Wich one was harder for you? MM9 or MM And Bass?

ParasiteBirth · 25974

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #75 on: August 07, 2009, 03:14:08 AM
Thank you, ObviousMan, but it's still one at a time.  The switcheroos only get you so far.  And they do not compare to MM9's shop items, the recovery they grant you is massive, as is the death trap immunity.  Most of your recovery options (Eddie being a major exception, but he's MM exclusive) in MM&B are worthless unless you're in a safe area.

are you sure that the game is really easier than its ancestors? cause i'm thinking you're just old enough and have gathered enough experience with Mega Man to learn the game's tricks quickly. it's the same thing i say to PB when he says Twilight Princess is easier than past Zeldas; it's not easier, you just have a better idea of what's coming.
Denied.  Besides MM&B; 1, 2, 7, and 8 are all harder than MM9, and with the exception of 7, I replay them all on a fairly regular basis.  4-6 are a blur in my head, though I have played them to completion on AC, but my memory of them isn't solid enough to make a good call.  MM3 is the only main-series Classic game that I would definitely call easier than MM9, and that is probably due in no small part to the fact that I replay it insanely more often than any other NES game.

The simple fact is that MM9's shop breaks it.  9 E Tanks, 1 M Tank, 3 Spike Guards, 3 Beat Pickups, all a Jewel Satellite camp away.  But because of the expected dependence on it, the designers left very little useful pick-up items.  Barely any stray tanks.  It's not a design that I'm fond of.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: August 07, 2009, 03:32:23 AM
True, true.  Item pick-ups should be worked into the levels more.  Finding a respawning enemy for farming bolts shouldn't have to be the main method to collect items.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: August 07, 2009, 03:35:06 AM
i can safely say MM5 is easier than 9. just Charge Shot your way through the game, and [sonic slicer] Wily with Beat.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: August 07, 2009, 03:40:28 AM
That gave me another thought: MegaMan 9 didn't have to make the weapons as awesome as it did when you couldn't rely on charge shots or armors anyway.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #79 on: August 07, 2009, 03:44:34 AM
Yeah, but awesome stuff is fun, regardless of what it compares to.

Besides, the feeling of a watered down arsenal for no reason other than relativity isn't exactly fun.  One of the downsides of ZXA; Model ZX is barely any better, it just has a weaker arsenal to compare to.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Captain Headdy

• Net Navi
  • Get Your Weapons Ready
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: August 09, 2009, 07:29:58 AM
Thank you, ObviousMan, but it's still one at a time.  The switcheroos only get you so far.  And they do not compare to MM9's shop items, the recovery they grant you is massive, as is the death trap immunity.  Most of your recovery options (Eddie being a major exception, but he's MM exclusive) in MM&B are worthless unless you're in a safe area.
Denied.  Besides MM&B; 1, 2, 7, and 8 are all harder than MM9, and with the exception of 7, I replay them all on a fairly regular basis.  4-6 are a blur in my head, though I have played them to completion on AC, but my memory of them isn't solid enough to make a good call.  MM3 is the only main-series Classic game that I would definitely call easier than MM9, and that is probably due in no small part to the fact that I replay it insanely more often than any other NES game.

The simple fact is that MM9's shop breaks it.  9 E Tanks, 1 M Tank, 3 Spike Guards, 3 Beat Pickups, all a Jewel Satellite camp away.  But because of the expected dependence on it, the designers left very little useful pick-up items.  Barely any stray tanks.  It's not a design that I'm fond of.

I could go on, but the argument would be stale by this point so I'll just call it quits.

While I do not agree with your views on what makes each game hard, I will respect your opinions. Let's just enjoy our vidya in our own ways no matter the difficulty.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: August 09, 2009, 07:50:40 AM
No, you have to win this debate!  Try harder!