Official Unofficial StarFox discussion thread

Ninja Lou · 38566

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 12:10:46 AM
I want to play as Andross and blow up all the new furry characters.  I'd never get tired of it.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 02:01:35 AM
After playing some nice mods based on FreeSpace, I could definitely go for a StarFox based one.

But all the same...stories should not have been run. If you really want to try and get a game out, KEEP THAT [parasitic bomb] ON LOCK until you're ready to release it. Then, it won't matter. A C&D wouldn't be able stop something that's already out n about on the internet.  8D

I'm hoping that Metroid 2 Remake is left alone, as well as this one. Every once in a while, it would be nice to get something like these, which Ninty or any other big company likely won't do. 

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 02:44:44 AM
and the end of MacBeth was also awesome

Is it bad that now I wanna replay the game again just for this part specifically? XD

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 11:30:58 PM
Apparently the Star Fox development team does know about this already, and their response was pretty much "good luck, just don't try to make money off of it."

Whether the suits in Nintendo's legal department agree or not remains to be seen.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 09:12:45 AM
Nintendo has had years to take this one down, but they haven't done it yet. Considering it's one of the more well known fan projects when it comes to Star Fox, I'd be surprised if Nintendo didn't hear about it already. I guess we'll see.

The same thing happened with SE and Chrono Trigger. Hell, that was probably the worst one of them all since they C&D'd the game I believe a week before it was completed, and the people behind it were working on it for four years.

As for why does Nintendo not make their own Star Fox... who the heck knows. More concentrated on making games that are sure to sell (ie. Mario and Zelda, all those Casual games too) rather than Star Fox, which is probably wouldn't sell as much.

Or pretty much any OTHER series. When was the last good Donkey Kong game that wasn't a port or remake? It also seems like they don't care about F-Zero a whole lot, since the last release was on game cube (and before that the SNES, note I'm talking about console games), and the last actual console Kirby game was on the N64 (discounting the racing-mini game Air Ride) also shows they really don't give a damn about it either. Fire Emblem isn't exactly a big topper either, or Advanced Wars, or a lot of other series. Nintendo really shows favor to Mario, Link, and Pokemon when it comes to games. They pump out more Mario spin-offs than mario games, every E3 we catch wind of something Zelda related, and Pokemon...I don't even have to say it, do I? I imagine Battle Revolution 2 will be announced shortly after the release of Pokemon *Insert metal/jewel here* to kick off the 5th gen.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 10:47:12 AM
The same thing happened with SE and Chrono Trigger. Hell, that was probably the worst one of them all since they C&D'd the game I believe a week before it was completed, and the people behind it were working on it for four years.
Difference with that one was that SE didn't know up until that point. Apparently, at least the Nintendo dev group does know about this, which is already a step up from that whole SE situation.

It also seems like they don't care about F-Zero a whole lot, since the last release was on game cube (and before that the SNES, note I'm talking about console games)
uhh... F-Zero X?

I see what you mean, by the way, but they're just making what sells. One other thing about the rest of that list you gave though... Fire Emblem is getting a decent amount of releases, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about with that one.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 07:24:55 PM
Compared to the japanese releases, we only have a fraction of the FE games last I checked, kinda like how we only had a portion of the FF series for awhile until they ported the japan-only ones to the PS1/GBA and released them here.

But to the topic on-hand, I estimate that Nintendo has a 80% chance of calling a C&D on Shadows of Lylat, going by all the stuff i've heard and such. Maybe 60-70% if the actual Starfox development team really doesn't give a damn as long as it's not used for profit. Of course, Nintendo itself makes the final decision here and may decide to not listen to them at all.  ::)

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 08:21:55 PM
Compared to the japanese releases, we only have a fraction of the FE games last I checked, kinda like how we only had a portion of the FF series for awhile until they ported the japan-only ones to the PS1/GBA and released them here.
how you guys enjoying your butchered remake of a 20 year old game?

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 08:24:55 PM
how you guys enjoying your butchered remake of a 20 year old game?

Never actually PLAYED FE, but this tempts me to grab a ROM and hunt for translation patches.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 08:29:49 PM
not the one i was talking about.
FE DS remake is awesome.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 08:32:22 PM
not the one i was talking about.
FE DS remake is awesome.

Curse you and your coincidental ways of making me fail.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 08:33:57 PM
If FE = Fire Emblem then I disagree.

While the gameplay is not bad it's FAR uglier than the GAB titles. I'm usually not a graphicswhore bit that was a major backstep.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #37 on: July 24, 2009, 03:04:08 AM
Looks a lot better in motion than stills.  Besides, you haven't seen ugly characters until you've checked out the women in F-Zero GX.  *shudder*

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: July 24, 2009, 04:13:35 AM
It's okay... F-Zero GX has Phoenix, the only person manly enough to pose with Captain Falcon and not be destroyed on an atomic level.

As for Star Fox... hey, remember Star Fox 64? Yeah, good times. I want to find the smartass that decided to make Command's story a glorified furry fanfiction and throw them into the path of a subway train. I couldn't stand how much they kept trying to veer the story from "Okay, there's a shitload of aliens trying to kill us all. Let's blow those fuckers up." ...you know... like any Star Fox worth its salt would do... to "HOLY [parasitic bomb] FOX YOU MUST APOLOGIZE TO KRYSTAL AND YIFF HER!!!"

And that is why my favorite ending in that game is the one where everyone but Fox and Falco dies and they go on to enter a spoof of the F-Zero league.

Offline Wanda Bear

• The Wanderess of RPM
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Currently Nowhere.
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: July 24, 2009, 04:19:33 AM
Wait! Wait! Wait! They haven't put my lovely Krystal in a Smash Bros game! T.T Oh god, why?! Honestly, I saw this coming....

Home sweet home

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: July 24, 2009, 04:33:18 AM
Anybody else feel like game series that revolve around Saturday morning cartoon level plots that feature anthros as the leads are always going to be destined for outcomes like this once people start focusing on storylines?

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: July 24, 2009, 04:39:52 AM
(facepalms as Sonic 2006 comes to mind)

...Ugh... why don't story writers understand you don't need a damn love plot whatsoever? It can sometimes work in an RPG, but not in everything. It works in... say... Lunar Knights... since Sabata's main motivation is to [tornado fang]ing murder Duke for killing Ellen, the girl he loved. It doesn't work to have a crappy loveplot between several anthro characters override the main point of the story or to take a notable character and have a really questionable kiss with a one-shot human character.

Thank god Unleashed quickly veered Sonic back on track in terms of goofy storyline with an annoying but strangely charming sidekick character. Star Fox was doomed to this track ever since they merged it with Dinosaur Planet and SF Adventures was born.

(You can see the endings for SF Command here and realize how many involve a romantic plotline of some sort... and the main catalyst usually is Krystal or Slippy's beau, Amanda.)

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: July 24, 2009, 04:43:13 AM
I'm personally waiting for Nintendo to give this series a kick in the ass and drop all the story bits that have accumulated from the StarFox Adventure days. They aren't Sonic Team after all, tea tables shall be upended one way or another, especially if they get Miyamoto the story destroyer involved with the series again. XD

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: July 24, 2009, 04:47:53 AM
Star Fox really doesn't need a story. You take this group of pilots, you throw Andross in there or some other evil baddie with a horde of space aliens and you have them blow the living crap out of everything that moves in space. Add in Slippy being a useless bastard and Falco being the snide jerk of the group and you got yourself a game. If the formula wasn't broken, don't fix it by trying to make it something else. This is what kills many promising game franchises or at least brings them into ruin.

Need I point out how Mario's story hasn't changed in about 25 years and yet the games are still a blast to play?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: July 24, 2009, 04:53:46 AM
That's always true. Gameplay will always be more important than story or logic by extension. In a lot of cases, stories tend to stifle the creativity of the gameplay because people then have to think of how much sense thing A makes in plot B's context and what have you until it becomes a whole mess of a thing. This could all could be prevented with one person saying "[tornado fang] logic, go wild and make sure it plays well". XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: July 24, 2009, 07:06:22 AM
Star Fox really doesn't need a story. You take this group of pilots, you throw Andross in there or some other evil baddie with a horde of space aliens and you have them blow the living crap out of everything that moves in space. Add in Slippy being a useless bastard and Falco being the snide jerk of the group and you got yourself a game. If the formula wasn't broken, don't fix it by trying to make it something else. This is what kills many promising game franchises or at least brings them into ruin.

Need I point out how Mario's story hasn't changed in about 25 years and yet the games are still a blast to play?

You know...they could kill Slippy or make him retire from Star Fox...and that'd work too!   -_-

Otherwise, I agree with you.  Star Fox is a prime example of why I think games need less story.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: July 24, 2009, 09:28:40 AM
uhh... F-Zero X?

I see what you mean, by the way, but they're just making what sells. One other thing about the rest of that list you gave though... Fire Emblem is getting a decent amount of releases, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about with that one.

For the record, I already mentioned F-Zero X, quite literally before your bold :P As for FE, I'll admit that it's gotten more love recently, but look at how long it took for Nintendo to bring it over state side. The fact that it's very delay has created a trope means that it's not exactly well looked upon with NoA in the early years. Not to mention it's one game every other year. Ever since Melee, we've gotten about 5 FE games; the second and third GBA games, the GC and Wii games, and the remake of the first game for the DS. In 8 years, only 5 games have come out. Granted it takes time to make RPGs, at least more time than other games, and particularly FE games, but NoA didn't even bother releasing the older games on a GBA cart.

If there's one company I actually would never WANT to work for, it's probably Nintendo. They don't give two shits about a lot of their series. Just put out Kirby and Pokemon on the handheld and Mario and Link on the console and the machines print money. Plus, how often do they come out with an original series? I mean, seriously, I think the most recent ones are the Golden Sun games and Starfy games. I mean, I know Capcom isn't exactly innocent of it either, but at least they try a bit more. Dead Rising, Zack and Wiki, and because they were under the name once, you could also count Okami, Viewtiful Joe, and God Hand. Even if most of those games aren't a series, it was at least an attempt to branch out.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: July 24, 2009, 10:02:47 AM
So much farce to dissect... Bleh, I'll do this when I'm not half asleep, just know that a lot of that post is kinda whiny.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: July 24, 2009, 12:50:40 PM
For the record, I already mentioned F-Zero X, quite literally before your bold :P
Umm... no, you meant F-Zero GX, which was on the GC. F-Zero X was on the N64, which you omitted completely.

I still don't get your complaining about the lack of FE games, considering they've released more of those than some other series that are completely neglected.

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: July 24, 2009, 04:46:55 PM
Kid Icarus, anyone?