling feature is very useful in tossing/clearing enemies, giving me extra height to my jump, and it can cancel Boss attacks specially useful during those devastating ones.
- The highlight of recoil rod for me is in Kelverian's stage during the elevator.

Z-Knuckle
- Has a good attack power on its own. The weapon stealing ability is very useful either during the course of the stage or against Bosses. It really depends on the stage. Sometimes both. *Thanks Axeloid!*
- The Charge Knuckle/Weapon Steal then tossing on enemies is a nice combo. The plucking feature is quite good too.
- Z-Knuckle is an excellent assist weapon.

Triple Rod
- It has great attack power and can do stock damage.
- The Pogo ability is useful in various occasion.

last will be...

Chain Rod
- I feel very stiff when using it. It's too short. It's weak, the chain stab can only deal 2 damage point and the Charge attack is same as triple rod. How lame and lazy(for the programmer) is that seriously?
- I expected it to be longer, more fluid like what the artwork tries to represent. The charge can be like entangling foe's or even bosses.
- The usage of swinging ability is quite limited (I blame whoever designed the stages structure). I think I only use it during the forest areas.
- Pulling enemies is cool. But I only do that just for the sake of unlocking the Power Form.

Just curious, does anyone actually use the charged Triple/Chain Rod?  It doesn't seem too useful, and your feet are nailed to the ground when it's in play.
It depends on the situation or which boss you're fighting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQB_zllO1Ow

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 06:41:26 AM
When did we specify a bare ass?

when i said Grab Ass.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 07:45:40 AM
I'm surprised you people who said the Recoil Rod haven't mentioned playing Super Mario in Zero 3.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 01:40:35 PM
Well, you could do that with the Triple Rod as well...

Offline Romantic Fool

• Since 1995
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009, 09:13:27 AM
Liked to push back [parasitic bomb] with the recoil rod. Fun.

Chain rod, kinda didn't use it much.

Triple rod, bit useless for me. Z1 I just hacked and slashed through everything cept for the far away enemies.

Z-knuckle, would have been awesome if you could just slam an enemy to the ground and stab it with whatever weapon you got it with, but capcom wouldn't do that [parasitic bomb]. Nonetheless perty useless for me.

Revolutionary

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 01:14:15 PM
It feels satisfying when you knock back a boss with the Recoil rod and do a good amount of damage.

that, and
Fire chip
+
Thousand slash
+
Inarabbita
=
RAEP

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.